BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 350
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:14:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
Just right when this industry beats me into oblivion. It props me back up all within a period of a week.

Only for me to realize as I now stand on my 2 feet again to think that this.

This is just not worth it.

The only other industry I know of that is even more apocalyptic than this is carpentry.

I might jump ship entirely into something else.

You can be the best in the entire world and it would not matter.

This industry is like playing chess with only half the pieces while the other side is a full set.
View Quote

Just go.  Equipment, industrial, anything but automotive.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:44:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#2]
Originally Posted By 545days:

View Quote

I was really close to going building automation but the money scared me off. Dealership world is too good right now, maybe I need to look at elevators or something
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By maslin02:

I was really close to going building automation but the money scared me off. Dealership world is too good right now, maybe I need to look at elevators or something
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 545days:

It has its ups and downs.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

View Quote

You should be ashamed of yourself.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Also, because of a box build around the counterweight to house fire suppression, I can’t reach the other end of this harness.  
So….
Attachment Attached File

I’m going in through the cab.

I’d say FML, but it’s my last day.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

I’m sure they never hear that one.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TrashWrencher:

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:49:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lee-online] [#9]
We are still busy here, I just finished a rebuild that's kept me busy for the last 15 weeks. Already started on a powertrain in a 777 and getting ready to order parts for my next rebuild, another 836H.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Lee-online:
We are still busy here, I just finished a rebuild that's kept me busy for the last 15 weeks. Already started on a powertrain in a 777 and getting ready to order parts for my next rebuild, another 836H.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/101506/1000000679-3215955.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/101506/1000000687-3215957.jpg
View Quote

We pushed out a 627H rebuild back in March and we've got an 836H coming in the next few weeks for a rebuild as well. We're doing great if we can get 2 in in a year. Usually only get one.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#11]

We pushed out a 627H rebuild back in March and we've got an 836H coming in the next few weeks for a rebuild as well. We're doing great if we can get 2 in in a year. Usually only get one.
View Quote

I usually do 2 or 3 rebuilds a year and our shop does 7 to 10.  some are just a CPT and others like this 627F are a CPT+ that is basically a CMR. The large grey building in the top photo is our new paint shop. Its awesome and makes our job so much better getting everything painted before assembly.

This 627F is 1 of a dozen this customer owns and they are talking about rebuilding them all. They also have a bunch of H and K models that are not ready for a rebuild yet.
The only issue is this machine is 25 years old and a lot of parts have been discontinued.

Changed the cab from Mojave brown to black.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Other than helping with some finals and brakes on an 8T when I first started, I never get in on the rebuilds. They go to our lead tech and one of two guys that he likes. We just don't have the space to be able to knock out that many rebuilds and we really don't have that big of a market.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Other than helping with some finals and brakes on an 8T when I first started, I never get in on the rebuilds. They go to our lead tech and one of two guys that he likes. We just don't have the space to be able to knock out that many rebuilds and we really don't have that big of a market.
View Quote

Rebuilds always looked like they’d be kinda fun to do at least once. We had our KPZ 8T and BXD 836 rebuilt a couple years ago, and I went to the dealer a couple of times to check it out.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#14]
We used to only do 1 or 2 rebuilds a year but it seams like we do more every year.  My first CMR was a 773B. Most of my rebuilds have been military (SLEP) or 836.
Our shop has 12 bays and there are 4 of us who do rebuilds, sometimes with help from other techs who normally do the rentals.

This 627 came to us and another went to a neighboring cat dealer. That dealer has a rebuild facility that has 3 shifts and an amazing looking shop. We work in an 1940s shop that's been added onto a few times but is good enough. Parts issues has caused delays so we will both be finishing at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Rebuilds always looked like they’d be kinda fun to do at least once. We had our KPZ 8T and BXD 836 rebuilt a couple years ago, and I went to the dealer a couple of times to check it out.
View Quote

I did a KPZ rebuild the other year, also converted it to a LGP.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#16]
We've got 8 bays, but half of them were the truck shop when that was still running so the doors are short and narrow and is an addition to the original building but has very little head room. Pulling a cab on a 745 leaves about 1" of clearance.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#17]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/101506/d8t-3216086.jpg

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/101506/d8t-3216086.jpg

Ours leave unpainted since we don't have a paint facility. Some go out to someone that can paint them, but I always kinda cringe when we send out a half million dollar + rebuild wearing the same paint it came in with.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:52:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SecretSquirell] [#18]
Anyone run into trans oil making its way into the engine on a D7R? Haven't looked at it yet but the customer says the trans was low by 4 gallons and the engine was overfilled by 4. The only way I know would be going through the rear main, but engine oil pressure should be greater than flywheel lube. Unless the scavage side of the powertrain pump can't keep up and is overfilling the flywheel housing.

