BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#2]
So is it really like open range or just a high fence place?
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hunter8793:
So is it really like open range or just a high fence place?
View Quote

Almost all of South Africa is high fence but some of the concessions are so large you may never see a fence once you go through the gate.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By LuckyDucky:
Pumbaa, noooooooooooooooo
View Quote

God damnit! You beat me to it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Curious how you decide what you're going to hunt for? Assuming each species has a pricetag? Or is it bundled in with the initial cost of the safari?
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 10:18:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PR361] [#6]
An outstanding adventure with your sons!

I’m jealous, on my bucket list.

Race against time now to see if I can fund it before I’m too old and broken to go….

There’s hope, my son graduated college, now if he could just get a job….

In for more  bloodshed!
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Congratulations on a great family adventure.

You gonna have that ugly MFer's head mounted to go over your mantel?
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Isn't $1500 a steal for a 4-man hunting party?

How many days? Tent or lodge?

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cwm1150:
Sounds like a great family trip. You bring your own rifles or using the guides guns?
View Quote

We brought our own.  A 300 win mag and a 338.

It was a pretty easy process. It cost $160  for a company the outfitters uses to arrange the permit.  They meet you at the airport and take care of everything.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Twisted10:
dont get chopped up into pieces
View Quote

Or
   Find yourself rotating over a fire with a carrot in your butt and an apple in your mouth.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Winning at life.  This is how it is done.

Kudos to you OP.  Enjoy your adventure with your sons
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 1:40:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: extractr] [#13]
Originally Posted By Richard-ar15:

View Quote

That includes lodging, food, and guide service for 5 days.  They also include free $500 trophy fee credit per hunter, plus a free impala. So they basically give you $2,800 back.

It doesn't include airfare. ($1,200-1,700 per person depending on which route you take), or trophy shipping back home, or trophy fees.  Each hunter is required to shoot 2 animals.   If you chose a warthog and an impala,  you could probably do the whole trip for $3,000-3,500 per person.  The price goes up from there depending on animals you shoot.  

They offer safari auctions from this company at most NRA and whitetail unlimited banquets.  The two I won, I was the only one that bid, so I got them for the reserve cost.

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By extractr:

That includes lodging, food, and guide service.  They also include free $500 trophy fee credit per hunter, plus a free impala. So they basically give you $2,800 back.

It doesn't include airfare. ($1,200-1,700 per person depending on which route you take), or trophy shipping back home, or trophy fees.  Each hunter is required to shoot 2 animals.   If you chose a warthog and an impala,  you could probably do the whole trip for $3,000-3,500 per person.  The price goes up from there depending on animals you shoot.  

They offer safari auctions from this company at most NRA and whitetail unlimited banquets.  The two I won, I was the only one that bid, so I got them for the reserve cost.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Richard-ar15:

That includes lodging, food, and guide service.  They also include free $500 trophy fee credit per hunter, plus a free impala. So they basically give you $2,800 back.

They are very active with my local Safari Club International banquets as well. I bought a package from them for a nyala hunt for 2 at one of our banquets. Between my buddy and I we took about 10 more animals in addition to the nyala, they like it when you do that as they make money off the meat and trophy fees.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Scheduled to go next year in June, I'm stoked!
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By LuckyDucky:
Pumbaa, noooooooooooooooo
View Quote
It's just the circle of life
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By smashedminer:

Or
   Find yourself rotating over a fire with a carrot in your butt and an apple in your mouth.
View Quote
Does this cost extra?
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Did it look pretty safe from the airport to the hunting ranch?
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 2:04:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: extractr] [#19]
Went out this afternoon to a different location.  Found a huge herd of red hartebeest 350 yards out on a large prarie.  The guide and my son tried the old pretend like your a gemsbok to sneak up on them.  They got to 200 yards and he was just getting ready to shoot when the heard took off.  The tracker and I tried to cut them off with the truck and force them back to them, but they ran in another direction.  We drove to try and cut them off in another part of the field, and got to about 250 yards.  We found 3 or 4 big bulls in the group, and after waiting for one to clear from the others, he shot.

The guide said he saw the vapor trail go right over it's back. They only ran a few yards so he set up again and shot.  I heard the impact and it took off.  He hit it through both front legs breaking one.

They started running but he fell behind.  My son was kind of shook at this point.  He stopped about 200 yards out and he shot again and missed.  Nerves were getting to him at this point.  He took off and got back in the herd and they were getting close to some brush.  At this point, he handed me the gun and said finish it.  I got on him and about 2 seconds later he cleared and I shot.  He took 2 steps and fell over.

