Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2013 10:55:20 PM EDT
I currently deer and turkey hunt, however I am looking to get into hunting coyote to help my landowner out on her farm. I have an ar-15 with a 3x magnifier currently. Would this be good to use? Should I consider a new rifle/caliber for this type of hunting? I really know very little about hunting coyote. I know they are in the area though seeing as we've had multiple reports of them out on the farm. Any tips or information would be excellent. If this is a dupe I am terribly sorry also.

Thank you for any help you can offer in advance.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 6:20:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 6:21:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I currently deer and turkey hunt, however I am looking to get into hunting coyote to help my landowner out on her farm. I have an ar-15 with a 3x magnifier currently. Would this be good to use? Should I consider a new rifle/caliber for this type of hunting? I really know very little about hunting coyote. I know they are in the area though seeing as we've had multiple reports of them out on the farm. Any tips or information would be excellent. If this is a dupe I am terribly sorry also.

Thank you for any help you can offer in advance.

An AR15 in .223 is a perfectly sufficient coyote gun.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 6:22:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

LMGTFY

Don't be a d*ck in the tech forums.

Link Posted: 1/29/2013 7:34:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
LMGTFY

How helpful of you....

OP, your AR is more than enough gun for the job.

If you are hunting in thick cover though and can't really see out past 50 yards you may want a shotgun with some buckshot or BBB lead, they can come in quick and it can be tough to get a scope on them.

I've had them run right in close when turkey hunting before, a little scary.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#5]
In the spirit of not being a dick, here is some good info.  I haven't done a lot of coyote hunting but I was able to build a caller and call one in using the resources on that page.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I just started this past year in Yote hunting. it's fun, and I use my AR15 with an ACOG all the time.

I learned it is not the easiest thing to do though. I tried hand calling. but there are so many ways that a hand call can make you a great hunter and so many ways a hand call can just make you "a hunter". I am still practicing, but my foxpro is really nice though. When I am feeling depressed from not getting anything, I kinda turn to it.

Foxes are easy though, I think almost any high pitch sound brings them in, and they love the Shotgun
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In the spirit of not being a dick, here is some good info.  I haven't done a lot of coyote hunting but I was able to build a caller and call one in using the resources on that page.

That is an awesome site, A lot of good info.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 11:56:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thank you for the link to this site! Do you think the 3x magnifier i have is enough magnification? Thanks for all the helpful post so far also!

Link Posted: 1/30/2013 2:08:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you for the link to this site! Do you think the 3x magnifier i have is enough magnification? Thanks for all the helpful post so far also!

I'm not a great shot, and my vision sucks, but I can put 5 shots inside 1-inch (with a capable gun/ammo combo) using 2.5X optic at 100 yards.  You should be able to put all your shots inside of a 6-inch circle at 200 yards using a 3X optic.

I'm also not a coyote hunter (although I'd love to be...) and it seems like most shots are taken inside 200 yards.  I certainly wouldn't attempt a 500 yard shot with a 3X optic.

Link Posted: 1/30/2013 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, cool. So my setup should work well then. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ok, cool. So my setup should work well then. Thanks!

What part of Ohio?  need a hunting buddy
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Right now is a good time of year to hunt coyotes, it's their breeding season. A good rule of thumb is to use mostly coyote sounds in the winter. Late summer/early fall is time to use prey noises to call in the pups that are just starting to hunt on their own, and are still relatively dumb. I like to use a mouth call and stick to a locator howl, and a few simple barks with the occasional challenge noises thrown in. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#13]
All you need is the right camo for your area, a distress call (rabbit) and a friend or two. Your AR is a great rifle for yotes. You need to learn to hunt the wind. ALWAYS hunt with the wind in your face and the area you think the yotes are in to your front. Set up with a friend on each side about 50-75yds is ideal. The reason is because they always try to get around the noise and come in downwind. The guys on the end keep them from getting downwind and busting you without ever knowing they are there. Plan each set to last about 40 mins and call steady for the first 5 mins. Then call off and on every several mins until you have hit the 40-50 min mark. Stop calling and watch for about 5 min before you get up and leave. Always be silent in and silent out of the area. Oh and ALWAYS hunt the wind!!!!!!!!!!! Did I say that already?
Good luck and hope you will come up with a pic like this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top