Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive been holding off buying a bambu P1S because I wanted to wait for their large format, but the lawsuit has me a little nervous about availability in the future.

My main interest is ABS since I only ever ever dabbled with PLA on my Ender 5+ and CR10s pro because of the work involved in making them capable of doing stronger materials.

Do you guys think I should hold off or just bite the bullet?  Main use would be printing gun stuff, RC car parts, and random household items.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nsw8148:
Ive been holding off buying a bambu P1S because I wanted to wait for their large format, but the lawsuit has me a little nervous about availability in the future.

My main interest is ABS since I only ever ever dabbled with PLA on my Ender 5+ and CR10s pro because of the work involved in making them capable of doing stronger materials.

Do you guys think I should hold off or just bite the bullet?  Main use would be printing gun stuff, RC car parts, and random household items.
View Quote

I'd buy now. But I'd opt for the X1C.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Is it really worth twice the price?  I'm not broke, but still operating on a budget and the cursory looking I did didnt seem worth it.

I was able to add a bunch of filament, accessories, shipping to Alaska, and still come out at less than an X1.

Link Posted: 8/19/2024 1:36:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#4]
I'm also kind of curious. seems to me the p1 made the x series mostly obsolete. X1 has lidar, a better screen and a better camera. what else is there?
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 2:00:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 2:17:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I want to like the A1, but nother open air bedslingers just doesn't do anything for me these days.

Switchwire > A1

But I like klipper these days.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Is it really worth twice the price?  I'm not broke, but still operating on a budget and the cursory looking I did didnt seem worth it.

I was able to add a bunch of filament, accessories, shipping to Alaska, and still come out at less than an X1.

View Quote

Biggest thing for me was it can auto calibrate more using the LIDAR. It can calculate K Values automatically and do a K Value calculation before every print. You can calculate them manually but I've found that K values can shift a bit roll to roll and amount of moisture in the roll impacts K Value as well. So I have started calibrating K Value before every print.

Only X1C does that.

I also like the screen a lot better. Easier for printing and modifying settings on screen. You can swap filaments on the AMS visually, you can more easily skip failed parts mid print, etc etc.

It also comes with hardened extruder gears, vs needing to be upgraded.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Biggest thing for me was it can auto calibrate more using the LIDAR. It can calculate K Values automatically and do a K Value calculation before every print. You can calculate them manually but I've found that K values can shift a bit roll to roll and amount of moisture in the roll impacts K Value as well. So I have started calibrating K Value before every print.
View Quote

What built plate(s) are you using.  I have not been doing calibration since switching to the textured PEI plate.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mPisi:

What built plate(s) are you using.  I have not been doing calibration since switching to the textured PEI plate.
View Quote

I have a smooth PEI for original calculations.

Lately I've been doing calibrations on the fly on a textured plate.

It cautions against doing that but I've had zero issues and find the models still to be accurate. That said I'm using a 0.6mm nozzle. If I was using a 0.4 I may just have to either use smooth PEI all the time or accept that I can calibrate on smooth and translate over to the textured and trust that K Values are staying consistent.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 10:26:56 PM EDT
[#10]
My lidar has been non functional for a couple of weeks.
All the filament I have on hand is already calibrated, so I keep forgetting to look into it again.
IMHO manually calibrated filament prints slightly better, but as stated, it does drift with open time. It's really nice to throw a new spool on for a quickie print and not worry about calibration.

At work we run a p1s. It's always running polymaker petg, and I've never recalibrate between spools. (Same with the mk4 and xmax3)
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 1:20:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

Print failure detection
View Quote
but bambu never fail.
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 1:39:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Tholo:
My lidar has been non functional for a couple of weeks.
All the filament I have on hand is already calibrated, so I keep forgetting to look into it again.
IMHO manually calibrated filament prints slightly better, but as stated, it does drift with open time. It's really nice to throw a new spool on for a quickie print and not worry about calibration.

At work we run a p1s. It's always running polymaker petg, and I've never recalibrate between spools. (Same with the mk4 and xmax3)
View Quote
Have you cleaned the lidar sensor?

Not sure if this will link correctly...
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

My opinion.....no it's not worth it. Idgaf about the screen, I use the app or control through my computer anyways.

