Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2013 8:14:12 PM EDT
The wife and I are thinking about buying an 18 foot travel trailer. We plan on driving a loop from Washington to Arizona to Wisconsin and back over a two month timeframe. I am going to sell my car to buy a truck. My question is what kind of truck would have the best towing mpg to power ratio while towing a trailer, and while driving without load. Something like a V6 frontier, a 150/1500 series V8, or a 250/2500 series diesel?

Yes, I posted a thread on camper vans earlier, we've decided a truck and trailer would be better for our needs. Thanks in advance for the input.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#1]
How much does the trailer weigh? I think 7,000lbs is about the max for a 1/2 ton truck and that's with a weight distributing hitch. My dad went through about 5 transmissions towing with a 1500 dodge.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 3:54:27 AM EDT
[#2]
if you are going to tow and haul ALL the time, a diesel kicks ass
beyond that it's pretty much wasted money.  

Most half ton's have tow ratings of 10,000lbs now (which seems a little ridiculous but it's true).

Depends on what your trailer weighs and how big it is.

BTW, 5th wheels tow WAYYYYYYYY better than bumper pulls and are much much nicer inside.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 8:04:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I've looked at a few trailers and most weight between 3000 and 5000 pounds, like I said small trailer 18'.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 8:10:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much does the trailer weigh? I think 7,000lbs is about the max for a 1/2 ton truck and that's with a weight distributing hitch. My dad went through about 5 transmissions towing with a 1500 dodge.
View Quote

Dodge trans is the issue here
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't forget the listed trailer weight is before you load it up with all your stuff, you have to factor in all of your clothes, groceries, water, tools and whatever else you're going to carry in the trailer into your gross weight.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#6]
If most of the driven miles will be with the trailer go diesel.
V6 or V8 gas mileage will plummet hooked to a 3000+lb barn door you're dragging thru the air. As will acceleration and hill climbing. The diesel will be effected to a lesser extent.
If this trailer is not equiped with brakes, the brakes on a 3/4 ton will work better and last longer.
In the event of inclement weather, a heavy full-size diesel truck will handle better with a trailer behind it than a lighter truck would.

If you're going to tow it several days and stay a month, or drive a day stay a few, then the smaller truck/engine may be better.
Enjoy your trip, if you'll be uncoupling and leaving the trailer invest in good security measures. If you leave them coupled and unattended for an extened period practice good security, everywhere, everytime.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I would tend to lean towards a diesel if you are gonna be doing that big of a trip.

Are you planning on getting rid of the trailer and truck when you are done?

You may want to reconsider going with a lightly used class B/C and a tow dolly/trailer for your current car. Or look into renting one from RoadAmerica or similar companies

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I would be keeping the truck after the trip. My daily driver is a motorcycle. I would likely sell the trailer.

We looked into renting a RV, but for two months plus gas and mileage, would be over $7k, and we can buy a used trailer for that or less and sell it when we are through.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've looked at a few trailers and most weight between 3000 and 5000 pounds, like I said small trailer 18'.
View Quote

1500 V8 truck will be fine.  Get one rated for 10k (usually comes with lower rear end gears, such as 3.92 vs. 3.55 or 3.21), and you'll be more than fine.

Just towed 3000 lbs in a 12' enclosed trailer 2400 miles cross country with a 1500 Ram.  While the MPG was 12, it towed fine; at elevations ranging from 300' to 7600'.

Now, if you said 8k+ lbs, and 80% towing, my answer would change to a 2500 diesel.  But you're well within 1/2 ton range, and while the fuel mileage will not be super good towing, it doesn't sound like you'll be towing enough (both in number of times and weight) to justify a diesel.

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#10]
If I could find a decent deal on one I'd go for a 2wd 3/4 ton Xtra cab or crew cab diesel - and think of it as a longer term vehicle "investment".  It won't notice that size trailer, will get semi-decent towing mileage and will get reasonable mileage w/o the trailer.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:48:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Look into the Equal-i-zer weight distributing hitch.  AWESOME product!
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 6:17:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 6:41:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you all for the input thus far. I have noticed used diesels are pretty expensive, but there are good prices on 95-99 f250 diesels, but mose v8 gas trucks are around 2-3k less.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thank you all for the input thus far. I have noticed used diesels are pretty expensive, but there are good prices on 95-99 f250 diesels, but mose v8 gas trucks are around 2-3k less.
View Quote

If it's only a few grand difference I'd be looking at the diesels.  There will be a difference in your stress level/enjoyment while towing and the diesel will probably have a much greater range than the gas truck.

Are you planning on dry camping or staying in campgrounds with hook-ups?  Small trailers will have small tanks and that could be a potential problem depending on your plans.  What time of year will you be travelling?  Inexpensive lightweight RV trailers are not known for their insulation qualities - extreme temps will be a problem.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Every trailer I have looked at has heat and ac, we would likely be stopping at campgrounds on most occasions. We are planning forend of march through early May, southern states first. We may not go as far as Wisconsin, we may not go further east than Wyoming and Montana.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Every trailer I have looked at has heat and ac, we would likely be stopping at campgrounds on most occasions. We are planning forend of march through early May, southern states first. We may not go as far as Wisconsin, we may not go further east than Wyoming and Montana.
View Quote

Windows/insulation quality are somewhat lacking on lower end RV's - A/C or heater will be running constantly in extreme temps.  Tanks are not necessarily insulated or heated - you can have issues with frozen shit (literally..........)
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

1500 V8 truck will be fine.  Get one rated for 10k (usually comes with lower rear end gears, such as 3.92 vs. 3.55 or 3.21), and you'll be more than fine.

