Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2021 3:09:58 AM EDT
Specifically, an '18 Subaru Legacy. Looking for all-seasons; we get snow here, but I wouldn't say enough to justify dedicated snow tires. That said, I'll probably at least look for the three-peak severe snow rating.

Looking at TireRack, it's zeroing me in on the Michelin Cross Climate 2, General Altimax 365 AW, Firestone WeatherGrip, and Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady.

Anyone have any experience with these?

I had a set of Goodyear WeatherReadys on another car once, but only had them six months before that car hit a deer and was totaled. Frankly I don't remember what they were like.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 3:37:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Tire Rack doesn't sell Nokian, but if you're looking for tires with the snowflake symbol, Nokian should be in your search.

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weather-tires/nokian-wr-g4/
Is their current "all weather"/4-season tire.

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weather-tires/nordman-solstice/
Nordman is an alternative branding, they re-release some older model tires under a new name. This one appears to be the previous generation of their WR-G 4 season tire line, it's a little less aggressive tread design so closer to a traditional all-season tire.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 3:50:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I just ordered tires for the wife's AWD CRV.  If I recall correctly, the Goodyear WeatherReady are only rated for 60K miles.  I went through Costco, I was going back and forth between the Michelin and Bridgestone.  Both are rated 80K, and the reviews were a little better on the Bridgestone, so that's what I went with. They are Bridgestone Alenza Ultra.

Can't give feedback on performance yet because they don't get installed until Sunday, and we'll, we haven't had snow or ice yet.  I based it solely on different online reviews I read.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 3:57:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Specifically, an '18 Subaru Legacy. Looking for all-seasons; we get snow here, but I wouldn't say enough to justify dedicated snow tires. That said, I'll probably at least look for the three-peak severe snow rating.

Looking at TireRack, it's zeroing me in on the Michelin Cross Climate 2, General Altimax 365 AW, Firestone WeatherGrip, and Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady.

I had a set of Goodyear WeatherReadys on another car once, but only had them six months before that car hit a deer and was totaled. Frankly I don't remember what they were like.
View Quote

We just got these on my wife’s 2018 Subaru Outback, we get plenty of snow where I live and they are fantastic.
If you go to simpletire.com and fill out the price match guarantee they will match Amazon and ship for free and they have a package deal for mount and balancing those tires at your preferred shop.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I was researching between the CrossClimate2s, General Altimax AW365 and the Nokian WR G4.  I decided go get the CrossClimate2s.

But of course discount tire's website wouldn't let me order it in the size I wanted for my car so I ended up ordering the Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires.
Love them!

But for my daughter's Subaru I am getting her CrossClimate2s or the WR G4 in runflat when her tires are due.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Putting cross climate 2 on my Lexus next week.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#6]
BRIDGESTONE TURANZA SERENITY PLUS

Link Posted: 12/4/2021 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I love my cc2s
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love my cc2s
View Quote

Leaning toward trying these.

What kind of vehicle do you have them on?
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

We just got these on my wife’s 2018 Subaru Outback, we get plenty of snow where I live and they are fantastic.
If you go to simpletire.com and fill out the price match guarantee they will match Amazon and ship for free and they have a package deal for mount and balancing those tires at your preferred shop.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/306437/A12665A5-C268-4DC2-9947-F84F41FB0215_jpe-2190153.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/306437/A12665A5-C268-4DC2-9947-F84F41FB0215_jpe-2190153.JPG

+1, we have the Wild Peaks on the wife's Pilot and I am putting them on my CRV.  They ride just as smooth as regular all seasons and they perform good so far in the snow.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Nissan R34 Skyline...

Nothing else measures up.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Cross climate 2  would be my choice. I use an UHP all season in the winter and Michelin is always a great choice.

Here is a in-depth review and the cross climate 2 is the overall winner.

9 of the BEST All Season / All Weather Tires for 2021
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 7:33:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Leaning toward trying these.

What kind of vehicle do you have them on?
View Quote

Rav4 Prime
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But of course discount tire's website wouldn't let me order it in the size I wanted for my car so I ended up ordering the Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires.
Love them!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Love them!

That's what I put on my AWD car too. Like them so far but I haven't driven in snow since buying them. Great in heavy rain.

