Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/13/2018 8:26:40 PM EDT
I’m pretty convinced on tearing an old barn down on my property. It’s 90 years old, and it’s a few hundred feet of where our house is being built. It was an old dairy barn, so a lot of it has uneven cement troughs and pipes in the floor. My biggest gripe about it is that it take away from the view of the property that we have. The owner just before me had resided it with a minimum siding. Truthfully, if it were anywhere else on the property, I’d probably leave it standing. However, it’s location is pretty much a deal breaker after a thorough discussion with my wife.

Knock it down? Try to remove or scrap the aluminum siding? Burn it? Have the material hauled away after knocking it down?
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a serving suggestion.

164lbs of Tannerite Kills a Barn
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#3]
How about a few pics for assessment?
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#4]
People spend good money for seasoned barnwood.  Second see if the local firedept wants a training exercise.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#5]
In some areas old barn wood can be fairly valuable. There is a tv show where they remove/salvage/move old barn buildings. I sold the wood from a barn on our farm in Georgia back in the 1980s. It had been built from trees cut and lumbered on the farm. It was about 120 by 60, two stories high. We got $3500 for it back then. It was all still in pretty good shape, just well weathered. There was a demand for barnwood for picture framing shops and such. Do some web searches and see what you can come up with. Even better for me, they did the disassembly as well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Like mentioned ppl pay money to tear them down
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#8]
As mentioned, large-dimensioned pieces or "wood with character" is a thing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=reclaimed+timber+pennsylvania
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#10]
You should save the barn. They aren't building them anymore. Get a new wife. There's lots of women out there.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Pics?

Definitely don't burn it. There's probably money to be had there if you don't want to save it.

My brother and his wife are saving an old barn on their place right now. If maintained they can look nice.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Call Barnwood Builders
View Quote
Great show.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Selling the barnwood is a fantastic idea that I never thought of for some reason. Here are a few pictures:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Your tearing THAT down ?

Your property, your rules but i thnk your nuts to get rid of that. Around here that would add crazy value to property

Barnwood builders would be all over that job.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#15]
HeritageBarns.com

Kevin Durkin buys old barns from around the country. He ships them to Texas to be restored before they are shipped all over the world to become people's homes. 877-354-2276   [email protected]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Selling the barnwood is a fantastic idea that I never thought of for some reason. Here are a few pictures:
Snip
View Quote
Not at all what I pictured, I’d have a hard time tearing that down. I was picturing something more along the lines of this:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not at all what I pictured, I’d have a hard time tearing that down. I was picturing something more along the lines of this:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/359475/A727A1E9-D434-4D03-BD66-0E200808847B_jpeg-705282.JPG
View Quote
Yea. Me too, around here they end up with jus roof sticking up, after they collapsed
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
HeritageBarns.com

Kevin Durkin buys old barns from around the country. He ships them to Texas to be restored before they are shipped all over the world to become people's homes. 877-354-2276   [email protected]
View Quote
Thanks! I’ll give him a call.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yea. Me too, around here they end up with jus roof sticking up, after they collapsed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/359475/A727A1E9-D434-4D03-BD66-0E200808847B_jpeg-705282.JPG
I know, I get it. I’ve thought about it over the past year. We’re building a home and the view would be just overtaken by the side of the barn instead of open pasture. That’s just something I can’t get over. My wife and family agree. It’s not a done deal. We’ll wait until the house is completed, but I can’t see anything changing.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Meh, make the barn your home. Check. Google , ppl have done crazy stuff with barns.

Also consider future of your property and your plans, to duplicate that barn would be 50k up to and past 100k, your not talking a lil shed here.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Your tearing THAT down ?

Your property, your rules but i thnk your nuts to get rid of that. Around here that would add crazy value to property

Barnwood builders would be all over that job.
View Quote
wow I would love to have that on my property. that is in good shape. I was thinking it was going to be a POS.

wow that would cost $60-80k to replace
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#22]
That's a shame. That barn looks to be in great shape. The outside doesn't look very rustic because of that siding but the inside looks great.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Move the house.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Dude if we didn't live so far apart I'd come tear it down for you. Id take all that wood and love it
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#25]
No way I would take down a standing barn.  The steel siding is ugly, though.

I cringe every time I see a barn finally fall.  Seems like our old farm yards in the upper midwest are turning into mobile homes and cheap pre fab houses no one cares about.

Think of the work it took to build that thing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Dude if we didn't live so far apart I'd come tear it down for you. Id take all that wood and love it
View Quote
Swing by here and we can caravan up, id be in for a trailer load of that wood
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#27]
People frequently stop to ask if they can disassemble an old chicken coop and barn on my farm in NE Pa and "dispose" of them for me.

