Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2016 8:10:41 PM EDT
What is your go to wire for building your own dipole?

What I'm currently targeting:

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-antw-300
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the dipole

If it's short than I would just use regular HW store 12 or 14 gage.

it it's long then I would go for Copperweld (I think the Wireman sells it)

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, to be more specific, I want to build a multiband similar to this:

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Free..  Any..   Typical wire which works well...

Prosise
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#4]
WireMan, buy once!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard this copper fishing line makes a good antenna.  Copper fishing line
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I like single core...think I ran 14ga.

Anywhere you can find it cheap.
I always look at the remnant cuts at home depot....sometimes that stuff is cheap.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:31:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It does. It's very good antenna wire, but it's uninsulated, so it'll light things on fire if something touches it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I have been using 14 gauge THHN stranded wire. Seems to work well for "permanent" installations. It is a bit stiff and heavy for portable use, but the price is right.

If I was going to to make exclusively portable antennas I would go with something more flexible and lighter so it could be wound on a keeper without kinking or taking a set, and pack down smaller.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sorry, to be more specific, I want to build a multiband similar to this:

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/images/Multidip.jpg
View Quote

I have a multi-element wire antenna, basically a 40M half square with some extra dipole elements radiating from the feedpoint for higher bands. I'd strongly recommend using the ubiquitous 13AWG copper clad steel stranded for the top (longest, support) wire, and then you can use plain, old, inexpensive 14AWG copper stranded THHN for the rest of it. Use insulated, not bare wire.

The copper clad steel is as strong as you can get, and exhibits very little stretch so re-tuning shouldn't be necessary. Since the other elements will be under no tension to speak of you can use the soft copper.

Everyone says to to thewireman.com for the copper clad steel, but the last time I tried that he was sold out. Amateur Radio Supply is also a good source of supply.

For the THHN, get a 500ft roll from Home Depot/Lowes/etc. It won't go to waste and it's nice to have a roll of wire around when you get inspired to try a new wire antenna design.

Finally, use some 5/16 Dacron for the main halyards. Between that and the 13AWG it'll take an actual tree falling down to take out your antenna, mere wind won't do it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I am on my 4th 500 ft. roll of #14 stranded copper wire, black insulated  from Home depot . Its what i use to make all my antennas , i waist a lot of wire experimenting but i have plenty so i try a lot of designs many of my own . Some work some dont , but i have a damn good idea now about antenna theory, my best antenna my 80 meter horrizontal loop , second best is my 80 meter OCF dipole and numerous verticals and dipoles . But i like playing with antennas.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Black or green THHN 14 awg from home depot.  I also have some Davis rf polystealth from HRO I use when I need it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#13]

How much ya need?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I an looking to build an 80/40/20 or depending on how much wire, 2 out of 3, or 1 out of 3.

Probably start with an 80m. ±120'
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Wireman

I have used these with good results.  The hardware store wire I've used before has seemed like it was very heavy in comparison.

The best of the rugged, stranded, coated antenna wires (CQ 531) now has a new brother, CQ 532, with 18AWG (OD 0.0445") "Silky" 40% copper-clad steel conductor (Nominal OD, 0.090" including 0.020" jacket. This group of antenna wire, including the CQ 534 26AWG "stealth," is the most popular addition in this field in years! Break strength 125 lbs

'Invisible' Toughcoat 'Silky' 26 AWG, 19 strand 40% copper-clad steel (OD 0.020") with the same jacket as 531 (Nominal OD, 0.050" including 0.015" jacket, but super small for that 'low profile' antenna or pocket 'weekender' long wire. Weighs less than one pound per 1000 feet! Not recommended for 160 meters.Break strength 25 lbs
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:58:30 AM EDT
[#16]
It's a little against the grain, but I have used aluminum electric fence wire from the farm supply store for a couple decades now, works great, easy to handle, and inexpensive. 1/4 mile spool should cost you <$30.

