Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 1:52:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: imq707s] [#1]
Originally Posted By GTOMike87:
Since I’m a glutton for punishment (hence, salesman), I figured I would start this thread

I’ve been in the industry six years now, five in sales. I work for a large family owner dealership that carries dozens of product lines. Ask away!
View Quote

Are there any brands (besides Airstream) that are really better than the others? or all that all pretty much built as fast and as cheap as possible by a bunch of meth heads?

Link Posted: 8/10/2021 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#2]
What brand travel trailers does your dealership carry?
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

If you like that layout (in person, not just online pics), then the Salem or Wildwood is an awesome floorplan that similar with a little different seating area. Everyone makes models that are similar to that with their own take on it.  

If concerned about fees, ask upfront. If they aren't honest about them from the get go then I'd be a little leery.

If we're talking about MSRP vs sales price, there is almost always room to move off MSRP
View Quote

MSRP to selling price on ours was about $7000.  We were going to get a plain jane model for $15k, but they didn't have one in stock in a 2020 model, and the plain 2021's were more expensive.  So, we got them down to $900 for both the off-grid and outfitter packages, which, actually, we do like.  The bike rack, toy lock, solar, better vent fan, water miser shower faucet, 1" lift and 15" wheels with 235/75 tires were worth it.  The ground clearance was nice the first trip we made, boondocking on some family land, in the woods.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DV8:

Flagstaff has another line, identical but with a different manufacturer name.  Can't recall now.  Made in same factory, same everything save exterior color.  Flagstaff models are tan/brown, others are white and brown IIRC.
View Quote
Plus, if you get a Forest River brand, you get to join F.R.O.G., and go to FROG rallies, and become "one of us"!!!!  
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#6]

My best guess is that it breaks up the monotony of a big white sidewall. Also, if you have a 40' piece of fiberglass with no designs on it any flaw or imperfection will stand out like a sore thumb.
View Quote

You can still see 'em.  

Speaking of the finish, new decals suck.  Even protecting ours with Avalonking ceramic coating didn't help.  The front graphics are already starting to peel.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By FreeAmerican:

Rockwood.  Which is the path we took.  Rockwood and Flagstaff seem to be very similar but they are always at different dealers, never at the same dealer.

As such we have loved our Rockwood, build quality has been way better than average.
View Quote

Both are Forest River brands, as is Coachmen.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DV8:

My wife and I are dying to go!  Not sure when the next one is.
View Quote

We went to the one in Chenango Valley, NY a few weeks ago.  It was a good time.  Setup a bunch of EZ ups behind the hosts' site, did a camper crawl, ate lots of food, and got soaked on Saturday evening in a downpour.    Make an account on Forest River Forums, it kinda reminds me of Arfcom for RV's.

The big FROG national rally is held in Indiana, and there's manufacturer support there.  Not that cheap to attend, but it includes a LOT of stuff.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By draver:
I don't know if you also deal in motor homes, but I have been thinking about buying another in the next year or so.  I bought new in 2005, but only kept that unit for 3 years or so.  (Newmar, Dutch Star, 40ft., quad slide) Prices have really gotten outrageous for new units.  I am lookin at Class A units around 40', 3-4 slides, from mid range name brands.  I do see some pretty nice rigs for $85-$100K and wonder how much I might need to spend on repairs and replacements in the first year?  Tiffin, Monaco, etc. from 2004-2008 seem well built and I am assuming most with less that 100K miles to still have some life left in them due to being diesel and solid construction.  I will put 10K miles or less on per year, and also wonder if there are any extended warranties worth a damn for a new owner?
View Quote

If you’re looking at that age and price point, I’d go Tiffin all day. Since they didn’t go bankrupt the parts and support are still there

First year expenses can vary widely, I’ve seen rigs need nothing and I’ve seen them need $10k in the first year.

As for extended warranties, those aren’t my area of expertise, but what I can tell you is that many people find themselves better off using the $7-10k that the warranty would cost and just putting it in the bank just in case.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:
Any comments on things to look out for with "slides" on used models?

And thanks for all your responses OP.
View Quote

If you’re checking one out and the slides seem to struggle or go out unevenly make sure it’s addressed. Also look at slide seals to make sure they aren’t torn or rotted.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 2:31:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ubaddog] [#11]
Do you guy do lease deals on new units like an automotive dealership?
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By imq707s:

Are there any brands (besides Airstream) that are really better than the others? or all that all pretty much built as fast and as cheap as possible by a bunch of meth heads?

