Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2014 9:00:20 AM EDT
Well as long as she starts the alternator quit charging batteries went dead but she kept a runnin but it's a mechanically injected 12 valve cummins just thought I'd share my shitty day lol but still pretty cool my truck will run without an alternator and batteries
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Pics or your full of shit.  And there had better be some turrets and armor on board!

I have an idea of what my ideal BOV would be...with run flats, excellent/higher suspension, plenty of storage space, gas, etc.  But it'd be waaayyy out of the budget right now.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 9:30:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Turn Key off then tell me how it does.

Never ever mess with the injector timing unless you can cut the air off, have had 2-3 buddies call telling me they just blew up their diesel, it just would not shut off.

Link Posted: 1/9/2014 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#3]
If it's a manual, you can bump start it if it isn't too cold out.  Fuel shutoff has to be in the run position though...and that's pulled down by a solenoid and relay...takes some power.  You can do it by hand though.
To shut it off, just lift up on the fuel shutoff on the back of the pump...the thing with the rubber collapsible boot on it.

Link Posted: 1/9/2014 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I love the old mechanical diesels........even with the push-pull fuel cut off!
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#5]
yea.   i want some pics...

please.    
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well as long as she starts the alternator quit charging batteries went dead but she kept a runnin but it's a mechanically injected 12 valve cummins just thought I'd share my shitty day lol but still pretty cool my truck will run without an alternator and batteries
View Quote

You never knew that???

Link Posted: 1/9/2014 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah of I shut the key off I'm done for but it was pretty cool I did get some weird looks when my turn signals, and brake lights didn't work, and she's not exactly a looker but I'm proud of it and it's an old picture from last summer

I was joking about the ultimate shtf vehicle  but it will run with out batteries and an alternator lets see a gasser do that!
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You never knew that???

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You never knew that???

No I did it's kind of ironic actually I'm going to school for diesel mechanics and I was on my way home from the college when this happened
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No I did it's kind of ironic actually I'm going to school for diesel mechanics and I was on my way home from the college when this happened
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You never knew that???

Yeah, they don't teach anything worthwhile nowadays...  

Link Posted: 1/9/2014 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You never knew that???

I agree seems to me like a big waste of money but it's that piece of paler with my name on it that people look for nowadays
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Good diesel mechanics can do alright for themselves...

Link Posted: 1/9/2014 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I sure hope so! Around where I live their isn't very many good diesel mechanics especially at the dealers.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#13]
You could also install a spring starter and not even need electrical power to start it.

Mine:

Link Posted: 1/9/2014 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You could also install a spring starter and not even need electrical power to start it.

Mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/SD70MAC/Dodge%20Ram/null_zpse81d0fda.jpg
View Quote

I love that bumper and I wish mine was a ext cab
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#15]
On the old Benz Diesels they wouldn't even shut off if you lost 12v power. You had to pop the hood and push a manual fuel shutoff to stop the engine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If it's a manual, you can bump start it if it isn't too cold out.  Fuel shutoff has to be in the run position though...and that's pulled down by a solenoid and relay...takes some power.  You can do it by hand though.

To shut it off, just lift up on the fuel shutoff on the back of the pump...the thing with the rubber collapsible boot on it.  
View Quote

Replaced mine with a push pull cable (no worries about theft)

Most Mopar guys appreciate this one there both Cummins powered the black one has a 95 12V/NV4500 the brown is a 93 with a 12V/618

Link Posted: 1/10/2014 4:12:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh I am jealous !!! I want a cummins pretty bad. I want to get rid of my 6.0 chevy gas and upgrade to a cummins I love how he mechanical trucks can run without power yes starting is one issue but I have heard you can bypass the key and manually turn the pump to the run position.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top