Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2017 7:20:26 AM EDT
Any suggestions? I have a few current options here at home that I may use but it would be nice to have just a dedicated knife to skin with. About a $50 budget. I do not need a Stag horn grip knife for this
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#1]
had the same issue last year.  I have the gamete of expensive knives (Benchmade, spyderco, emmerson) but wanted a dedicated skinning knife.  I ended up buying a nice blank and then dremil sanding my own grips.  I'm not really a DIY guy but I enjoyed the easy project and got something I really like for its purpose.  I was out the door around 50 bucks but I did upgrade the grips to some dark Africa wood that I think looks better and is supposed to be really hard wood (giggity).  I keep it in my workshop (or beer drinking station) which is essentially a garage addition built under a large addition on my house.  It stays rather warm in there but the temp does fluctuate so I wanted a harder wood handle.  I have a nice concrete patio under my addition and I just hang the deer down there and do my butchering.   If you decide to go this route just make sure you pins line up perfectly before you start hammering away or you can crack the wood.

When all else fails the Buck 101 is a classic and exactly at your price point.

Smokey Mountain Knife Works Blank  I ended up with something similar to this but with a gut hook on the back.  I don't see my exact model but honestly I didn't google-fu to hard.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:21:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I picked up one of these a few years ago at Wal-Mart for $17.  Back them black was the only color available.  The orange would be a great option, my nephew bought one too and we said so at the time.

https://www.buckknives.com/product/paklite-skinner-knife/0140FAM01/

He shot a buck that year that we gutted and skinned.  A couple days later he shot a cow elk.  He got her gutted saving the anus for last.  His knife was just them getting dull enough to be dangerous so l gave him mine.  When we got home a few strokes with his Lansky brought his knife back. I now carry a sharpening steel in my pack.  

These little knives are impressive.  I still carry my ColdSteel Master Hunter but rarely use it anymore.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Skinning as in you are processing it yourself or just a knife for field gutting?  For gutting, a knife the size of an ESEE Izula is perfect.  Skinning requires a longer sweeping or trailing point blade.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:31:28 AM EDT
[#4]
The more with the been plastic handles works great on Amazon search more knife. They run less than 15 bucks come razor sharp.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Something with a gut hook on it such as the Gerber Myth works better for me and is a great feature for zipping through hide.

But I use a Buck 118 too, that belonged to my dad:
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#6]
No you don't. Just get a friggin knife and skin some deer.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a havalon Piranta. It gets dull toss a new blade on it. Blades are cheap too.

Piranta
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:19:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Currently, I have my ESEE 4 sharped to use if we get one in the next few days. I plan to get something new before this next weekend though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:28:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a havalon Piranta. It gets dull toss a new blade on it. Blades are cheap too.

Piranta
View Quote
I have one of these and it is amazing.  I also have a Jeff White Nessmuk like this that I carry on my belt:

Attachment Attached File

For some reason I cant get the picture to load.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't hunt but I have cleaned a lot of fish. Any knife that makes the job quicker and easier and allows you save more meat is worth something.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have one of these and it is amazing.  I also have a Jeff White Nessmuk like this that I carry on my belt:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74034/Jeff_White_Custom_Nessmuk_Knife_&_R__Jones_Sheath_55_00-341527.JPG

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Piranta

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74034/Jeff_White_Custom_Nessmuk_Knife_&_R__Jones_Sheath_55_00-341527.JPG

The Piranta works great for deer, but don't expect much out of them if you're skinning hogs. Hogs are bad about dulling a normal blade. Those really fine scalpel-like blades get trashed in a hurry.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Skinned, gutted and butchered a lot of hogs with Mora knives.
I'll start with 2 or 3 Mora knives so I don't have to sharpen them in the middle of the job.
They are cheap so it doesn't hurt to buy couple and easy to keep sharp.
Not fancy but they work well.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Make your own. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#15]
If you just want something cheap that works, Mora's or Hultafors are a good option.  I would go with carbon steel with either of those as their stainless isn't very stainless in my experience.  Both are available on Amazon for around $15 or less.  The sheaths are cheap but functional.  

The Hultafors HVK is one of the best values around at just over $7.

I like the classic Buck knives too.  The 112 Ranger is my favorite but I also have a couple of 110 Hunters and a 102 Woodsman fixed blade that I use regularly.  The 103 Skinner will have a better blade profile for a dedicated skinner but that makes it less versatile.  It's much harder to cut out the anus or separate joints with a deep bodied blade than with something like a clip point.

My dedicated skinner is a Bark River Loveless Drop Point Hunter, but that's well outside of your budget.

