Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#1]
One year since closing on our new place.  What an amazing year!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations! It does look like a pup is wanting you to start walking and stop taking pictures though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SixpackinOk:
Congratulations! It does look like a pup is wanting you to start walking and stop taking pictures though.
View Quote

Usually my wife's job... She leaves her phone behind when we want to have a nice fast walk.  If not.... I've got a dozen nice photos of the sunset with me and the dog walking away.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 11:54:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mrmissem] [#4]

According to google, these are plantains. Wife had me go out and harvest them a bit ago. This is the first ever harvest since we planted them 2 yrs. ago. Do not even know the type. Lady Fingers if I had to guess. Some are ripe to the point they had broke open. Wife cut some pieces to try. To me , they taste like a regular banana only better. Have heard plantains were only good for cooking. That is what made me wonder what they are.

Wife cut some up, put them on flat trays, and froze for a few hours. Then into sealer bags and vacuum sealed. Supposed to last about a year this way. Learning as we go.

Link Posted: 10/5/2023 10:35:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Second pic

Link Posted: 10/15/2023 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

I want to learn to cook those and have bought them several times, just to let them ruin before I could get to it.

Apparently there's kind of an art to the perfect ripeness to cook, and the technique.  

Maybe just because I want them like I've had them in certain restaurants with Central American food.

Sliced, cooked plantains on a burger are incredibly good.
View Quote

We are learning what and how to do with them. Will remember the tip about using on burgers. Thank you for that.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#9]

@mrmissem

Any success with the plantains?

View Quote

All we have done so far is cut them up, vaccuum sealed and put in freezer. Wife has gone to see her mom . When she gets back I will mention this again. Hope all is well with you and yours. @Kitties-with-Sigs
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 1:54:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#11]
If you see an owl on Christmas, it's good luck for the whole year right?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 9:56:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#12]
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Built a horizontal hive. Tired of having to fight with Langstroth boxes. Now I just need to build about 8 more.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Best of luck on the freeze, guys.

Supposed to get lows down around 20 for a couple of days.    That's ridiculously cold for here.

On the bright side... getting plenty of chill hours for the apple trees.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
Best of luck on the freeze, guys.

Supposed to get lows down around 20 for a couple of days.    That's ridiculously cold for here.

On the bright side... getting plenty of chill hours for the apple trees.
View Quote
Woke up to -10 degrees...
Shitty.
Glad I got all the snow moved yesterday!
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 1:10:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#18]
cold here in VA too, along with 9 inches of snow

I’ve been MIA for awhile as last year was just one long kick in the nuts. Things are starting to look a little better this year but progress on anything remotely interesting is at a standstill
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Shutoff valve coming into house split.

Pipe going into chicken coop waterer split.

Other than that, all good.

I transferred the potted citrus into the garage and it never got below 35 in there, so they should be fine. Lowest temp here was 18F.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Rifleman_556:
cold here in VA too, along with 9 inches of snow

https://i.ibb.co/HTXkXrR/A6676-F6-F-B420-4644-BD00-B0640627-A884.jpg

I've been MIA for awhile as last year was just one long kick in the nuts. Things are starting to look a little better this year but progress on anything remotely interesting is at a standstill
View Quote
Damn!
I didn't think VA got that cold or that much snow.
Guess I have to travel more.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
Damn!
I didn't think VA got that cold or that much snow.
Guess I have to travel more.
View Quote

Yep. Coldest I’ve seen was -19 a few years ago, but dad got snowed in back in ‘93 and it hit -30 at the farm

We don’t like to talk about it, but the area from Roanoke to Bristol is still VA
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Supposed to be in the 30's all week in WI.
It's a damn heat wave!
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#26]

That's awesome!  You should post that in the beekeeping thread!  Other beekeepers would like to see, and hear your results I'm certain!
View Quote

Yes.

Yes, we would!
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By The_Like_Button:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/584260/IMG_2308_jpeg-3084404.JPG

Built a horizontal hive. Tired of having to fight with Langstroth boxes. Now I just need to build about 8 more.
View Quote

Is that going to act as brood box AND super, or are you adding a top box (seems unwieldy, if so)?
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Former11BRAVO:

Is that going to act as brood box AND super, or are you adding a top box (seems unwieldy, if so)?
View Quote

It’s an all in one hive. Uses strictly Deep Langstroth frames with a follower board to limit box size and encourage them to build out small sections at a time like adding supers.

