Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

LoTW still down (Page 3 of 7)
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#1]
The long outage would suggest that they don't have anyone with skills.

Might not have much in the way of communication skills either.

It badly erodes consumer confidence when you stand mute for so long. Timely "sit reps" can go a long way to make people believe that progress is being made. If they think progress is being made, most people will stay with you until a result is obtained. Standing mute just makes everyone throw up their hands and give up on you. It sucks to be them right now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#2]
What's next ?

just like the demise of MFJ, . . . . who's gonna pick up the slack ?

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:05:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Colt653:

What's next ?

just like the demise of MFJ, . . . . who's gonna pick up the slack ?

View Quote

DXCC isn't dead quite yet, but the League isn't doing itself any favors by not stepping out in front of the issue with more frequent updates.  

Silence leads me to believe that their IT isn't making much headway and my guess is their data recovery plan was poorly executed and didn't work.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:11:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#4]
What a fucking pity

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:39:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordVader] [#5]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
it's becoming (more) apparent, at least to me, that developers are not interested in long term results.
Push the code and take the money.

View Quote
You need security from the top.  Any CEO or Leader who doesn't ask his org after all the hacks we've seen, "Can this happen to us?", is at fault.  There are a million consultants an org can hire to audit and assess the security fitness of the org.  Developers have a long list of todo's and security rarely bubbles up unless there is an embarrassing finding by a customer, or a hack.  The only way that changes is if the money and resources come from the top leadership to say: "Find out if we have problems, and fix them."  This why the role CSO exists, to be responsible for security and not a long list of other concerns.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#6]

What a fucking pity

https://i.imgur.com/TRdXcPi.jpg
View Quote

They are very NRAish. I never renewed after my first year of membership.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By K0UA:
The long outage would suggest that they don't have anyone with skills.

Might not have much in the way of communication skills either.

It badly erodes consumer confidence when you stand mute for so long. Timely "sit reps" can go a long way to make people believe that progress is being made. If they think progress is being made, most people will stay with you until a result is obtained. Standing mute just makes everyone throw up their hands and give up on you. It sucks to be them right now.
View Quote

You are so right.  It costs them NOTHING to post a little more detail (obviously without giving away secrets) and apprize us of the progress or lack thereof  on a daily basis.

Here is the communications person, so they've got DEI covered: https://www.arrl.org/news/view/arrl-welcomes-sierra-harrop-w5dx-as-public-relations-and-outreach-manager
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:18:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#8]
The ARRL also manages the awards for the CQ Magazine to include CQ WW DX CW Contest, CQ WW DX SSB Contest, CQ WW VHF Contest, CQ WW WPX CW Contest, CQ WW WPX SSB Contest, and more.  

The CQ Magazine World Wide CW contest is this on this weekend and I'm sure many hams from around the world will be gathering their pitchforks and torches if LoTW stays down they can't get credit for this contest.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

You are so right.  It costs them NOTHING to post a little more detail (obviously without giving away secrets) and apprize us of the progress or lack thereof  on a daily basis.

Here is the communications person, so they've got DEI covered: https://www.arrl.org/news/view/arrl-welcomes-sierra-harrop-w5dx-as-public-relations-and-outreach-manager
View Quote

Paul (Sierra) Harrop
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Moon-Watcher:

Paul (Sierra) Harrop
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
You need security from the top.  Any CEO or Leader who doesn't ask his org after all the hacks we've seen, "Can this happen to us?", is at fault.  There are a million consultants an org can hire to audit and assess the security fitness of the org.  Developers have a long list of todo's and security rarely bubbles up unless there is an embarrassing finding by a customer, or a hack.  The only way that changes is if the money and resources come from the top leadership to say: "Find out if we have problems, and fix them."  This why the role CSO exists, to be responsible for security and not a long list of other concerns.
View Quote

Whats bad is they had a cyber security expert that has been telling them for years they need to fix it. She was on the board. She was run off by the new CEO is my understanding. And as you can imagine she has been very vocal as of late.

K9bob can probably fill in some details.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:

View Quote

Just reinforces why I decided to not give them any money this year.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By stanprophet09:

Just reinforces why I decided to not give them any money this year.
View Quote

I just checked on my membership status. Unfortunately, I'm current until next January, but I shut off automatic renewal.  I'm done with them.  The LoTW thing is like the straw that broke the camel's back, and the "Sierra" thing is like a turd in the punch bowl.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Are there any non-arrl outgoing qsl bureaus?  asking for a friend
View Quote

Sure isn't here unless I read everything wrong, which is about 94% possible.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:06:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: illini52] [#16]
View Quote

The bureau was one of the very few reasons I was a ARRL member.   My plan is to just send cards direct to each countries bureau from now on.  
https://www.iaru.org/reference/qsl-bureau-2/

Without a major shift in how the ARRL conducts itself, I have let my membership lapse and have no plans to renew.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:07:47 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Are we thinking that the bureaus actually check to see if you are an ARRL member?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 6:14:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: illini52] [#20]

interesting take on what to do....could be costly.. but it IS an option
View Quote

I thought so too, but send once a year, get some of the local guys in on it and probably not too bad.  Sending envelopes is not expensive.
Plus I'm not sending stuff to 100 different countries.  Always seems to be a core of 20 or so that my cards are going to.

