Page / 6
Posted: 4/10/2015 3:56:26 PM EDT
FYSA

Motor Snorkel tri-fuel generator conversions

http://www.motorsnorkel.com/
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, times sure are tough...

The regulator alone is a good chunk of that price, on eBay...

Which one for the EU2000i?
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one of the "older" tri-fuel adapters. They are pretty sweet. This new kit is even better.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, times sure are tough...

The regulator alone is a good chunk of that price, on eBay...

Which one for the EU2000i?
View Quote

http://www.motorsnorkel.com/motor-snorkel-tri-fuel-natural-gas-propane-and-gasoline-conversion-kit-3055.html
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 5:18:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is this kit mfr GTG?  Been thinking about this upgrade for a while.
View Quote

Same question.  For $100.00 I'd love the options of propane/natural gas.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I've read good things about US Carburetion propane kits on these boards.
I'm taking a shot.

The other one I know of is Propane Carbs
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Ahh, I bit.  $110 to the door and the install seems straightforward.  There doesn't seem to
be any permanent modifications to the carb so if  something fails big-time I'm still OK.
Thanks for the heads up OP.  AR15.com, spending everything I have a little at a time
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I've gotten two from US Carb at full price. That's a damn good deal. I've installed one on the EU2000i, easy peasy. I haven't installed the other one yet, been sitting in my closet. It requires me to cut a mounting bracket and I've been too lazy. Champion3500  for that one. Jump on this deal, boys.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks OP. I bit. I'm in for one for my EU6500.  

I have mixed feelings about one for my EU2000.  I want to keep that unit light, small and very portable- The wife uses it tailgating more than I do.  If I had a winter storm the EU 6500 would be the one I would hook up to my home system on natural gas.  If we had a long term incident and the natural gas went down, we'd go to super stingy  battery mode. The EU2000 would be used sparingly with limited gasoline supplies to help support my ~300 watts of solar  panels I have.

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks OP. I bit. I'm in for one for my EU6500.  

I have mixed feelings about one for my EU2000.  I want to keep that unit light, small and very portable- The wife uses it tailgating more than I do.  If I had a winter storm the EU 6500 would be the one I would hook up to my home system on natural gas.  If we had a long term incident and the natural gas went down, we'd go to super stingy  battery mode. The EU2000 would be used sparingly with limited gasoline supplies to help support my ~300 watts of solar  panels I have.

View Quote

I plan on mounting the high (usually at the bottle) and low pressure (the one in the kit) regulators together at the bottle, so the only thing at the generator itself will be the connection hose.
I'll use a QD fitting with a dust cap to protect it.
I think that would work really well for an EU2000i

ETA

I'm thinking of mounting the regulator similar to this video, off of the generator.
(just the regulator part - he's using air fittings as QDs which I don't think is a good idea)

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#11]
They do not have a kit for my generator.

Is all that matters the engine? I have a Honda GX390 engine and they sell a kit for a generator that has that engine.

Do all same type engines have the same intake manifold or can that change based on who makes the generator?
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is all that matters the engine? I have a Honda GX390 engine and they sell a kit for a generator that has that engine.

Do all same type engines have the same intake manifold or can that change based on who makes the generator?
View Quote

Mach,

What make and model generator?

I am willing to bet the engine and carburetor/manifold are standard to a specific engine.

I have a Predator generator than uses a copy of a Honda engine.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Mach,

I am willing to bet the engine and carburetor/manifold are standard to a specific engine.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mach,

I have a BlackMax PM0496750 with a 13 HP Honda GX390 Engine.

I emailed the company, but doubt I will get an answer before the deal is over on Sunday.

It might be worth getting the Blackmax they list that has the same engine and hope the intake manifold is the same.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I emailed the company, but doubt I will get an answer before the deal is over on Sunday.

It might be worth getting the Blackmax they list that has the same engine and hope the intake manifold is the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mach,

That's probably a safe bet, same manufacturer, same engine.
You could order and then call on Monday to confirm.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I almost bought one of these years ago when the price was $267

I found the old pages, they are still up and the only thing you chose was the engine, not the genny make, so I am willing to bet the same Honda GX390 across genny brands all have the same carburetor and intake manifold.

I am going to order and then call them on Monday, that is a good idea.

worse case is I need a new intake manifold gasket. I could probably make one of those if I had to.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#16]
The thing I like about this new model is the low profile of the snorkel.
The older ones had a 1" high aluminum block that raised the air filter and created obstruction problems inside the case, or required drilling the carb in something like a Honda EU2000i.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#17]
and it looks like my Blackmax is a Sams Club rebranded Powermate, so I think I will order the Powermate kit that has the same engine.

