Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2013 3:15:16 PM EDT
Anyone own a Concours14...?
I currently ride an '08 Suzuki GSF1250 (Bandit)

Find myself drooling over the Conni...

Talk me into it.... Please.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#1]
ok.....YOLO  
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ok.....YOLO  
View Quote

That's all I need... Thanks.

End thread.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anyone own a Concours14...?
I currently ride an '08 Suzuki GSF1250 (Bandit)

Find myself drooling over the Conni...

Talk me into it.... Please.
View Quote

strange, i have an 07 gsf and have a similar affliction. my buddy just got one and he loves it. if finances improve, i see one in my future.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#4]
well... I ride a Bandit 600, and sat on an older Concourse while shopping for (what turned out to be) the Bandit, and was sorely tempted. Does that count?

If it wasn't 15+ years old, I'd have been hard pressed to leave without it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#5]
The Concours is a really nice bike.  I suggest you also look at the BMW bikes and consider a goldwing as well when talking touring bike.  HD and Goldwing owners are like their own exclusive clubs just different one is live to ride the other is ride to eat.   Do look at the BMW and if you have a Ducati dealer there see that too for grins they are amazing machines the only thing I ever had run off and hide from a Valkyrie. One thing I like about the BMW is most guys couldnt tell a ten year old model from this years where with Jap bikes every year is a different look.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#6]
A BMW would be my choice... I have a like of the RT1200.
Unfortunately BMW's are exceedingly expensive up here...
I can get a 2013 Concours for about $16k... A BMW will cost me about 8-10k more...
Hard to justify for a toy that only gets used 4 months a year...
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I owned one for 3 years.  Incredible power.  It will pull all the way to about 74 mph in 1st, and an honest low 90's in second.  Has what seems like unlimited power.

Great bike, but it didn't suit my riding. It really starts coming to life at about 70.  Anything under 65 seems like you could walk faster.  The bike just doesn't transmit the feeling of speed unless you are moving pretty good.  The typical 60 mph rides I do seemed boring on that bike.  

Some things to consider:  Factory Bridgestones are totally wrong for that bike.  Try some Michelin Road Pilots.  The sidewalls on the Bridgetones aren't strong enough, giving the front end some "vagueness" under spirited cornering.  Runs like its on rails, very secure, with the Michelins.

Watch front brake rotors carefully.  OEM rotors on the connie are crap.  Expect warpage at less than 10k.  Do NOT loose the fobs!!!  it'll be BIG bucks to replace all the necessary other shit to get the bike running again.  .  Buy good boots: air flow channels engine heat directly to  the right ankle.

Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#8]
The Concours is a cool bike. I like the FJR1300 a little better personally.

I've been eyeing these up lately. Not really a full out sport touring bike like the Kawi or Yami, but a badass touring/highway bike for sure.

Link Posted: 8/26/2013 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I second the FJR1300
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

End thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ok.....YOLO  

End thread.

No problem .

When it comes to stuff like this, if you really like it take it for a ride.  If it tickles your fancy then buy it and enjoy it for a while til something new comes along or you lose interest.  Bikes do depreciate but not near as bad as cars.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Linked brakes
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I second the FJR1300
View Quote

I've always had my eye on a ST bike.  It seems like besides the motor, the FJR excels at everything else.

The major advantage of the Yamaha over the C14 is the easier valve adjustment process, and longer intervals.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 11:55:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The major advantage of the Yamaha over the C14 is the easier valve adjustment process, and longer intervals.
View Quote

I hate valve adjusting...
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've always had my eye on a ST bike.  It seems like besides the motor, the FJR excels at everything else.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I second the FJR1300

ST bikes really seem like the best do it all bike if you're only going to have 1 bike, well maybe besides an adventure tourer, but if you stay on paved roads then a ST is the most capable do everything bike.

Link Posted: 8/27/2013 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Question for the OP....What is it about the Bandit 1250 that you don't like, that you think the Connie will do better?  If it's just new bike lust, believe me I completely get that
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Question for the OP....What is it about the Bandit 1250 that you don't like, that you think the Connie will do better?  If it's just new bike lust, believe me I completely get that
View Quote

The Bandit is fine, but I think the C14 would be a bit more comfortable for me...
Back in '08 when I bought the Suzuki it was a toss up between it and the C14, but a few factors made me pick the bandit...
It was less $, the motor was highly praised and... It had fewere gadgets.
The '08 Concours was the first year of the new design and at the time I didn't think all those gadgets were necessary.
Now.... I kinda think those little doo dads are pretty cool...

Link Posted: 8/27/2013 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#17]
FJR
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I know this is a few days old but I've been looking into the ZX14R's and think that it would be a better option for a sport touring bike compared to the Concours. I don't know why but I hate the Concours' and love the 14R's. The Concours has the detuned motor and shaft drive. The 14R has fairly comfortable seating, much more so then a ZX10R or other supersport bike. Plus there are comfort mods out there, handlebar risers, peg lowering kits, sport touring windscreens, etc. I've been doing a lot of reading about guys who use the 14R as a touring bike and it seems like a great option. The FJR would probably be better but you get that insane performance with the 14R.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I have buddies who went from FJRs to Connies and they say Connie is the better bike. Seeing how far these guys can ride them at blistering pace is astounding.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had a C10 since '91, and another one since '08.