It was an old bull with thick bases.  He was only planning on shooting those 2, but I may let shoot an impala too to end on a good note for him.  He usually shoots really well, but just got unsteady after the long stalk and trying to hold on an animal for 10+ minutes waiting for it to clear.

My oldest son also got a nice gemsbok bull tonight. He has the pictures on his camera.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Lots of hartebeest, wildebeest, roans, tsessebe, impala, and even about 35 cape buffalo were  out on this prarie.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By madmathew:
Did it look pretty safe from the airport to the hunting ranch?
View Quote

It was completely safe.  The PHs meet you as soon as you walk out of customs.  They load your gear into their trucks, and you drive 3 hours to the camp.  

I never felt any danger both times I have been here.

They used to go to a flea market in Johannesburg at the end of the hunt, but they don't anymore due to potential safety risks.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#21]
First blood.

My younger son got his first African animal.  A nice 187 lb warthog.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/295074/1000015780_jpg-3238809.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/295074/1000015785_jpg-3238815.JPG
View Quote
why am I thinking that would be a nice cleaned skull mount?
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Amish_Bill:
why am I thinking that would be a nice cleaned skull mount?
View Quote

That's what I did with mine from my last trip.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Old school tag.

Living the dream! Very cool.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I had big plans to do Africa when I was younger but now being in my 40's I've lost the allure for whatever reason.  I'm sure the hell that an 18 hour flight is is a contributing factor.

Hell, even deer hunting (which I was insane about) is really kind of lost some luster as well and I do that literally in my back yard!  Not sure what happened there.

Thanks for sharing your trip!  Love the pictures
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:20:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PossumKing] [#26]
Are you eating hartebeest steaks for dinner?  If so, how is it?
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#27]

That's what I did with mine from my last trip.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/295074/1000015922_jpg-3239059.JPG
View Quote

Need this

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Good 1st day.  Tomorrow we're heading to a different location to try for my desired animals, a Kudu and a mountain reedbuck.  

Food has been really good.  We had warthog bacon this morning, impala sandwiches for lunch, and gemsbok stroganoff for dinner. I don't drink, but for those that do,  they have a fully stocked fridge with 4 or 5 brands of local beer, wine, and a shelf with many liquors.   They said take whatever you want.  They also have several types of pop.

Lunch picture.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By PossumKing:
Are you eating hartebeest steaks for dinner?  If so, how is it?
View Quote

No,  we got back to camp after dinner had started and they still had 3 or 4 other animals to skin and gut before the hartebeest.

If I get my Kudu, I plan to cut out the tenderloins myself and roast them over the fire
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#30]
First blood.

My younger son got his first African animal.  A nice 187 lb warthog.

Got in about midnight last night and up at 6:00 this morning

We saw tons of animals all morning but nothing we wanted to shoot until just before lunch.  Heading back, we saw this guy and 2 females about 40 yards off the road.  They took off when we saw them so we hopped out and took off after them .  We followed them about 100 yards and saw the females start coming through a gap in the brush.  My son got set up and he stepped out about 70 yards away.  He squealed and dropped at the shot.  Using a 338 Win Mag.
The PH said it was one of the older pigs he'd seen. He estimated it was probably 8-10 years old.  It's incisors were worn down to the gums.

Now to try for Kudu this afternoon.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/295074/1000015780_jpg-3238809.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/295074/1000015785_jpg-3238815.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/295074/1000015917_jpg-3239055.JPG
View Quote

You shot Pumbaa and his family.

Are you going to eat them
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By probby19:
Curious how you decide what you're going to hunt for? Assuming each species has a pricetag? Or is it bundled in with the initial cost of the safari?
View Quote

They have a price list for animals. You basically pick how many and which ones you want.

It was interesting that my PH said today that 90% of 1st time hunters have warthog on their list and only about 20% get one.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I am happy for you and yours and a little bit jealous.

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:59:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: extractr] [#33]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

Almost all of South Africa is high fence but some of the concessions are so large you may never see a fence once you go through the gate.
View Quote

My PH said pretty much all hunting in South Africa is private land. Most are high fenced, but many animals like kudu, Leapords, warthog, and a few others can easily just go over or under the fences.  

The concession we hunted today was almost 35,000 acres. That's almost 55 square miles.  Probably a bigger area then most deer or elks' home range. Once we went through the front gate we drove for a few miles before we got to that prarie.  It went on for several more miles.  Never saw a fence.  The animals were just as skittish and hard to hunt as any non-fenced hunt I have been on.

