BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 3:13:16 PM EDT

click here:
http://www.amazon.com/2x4basics-14429-Workbench-Shelving-Storage/dp/B00006RGKY

scroll down to see other pics on that page, and also here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B00006RGKY/
2nd pic in the gallery above is a Dillon reloading station.

(i've heard these workbench leg kits may now also be sold at HD or Lowes).

bench top shown below is 3/4" AC plywood with a couple of coats of polyurethane.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]
nice setup on the bench ,, i see that your saw is down i use a Husky myself . also it good to see that you keep a clean work area
TS2
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember having a steel leg kit on a table like that in my room as a kid.  I used to build big models.

The legs are resin, not steel?

Whats the overall confidence factor?

Looks good so far.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The legs are resin, not steel?
Whats the overall confidence factor?

the legs are fiber-reinforced resin.  they are hella-strong.

the resultant bench is very sturdy and of course it is no machinist's or toolmakers bench but it is good to go for most any household project.   if you wanted to spend the time or money you could laminate up or purchase a proper benchtop and there would be no issue mating it with these legs.

check out the customer reviews section on Amazon as well.
http://www.amazon.com/2x4basics-14429-Workbench-Shelving-Storage/product-reviews/B00006RGKY/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_summary

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:15:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag...Been looking for something like this...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:50:59 AM EDT
[#5]

i rec'd an IM about this post and i just want to clarify one thing...

the kit includes the legs and shelf brackets.  BUT the final dimensions of the bench are up to you –– you can make it any length and any width you want.  my bench shown above is 8 feet long and 3 feet deep.  IMHO if the bench is any deeper you will have trouble reaching stuff at the back of the bench.  but if you have a 7 foot wide opening, all you need to do is cut down the 8 foot long 2x4's by a foot, and you'll end up with a 7 foot long bench.  

you can also make various combinations of shelves in the bottom section; i chose to leave this open so i could fit some big stuff down there like my pancake air compressor.

pics below are from the amazon web page and the Finley web site.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:09:32 AM EDT
[#6]
All the benches look great, Gotta ask has anybody use their vise for anything heavy duty,  can the legs be bolted to the floor or is their a flat side that will let you anchor the legs as well as the side frame to the wall.  I'm thinking of building a 5 foot by 30 inch table with a vise for gunsmithing?  Will these be sturdy enough?

Thanks Mike
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:19:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I like  mdf,  here that is about $30 per sheet. still gets pretty expensive to build your own because of the wood costs. I just built one but its empty under the bottom so I can sit in a high chair to work
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:50:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
All the benches look great, Gotta ask has anybody use their vise for anything heavy duty,  can the legs be bolted to the floor or is their a flat side that will let you anchor the legs as well as the side frame to the wall.  I'm thinking of building a 5 foot by 30 inch table with a vise for gunsmithing?  Will these be sturdy enough?  Thanks Mike

mike,
the resulting bench is plenty sturdy to mount a vise on.  below are a couple of pics of my setup.   i just checked my bench, there is a flat bottom to each leg, about 1/4" thick, which would allow you to pin the bench down if so desired (using redhead anchors or similar).  you could also attach the bench to a wall without issue.  even so, my freestanding bench is very sturdy.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought one of thse awhile back but have yet to build it. I did some research and lots of great reviews on this kit.
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I have 2, one for reloading, drill press, a vise, and my scroll saw, another for my lathe.  Couldn't be happier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top