Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2010 6:08:41 AM EDT
I bought an HF amp the other day and wondered if anyone has any experience with a Heathkit SB-200? I plan on using it on 75/40 Meters. It looks clean as a pin and the RF deck looks spotless.

Link Posted: 3/21/2010 6:38:16 AM EDT
[#1]
wow, that is clean!
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to own one a long, long time ago... Wonder what they are selling for these days...

Link Posted: 3/21/2010 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Really looks nice!

How does it run?

The Caps look original, which may be worth checking out to see if they meet spec anymore.

First "Chicken Stick" them (manually make sure they are discharged, as they have the potential to deal death!  

Then measure them.  Web sources say the original electrolytic capacitors were 125uF 450V units.  Pretty straight forward replacement if they measure low or if they are in any way bulged or weeping.

There are lots of service & mods pages on the web for these amps, so enjoy your neat find!

Steve
K9ZW
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I had one a long time ago and it worked fine. 500 watts easy. I now have a homebrew amp that uses the same tubes (572b's).
That one looks very clean. Check the big filter caps for bulging or leakage as mentioned. How long has it been since it has been powered up?
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#5]
A real beauty!

And the Cetron tubes are excellent.  If you learn to tune quickly (same procedure as shown on the Ameritron site) they'll last a long time.

http://www.ameritron.com/helpvideos.php

The meter readings you will be looking for are a little different, but the procedure is the same.

And remember, you don't have to run at full power.  You can back off a bit and no one will tell the difference, and your tubes will last much longer.  For example, my Ameritron AL-811H is rated 800 watts, but I usually back off to 500-600 watts.  No one can tell, so why run it at 800 watts?

I know a number of guys running those, the 200 and the 230.

AFM
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 3:05:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all of the tips. I should be getting the amp mid week. I'll check it close before applying power and hopefully it will be plug an play.

Link Posted: 3/22/2010 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#7]
http://www.harbachelectronics.com/

That is the only link you need.  The replacement parts are of excellent quality and the prices are pretty good.  I've used them to bring my SB-200 up to spec.
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I know for certain I need to get some type of keying buffer because the Heathkit has a higher voltage keying circuit than what most solid state rigs can handle.

Another ham told me about this $15.00 kit, so I ordered one.

http://www.hamgadgets.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=75
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Works fine.  I have a friend using the little Hamgadgets keyer with a SB-230.
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/23/2010 1:53:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think I'll try the $15 kit first, but thanks for the info anyway.

Link Posted: 3/24/2010 7:29:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I got the SB-200 all set up this morning. I loaded it up on 40 meters and with about 65 watts drive, I get about 550 watts output. When I drive it with about 100 watts I get a bit over 600 watts, so I believe that I will run it with the lower drive and keep the heat down and the tubes happy.

On the air reports have been favorable, so I guess I bought a keeper!
 I'll fool with a bit more this week and see what kind of output I get on the other bands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top