Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2013 4:52:21 AM EDT
I have a revolver in .22lr with an interchangeable barrel chambered in .22mag. I do not own any .22mag bullets because I just can't see the benefit. I don't see there being anything I would have to dispatch that I couldnt do with a .22lr. I admit i don't know much about the .22mag round though. Can anyone lend any experience or insight?
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 5:02:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I have a revolver in .22lr with an interchangeable barrel chambered in .22mag. I do not own any .22mag bullets because I just can't see the benefit. I don't see there being anything I would have to dispatch that I couldnt do with a .22lr. I admit i don't know much about the .22mag round though. Can anyone lend any experience or insight?
View Quote
In recent months, .22 Mag has been easier to find in some places.

In a magic world where both were easily available, I am not sure the difference ballistically would make up for the difference in price.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 5:02:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

My little .22lr NAA mini...sometimes I do wish I'd gone with the mag version.  But then the barrel is so short I'm not sure it would make a significant difference.

Plus .22lr has always been a super cheap round compared to the magnum.  

Maybe for some hunting applications a mag would be better.  But for prepping purposes, I'd much rather have and stock up on .22lr.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 5:04:03 AM EDT
[#3]
There's not much fps gain from a typical handgun length barrels if you factor in hyper velocity rounds available in 22lr.

Bullet weights will be a tad bit higher in the mag vs something like Stingers.

22mag in a rifle is a whole nother story.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 5:20:08 AM EDT
[#4]
As posted above, not a huge benefit in a pistol.

My .22 Magnum rifles are a whole different kettle of fish.  They got a lot more smash than you might believe.  

I am a fan of the .22 Magnum.

There are .22 Mag rounds out there that the bullet construction is meant to expand at pistol velocities.  Consider sourcing some of those rounds and do your own "shoot off".  You may find your pistol shoots WAY better with .22LR ammunition than .22 Magnum.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 5:31:03 AM EDT
[#5]
The biggest advatage currently is availibility. I can walk into Gander any day of the week and get 22mag, it's not even behind the counter. I've seen 22LR maybe 3 times locally in the last 11 months.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 5:33:38 AM EDT
[#6]
My 22 mag pistols are flamethrowers. Lottsa boom, fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 6:16:59 AM EDT
[#7]
my ultra deep conceal piece is .22 mag. It has a lot of bark for such a little gun. I don't thing I would depend on it as a backup in just .22 lr.

Link Posted: 11/4/2013 6:20:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
my ultra deep conceal piece is .22 mag. It has a lot of bark for such a little gun. I don't thing I would depend on it as a backup in just .22 lr.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww71/GSGMAN/naafolder_zps6b4575ad.jpg
View Quote

You think that's "ultra deep conceal"...try loosing the "holster grip" and get a set of normal grip panels.  That thing will hide damn near anywhere!!

With the holster grip it's not much smaller than a P32/P3AT/LCP.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 6:35:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You think that's "ultra deep conceal"...try loosing the "holster grip" and get a set of normal grip panels.  That thing will hide damn near anywhere!!

-Emt1581
View Quote

It came with the hogue and I was not a fan of the 1 1/2 finger grip it provided me. With the holster grip I can clip it inside of bags and it still fits in mt 5th pocket. I like the pistol much more now that the trigger is covered when carrying and I can get a full grip on it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 6:51:37 AM EDT
[#10]
22 mag in a rifle is a potent killer

Link Posted: 11/4/2013 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#11]
22 magnum in a handgun is about equal in velocity to a 22 LR in a rifle.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
22 magnum in a handgun is about equal in velocity to a 22 LR in a rifle.
View Quote

And .22mag in a rifle is about equal to a 5.7 in a pistol...or so I've heard.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Waste of money in a handgun. Even in a carbine, 22mag gives you that extra punch but nothing really you cant do with good Stingers or Velocitors for 99% of what you would be using a magnum for anyway.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#14]
.22mag is a varmint round. It gives more range than a 22lr but costs less per round than centerfire varmint rounds like .222, .223, .204 ect. By varmint meaning not small game but something hunted other than trophy or meat.

Its usefulness in a handgun is debatable depending on its type and purpose. You posted an interchangeable barrel, could it possibly be a second cylinder?

I cant give you a prepper reason to have 22mag but as a shooter cant give a reason not to either. Sure sounds like fun. Ill probably end up with a PMR 30 eventually just for a range toy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#15]
The two uses I can think of where they would shine over LR in bad situations would be in a suppressed rifle for taking deer more effectively than LR without attracting too much attention in SHTF, and suppressed rifle for riot control in WROL, when instigators and other alphas taking a 35gr. V Max to the knee or sinus cavity without the shooter giving away position would tend to caution the spirits of any observant followers.

Link Posted: 11/4/2013 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#16]
It is legal in Maine to hunt deer with 22 mag.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#17]
better choice of bullet types with mag + 100-200fps and 50-80% more energy depending
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

eta  my rifle is a mag too
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a bolt action 22mag rifle and a 10/22 and will say there is a very noticeable difference between the two even when shooting the high velocity stuff in 22lr. You really notice the difference when shooting long range... the 22mag is still going pretty good at 150yards while the 22lr is really falling fast at 100 yards. I haven't done any ballstic testing on it but can tell you at 50 yards, the 22mag hits steel spinners with so much more energy than 22lr that it really is noticeable.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Having a ruger single 6 with a 9 1/2 barrel. That pistol was wonderful out to 150 on nutrarat. I never attempted the lr at that range because mags are prentiful. I set the adjustable sights @100yrd with mag and there was a slight drop with lrall using quality ammo. I honestly wonder at what barrel length on a rifle they work best.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I honestly wonder at what barrel length on a rifle they work best.
View Quote

I have heard that 14" has the highest velocity for 22 LR, so I imagine it would be a bit longer for 22 Mag.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#22]
22mag is easier to find right now, I prefer 22lr myself, If 22lr wont do it I will grab a shotgun or my 30-06...  If talking pistol It will be my 22lr, 9mm or 45acp.

