Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2007 11:53:28 PM EDT
I am looking to replace the origional double-hung windows in my 1924 Dutch colonial home here in Sioux City, Iowa. I am going to do the second story first with 12 windows this spring. All windows upstairs will be white with full screens.

We have a Home Depot and Lowe's here in Sioux City. Lowes has the ThermaStar by Pella and Home Depot has the American Craftsman windows. I am leaning toward the Series 8500 ACs.

I have heard the ThermaStars are not real Pella windows, and the American Craftsman are sturdier. They will be about $200 each either way if I install them.

Anyone here go through this process?
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 8:30:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't speak for the American Craftsman windows but the Pella windows are junk.  I put four of them in my house and have regretted it ever since.  The locks are flimsy and weak.  The overall quality is poor.  All the rest of the windows in my house are Croft and I like them a lot better.

Stay away from the Pella IMO.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Open you phonebook and look for window manufacturers.  Better quality and cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Open you phonebook and look for window manufacturers.  Better quality and cheaper.

Do you mean buy them direct from the manufacturer?  If so, how much of a savings are you seeing?
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#4]
There are literally tons of manufacturers of windows.  Lots of "ma and pa" shops that make, build, and furnish windows.  The bulk of my business in the past has been selling plastic to window manufacturers.

With the smaller shops they will often come fit the window to the opening available (if you live in Texas, they brick around the window surround, making it a bitch to install a new window) and will build the window to whatever specs you want.

The best quality windows I've ever seen were from a small shop I sell to out in the middle of nowhere.  For what you pay from the box stores, you can buy a nice set of windows from a shop that ONLY builds and installs windows, get professional installation assistance and someone that will more than likely stand behind their products.

I have known some looney businessmen/women, but they are found in all sectors.  Check out the internet for people who may have bought windows from the smaller shops, or ask for references and contacts of people who have their windows.

Be sure to do your research on what you want and what is available.  Remember, an informed consumer is a good consumer.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top