Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2017 1:12:30 PM EDT
Final negotiations after work and will probably trailer it home even if I have to pay too much

64 galaxie 500, 390/4v auto 2 door hard top, about 100k miles all orig.

Starts, runs, reverse and first work. Haven't got it out of the storage lot to verify other gears tonight.
A lot of moisture in the exhaust when the owner started it last night.

I've owned lots of pos cars that I've had to keep running but I'm more of a moto guy when it comes to mods/fab/ making stock shit cooler. Plenty mechanically inclined with a bitchen toolset, so doubt there is anything I can't figure out.

Body is pretty damn straight, no rust, no repair. Doors,trunk,hood all shut easily and solid. Even gaps around doors, etc.
Interior glass is all good condition. She is original, unrestored.

Any old ford guys here know of specific gremlins I need to look for?

Am I stepping into a dark place from which I may never return?

Owner and I are just on opposite sides of $7k,

Is this a fo? Or a no fo?Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Hope you enjoy it. Spent a lot of time in a 65 with the 390 and 2 speed automatic. Nice cruising car. It was like 10 turns lock to lock on the steering so you got used to really spinning the steering wheel for power slides (hey, I guess we were drifting).

Not the most powerful motor, but they can be made that way if you have a desire.

Also had a friend with a 65 with the 352. Good car.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Post pics when you get it home.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb_juTPQJUc

I love the Galaxie.  I have no idea what they're worth... but they're cool!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#4]
My first car was a 64 Galaxie . What would you like to know ?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#5]
No rust is key, complete like that and just needing maintenance to get running I'd say $7 grand isn't bad for a 2 door muscle car era big block anything with no rust.

Then you'll all be like "I've got a galaxy five hundred!  But it's not air conditioned!"
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No rust is key, complete like that and just needing maintenance to get running I'd say $7 grand isn't bad for a 2 door muscle car era big block anything with no rust.

Then you'll all be like "I've got a galaxy five hundred!  But it's not air conditioned!"
View Quote
Nice, I'm a YUGE fan of the Reverend!

Turns out, not quite as "completely original" as originally stated

Wheels, intake, carb and air cleaner are not factory.
Radiator has been replaced along with shroud.
However, no rust, no body repair, runs, drives, everything except one reverse light works.

Took it for a test drive last night with my 13 year old, he got in, looked around and asked, "where are the seat belts??"
I laughed.

No pics yet, hauled it home and unloaded it in the biggest rain storm we've had this year.
Will post pics when I get home this eve.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Inspiration

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#8]
That's a Fairlane...
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's a Fairlane...
View Quote
 lol posted wrong pic. fixed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Freshen up the shocks and put new brakes all the way around it.

Put a nice set of touring rubber on it and hit the interstate.

That thing will float down the highway at 100 mph like it's on a cloud.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Brakes? Don't think is has'em.

4 wheel drum, no power assist. I need both feet just to keep it from rolling at idle

Booster is in the near future, discs up front in the not to distant
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#12]
It should have the threaded inserts under the carpet for lap belts . You will just have to make small holes in the carpet for bolts . Also an aluminum intake is a nice upgrade and they used to be easy to find .
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:32:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

4 wheel drum, no power assist. I need both feet just to keep it from rolling at idle

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, it won't have any if they're not fresh.

Front drums on big old cars SUCK if there is any real speed involved but my comment on the ride stands.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Front drums on big old cars SUCK if there is any real speed involved but my comment on the ride stands.  
View Quote
Ride quality, you are correct sir, she floats!

60 is as far as I was willing to push it before getting a better idea of brake/suspension/steering condition.

She pretty squishy overall running down the road, but no weird shimmies or shakes.
Everything feels "together"
Has a pretty serious tranny rear main leak, hope I can replace that without too much effort
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#15]
nice buy OP!  That car is begging you to make it into a vintage style NASCAR / road racer

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#16]
This summer my goal is just to make it safe and reliable.
It will be the go get ice cream on a Saturday afternoon ride for the wife and I

But we have pretty long winters here and vintage road race gets me all fuzzy inside!!

