User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 350
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 9:28:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Added a cart to the money train a couple weeks ago.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/20240606_153319-3234146.jpg
View Quote

Dang son, green is the right color.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By TrashWrencher:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TrashWrencher:
Added a cart to the money train a couple weeks ago.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/20240606_153319-3234146.jpg

Green is my color. Even wrapped my truck to match.

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 10:41:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#3]
Originally Posted By saturnstyl:
We are smacked by the CDK stuff.  

We had a 90% failure rate at the CDT test.  It was over the top, and unfair.  Out of 28 students, ONE fixed the powertrain bug.  Three were passed in total.  There was a triple misdirection and other stuff thrown at us which we couldn't overcome in 80 minutes.  I believe that when the failure rate is that high, it isn't a reflection on the students....  Its hard enough to document the process and repair a straightforward bug in that time frame.  So 25 will be retesting later, and hopefully they don't pull another stunt like this on us.  

I've been working on a highly modified 4x4 squared after it had been through many hands.  Charging issue and check engine light for minor evap leak.  I found an extra battery and a battery controller and called that company and figured that out, the minor evap leak was quite a bit more challenging.  I spent a few days on it.  I found three leaks, fixed those, and it would still fail evap leak test.  It has a second fuel tank and an external pump that takes the contents of the aux tank and sends it to the main tank via a switch in the console.  I was so frustrated I used forming gas to fill the main tank and went sniffing for a leak.  It leaks under vacuum but not pressure which made it even harder....  Turns out that the restriction in the fuel pump and lines is enough to not allow the tank to build vacuum and when the main tank is under vacuum the pressure between the two tanks tries to equalize.  The point was proven when I filled the main tank with forming gas and got a hit at the filler cap for the aux tank.  I simply put fuel in the aux tank, ran the pump a few seconds, and the system will now pass leak testing.
View Quote

Yikes and yikes.

We had two guys go through 5 or so years ago, one made it, the other didn’t. One prepared and generally took his job seriously, the other was the fast and loose 20 something hot shot. You can guess who made it. I’ve heard that they wanted to make it harder so it wasn’t just something you went through and completed. I never heard that from anyone, so no idea why it needed to be harder.

We’ve been down a tech or 3 for weeks, my guy is out until “maybe august”. The goal of me backing off real work and building these guys just keeps getting pushed back. I’ll take the money and keep running as long as I need to, but we’re really on the back foot just trying to keep up.

Then CDK happened

It’s been rough, our layout is tough on a good day and we really don’t have the right people in the right places. Familiarity is all that’s holding things together, so fixing the wrong people situation is on hold. I took off for Vegas for a long weekend, maybe it’ll be back on Monday.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Someone quoted a whole entire transmission replacement on a 2018 GLS550 with like 65k miles.  I dissented after reviewing the evidence.  

Attachment Attached File

An itty bitty hole in the tape, hidden as this part of the harness goes behind the top of the high pressure fuel pump and is not easy to get out.

Attachment Attached File

Zoom in on the hole, then take a 90 degree pick and open it up a bit more

Attachment Attached File

There is your boy.  Transmission CAN high line shorting to ground on the fuel pump crash plate.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Its becoming apparent that some engineer at mercedes designed things in such a way that they are easily modified.  The diesel engine in my car has a muffler on the output side of the turbo.  You can just remove four screws and one bolt, and the cap comes off without having to remove the part from the car or anything.  The insert for this muffler then falls out, you put it back together and you have free horsepower.  

Between the downpipe, the tune and this, the car is a freaking monster, and I have more stuff on the way to turn it up even more.  A euro manifold and intake pipe with specific holes welded over to smooth airflow and remove restriction.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Someone quoted a whole entire transmission replacement on a 2018 GLS550 with like 65k miles.  I dissented after reviewing the evidence.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/81708/20240701_104631_jpg-3255667.JPG
An itty bitty hole in the tape, hidden as this part of the harness goes behind the top of the high pressure fuel pump and is not easy to get out.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/81708/20240701_105013_jpg-3255668.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/81708/20240701_105224_jpg-3255669.JPG
There is your boy.  Transmission CAN high line shorting to ground on the fuel pump crash plate.
View Quote

I had a TDI that would stall out at random, faults were injector imbalance. you'd accelerate just right and it was lights out. then it would re-start right away.

harness had rubbed through on the fuel injector wire just a pin size where the harness was tucked behind the oil filter canister.

I didn't find it till after I replaced the injector, then got mad when it obviously didn't work, took out the whole harness and inspected it inch by inch.

Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#7]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/81708/20240701_104631_jpg-3255667.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/81708/20240701_105013_jpg-3255668.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/81708/20240701_105224_jpg-3255669.JPG
View Quote

You’d think they would figure out wires against sharp brackets don’t work.

Sprinter 642s wear through under the turbo and set boost regulator faults, unwrapped wire pressed against the coarse intake manifold. 654 all the wires run against the CDI bracket and chafe. 907 chassis both door harnesses run right against a rough cut out in the A pillar and take down CAN. All the problems on 274/276/278 rubbing on the back of the engine. Etc etc etc

Job security
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#8]
The sheer incompetence of people is so disturbing.  I don't think I'm asking much to expect the same level of service I give others.  Its like the bare minimum.  Yet I am regularly disappointed and today really took the cake.  I'm not just disappointed but completely and totally unable to understand just how people can not care so much, as they have in my opinion destroyed my brand new boat that has 2 hours on the motor.  

The delivery was not satisfactory.  Dealer prep non existent.  Problems took forever to address, boat was picked up and taken to the dealer 1.5 hours away, was there for almost a month, I was not given any updates, my concerns were not addressed fully and resolved, and when I went to pick it up they had left the drain plug installed and it filled up with rain water.  Like completely to the top.  The fuel tank, electronics, batteries, chargers, wiring, power pole pumps have been sitting submerged for who knows how long?  

Why is service so fucking bad EVERYWHERE?
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Because no one gives a fuck and the people who do are over worked.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#10]
@m35ben
@Stutzmech

been trying to dick with my 1978 Lincolns 460 AC, just trying to see if it holds vacuum for now

trying to find adapters for R12 to 134

the large line fitting is fine yet the small tube is tiny and i cannot find any adaptors for it, it only holds a standard Schrader valve, the whole fitting is barely 3/8 in diameter, where do a find a adapter for something this tiny

also the Schrader valve is stuck in the POA pipe so i have to deal with that later

Link Posted: Yesterday 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
@m35ben
@Stutzmech

been trying to dick with my 1978 Lincolns 460 AC, just trying to see if it holds vacuum for now

trying to find adapters for R12 to 134

the large line fitting is fine yet the small tube is tiny and i cannot find any adaptors for it, it only holds a standard Schrader valve, the whole fitting is barely 3/8 in diameter, where do a find a adapter for something this tiny

also the Schrader valve is stuck in the POA pipe so i have to deal with that later

View Quote

Could you pull the 2 lines w/ the service ports and have an a/c shop make them but with 134 ports?
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Could you pull the 2 lines w/ the service ports and have an a/c shop make them but with 134 ports?
View Quote

Probably, also forgot to mention that the high side has no external threads threads on the fitting itself
Page / 350
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top