Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2012 4:11:46 PM EDT
Thinking about ideas for a backyard fence for a 1 acre property.  Only want to fence a small portion on the back side.  
I like the looks of split rail fence, kinda like this one, but can wire be used also?
Something to keep the dog in.

Found another picture, using wire

Any tips or suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#1]
OST for pic. Will upload in a bit and it will give you an idea.
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#2]
How big of a dog and are there any purposes other than keeping a dog in?  Just to keep a dog in I think there are much easier(and cheaper) solutions such as a wireless/in-ground boundary system such as a Petsafe or similar, fences are a pain to install and a pain to maintain....I'm in the process of trying to either repair/replace/remove most of the fence around my 4-ish acre pasture and I can't wait for it to be done.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes there are other reasons besides keeping a (small) dog in a certain area.  Keeping trespassers from approaching the back of the house, and keeping stray animals from getting up close to the house where small kids may be playing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I am looking for a similar fence and was looking at using black colored creosote fence made with 6x6 post and turning 4x4s at an angle for rails to give a split rail look.  I was then thinking of putting a black colored wire on the bottom portion but I have not finalized it yet.  Those split rail fences tend to rot in the ground in my area fairly fast.
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
That's what I use.  And I use the black colored wire fence which is nearly invisible compared to the bare metal which rusts.

Get locust post if you can.  Last forever.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top