Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2021 9:56:20 AM EDT
I just pulled the trigger on a refurb Kitchenaid bowl lift 6 qt. mixer. Their website has a silver colored model listed for $199.99 and the other colors ranging from $259.99 to $349.99. The only problem was when I clicked "add to cart" the price for the silver model became $249.99 so I called CS. The girl that answered said she'd report the issue and offered to take my order at the $199.99 price. She asked what color I wanted & I told her that all the other colors on the site cost more but I'd like a gloss black one if she gave it to me for the $199.99 price. That's what she did. I'd recommend the same strategy for anyone considering buy a mixer. This particular model is a 28 lb. beast of a mixer that sells for $529.99 new on Amazon. The refurb warranty is one year and can be returned within 30 days for a refund.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a beast, a decent light duty mixer.

A beast can knead 55% hydration dough for 10 minutes without requiring gear replacement.

Sounds like an excellent deal, though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Calling it a beast was mostly intended to call attention to it's place in the Kitchenaid stand mixer line up. I agree that it's not in the same league as dedicated dough mixers. I think it'll do just fine with a two kilo load of 70% hydration dough.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think it'll do just fine with a two kilo load of 70% hydration dough.
View Quote

If you don't have one get a Dough Whisk. Use that by hand  to get the dough to come together. Then put the hook on the mixer to kneed.

Link Posted: 10/23/2021 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn, them bitches be expensive!
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Note: Those do not fit under some cabinets sitting on a countertop.

Also they are not a as tough as you would think, the gears are not super strong. I have one that has been used pretty gently and fairly infrequently and it is starting to act like it is starting to fail.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not, those do not fit under some cabinets sitting on a countertop.

Also they are not a as tough as you would think, the gears are not super strong. I have one that has been used pretty gently and fairly infrequently and it is starting to act like it is starting to fail.
View Quote

The failure point is the cheap to replace weak link that will break before the expensive bits do. You can buy replacement one's easily and replacing them isn't hard to do.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 3:15:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The failure point is the cheap to replace weak link that will break before the expensive bits do. You can buy replacement one's easily and replacing them isn't hard to do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not, those do not fit under some cabinets sitting on a countertop.

I 100% agree, but for that kind of money, I feel I should get more than 20 1Kg loaves over 2 year out of it before it fails.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Been there, done that.

I bought a Haussler spiral mixer for dough, the Kitchen Aid does the lighter duty tasks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Been there, done that.

I bought a Haussler spiral mixer for dough, the Kitchen Aid does the lighter duty tasks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been there, done that.

I just looked those up. For $2500 and up I think I'll run the kitchenaid for a while and replace the $20 sacrificial gear when it breaks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Find an Ankarsrum Assistant.  Awesome bread dough mixed, bit more expensive than the KA, but it's well worth it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Find an Ankarsrum Assistant.  Awesome bread dough mixed, bit more expensive than the KA, but it's well worth it.
View Quote
+1 on the Assistant. I had one but gave it to my MIL when we got the Haussler.

The Assistant never felt like it was struggling, never sounded like it was on the verge of stripping gear teeth. It wasn't the best at kneading as fairly often a big lump of dough would go round and round with the spring loaded roller just riding over the top. I experimented with the scraper in and out, varied the position of the roller. Most times I would just stand by the mixer and manually mash the dough with the roller with each revolution.

Quality machine.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#12]
FWIW I run my KA Pro600 mixer we procured in 2010 really hard. I make homemade egg noodles in it (mix the dough) which is a really, really low hydration dough. Plus a lot of baking of breads and pastries. My wife made/sold cakes for several years and used it to make her own buttercream (really hard on a mixer because of the load at high speed).

Every few years I dismantle the gearbox, clean old grease out and lubricate with new grease. So far zero issues and no signs of wear on any gears. IIRC, it does not have any plastic gears but I can't recall for sure.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 11:42:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I just looked those up. For $2500 and up I think I'll run the kitchenaid for a while and replace the $20 sacrificial gear when it breaks.
View Quote
for that kind of money you can find a 10 qt hobart
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got one of the bowl lift and it is one of my most valuable kitchen tools. I have the meat grinder and pasta roller attachments as well, which work great. It actually permanently sits on my counter, I use it so much its not worth heaving that heavy thing around more than I have to lol.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#15]
The bowl lift commercial models are a pain in the balls to use.  Tilt mixer is more better.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The bowl lift commercial models are a pain in the balls to use.  Tilt mixer is more better.
View Quote

I think the tilt models have a reputation of not holding up as well as the bowl lift type.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think the tilt models have a reputation of not holding up as well as the bowl lift type.
View Quote
The ones with the bad rep had plastic gears. Some were recalled.

Mine is an old one and has metal gears.  I have used it extensively to mix bread doughs, run a meat grinder, and pasta attachments.

Bad rep came from being cheap with production, and it probably crossed the lineup of all models. This probably coincided with a change from US production to overseas.

There are a lot of different price points due to gearbox and motor ratings.  When I picked mine, they all looked the same, except for the wattage rating.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#18]
That is true, we have one at work that must be 20 years old and it was all they used before they got a big Hobart. In fact, when one of the Chefs broke the Hobart I had to use the Kitchenaid and batch everything out for two weeks until they got it fixed. The old girl did just fine though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Chinese stand mixer, the gear mechanism is designed & built to last about 2 years  of lite use.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Mine is an old one and has metal gears.  I have used it extensively to mix bread doughs, run a meat grinder, and pasta attachments.  

