User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By shocktrp:

Alternator & Gasoline seem shifted too far to the right.
Space between D-C & E-F seems too wide, like it was from a car with a similar, but not the same, cluster.

Could be the camera angle I guess.
View Quote
Yep, angle. The lens is a few inches off the cluster and the pic is off to the side.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 3:41:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1969GTX] [#3]
Still not motivated enough to swap out tires for a burn out video. Maybe I'll get around to it lol.

New front and rear bumpers, AMD. Fit nice and the chrome is superb. Also way cheaper than having my old ones re chromed. Plus I finally found a rear GTX emblem from a member on the Mopar site I frequent.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And I have this wideband kit sitting in my garage waiting to be installed...

Attachment Attached File

And I can thank this website for the uber closeup pics of normal sized pictures.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Well its winter up here so I guess we can let you slide on the motivation thing at least till next year, but I must say those bumpers look outstanding and I might add prolly better than a re chrome on the original. So when your done teasing us...
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 3:56:06 AM EDT
[#5]
So I swapped out the carpet. I also ordered red door cards that were on sale through Year One. And eventually I'll get red seat covers.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Got a front disc brake kit installed. From Dr. Diff and utilizes parts from a 78-79 Dodge Aspen, single piston. It was a direct swap, no modifications needed. 15/16" bore makes for a long, soft pedal...it feels almost like power assist.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 5:58:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OldArmy] [#9]
BURNOUT VIDEO please?
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Bump for some one wheel peel.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Great job.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#12]
A couple of updates. I replaced the Crane iron rocker arms with a set of Hughes CNC rockers in 1:5.  The iron ones were wearing at the tips and are getting replaced by Crane so I figured I would upgrade and sell the replacements.  And while i was in there I installed a new set of 10 degree locks and keepers, the old were 7 degree.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And I installed a set of Nitto 555R rear tires for better grip on the street.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The most recent is the addition of a six pack hood.  It is made to be hinge mounted so i only needed front hood pins as well as the stock hold down hardware.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#13]
One other thing. See if you can find a copy of the old Direct Connection Chassis book. I have both the chassis and engine books in my library. They have some great pointers and tips to get you headed the right way and Mopar put a lot of engineering efforts into drag racing and those were part of the results as were a lot of super stock wins.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Good job.  That's a great looking B-body.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
One other thing. See if you can find a copy of the old Direct Connection Chassis book. I have both the chassis and engine books in my library. They have some great pointers and tips to get you headed the right way and Mopar put a lot of engineering efforts into drag racing and those were part of the results as were a lot of super stock wins.
View Quote
I have the chassis book and it didn't contain anything ground breaking that I didn't already know.  It is good for reference.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By myfakename:
No clue lol. Some weekends I was at it both days until nightfall. The metal work and fabrication went by quick. The bodywork is dragging.

I appreciate all the great comments. I am not a painter, nor a body man, nor a great welder. I am simply someone who could not afford a restored car or pay someone to restore it. It has been a ride and I haven't even started reassembly.  The car is going to be a driver, not a full restoration. It ain't going to be perfect that's for sure and I did not want to get into a restoration that takes years and tens of thousands of dollars to complete. I want to be driving this car by middle of next year so some areas are not getting full attention. If it can be a rust free 5 footer I will be happy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By peligro113:
OP how much time do you have into this project...you seem to be hauling ass.
No clue lol. Some weekends I was at it both days until nightfall. The metal work and fabrication went by quick. The bodywork is dragging.

I appreciate all the great comments. I am not a painter, nor a body man, nor a great welder. I am simply someone who could not afford a restored car or pay someone to restore it. It has been a ride and I haven't even started reassembly.  The car is going to be a driver, not a full restoration. It ain't going to be perfect that's for sure and I did not want to get into a restoration that takes years and tens of thousands of dollars to complete. I want to be driving this car by middle of next year so some areas are not getting full attention. If it can be a rust free 5 footer I will be happy.
I have followed your thread and will have to disagree to the part of the last paragraph above. You sir are a great painter, excellent body man and welder and have rebuilt a georgeous car. Hats off to you.....
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By IllardSuggins:

I have followed your thread and will have to disagree to the part of the last paragraph above. You sir are a great painter, excellent body man and welder and have rebuilt a georgeous car. Hats off to you.....
View Quote
I appreciate that very much. It was really fun putting this car back on the road from a rusted out hulk and I smile every time I'm behind the wheel. I doubt I'll do another but thankful I had the opportunity to do this one!
1969 GTX 440 Glasstek Six Pack Hood
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Tagscribe
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Here are some pics of the door panels I forgot about. 5 1/2 month wait from Year One lol
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#20]
You did a nice job. The car looks great
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Who did you get the hood from & how is the quality?
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Who did you get the hood from & how is the quality?
View Quote
Glasstek.  Build quality is very good, nice smooth finish.

