Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Thealien:
can a decent used diesel pusher be had for $80,000+ I am in MA but would be willing to travel to $ave
View Quote

It’s possible. You’re probably looking a decade or more old at that price point. You may have to sacrifice some wants at that price point, and just be aware of issues that may be present in an older rig.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#2]
How bad is the financing for these things now days? We are looking at purchasing a trailer and can easily throw 20-30% down. I saw 8.5% interest thrown around. Or is it better just to wait til the full recession hits to try and get one?
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By superduc21:
How bad is the financing for these things now days? We are looking at purchasing a trailer and can easily throw 20-30% down. I saw 8.5% interest thrown around. Or is it better just to wait til the full recession hits to try and get one?
View Quote

Rates have changed so much over the last few months it’s tough for me to keep up. Last I heard, even with rock star credit 8% is about as good as most of the recreational banks are offering now. I’ve been of the mind that if you’re going to jump there’s no time like the present. I’d be surprised if rates go anywhere but up for a while. Will prices drop to the point that they offset increases? I kinda doubt it, but who knows. If you think you want to jump in, go for it and have some fun this spring and summer.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 2:01:30 AM EDT
[#4]
When is the best time of year to buy? I'll probably be in the market in later summer '24, should I wait until winter '24-'25?
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 11:07:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By FOX_OSCAR_hook:
When is the best time of year to buy? I'll probably be in the market in later summer '24, should I wait until winter '24-'25?
View Quote

Over the last couple of years, the answer to that has almost always been right now. (Assuming you’re talking new). Costs and interest rates have only moved one direction so waiting has meant spending more. If you can move your timeline up there are probably some serious savings to be had by buying as soon as possible. just a thought.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By GTOMike87:

Over the last couple of years, the answer to that has almost always been right now. (Assuming you're talking new). Costs and interest rates have only moved one direction so waiting has meant spending more. If you can move your timeline up there are probably some serious savings to be had by buying as soon as possible. just a thought.
View Quote
Thanks for the insight. Unfortunately, I can't get serious about it until I get back to the US in summer '24. Will probably look to buy gently used.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Great thread, lets keep it going
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bosqueboy:
Great thread, lets keep it going
View Quote

Glad you guys have enjoyed it!
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 11:28:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: waldershrek] [#9]
I just read through this thread while shopping for a used toy hauler and picked up a few things.

Now that I have mine (2018 Wolf Pack 315pack12) I noted a few things....

1. It is shocking how shitty these things are built
2. It may be more shocking how clueless some dealers are about not only the units and their features but how shoddy the maintenance that they do it. For example, my dealer "resealed" the slide out seals.....I'll attach a photo

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Figured I would hop in, why not I'm the guy that wanders to other peoples sites.

First looked at a TT in 2019 didn't like terms and walked only to come back in 2021 and wish for that deal again. We ended up with the same 2019 camper used for the price of new in 2019. We ended up with a KZ 260BHSE here, our main use is for semi boondocking at hunting dog tests. We have done some "general recreation" as we call it. Besides a roof replacement on the road that was covered by insurance it's been a fun ride. I'm 50/50 on no slides I really needed to stay lighter because I use a lot of my truck payload to haul the dogs. Still killed a leaf spring in 2022 and put in a upgraded set. I'll see if I can dig some pictures up, I've ended up in some random places.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Our last trip to WY I used my boss truck and man a 3/4 ton sure is nice.

Photo 1
Photo2
Photo3
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow that's quite a buggy
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DSMtsi:
Our last trip to WY I used my boss truck and man a 3/4 ton sure is nice.

Photo 1
Photo2
Photo3
View Quote

Love seeing people actually use their rigs! Always makes me a little sad when someone tells me they don’t use the rig but once or twice a year.