Just towed 3000 lbs in a 12' enclosed trailer 2400 miles cross country with a 1500 Ram.  While the MPG was 12, it towed fine; at elevations ranging from 300' to 7600'.

Now, if you said 8k+ lbs, and 80% towing, my answer would change to a 2500 diesel.  But you're well within 1/2 ton range, and while the fuel mileage will not be super good towing, it doesn't sound like you'll be towing enough (both in number of times and weight) to justify a diesel.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I completely agree, towing an 18 foot trailer is minimal in my book. The expense of a diesel does not make sense.
A modern half ton truck can tow a 24" TT easily in my opinion, I have owned a few trailers with the largest being 33'. I towed a 26' foot with a first generation Tundra for 2 years.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#18]
My 2003 Duramax gets 18 mpg towing my 27 foot Keystone Bullet all over Washington. Loaded down and full of water the trailer weighs about 6300.

I get 22 back and forth to work 26 miles each way on the wet side of the state, and 26 empty going cross state.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#19]
My buddy, Mr Cob, bought himself a 2002 Freightliner to haul his toys.

That's his 2003 Dodge Ram Dually.
It's for sale.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I tow a 23' trailer behind a 6" lifted Chevy Silverado 1500.  35" tires, stock 3.42 gears, exhaust, intake, and Superchips Cortex programmer.  Dry weight of the trailer is 4735 lbs.  With the TOW tune programmed, 91 octane fuel, fully loaded trailer, and a quad in the truck, I was able to squeeze out 12.3 mpg on a round trip from Boise, ID to Newport, OR.  And that was doing 70+ mph where allowed.

From the sound of it, what you are looking at, a 1/2 ton will do.  My Chevy is rated at 10,000 lbs towing with a weight distributing hitch.  Steep inclines absolutly suck ass and I can muster about 45 mph up a 7 degree incline.  I would say get a 1/2 ton.  However, if you ever decide to go bigger in trailer size, having a diesel will pretty much open you up to tow any size trailer.  This is where I am at now.  I love my trailer but now I'm looking at a toy-hauler.  The fifth-wheel tow haulers are too big for  my 1/2 ton, and the trailer tow haulers are right at the max I want to go with my 1/2 ton.  If I would have purchased the diesel up front, all this would be a non-issue.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:40:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I just got done towing a 16' enclosed cargo trailer with my Dodge 1500 with the 5.7.  The empty weight of the trailer was about 2,500 pounds and the most I had it up to was about 5,000 to 5,500 pounds.  It wasn't the most weight I've towed with the truck but it was the most wind catching trailer I've towed with it.  It pulled the trailer extremely well and that was without a weight distributing hitch and with the stock 3.55 gears.  I wouldn't be afraid to take a similar trailer across country.

In short, a 5,000 pound, 18' camper trailer will be just fine behind a 1/2 ton.  Expect to get an average of 8 to 12 mpg, depending on speeds, winds, traffic flow, and grade.

I would highly recommend putting money aside for a weight distributing hitch, a good brake controller, and tow mirrors (if the truck doesn't have them already).
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:53:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I pull a camper (travel trailer) on family camping trips a few times a year.

I just traded in my 09 F150 5.4L V8 for a 13 F150 3.5L Ecoboost.  This beast hauls my 7.5k lb (loaded) camper WAY better than the 5.4L did.

Also, like someone else stated, get a weight distribution hitch with anti-sway; or even look into the ProPride 3P hitch.  (Expensive)

The Ecoboost is awesome.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 3:50:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

This sounds about right.  My 18 ft. travel trailer weighs 4,500 lbs., and has a 6,300 lb. GVWR.  My 5.3L Sierra 1500 tows it just fine (trailer brakes and a load-balancing hitch.)  But I can feel that I wouldn't want to tow a whole lot more weight than that.

No way in hell I'd tow it with a V6.  (I can't comment about the EcoBoost, but that's a way different motor than the one on a Frontier...)

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd opt for a late-model (post-09) half-ton Silverado with the 6spd automatic.  It pulls well, and thanks to the (finally) available 6spd it does pretty good on gas for it's size.

You'll just hate life pulling a trailer of any size with anything smaller than a half-ton with a v8.  v6's can get the job done, but it's legitimately painful to tow with one for any distance.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#25]
The twin turbo Ecoboost ain't no regular V6

Skip to 9:05 for head to head vs Silverado and Ram.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#26]
If you plan to make annual trips, I'd say diesel.
I have a 20' enclosed cargo, only a foot higher than my truck, and got terrible mileage.  Trailer weight was only 4K lbs, but the aerodynamic drag was terrible.  I can only imagine it being much worse for a travel trailer sitting up a few feet higher.  350 gas engine, got 11 doing 65ish.  would get 9 if I did 75.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:20:24 PM EDT
[#27]
04 dodge 2500 with Hemi and I pull a 10k bumper pull on an equalizer hitch.   Pulled from MO to Ca and back and while yes a diesel would have pulled better, the guy we were running with pulling nearly the same size camper only got about a mpg better.   I get about. 11mpg towing it.  

After that trip I found out that my mirrors fold out. :/

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top