ETA. and they don't have it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Arfcom strikes again, now with this on the whim buy maybe I'll get around to installing the transfer switch I have for my generator ha
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's mine.  I like the Motor Snorkel system

http://3gn.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=675301

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here's mine.  I like the Motor Snorkel system

http://3gn.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=675301
View Quote

Good read, thanks
Made hot
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

They don't list mine either so I ordered the generic kit and listed my specs. I have contacted US Carb in the past, they will have one that fits any Honda.

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Hello everyone.  I am a representative of US Carburetion, the manufacturer of Motor Snorkel.  We noticed that we were getting guests to our website from this thread and we wanted to drop by and say thank you for your interest in our product.  I am monitoring the thread and I am happy to assist anyone with any questions that you may have about generator conversion with Motor Snorkel.  Thanks again for your interest.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 12:08:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Hello everyone.  I am a representative of US Carburetion, the manufacturer of Motor Snorkel.  We noticed that we were getting guests to our website from this thread and we wanted to drop by and say thank you for your interest in our product.  I am monitoring the thread and I am happy to assist anyone with any questions that you may have about generator conversion with Motor Snorkel.  Thanks again for your interest.
View Quote
I have a brute 3500 running watt generator by Briggs i bought last year from Menards. Kit availability?

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 12:19:02 AM EDT
[#24]
In, good price and one of these has been on my to do list for a couple of years. Best price I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:10:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

with this kit installed on the honda EU2000i, how do you shut off the gasoline flow while running on propane?

thanks,
ar-jedi
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:57:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The thing I like about this new model is the low profile of the snorkel.
The older ones had a 1" high aluminum block that raised the air filter and created obstruction problems inside the case, or required drilling the carb in something like a Honda EU2000i.
View Quote

Yeah, the old version, I simply got a custom carb with it and opted to keep the old one instead of a core credit. That way if the carb ever went down, I still have the OEM carb to throw in. As well all know, 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

The regulator fits nicely on my eu2000i and doesn't make it much bulkier. Yeah, if you pack it in somewhere, you have to be a little more wary of how to pack the thing but I haven't found it to be a big deal yet. Not when I got propane and NG available, this is more important.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:58:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

with this kit installed on the honda EU2000i, how do you shut off the gasoline flow while running on propane?

thanks,
ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks,
ar-jedi

I don't have the new kit, but the old one came with a valve, you spliced the gas line and simply put the valve in and crimped each end and instant gas on/off switch for when you needed to stop feeding gasoline in.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 2:26:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I need a kit for a Honda EU3000IS. Do you have one on sale? And one for the Champion series?
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 2:49:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't have the new kit, but the old one came with a valve, you spliced the gas line and simply put the valve in and crimped each end and instant gas on/off switch for when you needed to stop feeding gasoline in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks,
ar-jedi

You 'crimped' the thin rubber gas line tubing on a 2000?  How?

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 4:47:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks,
ar-jedi

You simply need to install a fuel petcock valve in-line of the gas line.  If you had extra tubing you could easily drill and  mount the petcock to the exterior of the generator if you didn't want to open the cover the get to the fuel line and petcock.  

You 'crimped' the thin rubber gas line tubing on a 2000?  How?

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 4:51:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
One of my gennys is a Honda EM6500SX, I see listed on the site models for the  EM6500S OR the EM6500X BUT NOT a EM6500SX.  Are these units compatible with the EM6500SX?

Thanks in advance, want to get the right one.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Any idea on run times for an EU2000 on a 20 lb. propane tank?
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 6:31:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

Good morning.  I put two of the kits in my cart, then noticed that the website advertised free shipping for $199 orders.  I added a few gaskets to bring the total up to $199.94, but the cart is still showing $12.90 for shipping.

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 7:55:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Purchased a trifuel for the Honda EU6500is, great price!
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have a brute 3500 running watt generator by Briggs i bought last year from Menards. Kit availability?  
View Quote

Hi Rat_Patrol - yes, we have a kit for that generator.  Our universal kit will fit that engine.  All you have to do is provide the generator brand name, engine brand name and engine model number in the fields on the product page before you add the product to the cart, and our technicians will match up the correct Motor Snorkel for your generator.  In your case we definitely have a kit that will fit that particular engine, but in the event that we would not, we would notify a customer immediately and refund the purchase price 100% immediately.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

thanks,
ar-jedi
View Quote

ar-jedi - thank you for your interest.  I have reached out to our lead master technician with your question.  He once showed me how this is done, but I don't remember the specifics so I've sent him a text message to ask him to remind me.  When he replies, i'll let you know.  If memory serves we have some sort of new mechanism that you use to replace the spring based "switch" on the gasoline flow control mechanism on the Honda EU20000i.

