Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2020 10:53:05 AM EDT
I have a couple of 1/4" thick 6" x 14" aluminum plates I want to cut out a pattern on.  I have a fully equipped wood shop but no real metal working tools.  Band Saw is what I would use if it were wood but not sure about trying to cut aluminum plate on it or if it could be done what size and tpi blade would be used.

any advise?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Bandsaw would my go to or scroll if it's a tight design.

There are many multi use blades, I'd see what I have VS what was recommend on line.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Just pretend its wood.
All quality wood cutting tools work - just feed slowly to keep the blade cool,
and make sure that the blade has a good set to the teeth, so that the cut is
wider than the blade. Binding, friction, aluminium transfer to the blade is a thing.
Lubricate with parrafin, as in hold a candle onto the blade periodically.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Band saw is the simple answer.

Your next question will be, "How do I smooth the edges of this roughly cut aluminum plate?"
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Router with wood working carbide bits.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your next question will be, "How do I smooth the edges of this roughly cut aluminum plate?"
View Quote

Well first I'll try my Jet oscillating spindle sander, then a bunch of files I guess.

Not sure which blade on my bandsaw to use.  I have 1/4" 1/2" and 3/4" blades.  All Timber Wolf 105" blades for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well first I'll try my Jet oscillating spindle sander, then a bunch of files I guess.

Not sure which blade on my bandsaw to use.  I have 1/4" 1/2" and 3/4" blades.  All Timber Wolf 105" blades for what it's worth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is more about TPI tan the thickness of the blade unless you are trying to use it like a scroll saw.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It is more about TPI tan the thickness of the blade unless you are trying to use it like a scroll saw.
View Quote

^ This.  Any tight turns?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a couple of 1/4" thick 6" x 14" aluminum plates I want to cut out a pattern on.  I have a fully equipped wood shop but no real metal working tools.  Band Saw is what I would use if it were wood but not sure about trying to cut aluminum plate on it or if it could be done what size and tpi blade would be used.

any advise?
View Quote

Use the correct blade and a bandsaw it probably the best way to do it
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Ideally you want 3-4 teeth on the material.  So 12-16 teeth per inch.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

OK, that helps out a lot.  None of my blades have that many tpi.  More like 4-7 between the sizes I have on hand.  

thanks
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want enough teeth that there are at least 2 and 3 is better in the material.
So 4 teeth per inch or a little higher.

Aluminum is easy to cut and does not need much lubrication on a bandsaw.

Avoid cutting to slowly.
That makes extra heat.

Try to avid breathing in powdered aluminum also.

Unless you need tih=tgheter turns a 1/2 inch is good on width.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#12]
You have a DW 715 miter saw right?  Use that to cut to rough length.  Use a jigsaw to cut the pattern.  You'll probably want to temporarily glue/clamp it to a piece of plywood.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Worked with 1/4” aluminum a lot in a welding shop making outboard engine skegs. Used a band saw for the straight cuts and a hand jigsaw with metal rated blades for the curved cuts. Aluminum rated disc side grinder for smoothing and shaping the cut edge.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Look for Aluma-Cut files.  They are specially designed for aluminum.  Regular files clog and get a surface coating of aluminum that causes additional clogging.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:23:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

On 1/4" thick aluminum?  That will be rough on the bit and the bearings.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
And if you want a smoother cut, you can use a blade with more teeth per inch. The higher tooth count will make cutting slower but will produce a better finish. Get a decent blade for cutting metal and use a lube/cutting fluid for the type of material. Also take your time and don't rush trying to make your cuts. Since you are working with 1/4" thick material, I would not mess with a router. Yes people use routers all the time for milling out 80% receivers but they are using a jig and end mill cutters. I grew up with both Grampa and Dad being carpenters and they made plenty of furniture and cabinets and I am a retired machinist.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Jig saw, 14tpi blade. Wear ear plugs, use wd-40 as lube (a little goes a long way). Think of it as a hardwood and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#18]
I have used a carbide tipped blade on my delta 14” bandsaw to cut 1/2” Aluminum.  3/4” - 3 tpi.  
I keep a carbide tipped bandsaw blade for resawing wood anyways
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it would also make an unnecessarily wide cut, which would also affect the accuracy of the cut
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cutting+aluminum+with+router+
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cutting+aluminum+with+router+
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Look for Aluma-Cut files.  They are specially designed for aluminum.  Regular files clog and get a surface coating of aluminum that causes additional clogging.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to chalk the saw/file to limit sticking.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#24]
thanks everybody.  Think I am going to get a sacrificial blade for my bandsaw and give it a go.  Little leery of using my router table and fucking up my CMT bits.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Even a cheap High Speed Steel blade will be fine if it has the correct teeth per inch for the material your are cutting. Also use some type of cutting fluid. used motor oil will work for aluminum if that's all you have, it just makes a mess. Just use a small brush and to apply it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#26]
You can use a skill saw or a chop saw radial arm saw carbide blade is better.

Normally you'd want a course pitch unless it's a super thin material.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Even a cheap High Speed Steel blade will be fine if it has the correct teeth per inch for the material your are cutting. Also use some type of cutting fluid. used motor oil will work for aluminum if that's all you have, it just makes a mess. Just use a small brush and to apply it.
View Quote

Way to heavy for aluminum.

There are plenty of water based lubes available.

Biggest problem become drying up the cutting hardware.
WD-40 is your friend.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

WD-40 is your friend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WD-40 is your friend.

Neither motor oil or WD-40 make good cutting fluids, motor oils smoke point is too low and WD doesn't have much in it for lubrication at all. Mineral spirits is a better cutting fluid for aluminum than either of those. On a band saw we use a wax stick product and apply it to the blade periodically, much less messy than liquids.

OP can get by just fine on a band saw with a HSS blade, use at least a 12 TPI for 1/4" unless you have a lot of cuts to make - go with a bi-metal blade in that case. The width of the blade should be determined by how tight any contours are. You can get by with a wider blade if you can segment the contours into shorter straight cuts.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#29]
They make wax lube for sawing. Works good on aluminum at our shop
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#30]
We use a modified wood saw to cut alum and steel. steel we run a fine tooth blade and basically friction cut, blade speed is seriously high. run a skip tooth coarse blade for alum. both work great. just go slow and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Neither motor oil or WD-40 make good cutting fluids, motor oils smoke point is too low and WD doesn't have much in it for lubrication at all. Mineral spirits is a better cutting fluid for aluminum than either of those. On a band saw we use a wax stick product and apply it to the blade periodically, much less messy than liquids.

OP can get by just fine on a band saw with a HSS blade, use at least a 12 TPI for 1/4" unless you have a lot of cuts to make - go with a bi-metal blade in that case. The width of the blade should be determined by how tight any contours are. You can get by with a wider blade if you can segment the contours into shorter straight cuts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WD-40 is your friend.

The solvent in WD-40 is what you are taking advantage of.
For the most part NO LUBRICANT is needed so almost anything light weight works adequately.

Buy a quart of concentrate and mix it up with water.
I do this often enough I have a number of smaller submersion pumps to place in a 5 gallon bucket
and have someone direct a thin stream right at the cutting point.

Generally do it outside and rarely bother collecting the cutting fluid.
Just us it 'one shot.'

I did it on a sliding table stone saw using a carbide blade once.
Larger saw designed to cut large format granite tiles.
Smaller diameter carbide blade, plenty of water based cut lube.
Wear a rain poncho.
The stuff will get everywhere.
I even used a full face mask it was spraying around so much.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top