Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TitusPullo303:

The Basecamp is a cool trailer. We have an Airstream dealership a few miles from me that I want to go check out , but Airstream prices are a little crazy. I also have gotten used to the luxuries of my Grand Design TT.
View Quote

If you’re in Virginia then I have a pretty good idea who you’re talking about, we’re located pretty close by and get a lot of cross shoppers. They are great campers, I don’t know if the corresponding price difference that comes with all aluminum is worth it for most people.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#2]
How about a winterized B for one person that would let you travel from ski area to ski area? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By GTOMike87:

If you're in Virginia then I have a pretty good idea who you're talking about, we're located pretty close by and get a lot of cross shoppers. They are great campers, I don't know if the corresponding price difference that comes with all aluminum is worth it for most people.
View Quote
I guess the shell should hold up a lot better than other construction, right?  The appliances, lights, switches, outlets, and whatnot are all sourced from the same suppliers, but stuff like that is probably more desirable to deal with down the road than structural problems.

For us, cost and the floorplan were the biggest factors, so we knew we were going to get something that wasn't as solid, with cheaper bits inside.  But, the way I look at it, I'd rather save a few thousand on the initial purchase, and then choose what I want to upgrade.  We upgraded both faucets, added bedlift struts, supports for the dinette table top when it's used as a bed, second battery, flip-down brackets to use a sink cover as a counter extension, vortex bathroom vent fan, added mudflaps, spare tire cover, supports for the steps, etc... I'm sure we could have gotten all of that in a more expensive trailer, but we got to pick exactly what we wanted, and did the labor ourselves.

The next big upgrade is going to probably be a shower surround.  We don't use the shower a whole lot, so it's not a need-to-do thing right away, but I like the idea of a more secure water barrier there.  Just need to figure out which one we want to buy, and then doing the install.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#4]

To my knowledge there are none. That being said, what you’re describing (dumping black or grey water like that) is illegal in pretty much all states. You have to discharge at a dump station.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sgthatred:
Who makes an RV that you can drive up to a rain sewer on the street and just pull a lever in the cab to dump without getting out?

To my knowledge there are none. That being said, what you’re describing (dumping black or grey water like that) is illegal in pretty much all states. You have to discharge at a dump station.

The middle of nowhere is a pathway to many dump stations some consider to be unnatural...
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Lippert didn't plan accordingly when considering the placement of the outriggers.  Had to have them cut off and new ones rewelded on for proper tire clearance.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the chance to pick up a used A Liner for cheap...$1200. My dad had it new (2006 I think) then sold it to a neighbor who kept it under cover and only used it to escape the wife.

Thoughts on them?
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#7]

If you’re in Virginia then I have a pretty good idea who you’re talking about, we’re located pretty close by and get a lot of cross shoppers. They are great campers, I don’t know if the corresponding price difference that comes with all aluminum is worth it for most people.
View Quote

I agree, but they sure are sharp looking. So I take it we aren’t talking to Matt from Matt’s RV reviews hahaha
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#8]

I agree, but they sure are sharp looking. So I take it we aren't talking to Matt from Matt's RV reviews hahaha
View Quote

Some have noted that the rounded shape reduces space inside somewhat.  60-70 year old airstreams, in rough shape, still sell for the price of new smaller cheap TT's.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Blackmore:
How about a winterized B for one person that would let you travel from ski area to ski area? Thanks.
View Quote

I’d look into one of the shorter wheelbase Sprinter 4x4 based models like the Revel or Sanctuary. Both solid options, and there are plenty of dealers/service centers for them
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By armednhappy:
I have the chance to pick up a used A Liner for cheap...$1200. My dad had it new (2006 I think) then sold it to a neighbor who kept it under cover and only used it to escape the wife.