I'll get back to you.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:35:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Also guys I wanted to point out that you need to consider what type of fuel that you are going to use and to make sure that you have a way to connect to that fuel source.  For propane connections check out our NPSK-12 and NPSK-6 connection kits.  Many people also purchase an engine Tachometer (sku TACH).  The weekend promo includes free shipping with a total order of $199 or greater and if you need the connection accessories you may as well get everything you need in one go.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:47:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mach,

Hi Desert_AIP:  The engine is what matters mostly on these kits.  The kit that you need for your Blackmax generator with the GX390 Honda engine is here.  But you never have to worry about ordering the wrong kit with us.  We have a 1 year return policy (as long as the product us unused) and we guarantee that the kit we send you will fit your generator - if it doesn't we will send you the correct kit at no additional cost to you or we will give you a 100% refund if we don't have a kit that works.  Thanks for your interest in our product.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:02:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Good morning.  I put two of the kits in my cart, then noticed that the website advertised free shipping for $199 orders.  I added a few gaskets to bring the total up to $199.94, but the cart is still showing $12.90 for shipping.

View Quote

I updated the shipping settings in our website.  We had them set for $199.99 instead of $199.00.  You should be able to get the free shipping offer if you place your order now.  If not, go ahead and complete the order and email us at [email protected], provide your order number and a copy of this thread and our CSR will credit you the $12.90 on Monday when we process the order for shipping.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Any idea on run times for an EU2000 on a 20 lb. propane tank?
View Quote

We usually compare gasoline and propane as a gallon per gallon comparison.  If memory serves the 20# propane tank is about 5 gallons.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Hey, apologies as I'm on the road and using the mobile site.  Do you guys have a dedicated kit for the Yamaha ef3000is?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

thanks,
ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks,
ar-jedi

Ok here is the answer from our master tech.  

Honda incorporated a large gasoline on off knob with the ignition switch so when the big knob is moved to the off position,  it not only turns off the gasoline but grounds out the ignition. If a snorkel is installed, the knob needs to be in the ON position but this would also allow gasoline to flow. So I designed a special spring/screw combo that replaces the oem knob screw and allows the option to override the ignition switch but not the gasoline portion.  So it would  have ignition for use on alternative fuel but the gasoline petcock would remain off. However it still works normally for gasoline operation.

When you place your order, please follow up with an email to [email protected], include your order number and request the gasoline switch kit for the Honda EU2000.  The reason that I am saying this is that this switch adapter is not yet part of our standard kit and I want to make sure that you get it with your kit order.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Hey, apologies as I'm on the road and using the mobile site.  Do you guys have a dedicated kit for the Yamaha ef3000is?

Thanks
View Quote

Hi 0612Devil.  Here is the kit that you need.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:30:01 AM EDT
[#44]
I haven't checked up at all..... for someone that has one can you get the connections to hook up propane etc for a hardware store or is it a proprietary connect that would require me to buy the connection from  US Carburetion?
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Hi Desert_AIP:  The engine is what matters mostly on these kits.  The kit that you need for your Blackmax generator with the GX390 Honda engine is here.  But you never have to worry about ordering the wrong kit with us.  We have a 1 year return policy (as long as the product us unused) and we guarantee that the kit we send you will fit your generator - if it doesn't we will send you the correct kit at no additional cost to you or we will give you a 100% refund if we don't have a kit that works.  Thanks for your interest in our product.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mach,

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I updated the shipping settings in our website.  We had them set for $199.99 instead of $199.00.  You should be able to get the free shipping offer if you place your order now.  If not, go ahead and complete the order and email us at [email protected], provide your order number and a copy of this thread and our CSR will credit you the $12.90 on Monday when we process the order for shipping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you.

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#47]
According to the pics of the universal kit, there is no hose to get to the propane tank. What other parts\supplies are needed for full propane operation?
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#48]
I have two EU2000i gens.
I currently have the following in my cart:
2x Tri-Fuel Conversion Kits

SKU: MSK3103
2x Tank Connection Kit - 6 ft.

SKU: NPSK6
2x Quick Disconnect Kit

SKU: QDC38
1x Tachometer

SKU: TACH
Is this everything I need, except for the gas valve that you are going to ask your tech about?  Or anything that won't work together?

Thanks.

(No problem reaching the $199.00 free shipping limit....

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

According to the pics of the universal kit, there is no hose to get to the propane tank. What other parts\supplies are needed for full propane operation?
View Quote

Pretty sure you need one of these:

NPSK-6

NPSK-12

Same thing, with different hose lengths.  I picked the 6 ft. hoses, because I don't intend to run mine on an LP tank.

Note that they state that these are for 20HP gens and below.

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#50]
This has been a back-burner project for a while, just placed an order for two tri fuel kits and hose kits.  Thanks to OP for posting and to US Carb for the support in this thread.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top