Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Shot placement and HP ammo. two great ideas to stick with. Headshots are preferred method.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:24:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: number40Fan] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ztug:
Last night I killed four pigs.....
With my Mustang Mach-E!
Damn things ran out in front of me on US441.
The insurance adjuster has not been out yet to tell me what the damage is but it's going to be thousands.

https://i.imgur.com/8FhVr0o.jpeg
View Quote

That's totaled.

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ltcdwb:
A couple years ago we bought some acreage in central Teas.  We set up a series of game cameras to see what was there.  We got some pictures of a couple of hogs.  Nothing to get excirted about, we figured they were around.  Now we have things set up so we can stay out there a day or two.  It isn't unusual to see hogs come to the pond.  Seems to be around 9:00 in the morning and 6:00 in the evening.  I have had a couple of opportunities to get a couple of shots off using a 300 BLK.  The distance is around 125 yards.  My rifle is zeroed at 100 yards.  The issue I'm seeing is the hogs react as if they have been hit but run off.  I don't find a blood trail, nor do we find any dead hogs when we drive around the property.  

I plan to switch over to a 6.8 SPC rifle I have.  My question is whether anyone has seen similar results with the 300 BLK, and how well does the 6.8 SPC perform?
View Quote

Dunno about 6.8spc but if you need help one night I'll let you use my extra AR10.  I'll even bring a pack of Shiner
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve always shot right behind the ear. I’d say 95% of pigs I’ve killed was with a 5.56 or a .22 LR (in a trap).

My favorite kill was 200 yds off my knee with an Eotech atop my Bushmaster and a 55gr FMJ right through the ear. It was luck
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Hogs are tough. If you’re shooting one to keep you can’t shoot it like a deer or any other animal. You want to hit either right in front of the ear or right behind it. I typically used green tips but wasn’t shooting for meat. Except for running suppressed, 6.8 is better than a 300 in every way for medium game.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:
I've done very well with Texas Hogs using a 7.62x39 AR loaded with Win or Federal Soft points.

It is much ligher & easier to carry than a full on 7.62x51 NATO AR-10.

some folks shoot the subsonic .300 and don't get good terminal results - Hogs are TOUGH!

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

I second that 7.62x39 AR.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Supersonic or Subsonic?

Subs are basically a .32 ACP at 25 yards in terms of energy at that distance. Pointless and cruel. If Supers, move to something like .308.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:23:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you guys eating/harvesting these wild hogs for eating? Always was curious if they are good to eat? Can you tell the difference between a wild hog chop and one from Costco?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Stazi:
Are you guys eating/harvesting these wild hogs for eating? Always was curious if they are good to eat? Can you tell the difference between a wild hog chop and one from Costco?
View Quote

We definitely eat them. A lot go to the deer processor to be turned into sausage. We smoke the quarters usually. They are good to eat but definitely leaner than store bought.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Smurgeon:

Dunno about 6.8spc but if you need help one night I'll let you use my extra AR10.  I'll even bring a pack of Shiner
View Quote

This is the kind of people you need around
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#11]
you need a bigger gun, a 300 blk is not ideal for hogs, 243...308...30-30..260..6.5 creed   anything is better than a 300blk
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:29:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By LoudLyle:

We definitely eat them. A lot go to the deer processor to be turned into sausage. We smoke the quarters usually. They are good to eat but definitely leaner than store bought.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LoudLyle:

Cool. Wish MI had some.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#13]
With my Mustang Mach-E!
Damn things ran out in front of me on US441.
The insurance adjuster has not been out yet to tell me what the damage is but it's going to be thousands.

https://i.imgur.com/QH2suUV.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/8FhVr0o.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/Oe71D6L.jpeg
View Quote

Now that’s too expensive of a way to kill pigs.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 9:32:44 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

The wild pig will have a darker meat and a gammy flavor. If you trap them young and feed them out they will have a sweet flavor or if they have been eating primarily corn. A bar pig is the best eating.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#15]
With my Mustang Mach-E
View Quote

The world is better off without another fake mustang.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 8:28:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ltcdwb] [#16]
UPDATE - I purchased a Bear Creek Arsenal 7.62x39 AR15 upper.  When it came in, I put it on a Colt complete lower I had.  While I was at it, I put in a POF straight trigger and mounted a Gieselle 1-6 scope.  I bore sighted it at 50 yds.  We went out to our property Tuesday evening but did not see any hogs.