Picked up some older 5 frame Deep Nuc boxes today from a beekeeper’s widow and am currently in the shop converting them into swarm traps.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Expensive day today, got to put batteries and an alternator in my truck instead of pulling the last 900ft of web wire as I had originally planned.
Battery light started flickering last night, figured the leaking 6yo batteries needed replaced along with the alt

Starts better now

I also spent 2 days making minor repairs I’d neglected on the trailers, new light kit and tongue latch for one, repaint and marker lights on another, and some much needed tongue repair on the 3rd

Right side crack prepped for welding

Left side cracked same place

Hadn’t struck an arc in ~8 months so not too bad. I ground it flat and plated over the top about 3 inches on each side to distribute the load better anyway
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

Just my husband hanging out with our goats.  He won't let me eat any of them but all bets are off during an apocalypse

Link Posted: 2/16/2024 11:21:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rifleman_556] [#34]

Nice looking bead!

I don't know how to "plate"  and of course would love to learn if you care to share?

View Quote

@Kitties-with-Sigs
Basically you just add a piece of metal bridging the compromised area or joint similar to this picture (stolen from google, not mine) The hole is there so that your plate is fused in the middle as well as along the sides. For larger plates I usually put a 1” hole every 5” OC, staggered when necessary

For vehicles or trailers (especially medium duty or class 8 truck frames) standard practice is to plate both sides at least a foot in each direction. I got pretty good at plating, bracing, and gusseting welding on logging and OTR trucks, trailers, and heavy equipment for a couple years. I loved the job but that employer wasn’t a good fit long term so I went to college to be a machinist. It took about 6 months for me to determine that production machining wasn’t for me so I’m going back to work as a slightly overqualified welder
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:21:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rifleman_556] [#39]
Today was ...a day.

Woke up Friday to a very sick cat, spent most of the day at the vet, he was better yesterday, then today, turned worse again.  We are texting with the vet and may have to go again tomorrow.   All prayers appreciated if you are one who prays for animals.  His name is Quill.  

Then uxb came back from letting chickens out to report that one was making a honking sound every time she breathed.  Upper respiratory it seems.

Research frenzy, then drove and bought the last bottle of oxytetracycline from TSC, plus some VetRX (a menthol type product).  Gave her a shot and treated comb and wattles and throat with the camphor stuff.   Her breathing has improved already!

Made supper and here we are.

Sick animals stress me the hell out.  

View Quote

How's your chicken and cat? One of our hens was ill for a few days but a round of dewormer seems to have perked her up

I spread about 5 tons of gravel and put a ramp up for dad since stairs are getting tough for him (needs a hip replacement but having a hard time accepting it)

Also bought a flatbed truck earlier today, I always wanted one and a good deal popped up- paid what the flatbed is worth for a beater that I drove home

I'll probably post a thread on it sometime this week to detail my work as I fix it up

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:31:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Just found this thread. We stsrted with chickens on our 3 mountain acres two years ago. Still have 7 left and just picked up 6 more chicks about two weeks ago. They’re in the garage until they get big enough to hold their own in the coop but it’s our first try at integrating new birds into the flock.

Also…the wife decided we’re getting goats so I started prepping their area. Doing a small 1/8 acre fenced in area and planning on moving the coop in there as well.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Cut down a few dead standing since they’ll be harder to fell once the fence is up. Planning on ditching the covered run and just having the coop inside the small goat “pasture”. It introduces a little bit of risk to the flock but it’s a pain in the ass getting in our current run due to the low clearance (about 5’).

Also got tasked by the wife to start dropping dead standing oaks on the property. Over the 4 years we’ve been at this place I’ve fell over 25 so far. Gypsy Moths killed off a bunch of oak up here on the mountain about 6-7 years ago before we got here. I hate cutting down trees this large but I’m not paying a company thousands upon thousands to do it for me. Nothing but other smaller trees to get damaged (aside from me) so I take my time and ensure good facing and back cuts. This oak we did today was 28” in diameter (no fun with a 20” bar) and about 70’ tall. The first round just above my felling cut produced 41 pieces of split fire wood. Not bad. Neighbor came down and helped buck and split it. I gave him the entire tree. I have about 7 trees worth of rounds sitting next to the driveway waiting to be split as it is. I don’t have time to be messing with another huge tree and they heat with fire wood. They’re great neighbors so I try to help out where I can. He gave me a couple boxes of ammo to say thanks, which was nice.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:20:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#41]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#43]

Lotta work! Sad about the oaks.