Edit: Oh, and it had a rebuild 65 hours ago.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:54:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Ours leave unpainted since we don't have a paint facility. Some go out to someone that can paint them, but I always kinda cringe when we send out a half million dollar + rebuild wearing the same paint it came in with.
View Quote

I agree, some customer don't want to spend $20K on a paint job. That D8 was painted by a local shop, it became an issue relying on them and that is why we just go a new 6 million dollar paint shop built behind our shop.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#20]

I agree, some customer don't want to spend $20K on a paint job. That D8 was painted by a local shop, it became an issue relying on them and that is why we just go a new 6 million dollar paint shop built behind our shop.
View All Quotes

It's not like the customer doesn't know it isn't getting painted so it shouldn't bother me. It'd be one thing if they were thinking it was getting fresh paint and they pick up the same old machine.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:03:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone run into trans oil making its way into the engine on a D7R? Haven't looked at it yet but the customer says the trans was low by 4 gallons and the engine was overfilled by 4. The only way I know would be going through the rear main, but engine oil pressure should be greater than flywheel lube. Unless the scavage side of the powertrain pump can't keep up and is overfilling the flywheel housing.

View Quote

I've seen outlet reliefs stuck or put in wrong and overfill the torque. Normally overheats or blows out the breather.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#22]

I've seen outlet reliefs stuck or put in wrong and overfill the torque. Normally overheats or blows out the breather.
View All Quotes

Didn't think of that. AFAIK they didn't complain of overheating or puking. Then again, my boss is a waterhead and doesn't always relay important info. I don't even know if I'm getting it yet anyway. We have to talk to the dealer who rebuilt it before we can start on it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#23]

It's not like the customer doesn't know it isn't getting painted so it shouldn't bother me. It'd be one thing if they were thinking it was getting fresh paint and they pick up the same old machine.
View Quote

We rebuild for waste management, they are counting every penny but even they want it painted and the cab to be like new. They stated if it looks new they get treated like its new.
We have a 982M being rebuilt, powertrain, all hydraulics, new emissions module, all new pins and bearings in hitch and loader. Not getting painted, operator wont have a clue how much time and money was just sunk into his machine.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

65 hours, pull the converter and put a rear main seal in it. Had one similar in a 637 years ago. Another company was doing the work and had it happen. Called us and we found they put the wrong rear main in. Can you check the part numbers of the seals they ordered for the rebuild?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:36:37 PM EDT
[#25]
We used to only do 1 or 2 rebuilds a year but it seams like we do more every year.  My first CMR was a 773B. Most of my rebuilds have been military (SLEP) or 836.
Our shop has 12 bays and there are 4 of us who do rebuilds, sometimes with help from other techs who normally do the rentals.

This 627 came to us and another went to a neighboring cat dealer. That dealer has a rebuild facility that has 3 shifts and an amazing looking shop. We work in an 1940s shop that's been added onto a few times but is good enough. Parts issues has caused delays so we will both be finishing at the same time.
View Quote

Damn, didn’t think about how smaller dealers did things. We’ve got 14 bays dedicated to mostly truck rebuilds. 793’s and similar. Then the occasional dozer and scraper cycle through. If I remember right we did 40+ rebuilds last year.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:51:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By cat-mechanic:

65 hours, pull the converter and put a rear main seal in it. Had one similar in a 637 years ago. Another company was doing the work and had it happen. Called us and we found they put the wrong rear main in. Can you check the part numbers of the seals they ordered for the rebuild?
View All Quotes

I dont know if I'll have access to see what they ordered. I'll see if my boss can get that info but I'm pretty certain he'll fuck that up. If I get the job hopefully the seal will have the number on it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Damn, didn’t think about how smaller dealers did things. We’ve got 14 bays dedicated to mostly truck rebuilds. 793’s and similar. Then the occasional dozer and scraper cycle through. If I remember right we did 40+ rebuilds last year.
View All Quotes

Our bays are so small that an 836 only has about 4" of clearance on each side.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:26:05 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

We do a lot of truck powertrains, A large portion are done in the field or at other branches.
I'm doing a powertrain on a 777, the largest we can economically haul, we do have up to 789, 992 and 6040.