Wednesday morning, we are sitting at the table drinking coffee and my wife sees about six little piglets go by our motorhome.  I picked up the "Colt AK" and headed out the door.  The piglets had moved down the bank of the dry pond.  I approached them from behind.  As I got closer, I saw the six piglets and three adult hogs.  I took careful aim at the hog farthest to the right.   My point of aim was at the base of the ear.  Squeezed off the first round and instantly the hogs went into panic mode.  The one I shot at dropped and was kicking.  

I took aim at a second adult that was running from left to right. And I remembered what one poster had mentioned to lead the hog by aiming at its snout.  I squeezed off a second round and that hog also dropped.  It immediately started squealing and kicking its legs.  I took aim and shot it a second time, this time aiming at the chest.  It was lying on its left side with its underside facing me.  Again, the hog squealed and was flailing its legs.  

The third adult hog and the piglets had vanished by this time, so I looked back at the first hog I shot.  It was flailing its legs, so I shot at it again twice, aiming in the thorax area.  To my amazement hog #2 managed to get to its feet and started running.  It was back tracking heading to the woods they came from.  I happened to be standing on that path. The hog was running straight at me.

I raised my rifle, took careful aim at the hog running at me, squeezed the trigger only to realize the mag was empty.  In the next instant I realized my 9MM was still by the bed.  I thought it would have been nice to finish that cup of coffee.  

The hog veered to my right about ten yards away from me.  I was frozen, not knowing what would happen.  The hog was still squealing like crazy as it disappeared into the woods.

I looked back at the first hog, and it was motionless.  I went back in and finished my coffee.

Turns out it was a Sow.  Stopped the hog production line from that one.

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Well done OP!!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I should have mentioned I was shooting Hornady 123GR SST.  My mag is a 10 round Duramag,  I forgot I had test fired the rifle using four of the ten rounds.  I now have a fully loaded 30 round Duramag ready with the rifle. Not gonna get caught flat footed again.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice shooting!

I went hog hunting for the first time last week.  Got one with my 300blk and barnes 110's.  Not idea where it hit but she dropped like a bolt of lightning hit her.

Got 2 more with my 45-70 lever gun.  One I hit real poorly breaking both back femurs while she was running further out than I thought.  She wasn't going anywhere with that damage though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:33:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VaFish] [#20]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

I’m betting your hitting them a little bit further back than you need to. Try to crowd the shoulders more and catch the bottom of the spine. High shoulder shot is a really high percentage kill shot. If they are running aim for the eye ear area and that should still get a few down.
View Quote

I'm going to second this.   Coming from deer hunting if you try to make the same shot as you would on a deer for a heart/lung hit you are in the guts of a hog and they will run a long ways.   Aim for the shoulder or even in front of the shoulder.

And they always show up when you aren't ready for them.  

First night down at my cousins my two boys headed off to some feeders the hogs had been coming in to regularly.  I figured I'd just drive over to another property we can hunt on and see where the hogs were coming in.  Just a quick trip before dinner.   Had my Sig M18 on my hip. Saw some hogs, then lost them in a mesquite thicket, moved the truck about 300 yards and saw this come by me about 30 yards away.

After that a rifle was always in the truck.

We came back the next night and lit into them with 6 shooters.  Missed way more than we hit or recovered.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:17:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#21]
Originally Posted By icecold1:
you need a bigger gun, a 300 blk is not ideal for hogs, 243...308...30-30..260..6.5 creed   anything is better than a 300blk
View Quote

With proper projectiles (supers), care to stay within the round’s range envelope, and good shot placement, hogs go down right THERE with 300 BLK.

Neck shot. Hog was facing toward me head down. Projectile went in and down into the body. .311 123 Grain Gold Dot sized down to .309 over 18.x gr of H110. DRT. No kicking no squealing.

This one was head down, but facing right (I circled to take the pic), same load. This one was through and through. Broke its spine. It did kick and squeal, but it was unable to go anywhere.

I’ve killed plenty of hogs with .223/5.56. With good shot placement, they go down right where you hit them.

Having said that, 6.8 SPCII/6.5G/6mm ARC/300 HAMR/308/243 are all hotter rounds and the higher amount of energy delivered will allow the shooter to get away with less ideal shot placement.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Shot placement is king. 300BLK is plenty.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Cool. Wish MI had some.
View Quote

Rooting out wild pig’s impact in Michigan
By Kurt Williams | April 15, 2020

A “pig bomb” went off at the turn of the century, flinging wild hogs north from their southern stronghold.

Jack Mayer resorts to such pyroclastic porcine imagery when describing the transcontinental spread of wild pigs across the United States.

He’s one of the foremost experts in the subject, having spent nearly 50 years studying wild pigs from his home base at the Savannah River National Laboratory in Aiken, South Carolina.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#24]
It’s odd I’ve had 300blk make them DRT and sometimes it’s has taken 3 or so shots to get it done.