Thoughts on them?
View Quote

Good rigs with a pretty good fan following. Find out what kind of cover it was under, if it was just a regular tarp I’d be very leery of moisture damage. Definitely allocate some time and money to check everything out before you use it
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#11]

I agree, but they sure are sharp looking. So I take it we aren’t talking to Matt from Matt’s RV reviews hahaha
View Quote

You are not, but I have met the guy. I can tell you one thing: his on screen persona is no act. That’s him ha. He’s a nice guy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#12]

I’d look into one of the shorter wheelbase Sprinter 4x4 based models like the Revel or Sanctuary. Both solid options, and there are plenty of dealers/service centers for them
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blackmore:  How about a winterized B for one person that would let you travel from ski area to ski area? Thanks.

I'd look @ a Sportsmobile.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

View Quote

Not a bad option, no idea where their pricing falls though. I think theirs are all pretty much built to order if I remember right.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By GTOMike87:  Not a bad option, no idea where their pricing falls though. I think theirs are all pretty much built to order if I remember right.
View Quote

Yes, but have been building them for years, so available on the used market.  The important key here is they use an internal water tank, which raises the CG, but makes it much more capable in freezing weather.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 6:46:15 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

I did, thanks. Bit of overkill for my application since I'd not be using it anywhere near its capabilities, particularly the rest of the year. Looks like I'm over double the age of their target market + $$$!
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Blackmore:

I did, thanks. Bit of overkill for my application since I'd not be using it anywhere near its capabilities, particularly the rest of the year. Looks like I'm over double the age of their target market + $$$!
View Quote

They are pretty awesome rigs for sure. Just comes down to how/how often you see yourself using it. What kind of price range are you looking in? Or do you have one yet?
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a question.

My Rockwood has toppers on all three slides, the middle being the longest.  The long topper seems to always catch a good amount of rain if there is a downpour.  It seems that it has screeched the topper fabric a little after a huge storm.

I've used floaties and pool rafts to some degree of success in-between the  topper and the slide.

At what point do I worry about it, are there newer ones that work better.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By FreeAmerican:
I have a question.

My Rockwood has toppers on all three slides, the middle being the longest.  The long topper seems to always catch a good amount of rain if there is a downpour.  It seems that it has screeched the topper fabric a little after a huge storm.

I've used floaties and pool rafts to some degree of success in-between the  topper and the slide.

Thoughts?
View Quote

I believe most, if not all toppers, have the ability to adjust the tension. That’s my first thought from what you’re describing.

How old is the rig? That will help me determine whether or not there are ones that work better.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#19]

I believe most, if not all toppers, have the ability to adjust the tension. That’s my first thought from what you’re describing.

How old is the rig? That will help me determine whether or not there are ones that work better.  
View All Quotes
I have a question.

Thoughts?

It’s a 2018 Rockwood 2909wDS
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#20]

It’s a 2018 Rockwood 2909wDS
View Quote

If I’m understanding what you’re describing, my first thought is that you can adjust the tension to see if that helps. Unfortunately toppers often hold quite a bit of water, you should see how much collects on some of the big full wall slides on Motorhomes
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I just paid 97,900 for a Winnebago Solis 59px. Could I have done better?
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 7:31:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Prominus:
I just paid 97,900 for a Winnebago Solis 59px. Could I have done better?
View Quote

Sounds like either a fair or very good deal depending on what month you bought it. The later in the year the more we’ve seen costs on those go up. What color?
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#23]
@GTOMIKE87

So I'm back in the market to get a used Class A diesel pusher 34-38 ft by either Tiffin or Winnebago. I'm leaning more towards the Tiffin and specifically the Allegro Red.

Thought's on the Tiffin Allegro? Any experience on how Tiffin's quality has held up specifically in 2020 and 2021?

Thoughts on when you think the market will go back to more 'normal'? I know a lot of people have bought a rig to get out from all the Covid BS only to realize that the RV life isn't for them or as easy as they think. I suspect that units will start to become available and prices will drop but what are your thoughts?

I'm looking only for companies that aren't in the RV capital of the world currently due to labor issues, quality issues and how the units are being pushed out the door half assed. (Little to no post-production quality or clean up, although Renegade has a great reputation)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By chaas67:
@GTOMIKE87

So I'm back in the market to get a used Class A diesel pusher 34-38 ft by either Tiffin or Winnebago. I'm leaning more towards the Tiffin and specifically the Allegro Red.