Drag racing is cool and all, but I'm a bike guy at heart and for me corners are where it's at no matter what you are driving.

Only downside, speaking of bikes, the wife pretty much invoked her SO veto power.
Nothing, she paused and said "nothing" again, this time accompanied by her pointer finger, "gets done to that car until that bike (which went on the bench last October) is finished and hopefully sold"

Fortunately I've just got prime and paint to go on the bike, but I probably better get to making room in the shop/bank account!
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Beautiful score!!  North Race Cars has rear disc brake conversions using '95 Mustang GT or Cobra brakes. I went with the GT conversion so I could keep my 15" Magnum 500 wheels. Not sure where to find a Galaxy bolt on kit for the front.  But with modern conversions for just about everything, it needs to be done on any car that is not a concours show car that gets driven.
I have photos of the Randy Hinson car collection from back in the '80's where he has a garage full of those. Most/all are 427 tri-power cars. All were fully restored. He even had a Tunderbolt in one garage.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Final negotiations after work and will probably trailer it home even if I have to pay too much

Starts, runs, reverse and first work. Haven't got it out of the storage lot to verify other gears tonight.

I've owned lots of pos cars that I've had to keep running but I'm more of a moto guy when it comes to mods/fab/ making stock shit cooler. Plenty mechanically inclined with a bitchen toolset, so doubt there is anything I can't figure out.

Body is pretty damn straight, no rust, no repair. Doors,trunk,hood all shut easily and solid. Even gaps around doors, etc.

Is this a fo? Or a no fo?https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298316/IMG-1390-216695.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298316/IMG-1386-216694.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298316/IMG-1385-216693.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298316/IMG-1381-216691.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298316/IMG-1380-216690.JPG
View Quote

Beautiful car. I envy you, but in a good way. I'd keep it looking just the way she is, but definately upgrade the brakes to power assisted disc/drum. Heck, there may even be some rest-mod kits out there that will adapt 4 wheel disc brakes. All depends on how much $$ you want to spend....it might involve modding the rear axle end plates with something off of a more modern car.
Google is your friend.

Edited to add one option/company worth checking out is Stainless Steel Brakes Corporation (SSBC). Back in '96 a friend of mine used a kit from them on a Falcon resto-mod he built. Custom fabbed bracket that mounted a vacum booster from another Ford car...the Granada I believe. The kit was all Ford parts, minus a couple one-off brakets. So, come repair/maint. time....you could get everything you needed at your local parts store. No hunting around and paying crazy prices for custom brake pads only made in Italy or some such nonscence.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

60 is as far as I was willing to push it before getting a better idea of brake/suspension/steering condition.

She pretty squishy overall running down the road, but no weird shimmies or shakes.
Has a pretty serious tranny rear main leak, hope I can replace that without too much effort
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only issue with drums is fading. They stop as good as anything else outside of ABS equipped rides as long as they are adjusted correctly. I regularly cruise the highway in my 4 wheel drum brake dinosaur at 70. Stopping has never been an issue. And these are manual brakes
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#21]
We had a convertible come trough the show a few months ago. Fun car to cruise around in.

It came with many boxes of parts.

I love these wheels on it

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Beautiful car. I envy you, but in a good way. I'd keep it looking just the way she is, but definately upgrade the brakes to power assisted disc/drum. Heck, there may even be some rest-mod kits out there that will adapt 4 wheel disc brakes. All depends on how much $ you want to spend....it might involve modding the rear axle end plates with something off of a more modern car.
Google is your friend.