View Quote

They’re all put together from parts from the same suppliers. It’s all about who assembles them and which parts the manufacturer decides to allocate resources to. One big issue is that every manufacturer’s brand is run quasi independently at different plants so it’s hard to make a blanket statement. That being said, I’ve always thought Winnebago, Grand Design, Coachmen, Rockwood/Flagstaff, Some Keystone, and a couple others that slip my mind right now are good campers. If you want info on Motorhomes I can go into that too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By rgaper:
What brand travel trailers does your dealership carry?
View Quote

We carry Primetime, Coachmen, Grand Design, Little Guy, East to West, R-Pod, and a couple others at my location. Other brands at my other locations
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By u-baddog:
Do you guy do lease deals on new units like an automotive dealership?
View Quote

We do not, some dealers do rentals but ours isn’t one of them. Predicting the residuals on these is a crap shoot
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#15]

If you're looking at that age and price point, I'd go Tiffin all day. Since they didn't go bankrupt the parts and support are still there

First year expenses can vary widely, I've seen rigs need nothing and I've seen them need $10k in the first year.

As for extended warranties, those aren't my area of expertise, but what I can tell you is that many people find themselves better off using the $7-10k that the warranty would cost and just putting it in the bank just in case.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I don't know if you also deal in motor homes, but I have been thinking about buying another in the next year or so.  I bought new in 2005, but only kept that unit for 3 years or so.  (Newmar, Dutch Star, 40ft., quad slide) Prices have really gotten outrageous for new units.  I am lookin at Class A units around 40', 3-4 slides, from mid range name brands.  I do see some pretty nice rigs for $85-$100K and wonder how much I might need to spend on repairs and replacements in the first year?  Tiffin, Monaco, etc. from 2004-2008 seem well built and I am assuming most with less that 100K miles to still have some life left in them due to being diesel and solid construction.  I will put 10K miles or less on per year, and also wonder if there are any extended warranties worth a damn for a new owner?

If you're looking at that age and price point, I'd go Tiffin all day. Since they didn't go bankrupt the parts and support are still there

First year expenses can vary widely, I've seen rigs need nothing and I've seen them need $10k in the first year.

As for extended warranties, those aren't my area of expertise, but what I can tell you is that many people find themselves better off using the $7-10k that the warranty would cost and just putting it in the bank just in case.

I included Monaco because of the build quality and overall appearance.  I liked my Newmar, but it had a few issues early on, so I know anything else will probably too.  They had a 3 year warranty then at least.   I guess I'm hoping the previous owner sorted out the important problems and I would like to get a very thorough inspection before purchase.  Also Discovery, National, Coachman, and even Winnebago have some decent looking rigs in my range..  I recall most owners rarely using their RV's and babying them when they did.  I'm hoping to find a "Cherry" unit from some old, compulsive, obsessive disorder owner.  What should I expect to pay for a good pre purchase inspection?
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#16]

I included Monaco because of the build quality and overall appearance.  I liked my Newmar, but it had a few issues early on, so I know anything else will probably too.  They had a 3 year warranty then at least.   I guess I'm hoping the previous owner sorted out the important problems and I would like to get a very thorough inspection before purchase.  Also Discovery, National, Coachman, and even Winnebago have some decent looking rigs in my range..  I recall most owners rarely using their RV's and babying them when they did.  I'm hoping to find a "Cherry" unit from some old, compulsive, obsessive disorder owner.  What should I expect to pay for a good pre purchase inspection?
View Quote

I agree about Monaco’s quality, I just think about long term parts and service availability. They had their own chassis, and used a lot of proprietary parts from what I recall.

What size and layout are you looking for? That can make a big difference in price point, as does the engine size and type.

A pre purchase inspection will run anywhere from 800-1500 from what I’ve seen. Make sure they’re RVIA certified too. Lots of guys running around doing inspections that have no business doing it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#17]

I agree about Monaco's quality, I just think about long term parts and service availability. They had their own chassis, and used a lot of proprietary parts from what I recall.

What size and layout are you looking for? That can make a big difference in price point, as does the engine size and type.