I cannot imagine a better bike for all around riding - it goes, it stops, and it goes around corners.

It will do 110 all day long, 2-up with camping gear.

And the C14 is just the same, but more so. I'm gonna get one, soon.

Everybody loves them. and the bang for the buck is amazing.

Comfort and performance all in one package.

And if a C14 is not fast enough, you are doing it wrong.

YMMV

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
And if a C14 is not fast enough, you are doing it wrong.
View Quote

Then you get a ZX14 with tank and saddle bags.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:13:36 AM EDT
[#22]
The Ninja 1000 with bags is another option for a sport tourer on the side of sportier, wheres the Concours is more on the side of touring. The Ninja 1000 will be a lot lighter and smaller so unless your primary purpose for the bike is touring, it might be the better option. Good review here of it's sport touring capabilities.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/road-tests/2012-kawasaki-ninja-1000-rider-test.htm/

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I have always found (the hard way) that Kawasaki lacks the fit and finish that some of the other bike makers are capable of. For this reason alone, I'd go with the FJR or possibly a Triumph. The shine can wear off of a sport touring bike pretty quickly when they do a lot of miles and see more than just sunny days....

I can honestly say that my ZX-11 was the worst bike of 14 that I have ever owned. The best bikes I have ever owned were Yamahas and I don't consider myself to be a brand loyalist.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#24]
A little late to the party, but I bought a 2008 C14 in April this year. In short I would have to say do it and don't look back.

I swore up and down that I would never get rid of my Triumph Sprint ST, but the C14 is about the most perfect bike that I've owned in 22 years of riding. Power and torque everywhere - the poster above wasn't kidding that 90MPH+ in 2nd is realistic. Two-up with a 240lb rider and 140lb passenger is a breeze, the weight barely seems to make any difference versus solo riding. The suspension is a dream once it's set up correctly. ABS brakes are confidence-inspiring and bring such a heavy machine to a halt rapidly and with no drama. Even the ergonomics are superb for all day riding which is no mean feat for me at 6'6" tall. It's a legit sports-touring machine too, equally happy chewing up miles on the interstate or having fun in the twisties. Sometimes I'll take the hard cases off and ride the backroads around here solo just for the hell of it (don't tell the other half hehehe).

The only minor downside is the range as at 35-40MPG it's time to fill up at / around 200 miles. I'm old enough that I'm glad to stretch my legs by then though

Good luck with your decision!

ETA: Budget for a good radar detector if they're legal where you are. Trust me on this. You'll find yourself going faster than you think you are completely unintentionally.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm a BMW guy. This should be easy.

Go to your local BMW dealer, and ride a new R1200RT. Get a firm-price quote, out-the-door, from the dealer.

Then, go to your local Kawasaki dealer, and ride a new Connie. Get a firm-price quote, out-the-door, from the dealer.

Enjoy the shit out of your new Connie!!! Fantastic motorcycle at any price. Ridiculously tremendous value.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The Ninja 1000 with bags is another option for a sport tourer on the side of sportier, wheres the Concours is more on the side of touring. The Ninja 1000 will be a lot lighter and smaller so unless your primary purpose for the bike is touring, it might be the better option. Good review here of it's sport touring capabilities.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/road-tests/2012-kawasaki-ninja-1000-rider-test.htm/

http://canadamotoguide.com/images/stories/features/Test_Rides/11_kawasaki_ninja1000/ninja1000-tracking.jpg
View Quote

VERY similar.

Personally, I prefer the comfort of not having my knees stuck in my armpits while street riding.

But I'm an old fart.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
http://www.use.com/images/s_5/sorted/2012_Kawasaki_Concours_14_ABS_Candy_Arabian_Red_d303c31a4c6f945b75bc.jpg

VERY similar.

Personally, I prefer the comfort of not having my knees stuck in my armpits while street riding.

But I'm an old fart.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ridermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/web-IMG_9452.jpg

http://canadamotoguide.com/images/stories/features/Test_Rides/11_kawasaki_ninja1000/ninja1000-tracking.jpg
http://www.use.com/images/s_5/sorted/2012_Kawasaki_Concours_14_ABS_Candy_Arabian_Red_d303c31a4c6f945b75bc.jpg

VERY similar.

But I'm an old fart.

The Ninja 1000 is 509lbs with a wheelbase of 56.9" while the Concours is 688lbs with a wheelbase of 59.8". That's a pretty big difference. All depends on what the priorities are.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I have to sell my harley to buy a home this week, and I'm going to buy a bike next month..

...it'll be a Connie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top