Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2014 2:07:47 PM EDT
I specified Irwin because, in my experience, they are the best and will not break/bend/snap/strip like the cheapo HF/Wal-Mart/etc. imitators will do.  

What's your view on these for kits/survival?  

In the wilderness I honestly can't think of many uses for them.  However, around the house, the vehicle, yard, etc...PLENTY of uses!  Lowe's has them for under $10 each.  I bought two recently just because they are so cheap.  Did the same with the Mora 511 but that's another subject.  

My thinking is that these will grip and allow me to turn, release, or just get some sort of leverage on just about anything that could need it.  So I think having one in the vehicle as well as in the tool box is a good plan.  Not sure about a BOB/GHB due to the weight, but again, what do you think?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#1]
YES!!!   Needle nose, Square jaws and Clamp??? style.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No, I just have the regular/original kind.  I've been told by others that the needle nose are near useless and that they don't really lock on to anything the way the originals do.  No real experience with the clamp.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No, I just have the regular/original kind.  I've been told by others that the needle nose are near useless and that they don't really lock on to anything the way the originals do.  No real experience with the clamp.

-Emt1581
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

That's plain silly, don't believe everything you hear...

Most every tool has a unique suitability for some purpose.

I used the so-called 'needle nose' Irwin V-G's for a unique task just the other day.

A couple years ago Irwin started producing V-G's in Asia. There was a heads up post here to get the US made ones while you could. Guess what I did?

I have a SHTF Tacticool Technical BOB Toolkit in a County Comm pouch that is really...

...uh, tacticool.  

I've been meaning to post pix of it...

The smallest needle-nosed VG is an integral part of it.

Also, IMHO, avoid the V-G's with the plastic covered handles, unless there is a good reason not to.

Sitting in the [ant infested    ]  container right now, and looked in the small tool cabinet to the left of the computer 'desk' and there is a large V-G [7WR, with the plastic on the handles ---ugh] and a pair of the smaller [6lc] with a sort of combo needle-nose and 'large' open round area... like this...

Vice grips are generally a crude tool when you have an array of the proper sockets and wrenches, etc, available. [I do]  But if you can't carry that array, V-G's can be a life saver.

A critical component of some survival kits.

Vise Grip mfgr's several V-G's with cheesy additional tools on the handles like multi-tools have.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#4]

I have worked with my hands my whole life, part of it as a professional mechanic.  Vise grips are not my first choice for any fastener, but they work and sometimes have to be used when the fastener is rounded off by conventional means.  

In rough times, I can see a small vise grip being used for removing nuts on chain link fence gate hardware to gain access, to remove and replace parts on a vehicle, as a pot handle, etc, etc.  They could replace a set of metric and standard wrenches as long as you didn't care about damaging what you were using them on.  

Pliers like in a Leatherman or Gerber are useful, they just don't have the holding power on nuts that a locking vise grip has.  There is a product from Leatherman called the Crunch that has a set of locking pliers built in.  That might be just the ticket for a BOB or GHB

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep vise grips, Channel Locks, regular and needle nose pliers, crescent wrench and 4 in 1 screwdriver in my jeep.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a bad idea at all. Between a good VG and a multi-tip screwdriver you've got a fairly useful tool kit without taking up much space or weight. It's not an ideal kit, but it will get most rough jobs done. Quick basic car repairs (tighten down a hose clamp before adding water for coolant, for example), turning on the water somewhere... Heck, maybe add an adjustable wrench in there, some teflon tape and a little bottle of threadlock. Mind you, if we're talking bug out BAG I'm probably skipping all this in favor of a little multi-tool, but if leaving via vehicle? Pretty handy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top