Or we just start an ARFCOM QSL bureau.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Click To View Spoiler

View Quote

That covers outgoing, but what about incoming? I keep around $5 with my region's incoming bureau so they can forward cards to me, and it seems to work fine. When I send, I send direct.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#22]

That covers outgoing, but what about incoming? I keep around $5 with my region's incoming bureau so they can forward cards to me, and it seems to work fine. When I send, I send direct.
View Quote

ARRL membership not required for incoming QSLs, if that's what you're asking.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:
The ARRL pays $350,000 annually to the general manager (aka CEO) but the IT staff salaries are nowhere near as competitive.

You get what you pay for I suppose.
View Quote

$350,000 to the general manager for a donation based member funded organization?

Wow,

I have never given them any money but I sure as shit am not going to give them money after learning this.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

I wrote a check to them for envelopes and postage a while back, I get quarterly envelopes probably? It always has a countdown of what I have left.
I guess I should send these that I have sitting waiting to go out...
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Day 14
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 4:04:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Moon-Watcher] [#26]
Originally Posted By SkiShooter:
Day 14
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#27]

LOTW  = Lost On The Web

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 12:56:19 AM EDT
[#28]
I tried to sign up with them several times but could never get it to work. Received their postcard, tried, gave up.
I guess I’m not missing anything now?
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 1:35:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#29]
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#30]
How I imagine LOTW’s well oiled machine…..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#31]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2275/IMG_1383_jpeg-3226362.JPG
View Quote

I think Jed and Granny had more  on the ball.  But Jethro....?  Yeah, that's about right
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#32]

I think Jed and Granny had more  on the ball.  But Jethro....?  Yeah, that's about right
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2275/IMG_1383_jpeg-3226362.JPG

Hillbillies would figure out how to cobble something together that would work.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Hillbillies would figure out how to cobble something together that would work.
View Quote

Hillbillies have pretty amazing computer skills in my experience
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 12:00:54 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm sure glad.they are keeping everyone informed about the status of the hack.... The poor communication about LOTW will likely be the end of my ARRL membership.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 7:00:00 AM EDT
[#35]
This was posted on Ping Jockey this morning  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By stanprophet09:
This was posted on Ping Jockey this morning  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199367/ARRL_Update__NOT__png-3227032.JPG
View Quote

Here is yesterday's actual update (and I use the term loosely):
Updated 5/29/2024

This update includes information about the status of several services as we continue to respond to a serious incident involving access to our network and systems.

The ARRL Volunteer Examiner Coordinator (ARRL VEC) has resumed the processing of Amateur Radio License applications with the FCC. A more comprehensive update on the status of ARRL VEC services is available here.

There has been no interruption to visitor operating at W1AW, the Hiram Percy Maxim Memorial Station. The station resumed voice bulletins on Thursday, May 23. All other scheduled transmissions, including Morse code practice, and code and digital bulletins, will resume on Thursday, May 30. Please refer to the regular operating schedule at www.arrl.org/w1aw-operating-schedule.

After last week's distribution of the ARRL Letter, our e-newsletter service has resumed. Current editions of ARRL Club News and The ARES® Letter have also been distributed.

ARRL Store orders have resumed shipping. Orders are being fulfilled from earliest order dates to the latest. Please allow additional time for our processing.

There has been no disruption to the @arrl.net email forwarding service, though forwarding email addresses and aliases cannot be modified at this time.

Our telephone system is unavailable at this time.

We appreciate your patience as we continue working on restoring access to affected systems and services.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Interesting. So this problem goes well beyond just LoTW and affected all their systems. Perhaps some were just shut down out of an abundance of caution, but with the phone and other systems slow to come back online that suggests they had to be rebuilt from scratch and they are doing the easier to rebuild systems first.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 11:53:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K0UA] [#38]
Snipped from another forum:

The update:

Mike Ritz, W7VO, ARRL 2nd Vice President, was at the WVDXC club meeting last night, having just attended an ARRL board meeting to discuss the outage. Mike reported those meetings are a weekly event until the matter is resolved.
Everything that was running on INTERNAL servers is down until further notice. That includes their VoIP phone system, their .org email addresses, and front ends for things like LOTW. Everything running on external servers - cloud servers etc. - including LOTW data, is believed unaffected. But, such data will not be available until the internal matters are resolved. Thus, "[email protected]" doesn't work - because that was on their internal mail server. But "[email protected]" does - because the relays didn't run internally. I checked, and [email protected] works.
Efforts to restore the internal systems is proceeding full-time. No time-line can be given. The nature of the problem cannot be discussed.
I believe Mike said - with air asterisks around his words - "We have been advised to say nothing." He responded similarly when asked if "the Feds" were investigating this.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Hmm...

