Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2011 4:41:19 PM EDT
I've heard rumors that a lot of the kill zones depicted are not accurate? Don't know if it is true, but I could use some help.  Thanks guys
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Tips hat,  good info...  
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:51:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you-wish there were some bigger pictures.  It seems people like the head-through the spine area?
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 5:06:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Hog anatomy in GRAPHIC detail:

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 1:00:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I feel like I need more specifics.  also what about from the front, and quartering?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 7:37:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel like I need more specifics.  also what about from the front, and quartering?

The central idea is to convey this message: (When Possible), it is best to place your shot somewhere in the area from just behind the head to about the middle of the shoulder, which is the “window” you are looking for (with broadside shots or shallow angle shots).

As previously mentioned, the bulk of a hogs vitals are well forward of those of other animals more commonly hunted.  IMO, shooting behind the shoulder should be avoided with the following exceptions:

1. The neck is not visible/available for some reason and you have a quartering away shot. In this case you would want to aim… such that your bullet will exit the middle of the off side shoulder or even in front of it.

2. You are bow-hunting  and have a slightly quartering away shot (ideal since the arrow has the best chance of angling up into the vitals, while missing the tough shoulder)

3. There is NO other shot available. A shot placed just behind the shoulder will certainly kill a pig (with any reasonable caliber), but you might have a long tracking job in store.

I recommend you stay away from a “Head-Shot” unless you are supremely confident you can make it.  A MUCH larger target (and just as deadly) is the other CNS shot….the NECK. Except when a hog is facing you, facing away from you…or is at an extreme angle (well beyond quartering) the neck provides a large, reliable target.

You also have to consider whether the shot will be taken from the ground or from an elevated position.

Frontal shots can be taken and depending upon whether you are ground level or elevated, your target area (sans head shots) will be either the center of the chest (ground level). the neck, or even the front of the shoulder blades (if steeply elevated).

Going away shots….will give rise to the question, “Is it ethical”?  I will leave that up for debate,  but IF you are a good shot AND the circumstance will permit a quick follow up shot, you can place a bullet at the base of the tail and it will ‘break down’ most hogs (provided you’re using enough gun), allowing an opportunity for a finishing shot.

Quartering to you shots usually dictate shooting on the “point” of the near side shoulder… or just in front of it.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 7:49:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 7:51:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#10]
The above is pretty good advice, I would add the caveat that with smaller/weaker caliber/bullet combinations penetration can be a real issue on big hogs.  I've seen 4+ inches of shield on some whoppers 350# and up, and I've seen this shield stop a 243Win 100grn core lokt without sufficient penetration.  A core lokt is a tough bullet.  I've also seen a 130gr Nosler Ballistic Tip in 270Win defeated by the shield.  Of course a NBT isn't a tough bullet.

None of this really applies on your run of the mill small to medium hogs.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The above is pretty good advice, I would add the caveat that with smaller/weaker caliber/bullet combinations penetration can be a real issue on big hogs.  I've seen 4+ inches of shield on some whoppers 350# and up, and I've seen this shield stop a 243Win 100grn core lokt without sufficient penetration.  A core lokt is a tough bullet.  I've also seen a 130gr Nosler Ballistic Tip in 270Win defeated by the shield.  Of course a NBT isn't a tough bullet.

I've killed the shit out of hogs with a 55gr .220 swift but I mostly shoot them in the neck.

The neck shot rules all.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I was walking away from my deer stand on the evening of opening day this year and a boar jumped out of the brush in front of me.  It was dark and he ran out about 20 yards away from me.  He was quartered toward me and running.  I shot him in the shoulder with a .243 with that same 100 gr core lokt bullet (which I'm not a big fan off, by the way).  The hog ran about 40 yards and then face planted in the dirt.  The bullet did NOT exit out the other side of the boar.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The central idea is to convey this message: (When Possible), it is best to place your shot somewhere in the area from just behind the head to about the middle of the shoulder, which is the “window” you are looking for (with broadside shots or shallow angle shots).

As previously mentioned, the bulk of a hogs vitals are well forward of those of other animals more commonly hunted.  IMO, shooting behind the shoulder should be avoided with the following exceptions:

1. The neck is not visible/available for some reason and you have a quartering away shot. In this case you would want to aim… such that your bullet will exit the middle of the off side shoulder or even in front of it.

2. You are bow-hunting  and have a slightly quartering away shot (ideal since the arrow has the best chance of angling up into the vitals, while missing the tough shoulder)

3. There is NO other shot available. A shot placed just behind the shoulder will certainly kill a pig (with any reasonable caliber), but you might have a long tracking job in store.

