Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2016 1:55:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: borderpatrol]
www. accurateshooter.com

Information posted yesterday on this website's "bulletin" page.

Barrels up to 20" in length.

Harris style bipods allowed.

Scopes allowed up to 12X.

14 pound weight limit.

4.5 pound minimum trigger weight.

300, 500 and 600 yards using NRA bullseye targets.

Rear tactical style support allowed provided it's not attached to the rifle, (i.e. a roll, back pack, or bag provided it doesn't have ears).

I think this will create a lot of interest for new shooters and older guys (like me) who's eyesight won't allow the use of iron sights to great effect any longer.

Anyone interested?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:01:14 PM EDT
[#1]
More comps like this the better.

I'm in.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I would like to try this.   I used to shoot high power but have lost interest in 20 inch a2 stocked ar's.  This will let me shoot the spr I've built and have a little more fun with it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I will drive up to 100 miles each way to shoot in a match like that. Maybe 150 miles as I used to do shooting in Waco, driving from DFW.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#4]
This looks fun. Anyone else wonder why the trigger weight is 4.5lbs on what appears to be an SPRish rifle class?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Isn't the "X" count gonna be crazy?

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#6]
So service rifle for People who can't use a sling or shoot from their hind legs?

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Fincho:
So service rifle for People who can't use a sling or shoot from their hind legs?

View Quote
so why not ?  not to be a smart ass but I believe the nra is trying to get as many people involved in the shooting sports and we who already participate should be encouraging people to shoot . I like shooting uspa matches and think the cowboy matches are silly but I would still lend a hand as a rso if ask .
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AWDeity:
This looks fun. Anyone else wonder why the trigger weight is 4.5lbs on what appears to be an SPRish rifle class?
View Quote

Military requirement - safety issue. The NRA follows the DCM/CMP rules for the most part for ease of transition when shooting both disciplines.

M1-A's and M1 Garand triggers can not be safely made to shoot with less than 4.5 lbs. of trigger pull weight. They still want those rifles to be competitive as "service rifles" so they require all rifles to make that weight to insure fairness on the line. Otherwise the older rifles would be "for fun use" only.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jwb47:
so why not ?  not to be a smart ass but I believe the nra is trying to get as many people involved in the shooting sports and we who already participate should be encouraging people to shoot . I like shooting uspa matches and think the cowboy matches are silly but I would still lend a hand as a rso if ask .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jwb47:
Originally Posted By Fincho:

They are hoping and encouraging that younger people come out and play! They also hoping older people who are losing their eyesight will shoot decent scores scoped. It's a win/win. My eyesight has gotten so bad I can't see the bullseye or my front sight. I have to use glasses to see one or the other, never the twain shall meet. This rule change will help me show up again.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#10]
They are hoping and encouraging that younger people come out and play! They also hoping older people who are losing their eyesight will shoot decent scores scoped. It's a win/win. My eyesight has gotten so bad I can't see the bullseye or my front sight. I have to use glasses to see one or the other, never the twain shall meet. This rule change will help me show up again.

I agree.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Can someone post a link to this? I have searched the AS site and cannot find any reference to it...I have googled it and nada...buttkiss...nuttin'
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like a lot of fun.  I will be interested in seeing how this evolves.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 5:18:43 PM EDT
[#13]
This interests me greatly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:07:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Beach:
Can someone post a link to this? I have searched the AS site and cannot find any reference to it...I have googled it and nada...buttkiss...nuttin'
View Quote

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/ar15/

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/new-mid-range-game-for-ars-in-2016.3894053/
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#15]
This sounds great for the new(ish) AR shooter who wants something beyond the static 100 yard range and without getting into 3-Gun ($$$). I would encourage this in So FL.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 9:50:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#16]
The NRA has created a new mid-range, target-shooting discipline for AR owners. The provisional rules for the new AR Mid-Range Prone Competition will allow calibers from .22 up to .308. Rifle weight will be limited to 14 pounds. Competitors may use Harris (or similar) compact, “tactical” bipods, and optics up to 12-power will be allowed (but iron sights can also be used). The goal of this new competition is to get the many AR owners to the range to compete.

The NRA’s Information Sheet for the new mid-range discipline explains: “These rifles are of the ‘AR-Platform’ variety, semi-automatic, chambered in any caliber from .223 cal./5.56mm. up to and including .308 cal./7.62mm. The courses of fire will be the same courses of fire currently used for other NRA Mid-Range (Prone) High Power Competition (300, 500, and 600 yards) and are designed to be fired concurrently with other forms of Mid-Range competition. The targets will be the same targets that are used for Service Rifle, Match Rifle, and Palma Rifle Mid-Range Prone competition. Mid-range telescopic sights will be allowed, but not required. Because this is prone competition, shooters may use tactical front rests such as Harris-type bipods and limited rear rests of the type one might find used in military or police tactical situations.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#17]
So is this basically gonna be an NRA subcategory of F-Class? Like F-TR, but with further limitations?
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By feudist:
Isn't the "X" count gonna be crazy?

View Quote

Maybe, but everyone doesn't have a rifle that shoots good at those ranges. Like pulling targets for a newbie at a high power match. You get a work out moving the spotter around on those 600 yard targets. It was always glorious to be puling targets for a competent shooter. Just move the spotter disc a few inches each for each shot. Sometimes the spotter disc would get shot.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#19]
If only we could do this in NOVA by NRA headquarters.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 3:30:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ghostface] [#20]
How do you find out where and when these matches will be held?

I see this is just at camp perry...
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#21]
This sounds like a fun competition that would let a lot of entry level shooters like myself get involved with an ar15 we built at home. I have 1 scoped ar15 that I just built that would be perfect for something like this.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Beach:
View Quote

Link
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
So is this basically gonna be an NRA subcategory of F-Class? Like F-TR, but with further limitations?
View Quote

No. The scoped class will compete side by side with iron sight service rifles and shooting at the standard size high power targets. F-Class uses blue bullseye's that are half the diameter of standard NRA targets.

There will no longer be a separate class for irons and scoped rifles.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Ghostface:
How do you find out where and when these matches will be held?

I see this is just at camp perry...
View Quote

The rules are nationwide. Every NRA match will include the option of shooting scoped provided all other rules are complied with.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Safety?  Easy to accidentally bump fire with a superlight trigger.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By RANGER_556:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RANGER_556:

I thought this was single-load slow fire? I see it as continuity from other disciplines.

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I personally think this is a good idea.

Just about every shooter I know has as an AR type rifle in the safe, and now they can shoot it in a NRA style match.

My club in Fl has already incorporated this class in our monthly hi power matches. Our matches go out to 600yds with pit service.

I think it is a good gateway to trying out the other high power disciplines(XTC, F-class, Match rifle etc).

We only have 2 or 3 shooters currently doing it, but I will try it out myself soon.

I spend most of my time shooting F/TR(HM) and this would be a nice change of pace to something other than F-class.

SY
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top