You know, if you have any interest in growing mushrooms, save a few of those rounds.  The mushrooms you grow are a lot better than grocery store.
View Quote

Speaking of mushrooms; my wife has been inoculating logs like a mad woman!  I think we are at about 100 logs now, not counting the totems that are about to start.  Here is one load:

We did have an oak that had to come down in the way of an orchard.  Thankfully, we had a great use for them.  Mostly Shiitake but some other strains in there too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:54:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#44]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#45]

Wow that's a lot of logs!  Are you going to sell?  Or will you eat that many?

The stump in our side yard produces almost more Winter Oysters than we can eat.

Just two of us though.
View Quote

We have a big family so it really is all for us.  I don't even like mushrooms, but I'm all about self-sufficiency. Our previous year's harvest has been consumed almost as fast as they were harvested.  This new batch will likely end up being consumed and preserved through various means.  Some shared too I'm sure.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:36:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: turtle2472] [#46]

Also, will you share your source for the mycelium/innoculant?  
View Quote

I just noticed you added to the post since my original quote. I don't mind sharing at all.  I have a question for you too...

We get our supplies from Field and Forest.  The first year we did plugs that are basically inoculated dowel rods.  This time, since we had so logs to do many, we went with the sawdust spawn.  We also got a manual thumb inoculator and bit for the drill.  Pro tip; don't use a battery powered drill.  I had to switch from the DeWalt to a wired high speed drill with the brace handle (hammer drill with hammer off).  An angle grinder would be good too, but I don't have one yet.

We are collecting the chips and going to use them with some of the other spawn types too.

The thing about Field and Forest is they are more than willing to talk you through things on the phone and share their knowledge.  If you have questions, they will help.  Most of the time we found their recommendations are far different from what I would see on YouTube too.  

My question for you is, how did you do your oyster spawn for the stump?  We have a huge stump from this oak we took down and trying to figure out the best way to use it.  Ours sits in full day sun so we aren't sure it will be able to handle any fungus on it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#48]
That is pretty awesome that you manages to get such good ones naturally.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#50]

I thought it was really fortunate.

And just at the time when I'm studying herbal medicines and learning to make my own!

Really exciting to have two of the best mushrooms for that, growing right in my yard.

I have an enormous ash (58" DBA) in the front yard, that I have lost to Emerald Ash Borer (my own fault. I didn't take action soon enough for it.  I have been able to save a smaller one in my yard) and before I would have had a stump grinder out to smooth out the yard.  Not now.  I will let that stump sit there and hopefully grow some food and medicine!
View Quote

Turkey tail and a strain of Reishi are in our mix.  There is another that is medicinal that we are starting this year too, but I don't recall which one it is.  We have baskets going now and the pink oyster has already started fruiting.  Almost all of the baskets have good mycelium starting so we are confident they will be good, solid producers. They are in our basement, I'll have to get a picture of them up so you can see how we got them going.  We also have totems started now.  I'll have to get some pictures of them also, but they are going to look like heavy things in black contractor bags sitting on pavers until they get started.  I think it is about 6 weeks before we take the plastic bags off and you see the totems.

Here is a view of most of our logs.  The slope faces NW, so only late evening sun that is filtered by the woods around us.  We still have some organization to do with them.  We also have termites around here so keeping them off the ground and with something treated is a requirement too.  We don't like the stacks that make it difficult to get to the middle, so we opted for this approach.  The shade of the trees and hosing down during dry spells are enough to keep them producing.

Mind you, I say "we" as though I'm doing a lot but, really, my wife is making most of the work happen for these.  I've been carrying the heavy things and drilling the holes for inoculation, but doing the inoculation and organizing it has been her mostly.  I'm going to have the get the list of strains we have from this year to share here.  It is something like 12 I think.

There will be more fungus on my property than I'll know what to do with.
Page / 8
Top Top