I got more regular results with my 6.5 but it’s 700fps faster and rides a 18” barrel whereas the Blk is an 8.5” which makes it much better for rising in a truck and wearing a suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#25]
We recently had our pond re-worked and it is in the process of filling up.  We hopped in the UTV and went over to check the water level.  We happened to see a group of hogs.  Luckily, I had brought along the trusty Colt AK.  we stopped and I grabbed the rifle and shooter's tripod.  I made sure to keep a tree between myself and the hogs.  I was on higher ground and was able to get within about 100 yards without disturbing the hogs.  I got set up and took aim at the largest hog in the group.  I pressed the trigger and hog #1 was DRT.  I shifted the rifle and took aim on one of the small hogs that had not ran off.  Pressed the trigger a second time and hog #2 was also DRT.

I really like the 300 BLK and also the 6.8 SPCII.  I have had success with both hunting whitetail deer.  But this Colt AK in 7.63x39 is really growing on me.  It aint fancy, but it hits where I point it and the hogs seem to go down hard.  I am convinced this is my "Ranch Rifle."

Hog #1

Hog #2

Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#26]
We recently had our pond re-worked and it is in the process of filling up.  We hopped in the UTV and went over to check the water level.  We happened to see a group of hogs.  Luckily, I had brought along the trusty Colt AK.  we stopped and I grabbed the rifle and shooter's tripod.  I made sure to keep a tree between myself and the hogs.  I was on higher ground and was able to get within about 100 yards without disturbing the hogs.  I got set up and took aim at the largest hog in the group.  I pressed the trigger and hog #1 was DRT.  I shifted the rifle and took aim on one of the small hogs that had not ran off.  Pressed the trigger a second time and hog #2 was also DRT.

I really like the 300 BLK and also the 6.8 SPCII.  I have had success with both hunting whitetail deer.  But this Colt AK in 7.63x39 is really growing on me.  It aint fancy, but it hits where I point it and the hogs seem to go down hard.  I am convinced this is my "Ranch Rifle."

Hog #1
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43677/Hog_D2-2428447.jpg

Hog #2
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43677/Hog_D3-2428453.jpg

View Quote

Good shooting. Coyotes should be proud of you.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice OP! Good shooting.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#28]
UPDATE - I purchased a Bear Creek Arsenal 7.62x39 AR15 upper.  When it came in, I put it on a Colt complete lower I had.  While I was at it, I put in a POF straight trigger and mounted a Gieselle 1-6 scope.  I bore sighted it at 50 yds.  We went out to our property Tuesday evening but did not see any hogs.

Wednesday morning, we are sitting at the table drinking coffee and my wife sees about six little piglets go by our motorhome.  I picked up the "Colt AK" and headed out the door.  The piglets had moved down the bank of the dry pond.  I approached them from behind.  As I got closer, I saw the six piglets and three adult hogs.  I took careful aim at the hog farthest to the right.   My point of aim was at the base of the ear.  Squeezed off the first round and instantly the hogs went into panic mode.  The one I shot at dropped and was kicking.  

I took aim at a second adult that was running from left to right. And I remembered what one poster had mentioned to lead the hog by aiming at its snout.  I squeezed off a second round and that hog also dropped.  It immediately started squealing and kicking its legs.  I took aim and shot it a second time, this time aiming at the chest.  It was lying on its left side with its underside facing me.  Again, the hog squealed and was flailing its legs.  

The third adult hog and the piglets had vanished by this time, so I looked back at the first hog I shot.  It was flailing its legs, so I shot at it again twice, aiming in the thorax area.  To my amazement hog #2 managed to get to its feet and started running.  It was back tracking heading to the woods they came from.  I happened to be standing on that path. The hog was running straight at me.

I raised my rifle, took careful aim at the hog running at me, squeezed the trigger only to realize the mag was empty.  In the next instant I realized my 9MM was still by the bed.  I thought it would have been nice to finish that cup of coffee.  

The hog veered to my right about ten yards away from me.  I was frozen, not knowing what would happen.  The hog was still squealing like crazy as it disappeared into the woods.

I looked back at the first hog, and it was motionless.  I went back in and finished my coffee.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43677/DRT-2365374.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43677/HEAD_SHOT-2365376.jpg

Turns out it was a Sow.  Stopped the hog production line from that one.

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
In Florida feral hogs are not considered game animals.  My understanding is that when they wander onto your property you can consider them yours and kill or trap them.
View Quote

Same here. Kill them all or you’ll regret it. Friend of mine has caught hundreds on his property.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top