Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I would love to do another 78 trans am with the 403 olds engine
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

That thing is awful ugly.  Google says it's basically a mercedes, I have read a bit on the smaller 2000s mercedes like a c-class.  Big plus for them is that they look boring and nobody expects them to be fast.  

I'd probably go with a generic 2000s 3-series BMW over those - the bmw is more common/available/cheaper and has better suspension and brake options.
View Quote

Well, you did say you wanted "uncommon". Have to agree its homely though - front half doesn't match the back half at all. A lot of wasted potential in that car. They did make a SRT version with a AMG engine in it very briefly.

I'd still take a look at the 944 option. Crude, simple electronics compared to today, and the swap gets rid of the most expensive to fix bits.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#3]
How about a LS in one of these:

or

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Not all came with n55.  Also, straight 6 engines are heavy so a v6 or 4 cylinder is a huge benefit in the weight/balance category.  
Good suspension/brakes with lots of upgrade options and relatively small in size are the biggest plusses for me.  

A GR engine is a common v6 swap for transverse engine Toyotas, you’d want a 2gr-fe for the easiest swap as it will bolt up to your transmission.  Over 300hp for a basic swap and a few $k in engine upgrades for 400hp.  People are getting over 600hp on turbocharged stock engines with good reliability.  The AR also does well turbocharged if you do it “right”.  

I put an AR engine in my mr2.  It’s only around 230hp but it weighs under 2300lbs.  It runs and drives like the 2017 camry I took the engine from - reliable, starts easy, good gas mileage, wide/flat torque curve, awesome driveability, etc.  I’m also considering a GR engine swap or turbocharging the AR engine in it instead of getting another car.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335009/E58126FC-AFAF-488C-A3CD-33A24B8575F2_jpe-3251842.JPG
View Quote

Very nice.  A 230hp MR2 would indeed be plenty quick.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I see the pontiac Fiero pop up a couple times. If you get the cooler body style they can be pretty sharp little cars and there is a kit out there to do a supercharged 3800 from a bonneville SSEi. Build the shit out of that 3800 and you will have a little door slamming sleeper right there.

Supercharged Pontiac Fiero! (SUPER CLEAN!!!)
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 9:30:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By dtrosch:
How about a LS in one of these:
View Quote

I’d take a hardtop solstice in a heartbeat but they’re rare.  I’m going to find a convertible to look at and check them out…. I really don’t want a convertible but they seem to check every other box.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Porsche 914,

Or a old front wheel drive shitbox hatchback like a Kia or dihatsu - then drop a liter bike engine into the hatch and go Mid engine
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#8]

I'd take a hardtop solstice in a heartbeat but they're rare.  I'm going to find a convertible to look at and check them out . I really don't want a convertible but they seem to check every other box.
View Quote
Here is one on Autotrader...Kind of pricy though.  Your profile doesnt say where you are...

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicle/692977475?listingType=USED&makeCode=PONT&modelCode=SOLSTICE&newSearch=true&numRecords=25&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fcoupe%2Fpontiac%2Fsolstice&sortBy=relevance&vehicleStyleCode=COUPE&zip=22740&clickType=supplemental

Link Posted: 6/28/2024 1:03:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#10]

I like it
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 11:57:01 PM EDT
[#11]
You wanting to swap something in to make more power?

There's one I've always wanted to do: Toyota Cressida sedan. Totally casual looking RWD sedan. I've seen a few turbo sleepers and I've always thought it would be fun to build one.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd just go k-series
Rear Engine Integra DOMINATES v8’s on the STREET!
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Ford Fairmont as a sleeper.  It's on the Fox platform, which was used until 2004.  Plenty of room in the engine compartment for a V8.

Or if you want something better looking, get an SN95 Mustang.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Porsche 996/997 Audi, Honda, or LS, plenty of options and kits.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Looking for a project car to do an engine swap.  
Engine could be anything, maybe even a tesla motor swap.  

Give me some good ideas for a chassis that meets my requirements: not FWD, not convertible, modern chassis that has decent suspension/brakes/structure, and good parts availability.
Bonus points to cars that are small, quirky looking, usually not considered fast, or Japanese.  

I've ruled out too many cars to list for various reasons like: the cost of a chassis is too high, less than desirable brakes/suspension/structures, or poor availability(parts or entire cars).  

At this point I think my leading contender is a BMW 1-series - it checks all the blocks except it's not Japanese.  

Any other suggestions?  
View Quote

Lexus ES350 with AWD pre-2019
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Literbike engine in a Nissan Leaf.  Its the Mullet of cars, EV in the front and a party in the back!

This Nissan Leaf Is Hiding A 13,000 RPM Secret
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#17]

An rx8 with a ls swap just popped up for sale locally for very cheap.  Almost too cheap... car looks good in the pictures though.  I sent him a message asking for details on the engine, haven't heard back.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
RX-7 or RX-8 with a small block Ford. RX-8's can be had cheap

An rx8 with a ls swap just popped up for sale locally for very cheap.  Almost too cheap... car looks good in the pictures though.  I sent him a message asking for details on the engine, haven't heard back.  

This is exactly what I came in here to recommend. An RX-8 is a large NC Miata with more room for engines, tires, and ass.

A body in good shape with a Dead engine can be found anywhere for less than 3-5k.

A healthy N/A LS3 will MOVE that damn thing and you have a tone of options for suspension.

With a little modification, 305-315 width tires all around isn't out of the question for stupid levels of grip on mountain roads or road course work.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top