Examples:
https://www.amazon.com/Fi-Shock-FW-00001T-Gauge-Spool-Aluminum/dp/B000H5QDVI/?tag=vglnk-c102-20?tag=vglnk-c102-20
16 or 17ga works fine for most applications. I had an 80m dipole up for 15 years in 16ga.

But there is 14ga if you think you need stronger wire:
https://www.amazon.com/Fi-Shock-FW-00007T-Gauge-Spool-Aluminum/dp/B000UGNNUI/?tag=vglnk-c102-20?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Put you a 1 to 1 balun  there where the wires all come together so your coax doesnt act as part of the antenna, will make tuning a whole lot easier.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Put you a 1 to 1 balun  there where the wires all come together so your coax doesnt act as part of the antenna, will make tuning a whole lot easier.
View Quote

This is 100% something I would do, improved my antenna a ton.  Even an ugly choke is good.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is 100% something I would do, improved my antenna a ton.  Even an ugly choke is good.
View Quote

I have used an ugly choke many a time
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wouldn't know of anyone who would brag about putting RF out over fishing line.... (mainly because I can't find the old post)

But what do you know...the first review on that product page seems to be from a rather smart 'Bill' fellow. I'm surprised more people haven't clicked on the Helpful Review button. 
(hint, hint)

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Go with a stranded, insulated, copper clad steel, antenna wire from Wireman. I like his 14 gauge for permanent antennas and 18 gauge for portables.
Copper clad steel won't stretch like the copper only wire (THHN electrical wire or similar). It's insulation won't crack like the THHN, when exposed to sunlight.
The jacket on the Wireman's antenna wire is sturdy, UV protected and non-reflective. It's stealthy and hard to see.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's a little against the grain, but I have used aluminum electric fence wire from the farm supply store for a couple decades now, works great, easy to handle, and inexpensive. 1/4 mile spool should cost you <$30.

Examples:
https://www.amazon.com/Fi-Shock-FW-00001T-Gauge-Spool-Aluminum/dp/B000H5QDVI/?tag=vglnk-c102-20
16 or 17ga works fine for most applications. I had an 80m dipole up for 15 years in 16ga.

But there is 14ga if you think you need stronger wire:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UGNNUI
View Quote

I did this with 14ga steel electric fence wire for the last fan dipole I built.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#23]
While it is very true that any antenna is better than no antenna, confusing functional with optimal does nothing good for you.

Here are a few sources for things to consider when selecting the material for your antennas.

Stack Exchange (didn't know they covered radio too)
An Antenna Guy
Propeller Beanie type forum
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#24]
For HF wire antennas the difference between copper and aluminum is so small as to be meaningless. There is more loss in galvanized steel, but the zinc carries the RF instead of the steel so it's less difference.

If you are making a very low impedance antenna like a small diameter loop or something like that, then by all means use copper, if not silver.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I wouldn't know of anyone who would brag about putting RF out over fishing line.... (mainly because I can't find the old post)

But what do you know...the first review on that product page seems to be from a rather smart 'Bill' fellow. I'm surprised more people haven't clicked on the Helpful Review button. 
(hint, hint)

View Quote

THREAD: Lightweight low volume pack dipole RF over fishing line

There you go

That thread easily cost me money, and got me to build a "yo-yo" style 40m portable for my qrp rig.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 1:03:38 AM EDT
[#26]
14 ga THHN (yes, black) is stiff, tends to coil and kink, but once stretched out and tied off for a permanent
installation is not bad.  The insulation does not hold up well to UV and will crack and peel as others have said.
I will not use this for portable antennas due to the stiffness and tendency to kink.

14 ga MTW (machine tool wire) is softer, more flexible, easier to handle, rarely kinks.  The insulation holds up
very well to UV, and on my 8 yr old fan dipole is still soft and pliable.  It is only about 2c - 3c more expensive
per foot, as compared to THHN.  My personal choice for portable dipoles, OCFDs ("Windoms"), etc.

Copperclad is best for permanent installations.  It does not stretch.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#27]
The fishing line idea is brilliant, especially for portable. Thanks for that.
Uncoated, so watch what it touches but def getting me some of that to experiment with.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top