Thought's on the Tiffin Allegro? Any experience on how Tiffin's quality has held up specifically in 2020 and 2021?

Thoughts on when you think the market will go back to more 'normal'? I know a lot of people have bought a rig to get out from all the Covid BS only to realize that the RV life isn't for them or as easy as they think. I suspect that units will start to become available and prices will drop but what are your thoughts?

I'm looking only for companies that aren't in the RV capital of the world currently due to labor issues, quality issues and how the units are being pushed out the door half assed. (Little to no post-production quality or clean up, although Renegade has a great reputation)

Thanks!
View Quote

I’ve been selling Tiffins for about five years now and I can say I haven’t seen any real change in quality or QC over the last couple of years.

The Allegro Diesels are very good rigs, they may not have as many bells and whistles as the Phaeton, but they’re excellent for someone who doesn’t need the 380 engine or doesn’t care about all that.

The return to normal part is a tough one. My gut feeling is that travel trailers, gas Cs and gas As will be the rigs whose values drop the most when things calm down. The people who usually buy a diesel aren’t the casual ones who just jump into $250k and up whereas the trailers and smaller Motorhomes are an easier pill to swallow so I think those will be the ones most commonly sold off after this is over. Diesel inventory is relatively good right now, and if you’re considering going a couple years old I’d compare prices to new if I were you. There’s a very good chance you could go new for almost the same money.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Are we at "peak RV" right now? Is it a bubble that might break? Any crystal ball predictions for the RV industry in two years?
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Whamo:
Are we at "peak RV" right now? Is it a bubble that might break? Any crystal ball predictions for the RV industry in two years?
View Quote

We may be at a peak, but all of the data I’ve seen points to strong demand and short supply continuing for a year or so at least. All of our manufacturers are telling us the same thing: they have backlogs that stretch out until next fall or further. We may see an issue where lots are finally full again (we’re at probably 20% of our usually inventory) and the demand slopes off. I don’t think prices will fall much though.

In two years time my best guess is that lots will look very similar to what they looked like two years ago: lots of inventory. The feedback we’re getting from first time customers who bought last year is almost universally that they are enjoying camping and don’t plan to stop.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By GTOMike87:  We may be at a peak, but all of the data I’ve seen points to strong demand and short supply continuing for a year or so at least. All of our manufacturers are telling us the same thing: they have backlogs that stretch out until next fall or further. We may see an issue where lots are finally full again (we’re at probably 20% of our usually inventory) and the demand slopes off. I don’t think prices will fall much though.

In two years time my best guess is that lots will look very similar to what they looked like two years ago: lots of inventory. The feedback we’re getting from first time customers who bought last year is almost universally that they are enjoying camping and don’t plan to stop.
View Quote

Yeah, 87% of those will use their camper half as much again next year, then half of that the next year on, etc.  Much like a boat, albeit a camper can serve other purposes than recreation.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Yeah, 87% of those will use their camper half as much again next year, then half of that the next year on, etc.  Much like a boat, albeit a camper can serve other purposes than recreation.
View Quote

The boat comparison is probably the most apt way to look at it. Time will tell, this business has always had ups and downs and I’m just along for the ride.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By GTOMike87:  The boat comparison is probably the most apt way to look at it. Time will tell, this business has always had ups and downs and I’m just along for the ride.
View Quote

Sell, sell, sell!  No harm in it if a new family has to learn about depreciation the hard way on a small bumper-tow trailer - you'll save them from much more expensive lessons on new vehicles down the road.  And unlike a boat, grandma can spend the weekend - or a month - in the backyard w/ the grandkids w/o becoming the evil MIL who is as unwelcome as a 3-day old fish.

