Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2016 7:04:09 PM EDT
Ok,

So here is the deal... I have a RigExperten 30 that I have used for years and generally speaking I trust. I just bought (secondhand) a IP60z mini analyzer for field work (the AA30 is HUGE!).

The problem... Readigns between the two are inconsistent, the IP60z basically seems to read SWR about ~.5 units higher than the AA30. It also reads Z as somewhat higher than the IZI reading of the AA30. The trends/dips are the same, and on the "lower" SWR readings its .2-.3 off while as the readings climb it gets worse.

Example 40m of my G5RV jr

6900 mhz (min)
AA30 SWR 1.6 IZI 68
IP60Z SWR 1.6 Z 71

7100 mhz
AA30 SWR 2.7  IZI 82
IP60Z SWR 3.3 Z 122

7400 mhz
AA30 SWR 3.5 IZI 48
IP60Z SWR 4.9 Z 90

My main concern here is that I got the ip60 for field use, and I might live with an SWR of 3.5, but not 5.0 so the difference in accuracy does concern me some. Is there some reason the IP60 might be reading a much higher Z than the AA30? The AA30 breaks it all down to inductance resistance reactance etc so clearly it has better ways of measuring stuff than the IP60 which is just Z but I'm really surprised by the large differences. Then again I don't have much experience with different analyzers.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Any strong broadcast stations nearby?  They can affect some analyzers more than others and throw the readings off.

A man with one analyzer always know what his antenna system reads.  A man with more than one is never quite sure.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any strong broadcast stations nearby?  They can affect some analyzers more than others and throw the readings off.

A man with one analyzer always know what his antenna system reads.  A man with more than one is never quite sure.  
View Quote

Quantify nearby... Probably within 15-20miles?

I'm mainly curious as to how the Z vs IZI is calculated or measured by the two units as I "think" this is part of the cause. Or that the IP60z might be damaged.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quantify nearby... Probably within 15-20miles?

I'm mainly curious as to how the Z vs IZI is calculated or measured by the two units as I "think" this is part of the cause. Or that the IP60z might be damaged.
View Quote

I don't have any exact numbers for you, nor do I understand exactly how different analyzers actually work other than a basic general understanding.

Take a look at this article.  It was the first I found with a quick search and there are many more discussing these topics.  I read a lot but I'm not an expert.  

http://www.bvarc.org/Tech/BlameItOnIZO.pdf
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Does either one have a calibration option? Some meters can be calibrated with open circuit and shorted loads, and/or a standard 50 ohm load or something.

Other than that, about the best I could suggest is to try both in comparison to other meters on some sample loads and see if one or both are off.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Does either one have a calibration option? Some meters can be calibrated with open circuit and shorted loads, and/or a standard 50 ohm load or something.

Other than that, about the best I could suggest is to try both in comparison to other meters on some sample loads and see if one or both are off.
View Quote

They both read a 50ohm dummy load fine. Just different readings on the same antenna.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top