I usually keep at least two knives on me while hunting.  Which two usually comes down to what happens to be the sharpest at the time.  I rotate them out during the season and resharpen them in the off season.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Skinned, gutted and butchered a lot of hogs with Mora knives.
I'll start with 2 or 3 Mora knives so I don't have to sharpen them in the middle of the job.
They are cheap so it doesn't hurt to buy couple and easy to keep sharp.
Not fancy but they work well.
View Quote
Agree a nice sharp Mora will do just fine, and put one to good use skinning a bull elk taken by a member of the hunting party a few years ago. Other guys were somewhat surprised by how well it was going, and wanted to know more about the Mora.

Since then I acquired a Helle knife with a more rounded blade shape, which I prefer for skinning. The Helle knives are my first choice, but a little more spendy.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#17]
One other thing...
In addition to Mora knives, I usually carry a box cutter with new blade.  I use the box cutter to get the initial Y or X cuts and around legs where I have to cut through hair/fur.  Deer/hog/elk hair/fur will dull a sharp knife very quickly so I use the box cutter to get the job started.  Then I use the Mora to actually do the skinning and other work.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
This!

If you WANT to justify buying another knife, have at it.

But I have skinned well over 100 deer and use whatever is handy.
If the deer is still warm I peel more than anything.

Handiest 2 things to me area 4 1/2" Rapala filet knife and a single edged razor blade. I use 100s of them.

Also trap, and use a few no name knives and a LOT of razor blades.
Skin a few otters and get back to me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 3:01:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The Piranta works great for deer, but don't expect much out of them if you're skinning hogs. Hogs are bad about dulling a normal blade. Those really fine scalpel-like blades get trashed in a hurry.
View Quote
Are you cutting the hair or is it just that the hide is much thicker?  There are no hogs in WA so I don't have any experience with them.  I can normally get 2-3 deer with each Piranta blade (using a pull through sharpener) before I try and use them like a prybar on something and they break.  That being said, I always try and cut from the inside out and no use it on hair.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Are you cutting the hair or is it just that the hide is much thicker?  There are no hogs in WA so I don't have any experience with them.  I can normally get 2-3 deer with each Piranta blade (using a pull through sharpener) before I try and use them like a prybar on something and they break.  That being said, I always try and cut from the inside out and no use it on hair.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never cut through the hair. I hook the blade underneath the skin and cut out. Their hide is tougher, but you don't actually cut through the hide much. I don't know what it is about them that dulls blades to be honest. The "shield" is really rough on blades, but the Piranta with a brand new blade I used was dull before I ever got to the shield.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I never cut through the hair. I hook the blade underneath the skin and cut out. Their hide is tougher, but you don't actually cut through the hide much. I don't know what it is about them that dulls blades to be honest. The "shield" is really rough on blades, but the Piranta with a brand new blade I used was dull before I ever got to the shield.
View Quote
Thanks for the info.  I would love to go hog hunting, someday Ill be in an area where the live.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Any suggestions? I have a few current options here at home that I may use but it would be nice to have just a dedicated knife to skin with. About a $50 budget. I do not need a Stag horn grip knife for this
View Quote

Amazon Product
  • RAZOR SHARP BLADE - Extra Wide 4" 420HC Steel Blade has excellent strength, edge retention and corrosion resistance. Full Tang Construction with Integrated Finger Guard and Deep Choil make this knife an excellent choice for the serious hunter
  • SKIN LIKE A PRO- The skinner blade is optimized for skinning game. The narrow tip and wide curved belly provide a smooth skinning sweep that aids getting through thick layers. The downward angled point helps prevent an accidental slice through the hide
  • EXCLUSIVE, ELITE AND LUXURIOUS - Traditional Black Phenolic Handle has curves and palm swells for a comfortable sure grip. The Aluminum Pommel / Guard provide a perfect combination of beauty and balance. Overall Length 8-1/4", Weight 4.3 oz.

Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Piranta
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I added a Buck 0691 Zipper to the collection that arrived today; shiny, smoothly finished, feels solid and really good to my hand, and it's sharp as a razor.

Amazon Product
  • RAZOR SHARP & VERSATILE- 4-1/8" Drop Point Gut Hook 420HC Steel Blade delivers excellent strength, edge retention, and corrosion resistance. The full bellied drop point is suitable for heavier tasks, the gut hook is essential while field dressing game
  • SOLID BUILD, SMART DESIGN - Full Tang Construction with Integrated Finger Guard and a Deep Choil help make this knife one of the best options for serious hunters and outdoor enthusiasts who appreciate quality. 8-1/2" Overall Length, Weight, 6.3 oz.
  • COMFORTABLE GRIP AND BALANCE - Texturized Anti-Slip Rubber Handle with contoured grip make maneuvering through field dressing a breeze. The Brass Pommel / Guard provides a perfect combination of beauty and balance