I bought a used B & lived in it off & on for more than a decade, but barely even drive it anymore, b/c I have much better options.  I got my money out it & more, but like boats, few folks do out of an RV.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#30]

Sell, sell, sell!  No harm in it if a new family has to learn about depreciation the hard way on a small bumper-tow trailer - you'll save them from much more expensive lessons on new vehicles down the road.  And unlike a boat, grandma can spend the weekend - or a month - in the backyard w/ the grandkids w/o becoming the evil MIL who is as unwelcome as a 3-day old fish.

I bought a used B & lived in it off & on for more than a decade, but barely even drive it anymore, b/c I have much better options.  I got my money out it & more, but like boats, few folks do out of an RV.
View Quote

There are a lot of new guys on our sales floor who are making good money simply by being there to take info and not run people off. The guys who have been in the industry for a while know that things could come to a halt at any time because we know the historical trends and we plan accordingly. They also know that you aren’t just selling to that one customer, do a good enough job and half the campground will be coming to see you. This is a very relationship based business.

We see quite a few people go the boat to rv to boat to rv transitions. Lots of crossover there.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#31]
GTOMike,  Since you sell Tiffin, I am seeing some Allegro Bus 40 QDP models for sale that appeal to me and appear to be nice used units.  I am thinking something around $100K and an keeping a $20K reserve for repairs and upgrades.  Does the Tiffin company do repair/refurb work on their older units, like 2004-2010?  I expect to have some cosmetics like fogged windows, and other brand specific issues they could address.  Also, how about exterior paint work?  The exterior probably will need some touch up after 40-80K miles I would assume.  I used to keep my 40' Newmar Dutch Star stored in a single rv rental garage and would probably want to do the same with the next one, so I'm willing to pay for maintenance.  If they do work on older units, is it worth the trouble and where are they located?
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 5:16:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By draver:
GTOMike,  Since you sell Tiffin, I am seeing some Allegro Bus 40 QDP models for sale that appeal to me and appear to be nice used units.  I am thinking something around $100K and an keeping a $20K reserve for repairs and upgrades.  Does the Tiffin company do repair/refurb work on their older units, like 2004-2010?  I expect to have some cosmetics like fogged windows, and other brand specific issues they could address.  Also, how about exterior paint work?  The exterior probably will need some touch up after 40-80K miles I would assume.  I used to keep my 40' Newmar Dutch Star stored in a single rv rental garage and would probably want to do the same with the next one, so I'm willing to pay for maintenance.  If they do work on older units, is it worth the trouble and where are they located?
View Quote

Tiffin themselves don’t do repairs on rigs of that age but there is an entire cottage industry if guys who do. Most of them are located in and around Red Bay Alabama. Companies like Bay Diesel and Bunkhouse Custom are probably the best known but there are many others. There is also one place in California I believe and possibly Oregon but their names escape me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the info.  Do you have an opinion of the Allegro Bus, 2005-2010, and finding a nice one for $80-$100K?  Looks like a decent rig and the floor plan suits me for my travel needs.

When I had my Dutch Star I drove it from CA at the time to Indiana to get the galley floor changed and a few other little things worked on.  I toured the Newmar factory while back there also.  Pretty interesting and they deserved the reputation they had at the time.  From the resale pricing, looks like they still hold their own against the competition.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Would you let a customer spend 8hrs doing a pre-purchase check?

Cause I've got WAY more than 8hrs fixing shit that was messed up from the get go....

It's my first camper and didn't know any better.

I STILL choose a camper over a hotel.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 6:10:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for the info.  Do you have an opinion of the Allegro Bus, 2005-2010, and finding a nice one for $80-$100K?  Looks like a decent rig and the floor plan suits me for my travel needs.

When I had my Dutch Star I drove it from CA at the time to Indiana to get the galley floor changed and a few other little things worked on.  I toured the Newmar factory while back there also.  Pretty interesting and they deserved the reputation they had at the time.  From the resale pricing, looks like they still hold their own against the competition.
View Quote

Those tend to be good rigs, assuming maintenance has been done. There were a couple of design flaws from that era that are well known: wet bay floors that rotted out and something to do with the roof rails needing work(stop early so I’m not completely awake yet). By now most people have addressed them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By dbb1776:

Cause I've got WAY more than 8hrs fixing shit that was messed up from the get go....