My branch is in an area where we have a large diversity of equipment, mines, quarries, underground, landfills, logging, steelmills, construction, pipelines, railroad, military bases. All randomly showing up at different times.

In the middle of the state, we built a new facility for rebuilding gas compression engines like the G3600. That is a nice shop but too far from me.
Here is a G3616 that was hauled in for a rebuild.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

We can fit a 992 with full cab, a 777 with bed off and a 775 with the body pinned up but its tight.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:48:11 AM EDT
[#30]

We can fit a 992 with full cab, a 777 with bed off and a 775 with the body pinned up but its tight.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/101506/20230417_172754_resized-3216162.jpg
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/101506/20230417_172754_resized-3216162.jpg

Jelly
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I think ... I'm going to have to get my bachelors.

I feel like I have to be a engineer at this point.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:22:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#32]
Why ...

... WHY?!

Why would you make can communication lines. Go to a component that I cannot talk to ...

8 hours of total diag time only for the culprit to be somthing that could have been discovered in under 3 minutes if I could have talked to it.

AND YOU FUCKERS HAVE THE AUDASITY TO DENY MY STRAIGHT TIME CLAIM WHEN I HAVE A TECH CASE AND 5 PARAGRAPHS OF SHIT

GOD, FUCKING, DAMMIT.

Thank God I am not a Flat, You can never do what I do and make money in a dealer environment.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Customer brings in his 262 saying it pulls to the left. I grab the machine and see that it's leaning to the left a lot. Measure the tires and the left side are 3" shorter than the right. Did the math and in the length of one revolution, the left tires roll a foot less than the right. Gotta love paying $200/hr for someone to tell you your tires are too short.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Customer brings in his 262 saying it pulls to the left. I grab the machine and see that it's leaning to the left a lot. Measure the tires and the left side are 3" shorter than the right. Did the math and in the length of one revolution, the left tires roll a foot less than the right. Gotta love paying $200/hr for someone to tell you your tires are too short.
View Quote
That type of customer will come back in a few months with a short and tall in each side wondering why he has extreme tire wear and why there was a pop and one wheel quit pulling.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
That type of customer will come back in a few months with a short and tall in each side wondering why he has extreme tire wear and why there was a pop and one wheel quit pulling.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:

I had to explain to 2 different techs (one pretty well seasoned, the other is still an apprentice but he should know better) why I couldn't just put the small ones on the front and the tall ones on the back.

I even had to explain it to my boss, but he's about as dumb as a fence post and not nearly as useful.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#36]
I went through this a few years ago on a 980.  Cats spec was tires needed to be within 3% of each other on the same axle and within 4% between axles.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
Why ...

... WHY?!

Why would you make can communication lines. Go to a component that I cannot talk to ...

8 hours of total diag time only for the culprit to be somthing that could have been discovered in under 3 minutes if I could have talked to it.

AND YOU FUCKERS HAVE THE AUDASITY TO DENY MY STRAIGHT TIME CLAIM WHEN I HAVE A TECH CASE AND 5 PARAGRAPHS OF SHIT

GOD, FUCKING, DAMMIT.

Thank God I am not a Flat, You can never do what I do and make money in a dealer environment.
View Quote

I do what you do and make a lot of money, mostly on flat rate.

Working on cars is a game. You have to play the game well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

You also practice the dark arts, which is more profitable.  

I made some comments in a tech topics chat a few months ago that made it to high level management in Germany regarding GF documents.  There is a push to make GF documents great again.  

Heading to DFW in june for CDT finals.  I'm worried that I'm overconfident.  Everyone is extremely nervous about it.  I'm not.  Whatever.  Do the things they taught you and ya'll will be fine.  

Our dealer group was either merged, bought or fuck I don't know, but apparently we have a new owner, part owner or some other arrangement.  I'd just like some real benefits please and we've outgrown this facility and need a new one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:28:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#39]
Originally Posted By saturnstyl:

You also practice the dark arts, which is more profitable.  

