Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2013 6:59:06 PM EDT
**Originally posted in the Tactical Armory section. Can be used as a small GHB/24 hr pack or EDC.**

Just doing a review on an old Maxpedition Typhoon. I've had this pack for a while, and is actually one of my first "real" packs. While this pack has been out for some time, this is actually Maxpedition's 2nd revision of this pack, as the original was a gear slinger and had a CCW pocket:

This pack has long since been replaced and given to my S.O, but I've decided to borrow it and stuff it with gear as a point of reference on the pack's capabilities, and do a review.

Manufacturer's specs:
•Approx. 12"(L) x 14.5"(H) x 12" (W)
•Main compartment approx. 9.5"(L) x 13"(H) x 4"(W)
•Capacity approx. 750 cu. inches
•1000-Denier water and abrasion resistant light-weight ballistic nylon fabric
•Teflon™  fabric protector for grime resistance and easy

Like the majority of Maxpedition packs, they use 1000D material, and treat it with a Teflon fabric protector. This not only gives the pack great abrasion resistant properties, but also weather resistant properties as well. The material feels well made and stiff.

As you can tell from the pictures, the pack is small and compact. At 750 cu in. of storage capacity, this would place it right at EDC/Daypack or overnight category of packs. The front of the pack shows two rows of molle webbing on the bottom pouch, and a single row on the top pouch. A row of Velcro runs across the bottom pouch making name tapes or patches an option.

As signature of all Maxpedition packs, the pack comes with a Y compression strap that keeps the load compressed, as well as offering stowaway capabilities such as jackets or ponchos:

The shoulder straps are wide and adequately padded. Attachment points located on the straps allow the user to attach various items, or route hydration hoses. The back panel of the pack is made of a mesh backing, which helps with air circulation. The straps also include an adjustable sternum strap which can accommodate various body types, and can stretch for when the user is mobile:

The bottom of the pack features compression straps to stowaway items like a jacket or a poncho, and can be adjusted to fit larger items like a woobie in a stuffsack:

The left side of the pack features areas of molle webbing to attach small pouches such as water bottle holders, mag pouches, or general purpose pouches. It also has a bungie cord to cinch down items like gloves, or plastic water bottles:

The right side of the pack features two dedicated pouches. The top pouch can be used to carry tools and accessories such as a flashlight, multitools, chemlights, and flares, or defensive items like a baton. The lid can be adjusted for height of such items.

The bottom pouch is a general purpose pouch that can be used for small sundry items:

Another feature of this pack is that you can snap the main zippers together. It can be used a safety feature when traveling in public places, or can be used to create an opening for the hydration hose to route through, preventing the zippers to walk open. All of the zippers are of YKK quality, and have paracord pull tabs:

The Y compression strap unbuckles in order to access the compartments of the pack. This compression strap can be removed as well, making navigating in and out of the pack easier:

The top pouch is a long general purpose pouch that can be used as quick grab items like gloves and long flashlights:

The bottom pouch has basic admin capabilities that can be used to organize items like Rite in Rain notepads, compasses, first aid kits and maps:

The main compartment is a two way zip that zips halfway down the pack and can store bulkier and heavier items. I was able to fit 2 stripped MREs, a jacket, and a Nalgene bottle. It also has a mesh pocket for personal items, and a zipper compartment for important documents. A hydration loop is available to hang a bladder:

Even with its light capacity, it can store a good amount of gear due to its layout and organization. With that said, a 72 hour kit is outside of its realm of use, and is not the packs fault by any means. Since being replaced, I used it on vacation trips, and overnight stays which it excelled at. I also used it on many range trips and was happy with it. Here it is set up for a day at the park with the dog:
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:15:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Great review.  As you said, it's a little small for a 72-hour bag, but it's big enough to carry the "10 Essentials" on day hikes.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#2]
What is in the "stuff" bag and who is the maker?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is in the "stuff" bag and who is the maker?
View Quote

It's the medium stuff sack by Grey Ghost Gear. It holds a USGI poncho liner.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I love mine, just the right size for a day hike. The only thing I don't like about it is no where to put my nalgene bottle, but you can add that the bottle holder they sell onto the side. I seem to have misplaced mine at the moment, I lost it on the move to my new house.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice review. I would like to try a Max Gear bag. I'm thinking about a monsoon as an EDC. Unfortunately the bag I currently EDC won't give out on me.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top