I'm considering getting a P1S just to do my engineering filaments. Not gonna bother with the AMS on that machine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Got my P1S set up last night. This thing is a friggin' incredible!!  Coming from an old Ender 3 and an Ender 3 S1 Pro, the difference is just mind blowing.  What would have been a 15 hour print on the Enders is a 5 hour print on the Bambu.  I also ordered the hardened steel hot end and it will be here some time next week.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Midyew5959:
Got my P1S set up last night. This thing is a friggin' incredible!!  Coming from an old Ender 3 and an Ender 3 S1 Pro, the difference is just mind blowing.  What would have been a 15 hour print on the Enders is a 5 hour print on the Bambu.  I also ordered the hardened steel hot end and it will be here some time next week.
View Quote
You will need the hardened extruder gear too if you want to print with abrasives.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
You will need the hardened extruder gear too if you want to print with abrasives.
View Quote

Yes, I also got that as well.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:23:59 AM EDT
[#18]
mine showed up. ( heat treated stuff) havent put it in yet. printed some matte OD green stuff today for my RC crawler. I noticed some weird loose strands while it was printing. let it finish and it looks ok. peeled it off the plate and discovered the part I printed (from thingiverse. didnt really look at it) had 2 spots of flat fully unsupported print about 1.5" long. looks like a mess of spiderwebs on the bottom but the top if smooth and its usable. blew my mind. Ender never would have done that. lol.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm about to pull the trigger on a P1S, but can it print without being connected to the internet?
Does it need to be connected to the Bambu Labs cloud?
Can you put files on an SD card and load them directly to the printer?

Thx
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By rainmaker9:
I'm about to pull the trigger on a P1S, but can it print without being connected to the internet?
Does it need to be connected to the Bambu Labs cloud?
Can you put files on an SD card and load them directly to the printer?

Thx
View Quote

Yes.
No.
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm sure all the above is true but you want to use their stuff unless you really have your tin foil on tight. the screen sucks and its so well setup with their app or software.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:37:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
I'm sure all the above is true but you want to use their stuff unless you really have your tin foil on tight. the screen sucks and its so well setup with their app or software.
View Quote

For what it's worth I don't disagree with you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 3:52:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rainmaker9] [#23]
View Quote

Thanks!
My workshop is too far from the house wifi. I'll probably run a Cat6 line or booster to feed it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

We need some 3d models saying "Taiwan #1", Xi as Winnie the Pooh, "mandate of heaven", and other forbidden memes in China.  Print those first and they'll put you on a blacklist to not monitor?  Or just brick your Bambu, one or the other.  Or send a command to do max heating without kill switches, burn down your house.  OK we'll call it a draw.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

There are screen upgrades. Here ya go.

Panda Touch - Screen Upgrade for Bambu Lab P1P/S

xtouch Bambu Lab P1P/P1S touch screen upgrade guide
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By gtfoxy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9p361eqZmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Av64TRznlI
View Quote
Stupid use of money IMHO but you do you boo boo
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:57:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#27]
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9p361eqZmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Av64TRznlI

Wow, such edge.

I have an X1C, so…. I’m good.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Wow, such edge.

I have an X1C, so . I'm good.
View Quote
Add up the cost of the upgraydds ans you start to quickly close the gap of the X1C.  Panda touch has some legit uses for a print farm, but most folks have one printer so it's not super useful. The slicer integration, so long as the printer is connected to WiFi (even in LAN only mode) make the need for those devices moot.

It's not edge, it's looking at the numbers.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 6:36:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#29]
Add up the cost of the upgraydds ans you start to quickly close the gap of the X1C.  Panda touch has some legit uses for a print farm, but most folks have one printer so it's not super useful. The slicer integration, so long as the printer is connected to WiFi (even in LAN only mode) make the need for those devices moot.

View All Quotes

Wow, such edge.

I have an X1C, so . I'm good.

Not disagreeing with the assessment, as I would tend to agree, it came across as snarky when all I was doing is being supportive pointing out he has options if he didn’t like the control panel.

He just bought it so the option to buy an X1 to begin with is out the window. Hell, it took him long enough to come to terms with a P1’s price to actually pull the trigger.

