Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2015 12:27:28 PM EDT
I have 2 Beofengs right now nad looking for a better general HT.

I was looking at the XTS5000 or the HT1550, cant make up my mind.

Really want FPP and the ability to work with some .mil comms (peltors and quietpros)

I was thinking about getting two radios of the same make, one in 70 and one in 2.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have several Johnson 5100s on 900 MHz and they're mostly the same radio as the xts5000. Great radios with the standard Jedi mic/programming connector.  Do you have any particular questions?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Not particularly, ive read up on them and EVERYONE seems to love them.

This is my first bigger HT purchase and it is a little on the more expensive side. Just want some input before i drop the coin.

I was actually looking to see if anyone has used peltors with them before with any issues? I know they are in use with th e.mil right now.

How does encryption work simplex between two or more xts's?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 3000 and it's a fine radio. I really should unload it, though. Just sits on the desk these days. I'm sure all the batteries are shot.

I don't recall anything particular about simplex encryption. We didn't use it much. Most of it was through the repeater.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is my first bigger HT purchase and it is a little on the more expensive side. Just want some input before i drop the coin.

I was actually looking to see if anyone has used peltors with them before with any issues? I know they are in use with th e.mil right now.

View Quote

Check eBay for 5100s as they tend to be cheaper.

I haven't used one with Peltors but I've used my TCI Liberator II with my Astro Saber and that worked fine.

For crypto, just have the same key loaded into each radio and programmed for use on that channel. Not every 5000 has a crypto board, so make sure the ones you get have the right boards.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#5]
whats the difference in the 5100s and the 5000s?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

5100 is made by Johnson but the internals are the same. The firmware is different. But they're effectively the same radio.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5100 is made by Johnson but the internals are the same. The firmware is different. But they're effectively the same radio.

http://forums.radioreference.com/attachments/old-classifieds-archives/23677d1247788465-motorola-xts5000-vhf-136-174-fpp-model-iii-img_0291.jpg

http://static4.vipasuite.com/_resources/dyn/files/329374z71933f37/_fn/5100+ES+series.jpg

The 5100s used to use XTS3000s internally but not anymore. They are now proprietary.

I would go with the 5k. They are easier to get serviced, easier to find parts and much easier to upgrade.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

The 5k is a top tier unit and can be upgraded with Depot software floating around on the net if wanted. Encryption will work fine among any number of units in simplex as long as they all use the same flavor of encryption and the same keys. You will want a T3011DX keyloader to load them yourself if you are using DES, DES-XL, or DES-OFB which can be had for a reasonable cost.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I too am currently looking at the XTS5000. They are great radios. The EFJ 5100 looks great as well however a quick check on eBay did not show much for affordable units. Does anyone know where you can pick one up for a decent price? How much do these usually sell for? I believe you'd want a newer revision. I have researched them and apparently some of the older models had some serious issues but was supposedly fixed with later revisions. I'd def. want a FPP version.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I too am currently looking at the XTS5000. They are great radios. The EFJ 5100 looks great as well however a quick check on eBay did not show much for affordable units. Does anyone know where you can pick one up for a decent price? How much do these usually sell for? I believe you'd want a newer revision. I have researched them and apparently some of the older models had some serious issues but was supposedly fixed with later revisions. I'd def. want a FPP version.
View Quote

My exact sentiments, most of them are in the 5-6 range
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, that's what I am seeing. Better off with the XTS2500 or XTS5000 for that price.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:35:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yup, that's what I am seeing. Better off with the XTS2500 or XTS5000 for that price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have depot you can flash upgrade to a recent firmware then using a program called FDB tool turn on flash feature (such as FPP) in the EPROM.

I enabled Astro on a UHF Astro Saber and ADP (software) ecryption on all of my Astro/Astro 25 radios in this manner.

Talk to TLF...he just traded a 5k in for a Apex.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:29:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Well...I am a new XTS5000 owner. Picked one up on eBay. Did not think I'd win but I did. Looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:44:52 AM EDT
[#14]
congrats, do you have a shop that will program it for you?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:17:35 AM EDT
[#15]
How much you score it for ? 136?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#16]
This particular XTS5000 is FPP (front panel programming) but I do have access to a cable and CPS if I need to really get into it.

I won the auction for $335.00 which I think is a fair price compared to what I've seen them sell for (usually 400-500 in VG shape). It appears to be in pretty good shape and has been flashed at some point during it's life as it's loaded with features. It's the 146-178 (K) split. Looking forward to trying it out.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This particular XTS5000 is FPP (front panel programming) but I do have access to a cable and CPS if I need to really get into it.

I won the auction for $335.00 which I think is a fair price compared to what I've seen them sell for (usually 400-500 in VG shape). It appears to be in pretty good shape and has been flashed at some point during it's life as it's loaded with features. It's the 146-178 (K) split. Looking forward to trying it out.

View Quote

I'm trying to remember, but I believe a power cycle will remove anything programmed in FPP.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you have depot you can flash upgrade to a recent firmware then using a program called FDB tool turn on flash feature (such as FPP) in the EPROM.

