Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2014 8:04:57 PM EDT
I had just done some upgrades to the TS-590S and was reading up on ways to make use of the VGS-1 voice guide module.  One of the things mentioned was tying functions to PF keys & potentially re-assigning the mic up down keys to other functions.  That reminded me of a blurb in the TS-590S "In Depth Manual" that discussed using the circuit design from a discontinued microphone model to implement 4 additional PF keys.  This was the circuit:

I already had an 8 pin microphone socket & plug combo I had picked up but not used when thinking about digital for the old Yaesu FT-707 - the same form factor used by the TS-590S.  Dug through the odds & ends box and came up with some momentary SPST push buttons and an old bullet box that had enough clearance to mount them.

A small piece of strip-board, four resistors & a bit of CAT5 finished up the bill of materials list.  I spot checked work along the way to make sure there were no shorts or open joints in the socket & plug conntections & eventually had a product.

Plugged & in and gave it the smoke test.  Works OK, best I can tell.

I left some extra length on the connecting line as I wasn't sure how I wanted to use this.  Fully wiring all connectors on the strip-board gives me some breakout options if I want to add something like an external microphone line PTT socket later on.

PF4 is now assigned the antenna tune button function.

ETA:  not sure if a non-shielded microphone line will cause trouble, but used what I had.  So far, no new behavior detected but I will be on the lookout for RF type issues.

Nick

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I am hitting the "Like" button.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#2]
well done

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome, that looks very useful!
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Not totally sure what a PF key is, but it looks excellent!

Probably should have used an orange or camouflaged box, though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not totally sure what a PF key is, but it looks excellent! <,,,>
View Quote

Programmable Function key.    You can typically assign a machine function or macro (depending on the system) to be associated with a key press.  Pretty much any button press or menu item selection can be assigned to a PF key with the TS-590S.  There are two on the front panel, PF A and PF B plus the stock microphone has both UP and  DOWN  buttons which can be reassigned (they are really just pre-assigned PF keys).  The PF 1 -> PF 4  slots in the programming are (I guess) holdovers from that earlier mic design that had 4 buttons across the back.

Nick
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#6]
The original mic was the MC 47 I believe. I considered doing this with my TS 480 but never got around to it. 73, Rob  p.s. Happy New Year!
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Programmable Function key.    You can typically assign a machine function or macro (depending on the system) to be associated with a key press.  Pretty much any button press or menu item selection can be assigned to a PF key with the TS-590S.  There are two on the front panel, PF A and PF B plus the stock microphone has both UP and  DOWN  buttons which can be reassigned (they are really just pre-assigned PF keys).  The PF 1 -> PF 4  slots in the programming are (I guess) holdovers from that earlier mic design that had 4 buttons across the back.

Nick
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not totally sure what a PF key is, but it looks excellent! <,,,>

Nick

Thanks.  I thought it might be something like that, but wasn't sure what PF stood for. Looks like a nice addition to the rig.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Figured I'd tack this on since it is related.   Added a couple of 1/4" jacks on the box, one for a foot switch Mic PTT and the other for an add-on desk mic.   I had a flex goose neck mic holder I picked up at the second hand store I mounted to the desk &  I ordered a Pyle clone of the Shure SM58 off Amazon along with a foot switch, both w/Prime shipping.  The Pyle PDMIC58 is a dynamic mic with the same impedance as the Kenwood hand held that came with the 590.  It was cheap enough to take a chance on & had actually gotten some decent reviews by folks with experience with the real Shure product.  I wired the mic jack to take the hand held's mic out of circuit when the 1/4" mic plug was jacked in.  

Just finished a short net session using it & nobody noted any difference from the stock mic.  That counts as a win as far as I'm concerned.  I was just looking for a hands - free alternative to headset.  TX mon recordings I made sounded pretty much the same for me regardless of which mic was being used.  Total cost for mic, stand, and switch was on the order of $20...

Clip on the goose neck was a bit small, so made a kydex insert to help support the mic.

Switches come with a short pigtail & a 3 wire micro switch inside (common/NO/NC).  Simple but do the job.

Nick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top