View Quote

As a rule, yes. There are some caveats though: if it’s new the only things fixed will be the stuff that the manufacturer covers under warranty, if it’s used then I’m going to set the expectations of what we will and will not fix as part of the deal.

In my experience, inspectors have been almost completely worthless. The stuff they find is almost always stuff that my shop would catch anyway. From a business standpoint, they cost us shop space and time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#37]

As a rule, yes. There are some caveats though: if it's new the only things fixed will be the stuff that the manufacturer covers under warranty, if it's used then I'm going to set the expectations of what we will and will not fix as part of the deal.

In my experience, inspectors have been almost completely worthless. The stuff they find is almost always stuff that my shop would catch anyway. From a business standpoint, they cost us shop space and time.
View Quote

That's interesting to hear.  I'm assuming if your shop has found an issue, then that would be fixed or disclosed to buyers.  I would want an inspector to look at a private sale of course.  Now I'm chasing the 2008-2010 Fleetwood Providence 39 models with the full driver side "Superslide".  Any input or experience with those?  Sorry to bug you with all these questions.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#38]

As a rule, yes. There are some caveats though: if it’s new the only things fixed will be the stuff that the manufacturer covers under warranty, if it’s used then I’m going to set the expectations of what we will and will not fix as part of the deal.

View All Quotes

Well, my ac froze up, my fridge wasn't even plugged in, my ac plenum needed the gaps filled in, the kitchen faucet leaked out of the base and dripped from the spout, I had 3 leaks from pipes being damaged during install, my factory installed rear view camera didn't have power(yes, I turned on my truck lights).

My plastic fender fell off because the installer wallowed out several holes for .....whatever reason. My bench seat for my dining table fell apart, so I screwed that together.

Brand new trailer....

Warranties are worthless to people who actually use the trailer.  If you have to take it in for repairs, the shop is 6-8 weeks out for appointments, and then 6-8 weeks to repair. That's If you bought it from them....
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#39]

That's interesting to hear.  I'm assuming if your shop has found an issue, then that would be fixed or disclosed to buyers.  I would want an inspector to look at a private sale of course.  Now I'm chasing the 2008-2010 Fleetwood Providence 39 models with the full driver side "Superslide".  Any input or experience with those?  Sorry to bug you with all these questions.
View Quote

Not bugging me at all! I don’t consider myself an expert on the Providence line, but one thing to keep in mind from those years is that Fleetwood declared bankruptcy around that time. If they had any proprietary parts it is possible that they’ll be tough to find.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#40]

Well, my ac froze up, my fridge wasn't even plugged in, my ac plenum needed the gaps filled in, the kitchen faucet leaked out of the base and dripped from the spout, I had 3 leaks from pipes being damaged during install, my factory installed rear view camera didn't have power(yes, I turned on my truck lights).

My plastic fender fell off because the installer wallowed out several holes for .....whatever reason. My bench seat for my dining table fell apart, so I screwed that together.

Brand new trailer....

Warranties are worthless to people who actually use the trailer.  If you have to take it in for repairs, the shop is 6-8 weeks out for appointments, and then 6-8 weeks to repair. That's If you bought it from them....
View Quote

Much of those problems I can place on the dealer for doing a sub par prep process. Did they give you a walk through/demo where you were allowed to work everything?

I’m lucky enough that my company has a trailer prep facility in Elkhart where rigs are inspected before they’re shipped out to us, I’ve found that helps tremendously on issues like this.

Link Posted: 8/22/2021 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#41]

The fact that you aren’t in a hurry is a good thing.

For what you’re planning to use it for, make sure it had an enclosed underbelly with heating ducted into it so your pipes don’t freeze in the winter. You may find yourself looking into the higher range of your budget to get one that isn’t junk. Five years ago a $10k camper that was decent could be had with relative ease, not so much anymore.
View Quote

Three years ago we were $7k upside down on our trailer. Three weeks ago we sold it for more that we owed. The market is crazy now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Metonymy:
Do you sell NOBO?  Good stuff?