I bought plenty of 22lr prior to the glut, however I had to cut back my shooting significantly...  I will be happy to see the day when I can grab a bulk pack at WM any day I choose.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#23]
The butcher I use for my hogs uses a .22 Mag lever action. He said he had too many problems with .22lr. My hogs last year were well over 300 lbs live weight, he killed all with one shot each. He also puts down cows with .22 Mag.

I've never owned a .22 Mag myself. Seeing this pic was the first time I've considered it. Tell me more about this gun and why I don't need to buy one first thing tomorrow morning :)

Link Posted: 11/5/2013 3:53:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Here is some real world data by BBTI.

Here is the link to the muzzle velocity charts and actual handguns.

.22 LR

.22 Mag

I will post the first set of numbers but the whole collection is right at the links and is pretty interesting to hand gunners.

.22 Mag Muzzle Velocities:

2" - 887
3" - 1089
4" - 1248
5" -1355
6" - 1484

.22 LR Muzzle Velocities

2" - 861
3" - 907
4" - 956
5" - 1029
6" - 1049

It's obvious in lengths over 5" that the .22 mag outperforms the .22lr in every way, but for pocket sized guns, or even snub nosed revolvers they are pretty much on par with each other, although the .22 mag delivers more muzzle energy more consistently. Before the great 2013 .22LR crisis you could buy 500 rounds of .22 any day of the week for the same price as .22mag, so if you would feeding a small handgun then .22LR made more sense.

If you are shooting a rifle though and want more ass out of your rimfire load then .22mag all the way.

Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:08:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The two uses I can think of where they would shine over LR in bad situations would be in a suppressed rifle for taking deer more effectively than LR without attracting too much attention in SHTF, and suppressed rifle for riot control in WROL, when instigators and other alphas taking a 35gr. V Max to the knee or sinus cavity without the shooter giving away position would tend to caution the spirits of any observant followers.

View Quote

That makes me want to get my marlin threaded
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I have both and have been shooting both in pistols and rifles at game for over 40 years. They both have their respective places but if I have to hit the woods with only one it will be my Ruger Single Nine 6-1/2" 22 magnum.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I would have to say it depends on the purpose which I would choose.  

The .22 LR I find more useful;  firearms are the most common, the ammo is normally found easily, it'll do a lot more than you think.   It does suffer from a lighter bullet construction, poor QC on half the ammo made due to price point control.  Good stuff is still good stuff; CCI doesn't make much junk and is one of my go to brands.   Plinking, use the milk carton fodder, shooting meaty pests use a better bullet if you want.   I kill a lot of pests with the dreaded remington golden bullet.  Seems to work fine by me but I buy the boxed in bricked offering not the milk carton type.  I avoid the loose bullet in the case syndrome that way.  You do get what you pay for.    I think it was arfcom where the guy did some .22 LR long range experiments.   The guy shot completely through a frozen turkey wrapped in a couple shirts IIRC.    That was at 200 yards, got through and through shots.  

The .22 magnum has it's place, right off the bat you get a choice to use better constructed bullet.  They have real jackets versus copper washed, although copper washed is still available like in the winchester dynamax.    My go to .22mag is the winchester super X .22 hollow point.   It's more expensive and noisier if that matters.   Oh and obviously it has a flatter trajectory.

Now the .17's I never got into.  The two .22's did more than I needed as far as I can see.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2013 8:20:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've never owned a .22 Mag myself. Seeing this pic was the first time I've considered it. Tell me more about this gun and why I don't need to buy one first thing tomorrow morning :)
View Quote

Its an North American Arms (NAA) 22 mag 5 shot revolver with 1 1/8 barrel and holster grip. I had an itch for a very small gun to use when walking the dog in the woods. It is a fun little rig but do not expect any accuracy over 20ft with it. They are very well made out of stainless steel and I got it lightly used for $200. NAA has a lot of different options for these little guns so I suggest checking out their website to see what fits your needs best.

They are angry little buggers and have some nice bark when fired due to the short barrel.

Before holster grip
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I like the NAA mouse guns. The 22 mag can be a show stopper all right.

They make a black powder one but never fired it in 20 yrs.

But for a range toy, get a 5-7 or go home.

Link Posted: 11/5/2013 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I keep my pistols in .22lr and i like my rifles in .17hmr!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 5:38:49 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm typically using .223 with light varmint loads over .22mag myself.  It's typically cheaper as .22mag has never been inexpensive, and I can reload the brass.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 5:46:42 AM EDT
[#33]
If it's a pmr-30, then yes.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 6:27:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

-Emt1581
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww71/GSGMAN/naafolder_zps6b4575ad.jpg

-Emt1581

I did that with mine and WOW I can hide it anyplace and it stills shoots ok
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 11:30:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Don't know about 22WM, but its sister cartidge, 17 HMR (from a rifle), will penetrate level IIIA body armor.  We shot it at a 2nd Chance demo.  At 50 yards, the bullet went through the front panel, through the clay torso, and out the back panel.  I have had nothing but respect for 17HMR and 22WM ever since.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top