User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Which did you like better, S2000 or BRZ?
View Quote

S2000, but I’m a redhead and a convertible is no good for me. I really really wanted to like the BRZ, I just didn’t.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Well it weighs 1,100 pounds more than my Porsche 914
View Quote

Wished I'd bought a 914 years ago when you could pick them up cheap. Would love to have one to go with my Cayman and 944S
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for the S2000.

To the guy who suggested 1st Gen NSX, YES but they haven't been in the OP's price range for over a decade.

Too bad, as the early NSX's are fun on the track and also great as a highway car.

Link Posted: 4/1/2022 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Miata.

I know some may laugh but my last 2 fun cars were new well into six figure sports cars. The Miata may be my favorite car ever. Fun. Responsive. Much less likely to die or get put in jail.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Cayman or a 996 gen 911
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Early 2010's Audi RS5.

It's like an M5 or M3 but without having to change the rod bearings every 50k and flies under the radar. (It's not a dude catcher because nobody knows wtf it is)  455hp,  It's just a nice car.  V8 without all the extra bullshit that spins 8500 rpms and sounds incredible.  It launches like a slingshot.  The only thing I do on high-mileage ones outside of normal maintenance, are replace the control arm bushings and the AC compressors tend to crap out around 80-100k miles.

Also, E46 M3 Fanboys are Ghey.  The E90 M3 was more better.

(An E90 M3 coupe would be my second choice if you can find one)

it's kind of like how your poor/euro immigrant grand parents act like they're poor but they have millions, but they don't want to let the world know they have money...but they still want really nice shit.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 1:30:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Early 2010's Audi RS5.

https://media.carsandbids.com/cdn-cgi/image/width=2080,quality=70/da4b9237bacccdf19c0760cab7aec4a8359010b0/photos/Cz7h9XC5O2-2.GviWePXqk.jpg?t=160917985428

It's like an M5 or M3 but without having to change the rod bearings every 50k and flies under the radar. (It's not a dude catcher because nobody knows wtf it is)  455hp,  It's just a nice car.  V8 without all the extra bullshit that spins 8500 rpms and sounds incredible.  It launches like a slingshot.  The only thing I do on high-mileage ones outside of normal maintenance, are replace the control arm bushings and the AC compressors tend to crap out around 80-100k miles.

Also, E46 M3 Fanboys are Ghey.  The E90 M3 was more better.

(An E90 M3 coupe would be my second choice if you can find one)

it's kind of like how your poor/euro immigrant grand parents act like they're poor but they have millions, but they don't want to let the world know they have money...but they still want really nice shit.
View Quote
Engine out service for timing chain tensioners on those?  I'll take 50k mile rod bearings that I can replace on my own for cheap, compared to a 5000 to 8500 bill to remove the motor to replace tensioners or what not.  Not sure if the RS5 has this issue but I briefly dabbled in B7 S4's lol.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an S5 with the 3.0T (supercharged v6) it’s a blast to drive, you can launch in awd and just hook up and go. Handles great and plenty of power with a stage 2 tune.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Love my c6 Vette.  Picking up a 1996 C4 Corvette with the LT4 and ZF 6 speed manual this afternoon.  Snagged it for $12k.  Very good shape 65k miles.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Why limit yourself to two?
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#11]
You can get a white Tesla and flex on the poors. ??
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want to be remotely competitive in autocross, look at what the winning cars are for each stock class at the most recent nationals.

If used, the posters here have listed a bunch of very expensive to maintain cars that will almost all be non-competitive in stock or slightly modified classes. There may be a class where prior gen Vettes are still competitive, but I haven't looked in 3-4 years.

New, you might want to look at an eco boost Mustang with whatever the latest Ford max handling package is. It has done very well in events like Car and Driver's Lightning Lap. The price point will be toward the low end of your range, leaving plenty of money for Ford-approved go fast mods as well.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#13]
FD rx7 single snail bridge port or one with a 20b
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I came to say MX5.

That said, C6 guys, how is the handling?  Never seen a vette in the wild go around a corner fast and stay in their lane, but that may just be OWG ML crisis drivers.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:28:10 PM EDT
[#15]
there is a Mclaren for sale in the EE
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:44:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks to the internet’s reach there aren’t any overlooked sports car gems anymore. The Lotus Elise was the last and I missed buying it. Now there is only a cycle of popular and unpopular cars.

Once most popular cars become unpopular they have become uncompetitive, which make them uninteresting to the internet cool kids that likely never tracked them. You will have to chase the cars of the cool kids and pay up to be competitive.

I won’t do that.

Cars are my happy place. I always have a project. Finding something to play with has been really hard the last few years. Most recently I ended up going back to a car from my youth, the Foxbody Mustang. I held my nose and bought one back then. I held my nose again.

