Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2016 10:38:38 PM EDT
Had a PS4 since launch.  Love it.

My buddies that play have the Xbox 1. I want to game with them when gears 4 and battlefield 1 release so I bought an Xbox.

So I bought a 2 TB Xbox 1S Gears of war special edition.

GOW4 is an electronic copy that one must DL. Ok fine I get that.  But with my slow 5 meg Internet that's like 55 hours,  ok fine.  

Since I want to play something asap I go to GameStop and buy 3 used games.  Physical copies so I can play immediately.

Well I put the first one in and it had to install.  40 freaking minutes?

Is every Xbox game this way?  I lack the patience if so.  The PS4 doesn't do this.  Is this normal or is my Xbox 1 defective?

Really wish my ISP would get some competition.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

My buddies that play have the Xbox 1. I want to game with them when gears 4 and battlefield 1 release so I bought an Xbox.

GOW4 is an electronic copy that one must DL. Ok fine I get that.  But with my slow 5 meg Internet that's like 55 hours,  ok fine.  

Since I want to play something asap I go to GameStop and buy 3 used games.  Physical copies so I can play immediately.

Is every Xbox game this way?  I lack the patience if so.  The PS4 doesn't do this.  Is this normal or is my Xbox 1 defective?

View Quote

Depends on the game, but that is not out of the question.  With the larger games (40GB+) install time is 30minutes+ in my experience.  

For example, installing gears of war 4 took between 30-40 minutes for me.

Note, if you are looking for the time it takes before you can begin to start playing a game, that is more like ~5-15 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 6:00:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Go into your network settings and go Offline prior to putting the new disk in.  This forces the Xbox to DL from the disk and cuts down install time considerably, but its still not anywhere near as fast as the PS4 unfortunately.  Obviously updates need the network enabled again.  I have both systems and its glaringly obvious the difference in new game DL time.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Go into your network settings and go Offline prior to putting the new disk in.  This forces the Xbox to DL from the disk and cuts down install time considerably, but its still not anywhere near as fast as the PS4 unfortunately.  Obviously updates need the network enabled again.  I have both systems and its glaringly obvious the difference in new game DL time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will give that a try,  thank you.

But honestly,  I'm seriously considering sending the Xbox back.  I mean,  I get my 5 meg Internet is partially to blame,  but we have zero issues with the ps4 we've had since it was available.

Just sucks.  Wanted to play online with some buddies who are on Xbox,  but may not be possible.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, every X1 has the same slow as hell loading speeds, and it was a major contributing factor to my decision to finally sell my launch model X1 a few weeks ago. The download speed difference is well documented and I don't miss my X1 one bit.

ETA: I use FiOS internet and it was still unbelievably slow to download both physical and digital games to the X1. If you're going to send it back now would be the time---it's not going to improve.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 6:45:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes, every X1 has the same slow as hell loading speeds, and it was a major contributing factor to my decision to finally sell my launch model X1 a few weeks ago. The download speed difference is well documented and I don't miss my X1 one bit.

ETA: I use FiOS internet and it was still unbelievably slow to download both physical and digital games to the X1. If you're going to send it back now would be the time---it's not going to improve.
View Quote

I think I'm sending it back.

Absolutely shocked this is considered to be ok in 2016.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I really don't get it either.  They've forced full game downloads to HD's yet made the servers from which to DL from complete shit and Along with that you have internal HD's with shit write speeds.  I enjoy multiple things about my Xbone over the PS4, the DL speed and write speed aspect isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd say your making this out to be  bigger problem than it is.  Is it ideal?  No.  Is it a major problem?  No.  It is a minor inconvenience.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'd say your making this out to be  bigger problem than it is.  Is it ideal?  No.  Is it a major problem?  No.  It is a minor inconvenience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe with better Internet service.  It's not the fault of the Xbox, but 5 Meg is best I can currently get.

So, far more than a minor inconvenience.  Because of the deal I purchased (Gears 4 Xbox 1s 2tb edition)  Gears was an electronic copy.  I normally never buy these because the dl would take forever.  Well, about 55 hours estimated to dl. It's been going since Saturday lol. To make it worse, it stops downloading when any other game is inserted.

To make the wait easier, I went to the local GameStop and bought 3 used games, thinking they'd play immediately.  Nope, between 20 and 22 gig downloads on each.  For a physical disc? Ridiculous.

Not sure why our how, but this simply isn't an issue on the ps4.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Maybe with better Internet service.  It's not the fault of the Xbox, but 5 Meg is best I can currently get.

So, far more than a minor inconvenience.  Because of the deal I purchased (Gears 4 Xbox 1s 2tb edition)  Gears was an electronic copy.  I normally never buy these because the dl would take forever.  Well, about 55 hours estimated to dl. It's been going since Saturday lol. To make it worse, it stops downloading when any other game is inserted.

To make the wait easier, I went to the local GameStop and bought 3 used games, thinking they'd play immediately.  Nope, between 20 and 22 gig downloads on each.  For a physical disc? Ridiculous.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you aren't making much sense.   Is you issue with the time it takes to download and install a digital game?  Or is it with the install times of games copied from a disc?

All games have some kind of patch download on top of the install files from the disc.  20-22GB?  That is an outlier.  Typical patches are several hundred megabytes to a few gigabytes.

The only PS4 difference i can think of is that I believe it  may allow you to install the patch in the background, and launch/play the game while this happens.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Now you aren't making much sense.   Is you issue with the time it takes to download and install a digital game?  Or is it with the install times of games copied from a disc?

All games have some kind of patch download on top of the install files from the disc.  20-22GB?  That is an outlier.  Typical patches are several hundred megabytes to a few gigabytes.

The only PS4 difference i can think of is that I believe it  may allow you to install the patch in the background, and launch/play the game while this happens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm making perfect sense.  Relax,  it's a game console.  Not your child.

My issue is that the Xbox requires significant load time.  Be it a game you're downloading completely,  or a game for which you have a physical copy.

This sucks.  Badly.  My ps4 has no such issues.  That's it.

In this thread I wanted to ask if this was normal or perhaps there was something I could adjust.

No big deal. I'm probably going to keep it anyway.  Because I want to play Gears. But that doesn't make it suck less.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't blame you. I don't miss mine.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.  I'm dealing with it for now.  But a funny story that tested my meager patience.

Gears finally downloaded today.  Wife texts me about lunchtime and tells me.

Get home tonight to play?  You guessed it.  Needed an update lol.  Fortunately only 220mb or so.  Just funny I suppose.  Hopefully the game is worth it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Lol.  I'm dealing with it for now.  But a funny story that tested my meager patience.

Get home tonight to play?  You guessed it. Needed an update lol.  Fortunately only 220mb or so.  Just funny I suppose.  Hopefully the game is worth it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get home tonight to play?  You guessed it. Needed an update lol.  Fortunately only 220mb or so.  Just funny I suppose.  Hopefully the game is worth it.

The alternative is having a game breaking bug in the campaign.

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums/e9b54fc61eb74ad783d533ca502b0132/threads/gears-of-war-4-title-update---october-11th-2016/0b3f08fe-89ce-424c-b76d-97fba547551d/posts
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The alternative is having a game breaking bug in the campaign.

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums/e9b54fc61eb74ad783d533ca502b0132/threads/gears-of-war-4-title-update---october-11th-2016/0b3f08fe-89ce-424c-b76d-97fba547551d/posts

Didn't have time to read link yet, but if so, this is better than the alternative.  Happens with all games.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top