Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2010 2:56:26 AM EDT
I just picked up a Taurus Judge Public Defender for $325 in new condition.  I had been eyeing those things for a while in hopes of finding a good deal on one and the wife having it for the house.  I also was thinking I could use it to toss in a bug out bag with some game load and hunt with it if need be.  Anything is "possible" I was just wondering how effective it would realistically be and whated to share that idea with everybody.
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 4:21:04 AM EDT
[#1]
My kids will tell you that it's great for hunting watermelons. They show it on TV even.....
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 4:39:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Not just no but hell no. Have you even shot the damn thing?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 6:18:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Go shoot some pattern boards and you'll find your answer.
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 6:32:05 AM EDT
[#4]
One of my firearms inst. use's her's(yeah HER) to quell hunt.
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 6:36:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a friend up here who bought one.  According to him, it's sorely lacking on squirrels.  The squirrels up here are tiny.
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#6]
The Judge is the most over hyped, useless firearm ever brought to market.
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Have you?
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

This. WTF are you planning on hunting with .410?

Link Posted: 3/24/2010 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just picked up a Taurus Judge Public Defender for $325 in new condition.  I had been eyeing those things for a while in hopes of finding a good deal on one and the wife having it for the house.  I also was thinking I could use it to toss in a bug out bag with some game load and hunt with it if need be.  Anything is "possible" I was just wondering how effective it would realistically be and whated to share that idea with everybody.

Please don't let her use that for Home Defense, .410 or .45LC is terrible for HD. It's good for snakes, that's about it, unless you want to keep it for that purpose, I suggest selling it.

See The BoT.
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate these guns. I've sold a bunch of them. No matter what these are still a Taurus revolver. I have sent off more Taurus revolvers off for repair than any other firearms combined. People think that the Judge fires a bad guy seeking projectile. I call them a 55 and over gun, because it seems as if the only guys interested in the Judge are age 55 and over. Needless to say, stay away from them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I've seen several photo's recently in Boar Hunter magazine of pigs that have been killed with the Taurus Judge. I imagine a hard cast 45LC at fairly close range gets the job done but definitely not in my top ten for pig killing firearms. I have a TC Contender chambered in 3" .410 and 45 LC and it's rather limited by the ten inch barrel and bead sight so I can only imagine how handicapped a short barrel 2.5" shell would be.
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I hate these guns. I've sold a bunch of them. No matter what these are still a Taurus revolver. I have sent off more Taurus revolvers off for repair than any other firearms combined. People think that the Judge fires a bad guy seeking projectile. I call them a 55 and over gun, because it seems as if the only guys interested in the Judge are age 55 and over. Needless to say, stay away from them.

That is so true! As a fellow gun peddler I get sick of the guys coming in to look at this gun. They haven't bought a new gun since 1973 but they saw it on TV, exploding a watermelon, and want it for "home defense."

There are so many things wrong with a Judge for "home defense" it's not even worth typing out. The only myth I'm surprised we don't hear about this gun is the "racking the slide" myth. "Just cocking the hammer will send them running!"
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please don't let her use that for Home Defense, .410 or .45LC is terrible for HD. It's good for snakes, that's about it, unless you want to keep it for that purpose, I suggest selling it.

See The BoT.

Now I'll agree that the Taurus revolver is a questionable weapon to bet your life on, but 45LC is as formidable a round as anyone needs for self defence, though preferably in a higher quality weapon. What others say about repairs on Taurus's is spot on. My preference is for Ruger's. They should be named Rugger's because they are hands down the most durable or rugged hand carried weapon made!
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#15]
just get a rock and learn how to throw it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 9:40:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't get the judge. It's very over hyped so it seems. The .410 shells lack any decent amount of penetration for it to drop a BG. Check out that box o' truth link for a more in depth review.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 5:32:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There's your answer.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 5:38:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Now you know why it was in new condition. They original owner (or more) shot it a couple of times and saw what a POS it was and sold it quick trying to minimize their loss. American Rifleman magazine is probably responsible for 90% of Taurus sales. Their sales certainly aren't based on reputation or word of mouth.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 5:46:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Say what?  I'll have you know I am 55 and hate everything Taurus, especially the Judge line.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 5:52:26 AM EDT
[#20]
There are better, more accurate 45LC's out there for medium game.

Plus the Public Defender isn't "+p" rated
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 5:56:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Testing 410 Slugs and Buckshot in the Taurus Judge

It's a fun gun that is not very good at much.  There are better choices for nearly all survival situations.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#22]
My brother owns one.

I have shot a variety of shot and slugs in it.

It's neat. It simply doesn't fill any void I have...

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I have one, and I do no reccomend it for hunting. I use mine for running around the desert, and it is only a "just in case" gun for snakes.  I have taken a few jack rabbits with it but it is not something I would want to rely on to feeding my family with.  