Link Posted: 11/4/2017 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Case Knifes! Still made in America. The make a couple nice skinners.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#26]
This right here.  Cheap, easy to sharpen and perfect for the job.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 2:25:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Get the Buck skinner 103. I have lots of custom knives but nothing has come close to it. It’s superb.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 11:37:32 PM EDT
[#28]
cabelas alaskan guide made by buck knives. has the s30v steel and i have skinned and gutted 4 deer and it will still cut hairs on my arm with ease. its over budget but its worth the extra in my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:24:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
cabelas alaskan guide made by buck knives. has the s30v steel and i have skinned and gutted 4 deer and it will still cut hairs on my arm with ease. its over budget but its worth the extra in my opinion.
View Quote
If you buy a Buck, either go this route or custom order one off their website with the s30v steel.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you buy a Buck, either go this route or custom order one off their website with the s30v steel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I didn't know they had that option. My favorite skinning knives are one particular line Buck made about 15 years ago, the Diamondback. They are supposedly 420HC steel, but I've never seen any other knife with that steel that even comes close to comparing to those knives. I can skin/gut multiple deer with them and they'll still shave. They can make it though about 1 1/2-2 hogs before they stop shaving. I almost wonder if the steel they messed up and used some other steel on those blades. Needless to say, I have a fondness for Buck, but hate junk knives which pretty much all of the rest of the Buck line are.

I've always wanted a 119, but didn't want to spend the money on what was essentially a junk knife. The option of S30V steel in one has me thinking I might get one after all.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Buck doesn't offer the customization option on all their models.  Just their most popular ones.  

As far as conventional stainless goes, their 420HC is pretty good because of their heat treatment but it still doesn't compete with modern super steels IMO.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Piranta
View Quote
I've been using a Buck Vanguard since 1994.  I've lost count of how many it's done.  Not the best for either gutting or skinning though.  When I first saw the Havalon knives on MeatEater, I knew I wanted one.  Got a Piranta about three years ago.

It's a great gutting knife, almost too sharp as I seem to cut myself every time.  And as much as I want to hate it or try something new, I keep coming back to the Piranta.  I can usually get two deer out of a blade, although the swept portion tends to get dull a little too quickly.

The plastic on mine is cracking in a couple of spots, so I don't know how much longer I'll get out of it.  I still carry the Vanguard, but anymore I just plain suck at sharpening.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 12:29:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Buck 119
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:29:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a nice drop point Cold Steel knife that I've skinned and boned a cow elk and a Deer with and have yet to sharpen it.  I also have a set of knives from Knives of Alaska and really like them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Piranta
View Quote
Just ordered a no. 8 fixed handle and 50 no. 70 blades.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Blackjack 125 or Bark River Gunny or one of many from them. I like the Bucks as well but they tend to dull somewhat by the time I’m finishing up. The A2 steel keeps an edge better.

Eta spelling
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#37]
I learned to skin from an old Mexican butcher, that man could take a cow apart with a 4" Paring knife, hide, head, legs off. I prefer this knife for skinning. Hit it on the stone before going out, a few blade wipes and licks on a good steel, and I've skinned 3 elk without going back to a stone.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Piranta
You’ll be happy you did.

For the guys that say they suck on hogs, I’ve skinned hogs with mine. Blade gets dull I chuck it, easy as that. They are cheap and take all of 3 seconds to change out. Blade gets dull, stop skinning, drink some beer, change blade, have some more beer, back to skinning.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
One other thing...
In addition to Mora knives, I usually carry a box cutter with new blade.  I use the box cutter to get the initial Y or X cuts and around legs where I have to cut through hair/fur.  Deer/hog/elk hair/fur will dull a sharp knife very quickly so I use the box cutter to get the job started.  Then I use the Mora to actually do the skinning and other work.
View Quote
This is the way to do it. A regular construction knife with a carpet blade for the original cuts and the $10 Mora's that I buy in three's when Amazon puts them on sale. I bring at least two on each hunt so I don't have to worry about sharpening between deer. Even if I did, it only take about 15 minutes to put the edge back on it if you do it after two deer.

Construction knives are cheap and easier to find replacement blades than the Havalon if you forget before hunting.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Something with a gut hook on it such as the Gerber Myth works better for me and is a great feature for zipping through hide.
https://www.bladesandbows.co.uk/ekmps/shops/bladesbows/images/gerber-myth-fixed-blade-pro-gut-hook-4764-p.jpg

But I use a Buck 118 too, that belonged to my dad:
https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/234/234956.jpg
View Quote
I picked up the Gerber combo a few weeks ago and it did really well.  I was pleased with it for out of the box sharpness.  Only thing was it didn't do all that well going through the sternum, but I used a bone saw for that part anyway.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This is the way to do it. A regular construction knife with a carpet blade for the original cuts and the $10 Mora's that I buy in three's when Amazon puts them on sale. I bring at least two on each hunt so I don't have to worry about sharpening between deer. Even if I did, it only take about 15 minutes to put the edge back on it if you do it after two deer.

Construction knives are cheap and easier to find replacement blades than the Havalon if you forget before hunting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One other thing...

Hook the knife under the hide and you don't have to cut through fur.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top