I recommend you stay away from a “Head-Shot” unless you are supremely confident you can make it.  A MUCH larger target (and just as deadly) is the other CNS shot….the NECK. Except when a hog is facing you, facing away from you…or is at an extreme angle (well beyond quartering) the neck provides a large, reliable target.

You also have to consider whether the shot will be taken from the ground or from an elevated position.

Frontal shots can be taken and depending upon whether you are ground level or elevated, your target area (sans head shots) will be either the center of the chest (ground level). the neck, or even the front of the shoulder blades (if steeply elevated).

Going away shots….will give rise to the question, “Is it ethical”?  I will leave that up for debate,  but IF you are a good shot AND the circumstance will permit a quick follow up shot, you can place a bullet at the base of the tail and it will ‘break down’ most hogs (provided you’re using enough gun), allowing an opportunity for a finishing shot.

Quartering to you shots usually dictate shooting on the “point” of the near side shoulder… or just in front of it.

Pretty much this word for word.

another +1

This picture shows the money shot.  BTW this ow was killed at just under 300 yards, at night, and was slightly quartering toward me.  It went about 10 feet, and was dead.  the neck shot does indeed rule.

Also, 6.8 SPCII with 95 Barnes TTSX FTMFW

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 4:30:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I wish there were some larger moredetailed pics that could be printed for target practice...
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 6:49:10 AM EDT
[#16]
this shot right behind the ear seemed to work out just fine on this 150 sow, she never took another step.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 6:58:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've heard rumors that a lot of the kill zones depicted are not accurate? Don't know if it is true, but I could use some help.  Thanks guys

A pigs vitals are a lot further forward than a deer.

Anything too much back past the crease of the shoulder is the liver. I mean like an inch or 2.

Pigs don't have huge lungs that extend way back like a deer. You can shoot a deer pretty far back and still get both lungs.Not so on a hog.

makes cents, deer gets more exercise than a hog...
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#18]

[/quote]

I shot a hog about the same size at 200 yds with a 223 55gr vmax. That is the sweet spot.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 6:47:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel like I need more specifics. also what about from the front, and quartering?
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   alot depends apone the calbur, spelling is bad, my apolagies...  shot placement will make difference...  would agree that lungs' on hogs may be smaller than a deer, for simple reason deer is built more for running.. just my guess...
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#20]
#1. Front of sholder
#2. Behind the ear
#3. Quartering heart shot (I rarely take this shot)
#4. Texas heart shot (right were the tail starts) this is my second most used shot after I have
made #1 or #2 and the rest of the living are leaving.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 2:44:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I forked a hog in front of a feedbunk just like that when I was in highschool.  Arrow passed partway through and broke my awesome 80's technology Bear Super Razorhead on the concrete trough.  

It was about a 50 or 60 pound sow, and although she went less than 100 yards, I didn't find her until daylight the next morning.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I wish there were some larger moredetailed pics that could be printed for target practice...

You are talking my language!  I searched archives and found my posts:

I made lifesized cardboard hogs like a maniac to practice on.  hogs drawn up are 20"  high,  30" long and anatomically correct.  2 boars and a sow.  left off cutters because too hard to spot shots from distance.   I still have these and have taped up a buncha times.

Was my first time hunting ever when I made these 21 months ago.  

This boar below stood in my living room and stared at me for a couple of months and talked shit to me.  

Am I crazy?  You could make a reasonable case for that.  If I am crazy I make crazy work for me.  See my avatar.  

I blew up and printed the boar on 8.5x11 paper and took out most of black to shoot at.  was still hard to spot shots at distance.  

Link Posted: 1/14/2012 9:04:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I shot four last weekend with my bigger guns: one with .243 and 3 with .308  Normal gun is .223

Was an awsome time hunting: Working on editing pics and video and hope to get posted soon

The shot I always take if I have time is basically making a right angle with the base of the ear and the eye.  Shot over 300 and never had one hit there that was not DRT.  Running goes to center mass: Middle of shoulder.

Things got interesting when the last three came out at dusk and I shot the first one on the clearing at about 175 yards, the other two took off down the road.  The second was hit in the back of the head at 225 yards ( I was about 35 feet up)  The third was on a full run right at 300 and my mental ballistic calculator must have been off, bc I hit him in the top of the butt.  Mind you my .308 soft point bullet exited his throat and he was DRT.  I love hearing about these bullet "proof pigs"  Never met one that the 55 gr FMJ would not put down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top