I have been throwing parts at it from the Saleen, Ford GT40, and Maximum Motorsports catalogs, among others. I find it a satisfying project, but I have other vehicles to feed my need to carve turns while I try to turn it into something better. I’ve also watched the prices for parts for my build double and triple before the current inflation chaos, as other people began doing what I was doing.

Are there any obscure cars from your youth you could chase, before others start going after them?
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 6:45:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks to the internet’s reach there aren’t any overlooked sports car gems anymore. The Lotus Elise was the last and I missed buying it. Now there is only a cycle of popular and unpopular cars.

Once most popular cars become unpopular they have become uncompetitive, which make them uninteresting to the internet cool kids that likely never tracked them. You will have to chase the cars of the cool kids and pay up to be competitive.

I won’t do that.

Cars are my happy place. I always have a project. Finding something to play with has been really hard the last few years. Most recently I ended up going back to a car from my youth, the Foxbody Mustang. I held my nose and bought one back then. I held my nose again.

I have been throwing parts at it from the Saleen, Ford GT40, and Maximum Motorsports catalogs, among others. I find it a satisfying project, but I have other vehicles to feed my need to carve turns while I try to turn it into something better. I’ve also watched the prices for parts for my build double and triple before the current inflation chaos, as other people began doing what I was doing.

Are there any obscure cars from your youth you could chase, before others start going after them?
View Quote

Yeah prices suck, on everything! There are a ton of cars I’d love to have but just can’t afford, add to it I’d be scared as fuck to track my 70k car!
I’ve pretty much settled on a 17-18 mx5 RF. Right now there aren’t any good roll bar options to keep the top going up and down but I figure there will be eventually. Also there is a ton of aftermarket support and a really good net knowledge base. I can get into a hood used one for about 25k and mod the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah prices suck, on everything! There are a ton of cars I’d love to have but just can’t afford, add to it I’d be scared as fuck to track my 70k car!
I’ve pretty much settled on a 17-18 mx5 RF. Right now there aren’t any good roll bar options to keep the top going up and down but I figure there will be eventually. Also there is a ton of aftermarket support and a really good net knowledge base. I can get into a hood used one for about 25k and mod the hell out of it.
View Quote

Test drive as many of the contenders you can. Since it’s a toy it needs to feel special like one.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I came to say MX5.

That said, C6 guys, how is the handling?  Never seen a vette in the wild go around a corner fast and stay in their lane, but that may just be OWG ML crisis drivers.
View Quote

My C6 had GREAT handling once I put Michelin PS2's on them and got rid of the Goodyears....
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I came to say MX5.

View Quote

With good tires they handle great.  Extra points if you have the Z51 package.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just picked up arguably one of the best last analog M cars. 2007 BMW Z4 M coupe. It is the most rigid car they ever made, too. Rides on rails.

30k.

That said, I got it for that price because the S54 in it hasn't had the necessary rod bearings replaced and vanos bullet proofing, which will cost me 5k if I don't do it myself. You can find much more expensive examples with extremely low miles because the market is moving up on them. Only 1815 for USA.

Those are the only 2 "things" to watch for getting into an S54 car from that era. Otherwise it's a venerable and celebrated NA inline 6 high revving race engine.

Otherwise it has the E46 M3 drive train with CSL brakes and CSL fully hydraulic steering.

They're all manual, too.

Mine is even more "special" because it was specced with the premium package and carbon leather interior but WITHOUT the flip up nav system. Most of them had that, and, of course being first gen, it's garbage. Cars without it are desirable.

https://i.postimg.cc/4NCVjZLP/276051980_5315673635118138_7893421753336669698_n.jpg

View Quote

I came here to say z4.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I came here to say z4.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#23]
2001-2004 S2000
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#24]
You could get a brand new BMW 230i. They seem pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:33:55 PM EDT
[#25]
That money could buy a Camaro SS 1LE. Don't bash it til you try it...

C5Z is still the benchmark. They will come with expensive baggage if not already fixed though. Column lock, yellow valve springs, BCM issues, oil leaks.  C6Zs need valve guides.

GR Corolla would be a blast but realistically the dealers are going to stick obscene markups on them
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That money could buy a Camaro SS 1LE. Don't bash it til you try it...

C5Z is still the benchmark. They will come with expensive baggage if not already fixed though. Column lock, yellow valve springs, BCM issues, oil leaks.  C6Zs need valve guides.

GR Corolla would be a blast but realistically the dealers are going to stick obscene markups on them
View Quote

That mark up is true across the board unfortunately
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#27]
BRZ/GT86
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top