People will buy the wood.  Your wood looks in decent shape, if it isn't full of powder post beetles you could get a good chunk of $ for that wood.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Get a bunny
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah OP I wouldn't tear it down but it's your property and I totally understand if your not using it and it's in the way.

I'd call a barn wood reseller for sure. Looks to be some real nice wood in there.

Food for thought- it may decently reduce the value of your property by tearing it down.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Agree, too nice to delete.

The diagonal beams are really cool.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#33]
damn - like my dream to have a barn that nice. I could be having a nice floor put in it

whats the view its blocking if you dont mind?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#34]
A barn blocking a view is like telling the hot topless girl at the beach to get out of the way because you can't see the seagulls.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Are there some tax advantages to leaving it up?
The reason I ask is; there are old barns still standing everywhere, and I've often wondered why people either don't fix them,
or tear them down.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Are there some tax advantages to leaving it up?
The reason I ask is; there are old barns still standing everywhere, and I've often wondered why people either don't fix them,
or tear them down.
View Quote
Be the opposite around here, buildings/barn will raise property assessment and raise taxes. If you remove it, tell county assessors so they can take that building off the books
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd paint it, landscape it and repour the floor.

Have a wonderful barn and shop.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I know, I get it. I've thought about it over the past year. We're building a home and the view would be just overtaken by the side of the barn instead of open pasture. That's just something I can't get over. My wife and family agree. It's not a done deal. We'll wait until the house is completed, but I can't see anything changing.
View Quote
Paint one side with a nice mural of a pasture!

Maybe think about it more?  Wait till the house is built, use it to store materials and keep them safe from meth heads and weather.  Have people pay you to store trailers and boats and such in it a while while you decide.

You can tear it down AFTER the house is built, or any time thereafter.

I'd wait.  You may find a use for it.  If there's one thing I have learned about women, many of them don't get "this is it, no going back after this, you do this and it's forever".

Your stuff, your choice of course.  It just seems like a waste.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Shoot it with a Mini 14.  I’ve read that it’s challenging.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I just spent 20K building something like that.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Turn that barn into a wedding venue.

You can make bank! Seriously, my moms friend did just that, and makes enough cash in the spring and fall to live on all year.

At 2500 dollars a pop, it adds up very fast!
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#44]
A concrete floor and restroom.

That barn is awesome. Store the car collection or use it for parties.

You have rural acreage where is the tractor going to be stored? In the BARN!
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm with the others, it would be a shame to tear that down, view or not. That is your secondary man cave, you can store stuff in there, maybe run power to it if it doesn't already have any. Maybe wall off part of it with insulation for an "office".
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Sounds like OP should've stayed in the city or suburbs.
Shame to tear down that barn.  Not like its falling in.
Too much of the countryside is being ruined by people wanting to turn nice old farms into crowded housing developments or building the biggest house in the neighborhood, that they don't even use to its capacity.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sounds like OP should've stayed in the city or suburbs.
Shame to tear down that barn.  Not like its falling in.
Too much of the countryside is being ruined by people wanting to turn nice old farms into crowded housing developments or building the biggest house in the neighborhood, that they don't even use to its capacity.
View Quote
Starting to get that way around here. They move here and then complain about all the things this area doesnt have or about the wild animals roaming in yard, the weather, etc
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#48]
That is a great barn.

I can think of about million ways to use and enjoy it.  Would make for an awesome shop with all sorts of options, with room to spare for other uses.  Could also be converted into a venue or even a sweet bunkhouse.   I'd paint it a different color, but I can't think of a single good reason to get rid of it.

If possible, at least force yourself to hold off on destroying it for a few years and see what ideas pop up.  If someone in my family didn't like the view, I'd suggest they look in a different direction.

If there's only one direction to stare, add a covered patio with some nice lights and indulgently comfortable chairs and ottomans on the other side of the barn.  Store a couple bottles of Balevenie Portwood and a humidor over there, and take in the unobstructed view from the barn while you think about your awesome barn and spread.  Or meditate on your sins whilst staring from the house upon the void that was once a great treasure.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 12:15:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Turn that barn into a wedding venue.

You can make bank! Seriously, my moms friend did just that, and makes enough cash in the spring and fall to live on all year.

At 2500 dollars a pop, it adds up very fast!
View Quote
Someone here actually  built a barn purposely for venues like that this past spring. It's on top of a short hill, and the driveway is steep, but seems to work. Not sure how much parking they have though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top