I enabled Astro on a UHF Astro Saber and ADP (software) ecryption on all of my Astro/Astro 25 radios in this manner.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FDB is for legacy Astro only.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm trying to remember, but I believe a power cycle will remove anything programmed in FPP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it won't. That is the 6550 aftermarket options board.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wonder why it has options that only work with Astro 25...anyway my bet is I'm probably wrong. I need to fix my Astro Spectra Plus first before I try and see if I can read an FDB file out of it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#21]
The 5000 is a great radio. I still have one in 7/800. I sold a XTS2500 VHF when I got my APX 7000 VHF/7/800.

Depot can be used to add any features that the radio does not already have that you want. FPP is handy to have but kind of clunky on the XTS. Also makes writing the code plug back to the radio kinds slow.

As far as encryption, ADP can be software based (it can run off of a UCM as well) and does not require a KVL (keyloader) if you are using it software based. Anything run from a UCM will have to be loaded via KVL. But as long as all radios have the same algorithm, key ID, and key then the radios will decode the data.
A side note: ADP should not be considered secure. ADP is only 40 bit encryption. It is very weak and can be broken with the average computer and the right tools.

If you have any encryption questions shoot me a message. I can also do any keyloading up to AES-256 if you need it. I do not have the ability at the moment to flash algorithms into a UCM or MACE yet. So if you do decide you want access to something other than software ADP make sure you order a UCM that already has what you want. Spending a little more on ebay for a UCM is a lot cheaper than a one hit card from Motorola for AES (to the tune of $700)...

ETA: When using depot to "whore flash" the radio, keep an eye on your tuning version. If it changes then the radio will need to be retuned. I have not had this happen yet on any radios except when doing a model change on an XTL.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#22]

<snip>
Wonder why it has options that only work with Astro 25...anyway my bet is I'm probably wrong. I need to fix my Astro Spectra Plus first before I try and see if I can read an FDB file out of it.
View Quote

Depot 15 is what you need for your AS+.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:54:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The 5000 is a great radio. I still have one in 7/800. I sold a XTS2500 VHF when I got my APX 7000 VHF/7/800.

Depot can be used to add any features that the radio does not already have that you want. FPP is handy to have but kind of clunky on the XTS. Also makes writing the code plug back to the radio kinds slow.

As far as encryption, ADP can be software based (it can run off of a UCM as well) and does not require a KVL (keyloader) if you are using it software based. Anything run from a UCM will have to be loaded via KVL. But as long as all radios have the same algorithm, key ID, and key then the radios will decode the data.
A side note: ADP should not be considered secure. ADP is only 40 bit encryption. It is very weak and can be broken with the average computer and the right tools.

If you have any encryption questions shoot me a message. I can also do any keyloading up to AES-256 if you need it. I do not have the ability at the moment to flash algorithms into a UCM or MACE yet. So if you do decide you want access to something other than software ADP make sure you order a UCM that already has what you want. Spending a little more on ebay for a UCM is a lot cheaper than a one hit card from Motorola for AES (to the tune of $700)...

ETA: When using depot to "whore flash" the radio, keep an eye on your tuning version. If it changes then the radio will need to be retuned. I have not had this happen yet on any radios except when doing a model change on an XTL.
View Quote

thanks for the info! Just looked up that apx and i died a little inside.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's definitely the most awesome radio I have ever owned! Well worth what it costs! It only has made me want more!!  
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#25]
The APX is indeed an awesome radio, it will be another 10+ years or so before I can swing one

Until then I believe the XTS5000 will do me well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The APX is indeed an awesome radio, it will be another 10+ years or so before I can swing one

Until then I believe the XTS5000 will do me well.
View Quote

I definitely understand that! I wanted to consolidate radios some and the APX has some features that I was looking for. So now I only have to carry two... They are not cheap but worth it. The XTS is a great radio. I still really like them.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://forums.radioreference.com/attachments/old-classifieds-archives/23677d1247788465-motorola-xts5000-vhf-136-174-fpp-model-iii-img_0291.jpg

http://static4.vipasuite.com/_resources/dyn/files/329374z71933f37/_fn/5100+ES+series.jpg

The old versions had the same RF board. Nowadays, they're completely separate.
ETA: Beat to it!

If you want to buy one, Check out BatBoard and P25 Forums. http://batboard.batlabs.com/ and http://communications.support/
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Another XTS5000 owner here.  I really need to work on getting it programmed to how I want.  Maybe I can get my Moto account reinstated
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Picked up a Q52, 136-174 for 480 shipped with charger :)
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:15:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

You will definitely enjoy it! Solid radios! You might look into having it aligned at a local shop or if you know a ham with the right equipment.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:39:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You will definitely enjoy it! Solid radios! You might look into having it aligned at a local shop or if you know a ham with the right equipment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure the shop I'm buying it from is doing that and flashing it before shipping it out.

Also, who is bidding up that damn peltor ptt on eBay right now?!!?!
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Awesome. My XTS5000 will be here today. Looking forward to programming/playing with it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure the shop I'm buying it from is doing that and flashing it before shipping it out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top