A pre purchase inspection will run anywhere from 800-1500 from what I've seen. Make sure they're RVIA certified too. Lots of guys running around doing inspections that have no business doing it.
View Quote
I favor 40 ft. 3-4 slides, 330-400 hp Cummins or Cat. Diesel, 7+ Kw gen. All will have most of what I want like inverter, maybe Hydro hot water, roof air x 2, etc.  about what I had before. Thanks for the pricing on the inspection, a little more than I guessed.  All these type systems mean there will always be problems, I budget about $20K for possible problems in the first 2 years.  I thought about a "Toad" also, but will probably just use our electric bikes and rental cars.  Seems like a good solution to local travel and economical also.  I figure why tow a car across country to make a 5 mile Walmart run?
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Do you sell NOBO?  Good stuff?

Been looking at one.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a new Vintage Cruiser that we like a lot. Sure, there are a few things that look like they were assembled by a drunken chimpanzee (Screws stuck in the roofing caulk? Really?), but it's pretty nice...with one exception: The Dometic air conditioner is noisy as hell and we're thinking of replacing it.

Which brand air conditioner would you recommend?

Thanks.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm looking at a 2021 Keystone 27RLS. Its $32k in this market

Seems built ok. Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I favor 40 ft. 3-4 slides, 330-400 hp Cummins or Cat. Diesel, 7+ Kw gen. All will have most of what I want like inverter, maybe Hydro hot water, roof air x 2, etc.  about what I had before. Thanks for the pricing on the inspection, a little more than I guessed.  All these type systems mean there will always be problems, I budget about $20K for possible problems in the first 2 years.  I thought about a "Toad" also, but will probably just use our electric bikes and rental cars.  Seems like a good solution to local travel and economical also.  I figure why tow a car across country to make a 5 mile Walmart run?
View Quote

Most inspections take anywhere from 6-8 hours to perform, and they travel to our shop to perform them.

I’m seeing more and more people ditching the tow vehicle and doing what you describe, makes total sense.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By VACaver:
I have a new Vintage Cruiser that we like a lot. Sure, there are a few things that look like they were assembled by a drunken chimpanzee (Screws stuck in the roofing caulk? Really?), but it's pretty nice...with one exception: The Dometic air conditioner is noisy as hell and we're thinking of replacing it.

Thanks.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/100647/Camper_jpg-2047695.JPG
View Quote

Is that ducted or non ducted? That’s a good question on where to find a quieter one, I think there are comparison charts from various sources.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Laferty:
I'm looking at a 2021 Keystone 27RLS. Its $32k in this market

Seems built ok. Your thoughts?
View Quote

Which model line? Bullet, passport, etc?
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Metonymy:
Do you sell NOBO?  Good stuff?

Been looking at one.
View Quote

Don’t sell them new, but the ones I’ve seen are well made. We sell some stuff that’s a little bigger but very similar.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Which model line? Bullet, passport, etc?
View Quote

Sorry, it is a Hideout series.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#26]
What is the Arfcom for RV's? I'm thinking about a Class B or C in the next year or two.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Is that ducted or non ducted? That’s a good question on where to find a quieter one, I think there are comparison charts from various sources.
View All Quotes

Thanks.

It's non-ducted.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#28]
What class C is built on the best chassis?  I'm considering one for when I retire.  I'd guess Mercedes????
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 7:37:10 PM EDT
[#29]

It's non-ducted.
View Quote

Coleman Mach makes a new model that’s very quiet, and I believe the Advent A/Cs are quieter as well. Any non ducted is going to be louder than ducted, but there is some room for improvement
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DoctorCAD:
What class C is built on the best chassis?  I'm considering one for when I retire.  I'd guess Mercedes????
View Quote

If the size works for you (24-25 ft), then the Mercedes chassis is a great chassis that’s only limited by carrying capacity. If you’re looking at longer then you’re in Ford econoline territory. It’s a proven chassis, been in use for a long long time. It’s just a little more utilitarian
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Coleman Mach makes a new model that’s very quiet, and I believe the Advent A/Cs are quieter as well. Any non ducted is going to be louder than ducted, but there is some room for improvement
View All Quotes

It's non-ducted.

THanks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I have quite a few tents. How is it better than a tent?
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#33]

If the size works for you (24-25 ft), then the Mercedes chassis is a great chassis that’s only limited by carrying capacity. If you’re looking at longer then you’re in Ford econoline territory. It’s a proven chassis, been in use for a long long time. It’s just a little more utilitarian
View Quote

Interesting...