Sounds like two possibilities:

-External bad actor(s), likely a ransomware attack

-Internal bad actor(s), maybe a disgruntled employee
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#40]

The update:

Mike Ritz, W7VO, ARRL 2nd Vice President, was at the WVDXC club meeting last night, having just attended an ARRL board meeting to discuss the outage. Mike reported those meetings are a weekly event until the matter is resolved.
Everything that was running on INTERNAL servers is down until further notice. That includes their VoIP phone system, their .org email addresses, and front ends for things like LOTW. Everything running on external servers - cloud servers etc. - including LOTW data, is believed unaffected. But, such data will not be available until the internal matters are resolved. Thus, "[email protected]" doesn't work - because that was on their internal mail server. But "[email protected]" does - because the relays didn't run internally. I checked, and [email protected] works.
Efforts to restore the internal systems is proceeding full-time. No time-line can be given. The nature of the problem cannot be discussed.
I believe Mike said - with air asterisks around his words - "We have been advised to say nothing." He responded similarly when asked if "the Feds" were investigating this.
View Quote

Interesting.  Did he say who advised them to say nothing?
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

The update:

I don't know anything, I just pulled this off of another forum. But it does seem to answer some question. Especially how our data could be safe, but the front end of LOTW is in the dirt.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#42]
At this point they should just move all their systems and servers and services to the cloud and be done with it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:
At this point they should just move all their systems and servers and services to the cloud and be done with it.
View Quote

That sounds like a really good idea.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

I am a big fan of local machines and local control, in other words not a huge cloud fan. Of course, I assume proper IT management and security, which is evidently lacking at ARRL. The thing that pisses me off is that this stuff is NOT rocket science that mere mortals cannot hope to manage.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#45]
I am a big fan of local machines and local control, in other words not a huge cloud fan. Of course, I assume proper IT management and security, which is evidently lacking at ARRL. The thing that pisses me off is that this stuff is NOT rocket science that mere mortals cannot hope to manage.
View Quote
I agree, sort of. It sticks in my craw that with cloud services it's a never ending financial drain and that one does not have total control. Indeed, at the last company I worked for prior to retirement, I started as employee #11. And, as luck would have it, de facto CIO. I was able to take the IT plant from hobby-time to full-on professional with a disaster plan and off-site backup (at a remote office, so we owned that, too) in less than a year. But, ten years later, with the company not wanting to invest in continuous improvement of the IT plant, we were saddled with ten year old hardware running ten year old software, most of which was going unsupported. Our contract IT services company was balking at continuing to support it, too. The company did not want to invest $100K in new hardware and all new software. Ultimately it was easier and more financially palatable to the C-suite to roll-over and go to cloud services. So we bought the government version of Microsoft 365 etc., etc. (we had the then new DoD cybersecurity requirements to meet). As you know, it works really well, you are always on the latest version of hardware and software, costs are easily forecast, and other than the internet connection going down extremely reliable. But the company will pay and pay and pay, and there is that ever present specter of the data being not fully in your control. YMMV.

Link Posted: 5/30/2024 4:27:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#46]
I agree, sort of. It sticks in my craw that with cloud services it's a never ending financial drain and that one does not have total control. Indeed, at the last company I worked for prior to retirement, I started as employee #11. And, as luck would have it, de facto CIO. I was able to take the IT plant from hobby-time to full-on professional with a disaster plan and off-site backup (at a remote office, so we owned that, too) in less than a year. But, ten years later, with the company not wanting to invest in continuous improvement of the IT plant, we were saddled with ten year old hardware running ten year old software, most of which was going unsupported. Our contract IT services company was balking at continuing to support it, too. The company did not want to invest $100K in new hardware and all new software. Ultimately it was easier and more financially palatable to the C-suite to roll-over and go to cloud services. So we bought the government version of Microsoft 365 etc., etc. (we had the then new DoD cybersecurity requirements to meet). As you know, it works really well, you are always on the latest version of hardware and software, costs are easily forecast, and other than the internet connection going down extremely reliable. But the company will pay and pay and pay, and there is that ever present specter of the data being not fully in your control. YMMV.
View Quote

Ugh. Want to bet that that the ARRL didn't invest in continuous improvement either?
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 6:29:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#47]

What a bunch of fucking idiots

disappointed

not surprised

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#48]
So they still aren't fessing up to what even happened?
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#49]
I guess never figuring out how to ever get LOTW to work in the first place wasn’t a bad thing after all?
I’m not a paper chaser though.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

There is a distinct possibility there is nothing left to move.
Page / 7
LoTW still down (Page 3 of 7)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top