Edited to add one option/company worth checking out is Stainless Steel Brakes Corporation (SSBC). Back in '96 a friend of mine used a kit from them on a Falcon resto-mod he built. Custom fabbed bracket that mounted a vacum booster from another Ford car...the Granada I believe. The kit was all Ford parts, minus a couple one-off brakets. So, come repair/maint. time....you could get everything you needed at your local parts store. No hunting around and paying crazy prices for custom brake pads only made in Italy or some such nonscence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this a fo? Or a no fo?https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298316/IMG-1390-216695.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298316/IMG-1386-216694.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298316/IMG-1385-216693.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298316/IMG-1381-216691.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298316/IMG-1380-216690.JPG

Beautiful car. I envy you, but in a good way. I'd keep it looking just the way she is, but definately upgrade the brakes to power assisted disc/drum. Heck, there may even be some rest-mod kits out there that will adapt 4 wheel disc brakes. All depends on how much $ you want to spend....it might involve modding the rear axle end plates with something off of a more modern car.
Google is your friend.

OK, my cousin is balls deep getting a 64 convertible into something resembling a street cruiser now so I hollered at him about the brakes.

He used 71 galaxy or ltd spindles, calipers and other goodies to include the booster, master cyl. and proportioning valve.

The only issue he ran into so far is where the goofy old style power steering ties into the newer stuff, you can't get a full nut threading on the castle nut.

He machined the steering rod a little thinner to get enough of it on there to get the key through the castle nut.

He says it's still 100% safe and he knows his shit.

This may or may not be the way you go but at least it's something to start from. I can  get pics if needed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Put a fresh set of gas shocks and some good rubber on it and you will be impressed with the ride quality of the old land yacht.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice find!
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice car OP, you did good for around 7K. Those wheels look like GM rallies
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:41:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I like it .
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:05:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nice car OP, you did good for around 7K. Those wheels look like GM rallies
View Quote
They do,

They aren't,

But yeah, they do.

Probably look great on an impala, galaxie......not so much, but they will do for now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:09:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Fatman fabrication for disc brakes up front. The rear diff should be a Ford 9" small bearing. Plenty of disc brake kits for those.
Cheap out is 70's Lincoln and Grenada front spindles and disc brakes swap. Brake booster and master cylinder are direct drop ins too.

Flaming river has a rack and pinion steering upgrade kit for your year Galaxie 500.

Cruise it and enjoy it!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:48:07 AM EDT
[#29]

I LOVE '64 Galaxy 2 doors.  I've always dreamed of finding a clean one to fix up.  

But alas, l lack the money and place to do it.  

Keep the pics coming so l can live vicariously through you.

joinery????!!!!!!  Fucking autocorrect.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:52:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I LOVE '64 Galaxy 2 doors.  I've always dreamed of finding a clean one to fix up.  

But alas, l lack the joinery and place to do it.  

Keep the pics coming so l can live vicariously through you.
View Quote
Due to your completely bad ass avatar I have no choice but to comply
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:13:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:19:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:15:00 AM EDT
[#33]
2nd car I owned. Built like a tank, parts were a PITA to find, got real good at looking behind barns/houses and what few junkyards still had them.

QC was perhaps one of the best things about that year.

Shame it's not an XL with a 427.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's easy. You just over stamp the "P" in the VIN designating 390 with an "R" for dual quad 427.

Great looking car op. I'm not saying you would but don't do the above. Plenty of people have been taken by unscrupulous Galaxie owners who have done just that.

Have fun with and build it how you want it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#35]
They great cars
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's easy. You just over stamp the "P" in the VIN designating 390 with an "R" for dual quad 427.

Great looking car op. I'm not saying you would but don't do the above. Plenty of people have been taken by unscrupulous Galaxie owners who have done just that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I can set you up with whatever intake you want. 2x4   3x2  1x4  Police Cruiser.   Pretty much whatever you need.    
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:01:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

And I can set you up with whatever intake you want. 2x4   3x2  1x4  Police Cruiser.   Pretty much whatever you need.    
View Quote
I have always had a thing for six packs!!!

We may have to talk
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:19:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something I always wanted to do, never could afford. Offy was about the only bunch that made those back in the 80s. Had to settle for an Edelbrock and 750DP.

Is that the original carpet? The original build sheet may either be under the carpet or the rear seat.

Me? I want a '61-63 Thunderbird!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top