Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2013 2:38:49 PM EDT
Is there a preferred length of blade for a "hog knife"?  I can see where a long blade knife might occasionally come in handy when dealing with hogs and obviously a long blade is preferred but what length is considered a good average?  I've seen hunters carrying knives with blades that have to be around a foot long and others in the 7" to 8" range, which is considered a good overall length?
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen a lot of guys use long narrow blades, because it enables you to reach the heart easier.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I was thinking one of the older style bayonets.  My uncle had one he brought back from WWII that would have been perfect, I have no idea what it was though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#3]
One guy I knew used an old file that was sharpened and had a custom handle. It was about 12-14" long and very narrow.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen quite a few knives made from files...what about them makes them so good for knife making?
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 3:38:20 AM EDT
[#5]
My daughter and youngest son used a Cold steel knife, It was 7-8 inchs long and both sides were sharp. Makes it a lot easier to get into the hog. My other boy used a knife I had made in New Zealand when I was living there. About 7 inchs. You want a good sharp point to get u get into the hog. Not a big wide knife. Lots of people use kbar style knifes. But my kids were young so the double edge helped them get the knife into were it needed to be.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 3:42:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is the knife the younger kids used link  I liked it had a rubber handle and the grove for there finger on the blade. Blood can make ur wood or fancy handles slick. Guess some guy used it on a cape buffalo as well.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 3:42:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've seen quite a few knives made from files...what about them makes them so good for knife making?
View Quote

The shape and hardness of steel, I believe. Unless properly heat-treated, they will be very stiff and break before they flex. This isn't a big issue with a knife used for stabbing a pig.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 1:48:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Here is the knife the younger kids used link  I liked it had a rubber handle and the grove for there finger on the blade. Blood can make ur wood or fancy handles slick. Guess some guy used it on a cape buffalo as well.
View Quote

That was the knife I had considered if I buy one.  Currently I have my Ka-Bar, which is a great knife and has a nice sticky grip but I thought a longer blade would be better.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The shape and hardness of steel, I believe. Unless properly heat-treated, they will be very stiff and break before they flex. This isn't a big issue with a knife used for stabbing a pig.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would make a neat knife for sure.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#10]
$20 dollar winchester at academy and wal mart works great. And if you loose it which I have its no big deal
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#11]
How bout this for a Pig Sticker???  Just have to sharpen up the false edge and she's ready to go.  

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Fall knives MC1?

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Now that I think of it, a bayonet would work pretty well. If the K31s are still cheap, snag one of 'em. I really like mine!
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How bout this for a Pig Sticker???  Just have to sharpen up the false edge and she's ready to go.  

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/Chuck_Richards/Knife%20Projects/museumbowie002corrected_zpsfc25fc57.jpg

View Quote

That would work for sure.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Not enough finger guard for my taste,  rubber grippy grips are great but a big hand/finger guard is more important to me.  I've been cut badly before and once was enough, I'm far more cautious than most people now.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Now that I think of it, a bayonet would work pretty well. If the K31s are still cheap, snag one of 'em. I really like mine!
View Quote

That's the one I was trying to think of! Seems like a great pig sticker knife to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top