A couple of gripes though.  The molded in nuts for the hood release hardware are almost 3/4" off so the release doesn't catch.  The hold down fits with some tweaking to the bend.  Also this is a six pack upper skin molded to a standard hood inner skin so if you want to make it fresh air (which I assume everybody wants who buys the hood) then you have to cut out the opening under the scoop and the scoop openings.  Leads to uneven underhood surface to seal to.  This may be the case for bolt on hoods from the few that make these hoods.

I would have gone AAR if I had known about the issues above.  Plus, I have contacted Glasstek twice without so much as a fuck off response from them.  Just wanting to see if I can safely drill and tap the holes they put in the wrong place.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks like Glasstek doesn't make anything for 71-74.

I've got mine narrowed down to 3;

http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/6874charger.htm Bulge hood (either pin on or factory hinged).

http://up22.com/charger68.htm 6-pack DC-444/DC444T (either pin on or hinged).

https://www.andysautosport.com/fiberglass_hoods/dodge_charger.html 6-Pack (pin on).

(Or AMD just started making metal bulge hoods for $900 & Ram Charger/Air Grabber for $1K - but for $1K you only get the hood/door, no air box or hardware.)
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:31:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like Glasstek doesn't make anything for 71-74.

I've got mine narrowed down to 3;

http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/6874charger.htm Bulge hood (either pin on or factory hinged).

http://up22.com/charger68.htm 6-pack DC-444/DC444T (either pin on or hinged).

https://www.andysautosport.com/fiberglass_hoods/dodge_charger.html 6-Pack (pin on).

(Or AMD just started making metal bulge hoods for $900 & Ram Charger/Air Grabber for $1K - but for $1K you only get the hood/door, no air box or hardware.)
View Quote
I have heard nothing but good things on AAR fiberglass hoods. They have a powerbulge hinged and lift off for 71-74
https://www.aarqualityfiberglass.com/catalog/772
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:51:59 AM EDT
[#25]
One minor update as I have been driving it quite a bit. I installed a Holley Sniper gas tank and in-tank pump. Main reason was to have a more quiet pump (the Holley Black is loud!) And to have it installed if I ever get FI.

It has the Walbro 255 lph pump which is plenty for my application. Sender works perfectly too.

Install was pretty easy, had to put in a new regulator with return and to run a 3/8" return line.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And I had custom decals made for the hood. No one makes a 440 4BBL decal that mimics the 6BBL original so I has some printed on reflective material. They came out really good imho.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice build!
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I love your silver Mopar with black hood and black wheels. It's my car's grand-pappy!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By NorthBridge:
I love your silver Mopar with black hood and black wheels. It's my car's grand-pappy!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/337680/IMG_0020_JPG-831716.JPG
View Quote
I'll trade ya for a week!

I pulled my heads and sent them off to be cnc ported, 3 angle valve job done, and re surfaced. I had a few wet plugs likely from my valve seal install and said f-it, I'll have someone else do it lol.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#29]

I'll trade ya for a week!

View Quote
I’d be happy to. I’d prolly just park yours in my driveway, sit in a lawn chair with a couple beers and stare at it the whole time. Beautiful car, sir.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#30]

I’d be happy to. I’d prolly just park yours in my driveway, sit in a lawn chair with a couple beers and stare at it the whole time. Beautiful car, sir.
View Quote
Yea, I really like yours too!

I just got my heads back from Modern Cylinder Head and am happy with the work, price and turn around.  They were cnc ported, 3 angle valve job, new seals, spring heights/lbs set, decked surface, cleaned.  This should wake it up a bit. Air flow chart that came with my heads shows 299cfm @.500 lift, 311cfm @ .550" lift

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Somehow I missed this thread! IT'S AWESOME. Just spent the last hour going through it. What an AWSOME job you have done and the other mopar pics were and added bonus. Great project.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Very nice porting job, deck surface is unreal. I worked in a shop in the late 70's and our Storm Vulcan Headmaster would never be able to achieve that finish.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By rts414:
Very nice porting job, deck surface is unreal. I worked in a shop in the late 70's and our Storm Vulcan Headmaster would never be able to achieve that finish.
View Quote
The deck is very nice and smooth. The cnc still blows me away. What a great technology!

