Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2014 6:46:43 PM EDT
The strainer in the bath tub came off.  Turns out the "cross hairs" that secure the screw to the assembly rotted away, so the strainer isn't attached anymore.

Would something like this work as a replacement?  IOW, are drain openings a standard size?  House was built in late 2005.

Also, I believe a standard tub drain wrench won't work remove the existing (broken) drain since the cross hairs are missing.  Is a drain key the proper tool to remove the existing part?

Anything special I need to know when reassembling?  I plan on using pipe dope on the threads and putty under the flange.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#1]
When the cross portion of the drain flange is gone, it becomes more of a "whatever you have to do" situation.

Do you have access to the underside of the tub?

If not, again, whatever tool works, is the one to use, however, more often then not, I end up carefully cutting the old flange out.

No on the pipe dope, yes on the putty.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When the cross portion of the drain flange is gone, it becomes more of a "whatever you have to do" situation.

Do you have access to the underside of the tub?

If not, again, whatever tool works, is the one to use, however, more often then not, I end up carefully cutting the old flange out.

No on the pipe dope, yes on the putty.
View Quote

I do not have access to the underside of the tub.

What about pipe tape on the threads?  Or is that not needed either?
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#3]
no tape either, there is a rubber gasket, and sometimes a paper gasket, that is sandwiched between the drain shoe, and the bottom of the tub.

except I prefer to use one of these to install the new one, as opposed to a pair of pliers,

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried the regular drain wrench and it tore off the remaining nubs of the "cross hairs".   FML.  

Thanks for the help thus far, Jake.  I'll update once I get a drain key or similar tool.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 7:28:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I tried the regular drain wrench and it tore off the remaining nubs of the "cross hairs".   FML.  

Thanks for the help thus far, Jake.  I'll update once I get a drain key or similar tool.
View Quote

Did you lube the drain before trying to remove it?  Like soak it with WD40/Liquid Wrench/Ballistol
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Did you lube the drain before trying to remove it?  Like soak it with WD40/Liquid Wrench/Ballistol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#7]
This thread reminded me of a pet peeve of mine - building a house without access to the plumbing is STUPID.  I would guess the biggest threat to most homes comes from water - supply and waste.  To build a house without the ability to access these systems is, well,... I already said it once.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Use a hacksaw blade to cut the drain out.  Go slowly and do not over cut or you may damage the threads on the pipe.  You will probably need to make 2 to 3 cuts before you can remove the drain.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This thread reminded me of a pet peeve of mine - building a house without access to the plumbing is STUPID.  I would guess the biggest threat to most homes comes from water - supply and waste.  To build a house without the ability to access these systems is, well,... I already said it once.
View Quote

Never again will I buy a house with a sheetrocked basement ceiling.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Got it done today.  The drain key I ordered showed up in the mail yesterday.  The drain key, some boiling water to heat up the solidified putty, and a 15" crescent wrench got it done.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top