About the only other thing it is good for is having a little bit of fun with out at the range.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't know about hunting but the judge is great for fishing. It'll hold a 14 foot jon boat in a 10 knot wind.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Go shoot some pattern boards and you'll find your answer.
Yep.

Look for a circle with your game in the middle unharmed.

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I kind of feel bad for the OP. I wish he could have heard all this before he bought the damn thing. It really is nearly worthless as a shotgun.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

See The BoT.

This
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See The BoT.

Now I'll agree that the Taurus revolver is a questionable weapon to bet your life on, but 45LC is as formidable a round as anyone needs for self defence, though preferably in a higher quality weapon. What others say about repairs on Taurus's is spot on. My preference is for Ruger's. They should be named Rugger's because they are hands down the most durable or rugged hand carried weapon made!

I prefer something that exhibits more reliable expansion.  But you know how it is, YMMV, IMHO and all that.

And I kind of feel bad for the OP too, wish he had asked The Hive first.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought it knowing I could get my money out of it if I wanted.  I see them selling for over 500 so I figure I could shoot it and get my money back if I didn't like it.  It's not going to replace my wife's Smith 357 as a home defense gun or my Rem 870 for hunting.  I just figured it takes up very little space and I could kill birds, squirrels, rabbits, etc.  I can hunt with my .308 or 12gauge but I can't put either in my pocket.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I bought it knowing I could get my money out of it if I wanted.  I see them selling for over 500 so I figure I could shoot it and get my money back if I didn't like it.  It's not going to replace my wife's Smith 357 as a home defense gun or my Rem 870 for hunting.  I just figured it takes up very little space and I could kill birds, squirrels, rabbits, etc.  I can hunt with my .308 or 12gauge but I can't put either in my pocket.

Please don't take all this the wrong way. We want you to succeed and be happy and healthy. Most of us honestly believe there are better solutions.

If you like shooting the judge, enjoy it. Nothing wrong with having a firearm you enjoy and like to shoot. We have given you some good reasons why it is not preferred for hunting and defense, but as OP always says, shooting stuff is fun.

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Please don't take all this the wrong way. We want you to succeed and be happy and healthy. Most of us honestly believe there are better solutions.

If you like shooting the judge, enjoy it. Nothing wrong with having a firearm you enjoy and like to shoot. We have given you some good reasons why it is not preferred for hunting and defense, but as OP always says, shooting stuff is fun.

I hear ya.  I'm going to take a hard look at it.  It wasn't something I had to have or I would have bought it new in the box.  I know the guy I bought it from and with 5 rounds through it it's worth 325 even if just to resale or trade one day.  I didn't know people were so down on them though.  Guys at work were pissed when they heard I got it at that price.  I'm going to shoot it and play with it but take a hard look at it and decide what function if any I have for it thanks.  Has anyone seen the new winchester round made for the judge?
Link Posted: 3/27/2010 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#32]
There are a few videos around of guys shooting clay pigeons with a Judge, if I wanted to shoot flying birds with a pistol it would be my choice.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I don't know about hunting but the judge is great for fishing. It'll hold a 14 foot jon boat in a 10 knot wind.
LOL !!

Link Posted: 3/28/2010 7:26:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I saw a test article where they put a shot charge out of it across a chronograph and it barely broke 600 fps . Also the patterns at 20 feet were non existent .
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

i've notied that Mannlicher and i have differing opinons on a lot of stuff, but sometimes we think just alike... taurus judge = gimicky trash...

already linked many times but...  Judge vs. Box O' Truth

OP if you like it, have fun with it, ymmv, and all that, just not somethign i consider pratical useful, or even cool imho...

Quoted:
Quoted:

That is so true! As a fellow gun peddler I get sick of the guys coming in to look at this gun. They haven't bought a new gun since 1973 but they saw it on TV, exploding a watermelon, and want it for "home defense."

There are so many things wrong with a Judge for "home defense" it's not even worth typing out. The only myth I'm surprised we don't hear about this gun is the "racking the slide" myth. "Just cocking the hammer will send them running!"

yep, the 55 and older guys, the new to guns(but they already know everything) guys,  and the fudds keep inquiring about these damn things...

my pops was trying to be sneaky and even bought one from a damned gunshow and i'm still busting his balls about it as after he bought it(peer pressure i guess, all his friends bought one so he had to have one also. my folks have been pretty hard up for money for quite a while, and finally managed to mostly catch up, i guess he felt he wanted to be in the cool club and join all of his friends in owning one of the things.) he realised how useless they are for much of anything other than snakes(my constant badgering probably had something to do with it also), and he's never actully fired it. now i think he's really feeling the buyers remorse(i've laid off as to not hurt his feeling too muh) and i think he wants to dump it now.

we won't even carry the taurus brand name much less the judges in the store, we'll order in anything anyone is dead set on if it is available, but if possible we will try to point out a better alternative if the customer seems at all open to or interested in some advice...

K.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The best possible use for that gun would be to sell it for $325...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top