If I had any tech savvy I’d be happy to post pics of any model you guys can think of, I’m fortunate to have address to tons of cool rigs.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 12:34:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I've read through the thread, but I may have missed it: is there a brand of truck camper that you would recommend over the rest? My wife and I are going to be in the market soon.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By lew:
I've read through the thread, but I may have missed it: is there a brand of truck camper that you would recommend over the rest? My wife and I are going to be in the market soon.
View Quote

Truck campers are the product I know the least about. East of the Mississippi they seem to be less popular so I’ve only ever sold a few. I’m sure we have others here who know wayyyyy more than I.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Truck campers are the product I know the least about. East of the Mississippi they seem to be less popular so I’ve only ever sold a few. I’m sure we have others here who know wayyyyy more than I.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I figured it was worth a shot. I'm settled on a couple of options already. Cheers!
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#17]
What’s your opinion about schoolies.  I shied away because f the fear breakdown.  But after see how most RVs appear to be made of tin foil and cardboard I’m thinking maybe they aren’t s bad after all.  At least the underlying structure is solid and they can haul/tow a ton.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By YankeeDog357:
What’s your opinion about schoolies.  I shied away because f the fear breakdown.  But after see how most RVs appear to be made of tin foil and cardboard I’m thinking maybe they aren’t s bad after all.  At least the underlying structure is solid and they can haul/tow a ton.
View Quote

As long as you go into it understanding that assessing value on one is near impossible and banks aren’t really willing to loan the money for the next person to purchase a home build I have no qualms. Depending on the number of windows, insulation may be a big challenge. I don’t know what type of power train school buses have, or if they’re rated to tow, just not something I’ve ever researched.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By YankeeDog357:
View Quote

I'd say you're much better off looking at a commercially converted Prevost bus.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:

I'd say you're much better off looking at a commercially converted Prevost bus.
View Quote

I’d do the conversion myself.  The interior has never been my fear.  Just the heavy Diesel engine.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#21]
How far off from MSRP is the order cost for you? 30%? 50%? More?
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Hitman9921:
How far off from MSRP is the order cost for you? 30%? 50%? More?
View Quote

That number varies substantially from manufacturer to manufacturer and from one product type to another.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Do you sell toy haulers today? Good bumper pull models that have a 12ft or larger garage?
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Hitman9921:
Do you sell toy haulers today? Good bumper pull models that have a 12ft or larger garage?
View Quote

@Hitman9921

Yes I do. Not sure of your budget, but the the two that come to mind are an Alliance Valor 31T13 or a Grand Design Momentum 31G are two that fit the bill.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#25]
A Tiffin RED, or similar.

Cash offer, how much can they discount?

Link Posted: 7/15/2023 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By vatopa:
A Tiffin RED, or similar.

Cash offer, how much can they discount?

View Quote

You’d be better off financing as leverage to get a better price, we’ve been pretty aggressive on pricing with those rigs to make way for 2024s. Is there a specific model of RED?
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Every camper store lot I have been passing appears to be overflowing with campers.  Are there deals to be had?
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By entropy:
Every camper store lot I have been passing appears to be overflowing with campers.  Are there deals to be had?
View Quote

Yes there are, it’s a legitimately good time to buy new. Pre owned prices have stayed fairly high and steady but if someone is looking at new it’s go time.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 11:00:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#29]
Since I’m a glutton for punishment (hence, salesman), I figured I would start this thread

I’ve been in the industry six years now, five in sales. I work for a large family owner dealership that carries dozens of product lines. Ask away!
View Quote

What’s the outlook on the RV market?  Bought a Jayco SLX184BS for $13,500 back in 2019. Sold it in 2021 for what we paid after we bought a nome and didn’t have anywhere indoors to store it. I felt bad just letting it sit outside. Getting ready to build a garage now and looking at prices you’d think dealers believe we’re still in the midst of the Covid panic. Same camper is $20k+ right now.

