Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2015 9:01:40 PM EDT
I'm not sure if it's new, but it's a great idea.

Here's how it works

eta the website http://www.thestickler.com/
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool! It wouldn't be hard to rig that up to a gear reduction and a lawn mower engine.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#2]
That idea has been around since at least the 1930's.  It is a product liability carrier's nightmare.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:42:00 PM EDT
[#4]
That looks like an accident waiting to happen.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]
We used to split large diameter logs in 48" lengths to feed my old man's gargantuan wood fired boiler.

We took one of the sticklers and fabed up an adapter plate and shaft and attached it to the post hole digger on our skid loader.

That was a machine that did incredible amounts of work with very little effort, but when things went south, it was very aggravating.

The old man is older and doesn't feel like humping 48" logs any longer so he processes in 24" lengths now.

I do not miss the days of running that contraption.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#6]
It looks lethal.

I ran a google search on stickler wood splitter accidents ( didn't find any ) but did come across a few noteworthy comments.

Farmall Cub: http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=40902
I know that George Willer used one like that and liked it a lot. I agree with you in that it doesn't look very safe but I believe when operated properly the potential for injury is probably no worse than any other type of log splitter. They all can do some serious damage to you if you don't pay attention and follow the proper procedures.

As with all equipment like this, just usage carries a certain amount of risk no matter what machine you are using.. the trick is, is to know your tools/machines and work safe within it's specified operating enveilop."

Stickler log splitters are only as dangerous as the person operating one. My neighbor has one set up on a 3 point hitch just like a post hole digger. Backs up to the wood pile and does a nice job of splitting. Gotta be smarter than the equipment we're workin on. :shock: I'm NOT trying to be a wisea**, but any peice of machinery has the potential to kill you if something goes wrong or improperly operated. I've spent MANY days cutting slab wood with a cut off saw but would not do it today. Saw hasn't changed but I have. (gettin old and slow). Never had a cut (thank God) from the saw but have a few scars from wood flying out of a splitter and bouncing around the county before finding soft body tissue to stop it. :censored: Lots of people have been hurt and even died as a result of improperly using an axe as well as a maul and splitting wedges, so we have to be careful no matter what we are operating. Hand tools included. Be safe, be careful. Grump

View Quote

Found a PTO setup

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/archive/index.php/t-49569.html
Don't laugh!
I bought a used one of those that fits on the 3 point hitch on my tractor and is powered from the PTO.
I can split logs easier and much faster than any of my neighbors with their expensive hydraulic splitters.
I admit it's dangerous but so is most of the machinery we use.
Mine has safties installed and the one shown in the video came with a safty switch that does not appear to be in use.

Here is a picture of mine:
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/272/img0570ue.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/img0570ue.jpg/)

Bill
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd rather use my maul.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:06:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd rather use my maul.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:59:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd rather use my maul.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd rather use my Huskee 22 ton hydraulic splitter.  In fact, I did, today.  About a half cord of hickory.  It should be ready by the 2016/2017 winter.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:55:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

this
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd rather use my maul.

this

Especially for the downright silly-sized pieces shown in the video.  They would split a hell of a lot faster with a splitting maul than all the nonsense they were doing in the video.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:38:36 AM EDT
[#12]
What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I've seen those around for years.  They used to be called the unicorn or rhino splitter by the people that I talked to. Like anything else around a farm or work place. Don't take it seriously and it will kill you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:01:43 AM EDT
[#14]
A place where I worked in high school sold the pto-driven one. It was called a Bark Buster. A small 16-25hp diesel could run it while idling. It split wood so fast that you needed 1 person to bring wood, one person to split, and another to haul it away.

There were some lawsuits over it due to sleeves/gloves getting caught or a piece of wood spinning and injuring someone.

They turn up at tractor auctions every now and then.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#15]
not in a million years.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I can't embed. There's other videos....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99U-_ckFn2Q
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw a video of one mounted to an excavator, seems like the only really safe way to use one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top