Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked The HT thread (Page 3 of 3)
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Can anyone recommend a good HT for Airband receiving? I have one of those cheap Quansheng UV K5 radios but even with a Nagoya antenna and being fairly close to my local airport, the audio is pretty bad. Was considering the Yaesu FT-60 but was hoping for something a little more modern.

Any suggestions?

Thanks much!

Link Posted: 6/4/2024 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#2]
My latest acquisition and my EDC cell phone. So far this thing is great. Not only will it TX on 2 meters and 70 cm, it will also TX on GMRS/ FRS / MURS.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By drerickson77:
Can anyone recommend a good HT for Airband receiving? I have one of those cheap Quansheng UV K5 radios but even with a Nagoya antenna and being fairly close to my local airport, the audio is pretty bad. Was considering the Yaesu FT-60 but was hoping for something a little more modern.

Any suggestions?

Thanks much!

View Quote
I'd recommend the Yaesu FT-65. It's not expensive and it's a nice little HT. I really like mine. And it works with Chirp as well. It's a step up from the common Baofengs you see on Amazon.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By TheLASwamp:
I'd recommend the Yaesu FT-65. It's not expensive and it's a nice little HT. I really like mine. And it works with Chirp as well. It's a step up from the common Baofengs you see on Amazon.
View Quote

You would recommend the Yaesu FT-65 for Airband?

Okay. Thank you.

Link Posted: 6/8/2024 6:27:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WillieTangoFox] [#5]

Okay. Thank you.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheLASwamp:

Okay. Thank you.

@drerickson77

The FT-65 does not receive VHF AM for airband, that would be the FT-60 as you already mentioned.

I have not done enough airband listening on different radios to give you a good recommendation.

I have an Icom airband handheld……. That only does airband.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 6:17:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jte3470:
My latest acquisition and my EDC cell phone. So far this thing is great. Not only will it TX on 2 meters and 70 cm, it will also TX on GMRS/ FRS / MURS.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255192/IMG_0006_JPG-3231812.JPG
View Quote

Holy crap! Those things look awesome.  I’m not sure I like them being part of the Google ecosystem though.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 9:30:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WillieTangoFox] [#7]
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:

Holy crap! Those things look awesome.  I’m not sure I like them being part of the Google ecosystem though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255192/IMG_0006_JPG-3231812.JPG

The guy with a booth next to me at Hamvention had one…… it was pretty dang cool.

I did not ask him about the operating system or if anyone had tried to run GrapheneOS and then get everything installed back onto the phone,

I also believe there will be another company releasing a version of this that had an inside booth……. I do not recall their name, but I think they had a 2024 release date.

Eta, found a youtube video.

FIRST LOOK! Open Source Android Radio | ComJot CJ-1
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#8]
How does it work at making phone calls and sending/receiving text?

If that thing is comparable with Graphene I might seriously consider acquiring one.

Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#9]
How does it work at making phone calls and sending/receiving text?

If that thing is comparable with Graphene I might seriously consider acquiring one.

View Quote

It works great for cell phone and text messages. Between its functionality as a dual band radio, DMRoIP and a cell phone I really only carry one device and charger with me on my travels. I installed droidstar and can use that for any fusion , p25, nxdn or dstar stuff.  So I leave the hot spot, HTs and all the chargers that go with them at home.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#10]
It works great for cell phone and text messages. Between its functionality as a dual band radio, DMRoIP and a cell phone I really only carry one device and charger with me on my travels. I installed droidstar and can use that for any fusion , p25, nxdn or dstar stuff.  So I leave the hot spot, HTs and all the chargers that go with them at home.
View Quote

Have you looked at the Amazon reviews? They are not kind. Something about a paid subscription and crashing apps. I hope your experience proves better, because it looks like a really cool device.

On a lighter note:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/23/2024 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

Have you looked at the Amazon reviews? They are not kind. Something about a paid subscription and crashing apps. I hope your experience proves better, because it looks like a really cool device.

View Quote

I've had it for a month and a half now, and I absolutely love it. The Amazon reviews are like listening to the opinions of the people of Wal-Mart. I can't tell you how much I enjoy having a dual band radio with me everywhere I go.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had it for a month and a half now, and I absolutely love it. The Amazon reviews are like listening to the opinions of the people of Wal-Mart. I can't tell you how much I enjoy having a dual band radio with me everywhere I go.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

WOW...it's a bit too much to be my daily driver HT.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#14]
EHAM reviews of the RFinder

The ComJot looks great. The only drawback I have is that the processor is a little older than the RFinder B1+. The ComJot is similarly running a 8 core processor from the same manufacturer as the Rfinder B1+ and M6 but it's just a little older and a touch slower. The Comjot is running Android 14, while the Rfinder is currently running Android 9, however the update to Android 13 should be next month according to the owner and his team. I do like my Rfinder but not against the ComJot CJ1 either, and may order one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Nice.
I just picked one up used off a guy who switched to Kenwood. It looks like he never even used it.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Tacked The HT thread (Page 3 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top