I made some comments in a tech topics chat a few months ago that made it to high level management in Germany regarding GF documents.  There is a push to make GF documents great again.  

Heading to DFW in june for CDT finals.  I'm worried that I'm overconfident.  Everyone is extremely nervous about it.  I'm not.  Whatever.  Do the things they taught you and ya'll will be fine.  

Our dealer group was either merged, bought or fuck I don't know, but apparently we have a new owner, part owner or some other arrangement.  I'd just like some real benefits please and we've outgrown this facility and need a new one.
View Quote

Shit, do we work together? “Consultants” have been down our backs for weeks, GM is gone, others on the way out. Our real estate situation is an absolute joke, 2025 refresh is going to be rough.

Just give me old WIS back in general. GF documents included. I do like the title search, but I want to just jump into a group and find my stuff.

I got passed up for CDT for a kid that didn’t make it in the end. He was young and actually overconfident, but started at this shop a few months before I moved here. The more experienced guy we sent on the PC side did fine, nice black jacket and all. We’re currently without any CDTs, I’m sure they’ll be getting right on that
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:44:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#40]

View Quote

You can't if the manufacturer will not pay.

At this point the higher up in kia is trying to force me to abandon straight time.

I would not be surprised if I am only 1 of 5 kia techs in the entire Midwest region That still uses it at this point.

I know personally that my warranty claim Admin, who is in another state hates my guts. Straight time makes their life difficult.

Ford straight/M time is far better in comparison for warranty claims.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Just to reseal the oil pan.

Link Posted: 6/19/2024 1:24:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#42]
CDK  is down nationwide with a “cyber event”

It’s like the world is on fire. There is absolutely no backup system in place. I have them writing paper ROs, but getting that to parts and quoted and pulled isn’t possible.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#43]
CDK  is down nationwide with a “cyber event”

It’s like the world is on fire. There is absolutely no backup system in place. I have them writing paper ROs, but getting that to parts and quoted and pulled isn’t possible.
View Quote

I just came to post this. what a fucking disaster for dealers.

the dealers I buy from use ADP.

If most dealers are like the one I worked at the IT guy was also the maintenance man who took a networking class in nightschool.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 4:42:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 7:31:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#45]
Originally Posted By sheltot:
Automotive News story on the CDK cyberattack.
View Quote

Hit the top page of CNN as well. 15,000 dealers down

You think medical records are bad, wait till they hit bank wire data.

Nothing on our end is restored. You can’t open the application that opens the application, errors with a weird failed login attempt.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#46]
We are smacked by the CDK stuff.  

We had a 90% failure rate at the CDT test.  It was over the top, and unfair.  Out of 28 students, ONE fixed the powertrain bug.  Three were passed in total.  There was a triple misdirection and other stuff thrown at us which we couldn't overcome in 80 minutes.  I believe that when the failure rate is that high, it isn't a reflection on the students....  Its hard enough to document the process and repair a straightforward bug in that time frame.  So 25 will be retesting later, and hopefully they don't pull another stunt like this on us.  

I've been working on a highly modified 4x4 squared after it had been through many hands.  Charging issue and check engine light for minor evap leak.  I found an extra battery and a battery controller and called that company and figured that out, the minor evap leak was quite a bit more challenging.  I spent a few days on it.  I found three leaks, fixed those, and it would still fail evap leak test.  It has a second fuel tank and an external pump that takes the contents of the aux tank and sends it to the main tank via a switch in the console.  I was so frustrated I used forming gas to fill the main tank and went sniffing for a leak.  It leaks under vacuum but not pressure which made it even harder....  Turns out that the restriction in the fuel pump and lines is enough to not allow the tank to build vacuum and when the main tank is under vacuum the pressure between the two tanks tries to equalize.  The point was proven when I filled the main tank with forming gas and got a hit at the filler cap for the aux tank.  I simply put fuel in the aux tank, ran the pump a few seconds, and the system will now pass leak testing.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Making sure it doesn’t go to archive.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Making sure it doesn’t go to archive.
View Quote

Shouldn't you be in the parts slinger forum?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#49]

Shouldn't you be in the parts slinger forum?
View Quote

I can’t find it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Added a cart to the money train a couple weeks ago.

Page / 350
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top