That said…who makes a small(ish) (22ft or so) toy hauler with fold down bunks/cots in the garage area?  Ideally need a queen up front, two fold down off the wall cots in the garage, and the youngest could sleep on the fold down dining area.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#30]

Yes there are, it’s a legitimately good time to buy new. Pre owned prices have stayed fairly high and steady but if someone is looking at new it’s go time.
View All Quotes

What is a good starting point, percent below list?
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#31]

What is a good starting point, percent below list?
View Quote

It depends heavily on product type and manufacturer. The percentage I can get you off of a Thor Class C is vastly different than what can be done on a Keystone fifth wheel
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By cms81586:

What’s the outlook on the RV market?  Bought a Jayco SLX184BS for $13,500 back in 2019. Sold it in 2021 for what we paid after we bought a nome and didn’t have anywhere indoors to store it. I felt bad just letting it sit outside. Getting ready to build a garage now and looking at prices you’d think dealers believe we’re still in the midst of the Covid panic. Same camper is $20k+ right now.

That said…who makes a small(ish) (22ft or so) toy hauler with fold down bunks/cots in the garage area?  Ideally need a queen up front, two fold down off the wall cots in the garage, and the youngest could sleep on the fold down dining area.
View Quote

Let’s see: Grand Design Momentum 21G, Salem 175RTk, and Coachem Adrenaline 2T are the first to come to mind.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 3:05:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JLH3] [#33]
View Quote

@lew

My dad had a Four Wheel  camper in his Tundra for almost 10 years.  It was a great camper and he loved it.  He finally upgraded to an Airstream Bambi.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:42:08 PM EDT
[#34]
I know you mainly deal with MH now, but any idea on best pop-up to get today? We have a very old and cheap Jayco that we bought to try and see if we'd use it and like it and we do, so a new one is on the list now. I've been looking at the Forest River Rockwood 1940LTD mainly since I don't want a slide out. I know there aren't a whole lot of companies offering them anymore and the market seems to dominated by Forest River and its various brands. We'd haul it behind a 2020 Ford Explorer. We know a smaller trailer would be smarter, but we like being different.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By JLH3:

@lew

My dad had a Four Wheel  camper in his Tundra for almost 10 years.  It was a great camper and he loved it.  He finally upgraded to an Airstream Bambi.
View All Quotes

@lew

@JLH3

Interesting. How is it for insulation? I will be doing a lot of winter camping.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#36]
The wife and I are starting to look into motor homes for post-retirement travel. It will be just her and I, maybe a dog. We would be looking at higher end units probably in the 26-32 foot size. I may want to tow a Jeep as well. The priorities are the quality of the build, reliability and efficiency of the powerplant, comfy bedroom, nice and roomy bath. An outside awning and kitchen would be a plus. Outside TV isn’t needed or really wanted. Good storage is a plus. Thoughts?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By BM-ARM-DPMS-guns:
The wife and I are starting to look into motor homes for post-retirement travel. It will be just her and I, maybe a dog. We would be looking at higher end units probably in the 26-32 foot size. I may want to tow a Jeep as well. The priorities are the quality of the build, reliability and efficiency of the powerplant, comfy bedroom, nice and roomy bath. An outside awning and kitchen would be a plus. Outside TV isn’t needed or really wanted. Good storage is a plus. Thoughts?  Thanks.
View Quote

Have you narrowed it down to a class C or A yet? There should be plenty of good options out there. I can think of a few offhand, especially if you’re looking at As. Any of the powertrains are reliable, none will be efficient. Any ballpark budget? That will help tremendously
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By cutler25:
I know you mainly deal with MH now, but any idea on best pop-up to get today? We have a very old and cheap Jayco that we bought to try and see if we'd use it and like it and we do, so a new one is on the list now. I've been looking at the Forest River Rockwood 1940LTD mainly since I don't want a slide out. I know there aren't a whole lot of companies offering them anymore and the market seems to dominated by Forest River and its various brands. We'd haul it behind a 2020 Ford Explorer. We know a smaller trailer would be smarter, but we like being different.
View Quote