DamascusKnifemaker, thank you! I have been keeping up with your thread and am anxious to see the re worked motor fire up. Thumbs op on a sweet car!

I got the heads installed, headers put back on, valve train set up, intake, etc. Fired up and brought to operating temp, adjusted timing to 25°initial/ 38° total, getting a steady 13" of vacuum at 850rpms.

I went with Felpro headgaskets (.039" compressed) as opposed to the spendy Cometic gaskets (.030") I had prior to tear down. They were half the price. As my pistons are .008" in the hole, I didn't give up much quench, which is now .047" and compression is a calculated 10.2:1

I didn't take it out on the street yet. Going to re check head bolt torque first but it revs and idles nice.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Holy Guacamolies! Just read this thread front to back. Great job, op!

Now about that burnut pic?

Link Posted: 2/24/2019 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By SurfAnimal:

Now about that burnut pic video?

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SurfAnimal:

Now about that burnut pic video?

Yes. I stand corrected!
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#37]
In-car burnout pic.  Not as impressive as street radial burnouts (wearing Nitto 555R tires) but this will do for now
1969 GTX Burnout Nitto 555R

https://youtu.be/CBcr3gexF2Q
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Just glanced through the thread and i left out the sure grip swap out.  The rear end was acting like a locker, squalling and popping around turns so i pulled it.  The clutch pack was jacked on one side so i replaced them and refilled with gear lube + LS additive.
Attachment Attached File

Didn't help,  many figure 8's turned and it was still crunchy so i pulled it out again and the flippin pinion gear cross was broke!  I got Summit Racing on speed dial and had a brand new Eaton TruTrac + ARP ring gear bolts + red loctite in my hands 2 days later.  I don't mess around!
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

No LSD additive needed, just straight up gear oil.  Quiet as a mouse but locks nice on acceleration.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#39]
And because I like to keep busy, I welded up a catch can as I don't have a baffle in my valve cover so it was probably sucking oil.
Attachment Attached File

And I built a cold air cleaner assembly out of an aluminum baking pan.  It worked perfect and I sealed it to the bottom of the 6 Pack hood with rubber moulding.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Woot! Burn out vid!

Link Posted: 10/11/2019 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Beautiful car!! My dream car as a young boy was a 1970 Roadrunner, so I'm a big fan of those long mopar coupes.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Thank you fellas!

I don't think I posted this, but I did swap out the Thunder AVS with the Thunder AVS2 which has annular boosters. Makes for better throttle response and zero lean stumble on transition between the idle and primary circuit.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#46]
I am very happy to find this thread.
I spent over an hour reading it, then going back to look at the amazing pictures again and your details.
Beautiful build. AMAZING!
Please keep doing the updates on it.

Thank you!.

Ron
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#47]
And I upgraded the fuel system, again. Purchased a Holley Sniper EFI to get better drivability. It took me about a day to get it installed and running. I already had the in tank pump installed which was a time saver.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/15/2020 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Zombie thread!
Nicely done OP.  Pics make me miss Arizona.

Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#49]

I just got my heads back from Modern Cylinder Head and am happy with the work, price and turn around.  They were cnc ported, 3 angle valve job, new seals, spring heights/lbs set, decked surface, cleaned.  This should wake it up a bit. Air flow chart that came with my heads shows 299cfm @.500 lift, 311cfm @ .550" lift

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/20190220_163417_jpg-852266.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/20190220_163438_jpg-852267.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/20190220_163502_jpg-852268.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/20190220_163608_jpg-852269.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/20190220_163615_jpg-852270.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/20190220_163417_jpg-852266.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/20190220_163438_jpg-852267.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/20190220_163502_jpg-852268.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/20190220_163608_jpg-852269.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/20190220_163615_jpg-852270.JPG

Pretty heads there ... did you see a decent bump at low valve lifts?
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:52:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

Pretty heads there ... did you see a decent bump at low valve lifts?
View Quote

Going by the seat of my pants, yes.  It pulls very well from 3k up to 5500.  Restriction right now is going to be in the intake.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top