Some people think of high fenced hunts as walking up to some animal that watches you and easily shooting it.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  We worked for every animal we got.  We had more failed stalks on animals then successful ones.  Warthog are usually the exception.   You usually happen upon them, and they give you a 2-5 second window to shoot, or they take off running with their tail held high.  My PH said we got extremely lucky stalking the one we got today.  He said it was probably the furthest he has ever stalked one through dense brush once it has already seen you and moved off.  He said 99% of the time once they see you and start running into the brush, you will never see them again.  They are one of the truly free range animals.  There are holes all over under fences where they dig through.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#34]
A dear friend of mine use to go to South Africa often to hunt. At his gun range he had an entire room with mounts. He had a hippo skull on a table. A guy walked in and saw the hippo skull and said damn that's the biggest pig head he's ever seen in his life. He asked my friend were he shot it. My buddy said right back there behind the gun range. But seriously you should have seen the look on that guy's face.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

That's the way to do it, Rifle Permits I suppose. I've done my own rifle permitting before but after using Henry I'll never do it any other way.
View Quote

Yes, I've used Henry at riflepermits.com both times.  He couldn't make it any easier.  

You can rent rifles and pay for ammo used, but it's fun to bring your own and is about the same cost or less then renting.  

If you do plan on bringing your own, they recommend a direct flight. (Delta from Atlanta or United from Newark)  There may be cheaper flights that go through UK or France, but you will be traveling 26-30+ hours, and you may run into issues with
your guns passing through those countries.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 8:09:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: extractr] [#36]
Originally Posted By Lone_Eagle:
Now just score a meerkat and have them stuffed together.

I’ve always wanted to go on one of those big game hunts, but that is on the “may never happen” list.
View Quote

We talked about doing that, but we are too far south for meerkat.  My PH said I could get a banded mongoose which looks similar.  I don't think the 300 or 338 would leave much to mount though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 8:13:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: extractr] [#37]
Originally Posted By guns762:
Congratulations!

My dad took us on a similar trip in 2004.
View Quote

@guns762

One of your students mounted my unused warthog cape from last time I was there.  

I am still trying to decide whether to do a shoulder mount on this one, or just another skull mount.

Do you tan your own hides or send them out?
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:55:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#39]
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I'll have to post the story later, but here's our day 2, and my son's gemsbok from day 1.
I got my mountain reedbuck and hit a Kudu, but we were unable to find it.  Turns out my scope got knocked off when I tripped the night before.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#41]
congrats!
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:23:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: extractr] [#43]
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:39:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: extractr] [#45]
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 4:23:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittleBigHorn] [#46]
That auction seems like an incredible value.  I'll be there next month, but it's substantially more expensive .

Not in a bad way, I'm getting a kick out of the matching safari clothing.  Great job Dad, and a missed shot is something to just rib on him at the camp fire.  No big deal, it happens to the best.

What area are you in and how are the bugs right now?  Also, what kind of times are they quoting for shipping back if you are doing any taxidermy?
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#48]

That includes lodging, food, and guide service for 5 days.  They also include free $500 trophy fee credit per hunter, plus a free impala. So they basically give you $2,800 back.

View Quote

Was at a banquet in 2008. Economy was in the toilet, the African safari for 4 went for $500.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By guns762:
Fantastic pictures!  Your son has skills!

Sorry about the Kudu.   That sucks.   You going to go after another?
View Quote

I still haven't decided,  but I think I might. My wife will probably kill me, but I'll just tell her it was cheaper doing that, than doing an entire safari again.  I have wanted a Kudu since my last time here, and I know if I go home kuduless, it will bug me forever.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By LittleBigHorn:
That auction seems like an incredible value.  I'll be there next month, but it's substantially more expensive .

Not in a bad way, I'm getting a kick out of the matching safari clothing.  Great job Dad, and a missed shot is something to just rib on him at the camp fire.  No big deal, it happens to the best.

What area are you in and how are the bugs right now?  Also, what kind of times are they quoting for shipping back if you are doing any taxidermy?
View Quote

We are about 3 hours north of Johannesburg around Thabazimbi.  It's wierd, most of the concessions we have hunted, I didn't really notice any bugs.  There was one though that was swarming with flies.

They haven't given a time frame yet.  Last time I went, it took about 4-5 months for the taxidermist to get them from the dip and pack.  

They shipped it out about 3 months after the safari, and then it sits at the import point for a month or two..

If you have a warthog,  it adds to the time and cost because they quarantine it for awhile. Also you would need to have it shipped to a USDA certified taxidermist.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top