I’ve always looked at pop ups as almost interchangeable: Jayco, Rockwood, Clipper, etc… are all very similar looking and feeling to me. You may want to take a look at the Clipper TD. Just as light, but much easier to put up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:06:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JLH3] [#39]

@JLH3

View All Quotes

@lew

@JLH3

Obviously we don't get a lot of that here, but he did have it out on our elk hunt one year and it got down to single digits at night.  He said the heater kept up with it.  You have to remember that the model he had was a camper with a pop-up top which is basically vinyl.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Have you narrowed it down to a class C or A yet? There should be plenty of good options out there. I can think of a few offhand, especially if you’re looking at As. Any of the powertrains are reliable, none will be efficient. Any ballpark budget? That will help tremendously
View Quote

I haven’t chosen between A or C yet. I’d like to keep it under $150k but am flexible. At this point I mainly don’t want something huge and a bitch to park.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

There's always the vintage option...
Inside the ULTRA LUXURIOUS BlueBird Wanderlodge RV Bus Conversion
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Neat. But not for us.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#43]

I haven’t chosen between A or C yet. I’d like to keep it under $150k but am flexible. At this point I mainly don’t want something huge and a bitch to park.
View Quote

That budget opens you up to pretty much any mainstream class C and some pre owned super Cs. How tall are you? That may become a factor in class Cs as the cabin can be a little cramped. They are options for class As in your budget, I’d start with the Thor Axis/Vegas, Thor ACE/Resonate, Fleetwood Flair, Thor Hurricane/Windsport, Entegra Vision, and maybe Winnebago Vista.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the advice. I’m not tall, 6’ and the wife is about 5’8” so hopefully that’s not too big an issue. How long do class C’s get? How short do class A types get?
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for the advice. I’m not tall, 6’ and the wife is about 5’8” so hopefully that’s not too big an issue. How long do class C’s get? How short do class A types get?
View Quote

Traditional class Cs get to about 32’ long, and the shortest A is around 26’. If memory serves me, there aren’t a ton of dealers in your area.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#46]

Traditional class Cs get to about 32’ long, and the shortest A is around 26’. If memory serves me, there aren’t a ton of dealers in your area.
View Quote

The only dealer we’ve been to is in the Conway, NH area. They had about a dozen or so to choose from. Nothing really hit the spot but we weren’t really ready to pull the trigger anyway.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#47]

The only dealer we’ve been to is in the Conway, NH area. They had about a dozen or so to choose from. Nothing really hit the spot but we weren’t really ready to pull the trigger anyway.
View Quote

We usually keep 150 or so Motorhomes on the lot, which makes finding the right rig a whole lot easier. Have you considered going to the Hershey show in mid September? Any and every type of rv will be there (me too!) and it can really help. Take at least two days, it can be overwhelming.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I haven’t really considered going to the Hershey show.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#49]

Obviously we don't get a lot of that here, but he did have it out on our elk hunt one year and it got down to single digits at night.  He said the heater kept up with it.  You have to remember that the model he had was a camper with a pop-up top which is basically vinyl.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86202/IMG_2019_jpeg-2897558.JPG
View Quote

Yep. The lowest I encountered in Arizona was 15*. Not too terrible, but that was at Cochise Stronghold and was sheltered from any wind. I don't think a pop-up is going to be the best route for my purposes.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#50]

Love seeing people actually use their rigs! Always makes me a little sad when someone tells me they don’t use the rig but once or twice a year.

If I had any tech savvy I’d be happy to post pics of any model you guys can think of, I’m fortunate to have address to tons of cool rigs.
View Quote

We hardly use ours for "general recreating" lol. We use it at dog hunting tests, so we are normally boondocking with power. We do try to make a few weekend trips a year to normal type campgrounds. It's a huge game changer to have a mini house with you. I wish I had done it a long time ago.
Page / 8
Top Top