Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2016 11:35:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RANGER_556]
I've been thinking about when my barrel burns out on my AR10 switching to something new. 260rem maybe.

Another thread got me thinking about my AR15 as well (currently a 223 wylde).  What small action rounds could I swap too?  The 6.5 Grendel is probably a front runner, but that requires a longer barrel really. So this other thread showcased a new wildcat. Pretty cool.

Here is a post from the pic thread:

Originally Posted By cb61:
Here's a picture of the steps for the case. Far left is .223 Rem next to 6.8 SPC case. Third from left is after being necked down and shoulder moving forward and last is after final fireforming. After I get a hydroform die from Hornady it will no longer be necessary to fire the round to complete the case. The bullets on right are Hornady 55gr bt used for fireforming with 30 gr of H335. Once formed you can shoot full power loads with Hornady 75gr HPBTM of 90gr SMK. The 75gr uses 32gr of BLC-2 seated to 2.275" and can go to 33gr before any signs of pressure. The 82gr Berger's run great at 30.9gr of BLC-2 and the 90gr SMK work best at 28.0-29.2gr of Varget. All loads can go approx 1gr more but they don't shoot well at max pressure of 55,000psi. The 90gr SMK will start to show signs of pressure and errant shot groups at 29.5gr of Varget. This round was developed by Josh Kunz, owner of Patriot Valley Arms and F Class competitor when has developed his own line of bullets called Flat Line Bullets.

http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5514-bolt-action-rifles/13997853-patriot-valley-arms-best-kept-secret-in-the-east

<a href="http://s837.photobucket.com/user/burn-zee/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-04/65846DA2-1C2B-41A7-97BA-50EB08B7C03E_zps4ztlrvnl.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz298/burn-zee/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-04/65846DA2-1C2B-41A7-97BA-50EB08B7C03E_zps4ztlrvnl.jpg</a>
View Quote

View Quote

So what other good non traditional rounds are good for precision gas guns?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#1]
6mm Dasher?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#2]
For the AR15, the 6.5 Grendel will make you almost forget that you tried shooting distance before with .223, and it is the only 6.5mm cartridge specifically meant to work in the AR15 gas system when looking at factory ammo and brass options. You do not need a heavy, long barrel to realize the long range or superb accuracy of the 6.5 Grendel, my 17.6" Lilja Grendel or 16" AA Grendel being easy examples.  Both are ELR capable with factory ammo.  Just plug in the distance, atmospherics, dial up, make your wind call, and let fly, then watch in amazement as the bullet hits.

For the AR10, I like .260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor.  The new Winchester factory load in the 6.5 Creedmoor has very tough brass compared to the Hornady.  Barrel life will be less with these two cartridges, especially if you push them and torch your throat early on, but they slam into the steel with authority at 1000 yds...DANK!

For wildcats, any of the 6mm variants of the 3 above parent cases, as well as the 6.5x47 Lapua necked down to 6mm.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

For the AR15, the 6.5 Grendel will make you almost forget that you tried shooting distance before with .223, and it is the only 6.5mm cartridge specifically meant to work in the AR15 gas system when looking at factory ammo and brass options. You do not need a heavy, long barrel to realize the long range or superb accuracy of the 6.5 Grendel, my 17.6" Lilja Grendel or 16" AA Grendel being easy examples.  Both are ELR capable with factory ammo.  Just plug in the distance, atmospherics, dial up, make your wind call, and let fly, then watch in amazement as the bullet hits.

For the AR10, I like .260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor.  The new Winchester factory load in the 6.5 Creedmoor has very tough brass compared to the Hornady.  Barrel life will be less with these two cartridges, especially if you push them and torch your throat early on, but they slam into the steel with authority at 1000 yds...DANK!

For wildcats, any of the 6mm variants of the 3 above parent cases, as well as the 6.5x47 Lapua necked down to 6mm.
View Quote

Stupid question but what is it about the 6.5s that lead to shorter barrel life?

As a side note I appreciate your insight in this forum. Seems like you've always got some good information to share.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:09:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#4]
Anything 6.5mm and smaller in a case with a .473 head diameter is going to have shorter barrel life if you work at the intended pressures of those cartridges, which really means over 55ksi chamber pressure. Another commonly overlooked factor in barrel life is steel quality and hardness, so your Krieger and Bartlein barrels tend to have substantially longer life than your softer stainless steels.

With 6.5 Grendel, you get excellent barrel life because you don't have overbore like the 6.5-08 class of cartridges, but you of course lose performance due to case capacity and working pressure. However, you still have a cartridge that will exceed most people's expectations, mine included.  The Grendel has unusually high barrel life because of low working pressure, and a good balance of the case diameter to the neck.

The neck of the cartridge acts like a funnel for the burning propellant to flow through, so the higher the over bore ratio and pressure, the shorter the barrel life.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 2:23:07 AM EDT
[#5]
There are quite a few choices in 6mm that utilize the 6.5 Grendel case. I did the 224 Temeyok which is based on the 6.8SPC case but you need to make your own cases for most of the wildcats. I think I'm also going to do an upper in 6mm Hagar which Hornady makes brass for or do a 6mmAR Turbo 40°Improved

The guy who developed the 224 Temeyok and made my barrel is a big fan of the 6mm Dasher as well. Robert Whitley has a site and does uppers and barrels for a lot of the 6mm variants based on the Grendel case:
http://www.6mmar.com/Page_1.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top