Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2013 7:45:47 PM EDT
I have seen a couple of these on the internet and boy do I want one.  There dont appear to be many importers in the US, and moreover none are local to me.  Does anyone have one of these or any experience with them?  I have a work car and drive my own truck (04 Dodge Dakota with 54K miles) once a week to the gym, this would make a great hunting rig...once I get to the mountains with that whopping 500cc powerplant1

Link Posted: 9/13/2013 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Are they street legal?  Some of the Japanese minis have been used by universities for onsite maintenance even though they are not "street legal".
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#2]
They can be regestered as vehicles in many states, I know that WA is one.  I cannot speak as to the other 49.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#3]
WOW, looks like the same tires on my Polaris Ranger.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Seriously doubt you will get up to highway speed in that rig.

Small motor demands steep gearing, not to mention I doubt those tires are DOT legal for highway...
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 7:51:31 AM EDT
[#5]
There are a few here but the only way to get them registered is some kind of rural/farm exemption and they are not allowed in the cities.

I always thought they were pretty cool
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Bunch of them around here in the hands of farmers and hunters as well. They are very tight as far as cab space, if your are on the tall or heavy side of average you might not be comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#9]
How on Earth are they getting those on the street without DOT compliance, EPA certifications and the requisite NHTSA testing?
Do want- but importing stuff that has never been through the gauntlet of gov't red tape is usually sketchy or illegal.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They can be regestered as vehicles in many states, I know that WA is one.  I cannot speak as to the other 49.
View Quote

there used to be a dealer in Colfax

Small truck by Ry Jones, on Flickr

maybe call the ACE in Colfax?
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#13]

why don't you just get a Kubota utility vehicle, or equivalent from Deere etc?
the Kubota's are super-reliable, and unlike the Japanese mini 4x4's you can get parts for one at the 87 zillion Kubota dealers in this country.
what happens when you need a starter motor for your never-before-seen Japanese mini 4x4?  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/14/2013 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Cool... I plan on moving to WA soon... sounds like the perfect bang around town toy truck.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 6:24:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

the Kubota's are super-reliable, and unlike the Japanese mini 4x4's you can get parts for one at the 87 zillion Kubota dealers in this country.
what happens when you need a starter motor for your never-before-seen Japanese mini 4x4?  

ar-jedi

http://images.traderonline.com/img/9/dealer/7924748/110181439_1.jpg
View Quote

$20k????  Jesus for that much you could buy a brand new 4x4 Tacoma standard cab.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#16]
This place seems to have a nice selection...
American Mini Truck Center

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

ar-jedi

http://images.traderonline.com/img/9/dealer/7924748/110181439_1.jpg
View Quote

I have one of these, an 1100 like pictured.  I also have a mini truck.  They both get the job done, the mini truck does it cheaper and is much faster when needed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Surprised that anyone on ARFcom know's where Colfax WA is.  Wow.

How people have got them registered in WA State I have no idea, but I have seen some with plates on them.  They are a very handy lil vehicle.  Our neighbor has one on his farm and I have driven it quite a bit.  Here is a rundown of what I think of them.

Pro's
Fits anywhere an ATV does
Weather protection, heater, AC even unlike an ATV
Surprisingly big bed that can fit a lot and holds a decent ammt of weight
True 4x4 with a real manual transmission
Dirt simple to work on, easy access to engine almost like the old FC vans
Decent ride quality
Very tough and reliable
Never checked mpg but it seems to run forever on a couple of gallons

Cons
I'm 6'0" and my knees hit the dash.  An inch taller and I couldn't drive it (single cab Suzuki Carry)  A van version might be different where you could slide the seat back some.  I'm 170 lbs so width isn't a problem but I can't see a larger person being able to fit.

They do top out at 50mph under ideal conditions, however a realistic top speed is 35-40.  They accelerate good from 0-25 and then start gasping for breath and acceleration from that point on can be measured with a sundial.  Any hills or even gravel roads will slow their progress to a high degree.  

Out in the field with the transfer case in low range crawling along, this isn't a problem, but it is very underpowered for most normal road use.  I would NOT want to drive one in traffic on a street with a 35 mph speed limit or higher.  You would be looking in your mirror constantly to see what is trying to run you over.

All in all, a good choice for the farm or a LOW speed commute (25mph streets) but if you're looking for something to run faster than that, get a Toyota or Nissan small pickup

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top