Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2012 9:04:55 AM EDT
Originally posted by me on the Gun Culture site but thought Id share it over here too.
http://mscg.yuku.com/topic/6095/The-Better-Bivy

Edit: Cant seem to make the random words that are hot linked go away... sorry.

My friend brought up an interesting idea to me a month or so ago that I had never considered. At the time we were talking about a backpacking trip we had been planning and over the next few days all the pieces started to fall together in my head.

The question: What about a hammock?

I didnt just not remember them, I have never even considered hammocks, even in the casual back yard environment. My family never had one, and I'd never been in one, but what about the hammock?

So I started researching and the first thing I found out is that there is a large and growing hammock sub-culture. Some ultra-lite hike through guys use them which I'll get to in a minute but a lot of regular Joe's from campers to backpackers are silently using them and loving them. Claims of the best sleep ever and versatility abound. After reading a million reviews on fifty different models on Amazon, I finally found THE place for Hammocks on the internet
http://www.hammockforums.net/

I ended up buying one that was solidly in the middle ground of price and good, if not great, reviews to try out the concept. What I ended up with was the Skeeter Beater Pro from Grand Trunk. This model had a bug net already attached and I liked that as I hate bugs flying around my ears or feeding on me when Im trying to sleep. As I was researching, I remembered reading how the Nam era Mobile Guerrilla Force that hunted VC with the Montagards mostly all slept in Hammocks. I liked that.

Once the package arrived, I really was able to start to think about the uses of a hammock, especially instead of a small tent or bivy. The Skeeter Beater (and there are plenty of others both lighter and heavier) weighs in at a whooping 1.04lbs and packs down TINY. Much smaller than a loaf of bread, just slightly bigger than say a Nalgene bottle. The cheapy Guide Gear bivy tent I tried and hated weighs 2.5lbs and packs small but not tiny. The Army issue 3 piece bivy sleep system weighs 6.5 lbs and that's without a mattress pad, and its bulky. My one man, so-awesome-i-love-this-tent, North Face Canyon Lands tent weighs in at still over 3lbs. So all in all, the hammock is the most light weight and compact by far.

The trick would be staying dry. Some hammocks come with a "rain fly" and others you would need to set up a tarp if you are worried about rain. The common variety 10x8 tarp I had handy weighs over 3lbs, so that really would kill any weight savings you had gained. But a nice high tech light weight silicone or nylon tarp weighs less than a pound... but it'll cost you big $$$.

Anyway, I napped in my new Hammock on a truck/rafting trip with friends a few weeks ago and I just got back from a backpack trip where I used this as my tent. Every time anyone has seen it I see the speculation in their eyes. Its not strong enough, how could a person sleep folded up like a taco and banana at the same time... then they get in it and the speculation changes. The trick is to not lay along the center line but to be off center or diagonal a bit. that and the straps having the right amount of tension or 'hang' (too tight is actually worse) makes for a nice flat lay.

The other trick is that hammock sleeping is a cold affair. You need something more than just a sleeping bag to insulate from the air under you. Some people use quilted poncho liners but when I weighed mine, it was heavier than a mattress pad and the pad also serves the purpose of helping to lay flatter in the hammock.

After sleeping in mine for a few nights I thought Id share my impressions. First, it is not a tent, dont expect it to be. You arent going to comfortably hang out in your hammock and cook and read if you are socked in by an all day rain storm like you can in a tent. You will need a fly or tarp big enough to give you cover outside your hammock to stow your gear and stay dry. That can offset the weight and/or cost. Sleeping in it was for me no better and no worse than in a tent. It wasnt "more comfortable than my bed at home" like I've read in other reviews but Id give it a slight edge over sleeping on the ground in a tent even with an inflatable or closed cell pad.

The really big win comes from not having to find a nice flat, or big enough, tent spot. Find two tie off points, whether they be two trees, a tree and a rock, a light poll and a truck bed... anything... and you are ready to sleep. Also being out of any ground water if it does rain is awesome, although in mountain storms, with rain usually comes lightning and being tied to a tree in a lightning storm might not seem like a great idea to some people.

Tactical wise, sleeping in the field is always a wash. I don't think it really leaves any less footprint than anything else. You're still going to have grass trampled down, you're higher up in the air and there are straps or ropes that can cut into tree bark and leave sign that you were there. So its all kind of a wash there but the weight and compactness sure is nice.

