Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2015 3:55:09 PM EDT
I've decided that if I get a precision bolt gun I am not going American or custom and instead getting a European factory rifle.

Why is the folding stock for the TRG22 a $2000 premium?

In addition, how does the AT compare against the old AE and AW?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't answer your questions, but of the options you're considering you can't go wrong.
I am curious why you wouldn't consider a high-end American made rifle however.  Not trying to start a pissin' match, just curious.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#2]
The AT is an upgraded version of the AW with a price point closer to the old AE.  I would choose the AI AT over the TRG based on the quick change barrel system alone.  I have owned the AE and I now own an AT.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I was in the same boat.....I went with the SAKO TRG22 which I regret for several reasons.

The threading on the barrel is odd.....and I had to get a thread adapter and odd ball thread for metric for it.

Magazines are stupid expensive......

any accessories is stupid expensive....

In the end....the AI is more affordable and the conversion to other calibers is a great feature.

I ended up with the SAKO because I got a demo model for about 1400.....but if I was to start all over..I would do the AI
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 11:44:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Jozsi, I think that's a fair appraisal of some of the TRG's failings,
to which I would add that the standard non-folding stock is quite
prone to minor damage. They can take abuse without compromising
accuracy, but they do show considerable surface damage easily. Nicks,
dents, and chips are common - for an expensive combat bred
rifle they need to do better.  My TRG22 looks much older than its
actual age.

Despite all the downs, it is one extremely accurate and dependable
rifle with a supremely comfortable grip and thumbrest that enables
the shooter to build muscle memory through consistency.

Why is the folder so much more? Two reasons: It is a low production
volume item and Sako has no wanting for customers.

These are the little things that a potential buyer needs to be
aware of.

Ted
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#5]
If it makes any difference.... I had the same exact situation and bought the AI AT as my first bolt action precision rifle.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the AE and its shoots bug holes. Its built like a tank even with the folding stock. I like the look of the TRG and will own one someday but the AI is world class.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I got the TRG with the fixed stock and used KRG for the best rock solid folding stock I have ever had the pleasure to touch - really happy with it.

http://www.kineticresearchgroup.com/products/fstrg.php picture from their website

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:07:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brutus2] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jozsi:
I was in the same boat.....I went with the SAKO TRG22 which I regret for several reasons.

The threading on the barrel is odd.....and I had to get a thread adapter and odd ball thread for metric for it.

In the end....the AI is more affordable and the conversion to other calibers is a great feature.

I ended up with the SAKO because I got a demo model for about 1400.....but if I was to start all over..I would do the AI
View Quote

These are the reasons I decided on a Tikka CTR in .308.  
1. For a low entry cost ($900 shipped) I get an accurate moa or better guaranteed rifle.
2. I can replace the factory stock at my leisure and convert to more affordable and available magazines while upgrading the rifle overall to include accuracy
3. The barrel is threaded 5/8x24.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Brutus2:

1. For a low entry cost ($900 shipped) I get an accurate moa or better guaranteed rifle.
2. I can replace the factory stock at my leisure and convert to more affordable and available magazines while upgrading the rifle overall to include accuracy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brutus2:
Originally Posted By Jozsi:

Brutus, your advice is spot on and will result in a rifle ready for
serious work at a bargain price. Your suggestion is one that is
worth taking seriously.

Ted
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I went with the TRG based on ergonomics. I don't think you could go wrong with either, I just don't like the AI stocks.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#11]
The AI line is mostly pistol grip these days and you can change the skins to the thumb hole if you want.  The Sako can't be re configured like the AI.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:51:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: matt33] [#13]
OP,
I was in the same boat as you in 2011.  Luckily, EuroOptic near Williamsport PA is one of the largest AI and Sako TRG dealers in the country.  I drove there and handled both rifles before I decided to go with the Sako TRG-22.  I encourage you to do the same.  The TRG is noticeably lighter in weight and at that time, EO had the TRG I wanted for $2,500 out the door.  The AI was about $1k more when I bought my TRG.  However, as others have said, the price gap closes once you factor in Sako's much more expensive accessories.  It's also easier to re-barrel the AI, so if you plan to switch to a 6.5mm that's another pro for the AI.  If I had to go back in time, I might have picked AI, but in reality there is no wrong answer.

One thing I can assure you is that the Sako TRG-22 is one of the most accurate rifles you will ever shoot.

I believe the upper left target was the first 5 round 100 yard group I ever shot with my TRG:
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:53:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mathecb] [#14]
The TRG is the most accurate rifle I own. My first 5 shot group was the same as above with factory ammo, just a ragged hole.

Sako TRG-22 by wareagle700, on Flickr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top