Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2016 2:44:26 PM EDT
This is for a new construction home. I've been reading about some pros and cons, figured I'd ask about experiences here.

Seems like the big pluses for the plastic tanks are that they are less likely to crack and easier to install since they can be moved by hand. One septic designer told me that plastic tanks used to have a problem with warping under stress once in the ground, so you might take the lid off to have it pumped and never be able to get the lid back on. He said he hasn't seen that issue in a long time though with more modern tanks.

Any opinions one way or the other?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I just built a house and we put in a concrete tank. I'm confident it'll outlast me.

I think plastic has a place if you are building a house in a place where you can't get big equipment in. If given a choice, I would choose concrete.  I got some prices and as I recall, the price was fairly close.

I did check with my county health department and they couldn't even tell me if a plastic tank would be approved.....no one uses them where I live. So check with your jurisdiction....you might not be able to use them.

If you do go plastic, I would only backfill once I had filled the tank with water.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I just had concrete tanks installed today...i also believe they will outlive me. My Presby field bed is up on top the hill to the left.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Everyone around here (cenTex) uses plastic. Mine is 9 years old with zero issues.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:05:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Plastic here as well. Just took the lid off last fall to have it pumped. No problems going back on. Its just a cap that is held on by 4 long sheet metal screws. Not like its a thread on cap.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#5]
IMHO, this is likely dependent on local soil conditions and local practices, asking people all over the nation will get you responses just like you're getting... in some places everybody used concrete, but in others, everybody uses plastic. It's very likely that in places that use concrete a plastic tank may not hold up as well, but on the contrary, in places that use plastic, a concrete tank may not hold up as well.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#6]
We used plastic when we did one.  I can't see how it is bad.

The pipe the crapper sits on is plastic.
The pipe going to the tank is plastic.
The pipe leaving the tank is plastic.
The leach field is plastic components.

But the tank can't be plastic?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Plastic for me but I did my own.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#8]
500 gallon cement tank here. I watched them put it in and then fill it up with water. It was impressive.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:49:38 PM EDT
[#9]
my house in MO had a 1000 gal tank that is now 11 years old and during the inspection when I sold my house recently it was in perfect shape.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Please be sure your septic tank doesn't leak.  We already have the leakage from someone else's sitting in the White House the last 7 years and now more of it campaigning for president this time around and we don't need more.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#11]
We used two 500 gallon tanks on our aerobic system.  A guy I went to school with is a tank manufacturer and installer so it is what he used when he installed mine.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 3:20:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We used two 500 gallon tanks on our aerobic system.  A guy I went to school with is a tank manufacturer and installer so it is what he used when he installed mine.
View Quote

i think the OP wanted to know the pros/cons of plastic vs concrete...  your tank is which, and why?

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#13]
i would say go concrete. Went to the in laws a few years ago, saw a backhoe and equipment in the neighbors yard, asked my FIL what was going on over at Dean's house - "Oh, they had a leaky septic tank so he took the fill off the top, removed the lid, and then went down too patch it. It wasn't very neighborly of me, but I didn't offer to help!".

So if you go concrete you have more repair options I guess?!
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 12:21:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I put in a fiberglass Multi-flow septic tank with a concrete lift station when I built my house 18 years ago. It's been really good so far with only needing filter changes every 5 years or so and that isn't  terribly expensive.  It isn't a mound system (which I don't like) and you can't even see it unless you are on top of it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top