Quoted:

My truck got these this year. As with the AS4s, I like them but haven't used them in the snow yet.

Which would be better for a Subaru Legacy? I guess that entirely depends on the driver. I might recommend one for a spirited driver who spends 99% of the time on pavement. The other for someone who uses their car for a camping and hunting rig.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Love them!

View Quote
just shop by size instead.
its not the size that is the issue.  its the speed rating.  retailers will only sell you the correct speed rating according to your manufacturer by default.  If you dont put it your car model then they will sell you whatever you ask for.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Love them!
View Quote

If you're ordering from Discount Tire, they have an exclusive Nokian model which looks pretty interesting.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nokian-tire-encompass-aw01
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought these for my wife's AWD Edge. They look very similar to the Goodyear Vector that were amazing in the rain and snow.

Michelin CrossClimate's
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Firestone Winterforce.

Have run theses on numerous cars and they are great. Both AWD and rear wheel drive.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:58:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks guys, decided to go with CrossClimate2s, if I can find them.

My preferred local tire place was unable to find them. Second choice of tire place said they can get them in by tomorrow, but I'm questioning if they were wrong because they never called me back to schedule the appointment after confirming the order like they said they would. We'll see if they call tomorrow. Pricey tires.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:45:26 AM EDT
[#20]
That's what I just bought for my Impreza commuter. I was hesitant because they're directional but the reviews seemed decent.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Got them put on yesterday. Observations up front after a day of use:

- Definitely feel grippier than the original Goodyear Assurance FuelMax. Coming out of the tire place I had to make a near u-turn on pavement and it was a very stark difference from what I was used to.
- Rubber feels very soft. Gotta be great in snow, but it's going to be interesting to see what kind of life I get out of them. Michelin warranties them for 60k. Two tire shops told me they were winter tires, but Michelin says all-season.
- I was a little concerned about road noise. They are definitely no louder than the original FuelMax tires, probably even quieter.
- The FuelMax tires were obviously focused on fuel efficiency. Rolling resistance was extremely low with those tires and I assumed going to a softer tire with a lot more grip I'd feel a lot more rolling resistance. But I'm really not noticing it at all. The Legacy really glides along easy, and I'm not noticing any less of that with the new CrossClimate2's.
- Lastly, I thought they might look odd with the unconventional tread pattern, but I actually really like the way they look. On a car like the Legacy, you really can only see the edge anyway.

Link Posted: 12/11/2021 2:25:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Got them put on yesterday. Observations up front after a day of use:

- Definitely feel grippier than the original Goodyear Assurance FuelMax. Coming out of the tire place I had to make a near u-turn on pavement and it was a very stark difference from what I was used to.
- Rubber feels very soft. Gotta be great in snow, but it's going to be interesting to see what kind of life I get out of them. Michelin warranties them for 60k. Two tire shops told me they were winter tires, but Michelin says all-season.
- I was a little concerned about road noise. They are definitely no louder than the original FuelMax tires, probably even quieter.
- The FuelMax tires were obviously focused on fuel efficiency. Rolling resistance was extremely low with those tires and I assumed going to a softer tire with a lot more grip I'd feel a lot more rolling resistance. But I'm really not noticing it at all. The Legacy really glides along easy, and I'm not noticing any less of that with the new CrossClimate2's.
- Lastly, I thought they might look odd with the unconventional tread pattern, but I actually really like the way they look. On a car like the Legacy, you really can only see the edge anyway.

https://i.imgur.com/5gFtK6F.jpg
View Quote

At 5500 miles, I have 8-9/32 left on mine, on my rav4 prime. Insane torque off the line and it will spin them on all but perfect pavement, even being awd. They are holding up great so far. In line with my lx25s on my mazda, which lastes 55k or so. I will know more in a couple months at the 10k mark, but so far at 6500mi Im 100% happy. I bought them because winter will be here soon, and I wanted my Prime to dead hook, and oem tires on it preclude that. These, on clean pavement, will 100% match car and driver's 5.4 second 0-60 in my hands. Amazing traction.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#23]
We put Goodyear Weather Ready Assurance tires on my wife's awd Lexus RX350.

It drives smooth and is quiet, and she said in a recent snowstorm they did very well driving on the freeway before it was plowed.  They also had good ratings on tirerack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top