My Hammock while backpacking

A hammock as a bivy

Versatility of them is limited by your own construction and imagination

And for the snow campers, this just rocks.

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#1]
hammock camping is exspensive and requires a good deal of specialized gear. Also through those imagies I saw only one pic that looked like a bivy set up, however you had a tarp over it; so its not a true bivy style camp.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#2]
^^^ omg, really?

this makes me want to delete the entire thread, thanks for laying the steamer.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I have to say I got my Hennessy Hammock Explorer deluxe last week and took it on its first trip last weekend and I fell in love.

At right around 3 pounds with the huge upgraded hex rain fly (free upgrade). It was comfortable and as you mentioned not

having to find a place to set up a tent was a huge bonus. I set up on the side of a fairly steep and rocky hill that I never could

have got a tent on. I did get a little more chilled that I expected but it was not bad by any means. Granted I thought it would

be in the 50's at night and it ended up raining and getting down to the low 40's so I could have been better prepared. I

disagree that you need lots of expensive specialized gear to pull it off. My hammock arrived on Friday and I took all my tent

gear out of my pack and put in the hammock and took off for the mountains the next morning and I was fine. All in all though

I think I have been converted, I am now a hammock camper.

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Something interesting I actually found a couple days ago, there's a Kickstarter campaign by a couple guys in Boston trying to build a hammock/bivy combo. It's not funded yet but looks like it has promise. I believe it's called the "Alpine Hammock" or something like that. I pledged for one so I hope it gets funded.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I checked kick starter for the alpine hammock. Not halfway and 13 days left I don't know. I'll watch and pitch in if it takes off, really cool product.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I checked kick starter for the alpine hammock. Not halfway and 13 days left I don't know. I'll watch and pitch in if it takes off, really cool product.

You're only out money if they get funded. Holding off doesn't help. Too many people do that and they won't reach their goal.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok I pledged. Now come on who's with me?!
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#8]
No one. Should I start a new thread on it? Is that allowed?
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I pledged, never been on kickstarter either, cool deal.

Their alpine hammock idea looks to be a good combination of designs while staying light weight. the only thing you still need is that big fly for rainy day hiding out, cooking, keeping your gear dry...

I doubt they'll make their goal in the time they have left but that looks to be one of the better concepts out there.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I’m in love with hammocks; I have eight to ten them and everybody in the family has their own.  Now, I caveat this with the fact I now live in Georgia.  Temperatures are much more moderate; sleeping in a hammock without insulation preparation below 40 degrees can be quite uncomfortable.  I have used under-quilts and wind breaks and other means to fight off the cooling convection effects, but once you had up the weight and hassle, it’s much easier using a tent or going to ground with a bivi and tarp.  That has work out brilliantly for me as I use a separate fly, large enough to create an awning for maneuver room with a hammock in bad weather.  It will also work as a ground shelter cover if the temperatures force me to the ground.  I’ve also set my hammock up just like a tent (just have a good ground cover) and it works like a charm…very versatile.  

I won’t sleep on the ground if the temps are above 50 degrees or my wife forces me into a romantic backpacking trip (hammocks can make some activities a little challenging).  Anyways, with the right set up, a hammock can be up in minutes.  With a separate rain fly, you can set up and take down in a down poor, keeping everything dry except your fly…simply brilliant!  

The best sleep I get is when I’m backpacking and sleeping in a hammock (Warbonnet Blackbird)…

Bivi bags to have their place…no denying that and during the winter, I do pack a bivi or small tent; however, the hammock is an evolution to back-country comfort and simplicity.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for posting your experience, OP.

I've been interested in finding one but haven't had the money lately. Eventually I'll get a hammock and try it out - until then I'll keep reading
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
^^^ omg, really?

this makes me want to delete the entire thread, thanks for laying the steamer.

It's Arfcom, Someones always gonna be better and smarter than you at everything. And They will ALWAYS feel the need to correct you. I usually just shake my head and laugh at them. (It's P#@!S envy really)

As for me, I have been looking into hammock camping with my son, I live in Georgia, So I don't think I am gonna need any special equipment. maybe just some 550 cord, and stakes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top