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Your opinion on the Tiffin Wayfarer?

Thanks OP
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#35]
You handle any B's?  Who's the #1 B manufacturer these days?
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By m200maker:
I have quite a few tents. How is it better than a tent?
View Quote

A lot of our customers start out in tents, but as they get older and life changes they find they don’t want to sleep on the ground. In reality, it’s different strokes for different folks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Burnsome-:
Your opinion on the Tiffin Wayfarer?

Thanks OP
View Quote

Great product, I’ve sold them since they started production. Hard to find one these days, but I’m happy to help you out any way I can
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 9:25:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
You handle any B's?  Who's the #1 B manufacturer these days?
View Quote

We handle quite a few B models. In terms of sheer volume Winnebago and Thor sell the most. Any models in particular of interest?
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#39]
We handle quite a few B models. In terms of sheer volume Winnebago and Thor sell the most. Any models in particular of interest?
View Quote

Not really.  I'll have to look up Thor.  Everything on the MB Sprinter chassis, or has Ford been making inroads?
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Who makes an RV that you can drive up to a rain sewer on the street and just pull a lever in the cab to dump without getting out?
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Have you seen Winnebago Man?  10 out of 10

Link Posted: 8/10/2021 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Not really.  I'll have to look up Thor.  Everything on the MB Sprinter chassis, or has Ford been making inroads?
View Quote

Ford was making inroads, but the chip shortage really kneecapped their production of the Transit chassis. Lots of options out there, I’m happy to weigh in on whatever you’d like to know
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Best value in 4-season truck camper with dry bath? Lance? Host? Arctic Fox? Other? Has to be something that a 3500 dually can haul with plenty of cushion left over for full tanks/gear/etc. Don't want to have to bump up to 450/550. I'm retiring in 6 years and would like to kick off my retirement with at least a year long road trip. Being a natural introvert, the enclosed space doesn't bother me a bit. A truck camper is plenty of space for me and more compact than towing a trailer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 7:08:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By sgthatred:
Who makes an RV that you can drive up to a rain sewer on the street and just pull a lever in the cab to dump without getting out?
View Quote

To my knowledge there are none. That being said, what you’re describing (dumping black or grey water like that) is illegal in pretty much all states. You have to discharge at a dump station.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 7:09:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ThaBaron:
Have you seen Winnebago Man?  10 out of 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWUWPx2VeQ
View Quote

It’s a classic! Basically required viewing in this business ha.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 7:11:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By charliebravo:
Best value in 4-season truck camper with dry bath? Lance? Host? Arctic Fox? Other? Has to be something that a 3500 dually can haul with plenty of cushion left over for full tanks/gear/etc. Don't want to have to bump up to 450/550. I'm retiring in 6 years and would like to kick off my retirement with at least a year long road trip. Being a natural introvert, the enclosed space doesn't bother me a bit. A truck camper is plenty of space for me and more compact than towing a trailer.
View Quote

I’ve only ever sold Lance, and that’s been a couple of years ago now so I’m not super sharp on truck campers. Those that you names are all solid choices though. I liked Lance because they used Azdel In all but their largest model, don’t know if that’s changed or not.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#47]

Thanks.

View Quote

Looks like the same 13.5kbtu that we have in ours.  They're gonna be noisy if they're not a ducted version.  If air blows directly out of yours, and not through ducts, then yea, it's noisy.  You can add a Soft Start or Easy Start to it, which will get rid of the thump when the compressor kicks on, and will allow you to run it on most 2000w inverter generators.  They're $300'ish.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 8:07:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Is the Airstream Basecamp a good trailer or WAY overpriced for what it is?

In this size/type of trailer, what would you recommend?
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By 0002s:
Is the Airstream Basecamp a good trailer or WAY overpriced for what it is?

In this size/type of trailer, what would you recommend?
View Quote

The Basecamp is a cool trailer. We have an Airstream dealership a few miles from me that I want to go check out , but Airstream prices are a little crazy. I also have gotten used to the luxuries of my Grand Design TT.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Might try this on our Dometic 13.5K:

How to make a non-ducted RV air conditioner more efficient.

Page / 8
Top Top