Been looking at one.
View Quote

We just bought 2 19.8’s. No buyers remorse. Fit and finish is excellent.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Much of those problems I can place on the dealer for doing a sub par prep process. Did they give you a walk through/demo where you were allowed to work everything?

I’m lucky enough that my company has a trailer prep facility in Elkhart where rigs are inspected before they’re shipped out to us, I’ve found that helps tremendously on issues like this.

View All Quotes

Brand new trailer....

It's my first rv, so I didn't know what to look for. The walk through was about 15 min.
Oh the grey and black tank valves were mis-labeled, figured that out when my tub filled up while I was taking a shower....
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 7:05:04 AM EDT
[#45]

It's my first rv, so I didn't know what to look for. The walk through was about 15 min.
Oh the grey and black tank valves were mis-labeled, figured that out when my tub filled up while I was taking a shower....
View Quote

I’ve seen countless grey and black handles mis labeled over the years, seems to be something pretty common.

As for it being your first, I get it. There are tons of things that unless you know to look for them you just wouldn’t know. A walk should be at least an hour, especially for a first timer.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By The_Whale:
If you were to buy one today knowing what you know, what brand / model would you buy?
View Quote

ATC/fiberglass/airstream.  No stick and staple.  Tiffin/Monaco if no choice.

<--- RV technician
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By sandblaster:
Renegade Super C coaches any good?
ETA: you are gonna jump your own post count considerably.
View Quote

Yes very good.  Super C better than Class A any day.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:
Any comments on things to look out for with "slides" on used models?

And thanks for all your responses OP.
View Quote

Don't buy it?

Slide should be:
Level front to back.
Level side to side.
Seal against sidewall when closed. minimum 50% compression of bulb seal.
Seal against inside when open same thing.
Not excessive rust on mechanical rails.
Wires etc held/suspended correctly not hanging down.
No gaps in sealant on roof/sides/ Check bottom underneath outer corners for soft floor.
Move all at once.  Not one side in then the other starts.  
Not squeak
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 12:17:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GETBACKINTHEKITCHEN] [#50]

If you’re looking at that age and price point, I’d go Tiffin all day. Since they didn’t go bankrupt the parts and support are still there

First year expenses can vary widely, I’ve seen rigs need nothing and I’ve seen them need $10k in the first year.

As for extended warranties, those aren’t my area of expertise, but what I can tell you is that many people find themselves better off using the $7-10k that the warranty would cost and just putting it in the bank just in case.
View All Quotes
I don't know if you also deal in motor homes, but I have been thinking about buying another in the next year or so.  I bought new in 2005, but only kept that unit for 3 years or so.  (Newmar, Dutch Star, 40ft., quad slide) Prices have really gotten outrageous for new units.  I am lookin at Class A units around 40', 3-4 slides, from mid range name brands.  I do see some pretty nice rigs for $85-$100K and wonder how much I might need to spend on repairs and replacements in the first year?  Tiffin, Monaco, etc. from 2004-2008 seem well built and I am assuming most with less that 100K miles to still have some life left in them due to being diesel and solid construction.  I will put 10K miles or less on per year, and also wonder if there are any extended warranties worth a damn for a new owner?

If you’re looking at that age and price point, I’d go Tiffin all day. Since they didn’t go bankrupt the parts and support are still there

First year expenses can vary widely, I’ve seen rigs need nothing and I’ve seen them need $10k in the first year.

As for extended warranties, those aren’t my area of expertise, but what I can tell you is that many people find themselves better off using the $7-10k that the warranty would cost and just putting it in the bank just in case.

As a mobile tech, I don't do warranties.  Not going to be on the phone with people all day.  Not going to email people either.  Lots of mobile techs do the same.

Customers buy the warranty expecting everyone to take it.  Sucks when they're in a jam and need a mobile guy. Out of pocket, maybe get reimbursed, or nothing sorry.
Page / 8
Top Top