Bad rep came from being cheap with production, and it probably crossed the lineup of all models. This probably coincided with a change from US production to overseas.

There are a lot of different price points due to gearbox and motor ratings.  When I picked mine, they all looked the same, except for the wattage rating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, that probably explains it. I will say the tilts are a bit easier to put attachments on and off.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#22]
My daughter bought the mint green one. She uses it so much we just leave it on the counter like one poster above, does.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 7:27:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not a beast, a decent light duty mixer.

A beast can knead 55% hydration dough for 10 minutes without requiring gear replacement.

Sounds like an excellent deal, though.
View Quote

I'm not used to doing the math, but let's see... I generally do 2 loaves at a time, so I'm putting in 968 grams of flour and 644 grams of water, whatever percent that is.  I generally let it beat for 5+ minutes per batch.   I do single batches quite regularly, and at times do two batches back-to-back.  My Kitchenaid 600 series gets warm, but has never had trouble doing that.  I'm guessing by the $529 price point OP is quoting that he is getting a 600 series as well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I use my KA pro(Costco) pretty frequently, mostly pizza dough and grinding meat for burgers.

It’s been trouble free
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Bought a KA Refurb Stand Mixer Pro 6Qt in 2007 for $249. Have quite a few attachments for it, like pasta maker, etc. It's still working great. I'm sure some day I will need to replace the gears, but seems like an easy job.

Good luck, OP. Good Deal. My refurb warranty was the same as NIB was.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm not used to doing the math, but let's see... I generally do 2 loaves at a time, so I'm putting in 968 grams of flour and 644 grams of water, whatever percent that is.  I generally let it beat for 5+ minutes per batch.   I do single batches quite regularly, and at times do two batches back-to-back.  My Kitchenaid 600 series gets warm, but has never had trouble doing that.  I'm guessing by the $529 price point OP is quoting that he is getting a 600 series as well.
View Quote

Yes, it’s a 600 series. It came yesterday and it looks brand new.
Your hydration is about 66.5%.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:40:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Christmas 2019 on amazon I picked up a nib lift bowl kitchenaid professional HD series 5qt stand mixer for $211.14 shipped.

I figured for the price I cant beat it, at the time before the sale price it was a $500-$600 mixer. I double checked to be sure it was not a refurb, and it was not, its was a NIB one.

Link Posted: 10/29/2021 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Good deal
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Wheres a good place to get attachments, as well as are there any after market attachments that work as good as or better than kitchenaid?
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Wife said Sam's is gonna have it for $269 starting Nov 1.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Giving it a whirl today for some bread loaves.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#34]
I bought the refurb KP26M1 a year ago, use it all the time. good choice.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#35]
My biggest problem right now is I am having great success on my keto/low carb diet.

Now that it is getting cooler I don't mind making a loaf or two every now and then to warm up the kitchen.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#36]
My wife stole mine in the divorce.  Bitch.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My wife stole mine in the divorce.  Bitch.
View Quote
My ex took the tilt head KA mixer......  I should thank her, Keto is working out well for me.....
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Wife said Sam's is gonna have it for $269 starting Nov 1.
View Quote

The holiday sale flyer says it'll ( the professional 5 plus) be $259 for a few days starting November 6th. It'll sellout fast. Kitchenaid's website just had the professional 5 for
$219.99, brand new in limited colors.  The one from Sam's has an additional 3 qt. SS bowl, the one from Kitchenaid does not. I returned the refurbed pro 600 on their nickle and ordered the new pro 5 & used the 10% off coupon code I got from buying the refurb to get another $22 off. The out the door price for the new one was $217.29 which includes the 9.75% Tennessee sales tax.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Kitchenaid has a commercial stand mixer that is a beast. I have one and can highly recommend it. I sold my Hobart 10 qt after I got the Kitchenaid. Model 8990,  NSF approved. A little pricey but a buy once, cry once purchase.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#40]
I wonder if the all-metal gears in that model would fit in the consumer branded model. Is the casing the same?
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 1:19:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I wonder if the all-metal gears in that model would fit in the consumer branded model. Is the casing the same?
View Quote
It appears to be. I believe it has higher horsepower, though. I'll look it up.
eta: same hp
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#42]
I used mine a few days ago to mix a chocolate cake batter using the wire whisk. Not much of a challenge for the mixer although I did have to scrape the side of the bowl with a silicone spatula. The main advantage is it doesn't sling batter all over like a hand mixer does.
Today I used it to mix a 4 pound batch of 75% hydration bread dough using the dough hook. No problems at all, the machine barely got warm to the touch.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Wheres a good place to get attachments, as well as are there any after market attachments that work as good as or better than kitchenaid?
View Quote

I've bought all my attachments off of Facebook Market Place. People buy it never use it and sell it cheap. I haven't paid more than 50% of new price.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#44]
What do y’all think about the 7qt bowl lifts?

Looks like they take the same bowls as the smaller ones, so you don’t need to use all 7qt.

The magic is that according the the KA website, the 7 is 1.3hp, where the smaller ones are like 5/8hp. Seems like a big jump, and if we really only use a 5qt bowl, it should last forever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top