So at this point all I can do is work with where people are at & be supportive with their decisions even though I, when in the same position, chose differently.

There are times I like the additional functionality, & navigation, of the X1 display. So for those already with a P1, it’s an option to gain that functionality that I appreciate.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 2:17:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#30]
Originally Posted By rainmaker9:

Thanks!
My workshop is too far from the house wifi. I'll probably run a Cat6 line or booster to feed it.
View Quote
same, I already have ethernet in my garage and setup a WAP just for the printer. fuckers were too cheap to give us a ethernet jack. if there was an affordable replacement touch screen I might entertain it but so far they are all piggy back add on screens while the stock unit stays. not a fan of that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

I just bought the Xtouch module for less than $4.00.  I've spent much more on much worse.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By mPisi:

We need some 3d models saying "Taiwan #1", Xi as Winnie the Pooh, "mandate of heaven", and other forbidden memes in China.  Print those first and they'll put you on a blacklist to not monitor?  Or just brick your Bambu, one or the other.  Or send a command to do max heating without kill switches, burn down your house.  OK we'll call it a draw.
View Quote

All this stuff about the cloud and Chinese servers is way overblown. The handy app and the ability to control the printer from outside the local LAN is a choice. It is convenient and adds functionality but as Obsessed pointed out you can set it for LAN access only.

Even if you have the cloud enabled for machine control and notifications if you use a micro SD card in the unit as long as you are on your local LAN. you can send directly to the card and bypass the cloud upload of your data entirely.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#33]

Windex is a release agent.

PETG sticks so well you can damage the plate.

Wndex allows the print to come off after cooling but not so well that it comes off when heated.

I use a paper towel and spray the sheet lightly, wipe it evenly, and go to town. It takes about 5 seconds.

You can't print PLA until after you wash the plate with dawn. PLA won't stick to a Windexed plate.

I have found that plates can still be damaged with alcohol. So I never use it now. Dawn and index only for anything from PLA to PETG to CPE to CPTG to ASA to ABS. Only need Windex and soap.
View Quote

I just tried Windex tonight for PETG. So far so good. Once the plate cooled, the prints popped right off light it was PETG. Thanks for this tip!
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By davewvu86:

I just tried Windex tonight for PETG. So far so good. Once the plate cooled, the prints popped right off light it was PETG. Thanks for this tip!
View Quote
White Rain hair spray works as well.  But, telling your wife why you bought windex is probably easier .
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Saker13:
White Rain hair spray works as well.  But, telling your wife why you bought windex is probably easier .
View Quote

Windex is also cheaper and the nozzle doesn't clog as easily too!

And you can clean glass!
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Saker13:
Have you cleaned the lidar sensor?

Not sure if this will link correctly...
View Quote
I followed the diagnosis process so far.
1st up is replacing the USB c cable. After some playing around with it, lidar still works for filament calibration but fails 1st layer inspection.

I hate just shooting parts without evidence, so i tried to dig through the logs, but they're encrypted, of all the stupid things to do.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By davewvu86:

View Quote

**popped right off like it was PLA
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Perhaps a dumb question but has anyone successfully added a chamber heater to their P1/X1 printer?  I vaguely recall there being an issue where I'd the chamber temp exceeded a certain threshold the printer would either cut off or the bed would stop heating. But I could be wrong. My memory is kinda crap.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 6:48:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Perhaps a dumb question but has anyone successfully added a chamber heater to their P1/X1 printer?  I vaguely recall there being an issue where I'd the chamber temp exceeded a certain threshold the printer would either cut off or the bed would stop heating. But I could be wrong. My memory is kinda crap.
View Quote

That’s a new one to me.

I don’t know what that threshold would be.

I’d have to go back & look, but I think a YT’r did all the insulating & got his up to like 52C.

I played around and got the temp of the room my printer is in to 85F & the chamber got to 48C along with some insulation.

I wanted an X1E for the chamber heater.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 12:08:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gage] [#40]
View Quote
@K1rodeoboater

This guy did a DIY heater. I haven't watched it yet.
Bambulab X1C - $50 HEATED CHAMBER
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Gage:
@K1rodeoboater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuuyrffuF30
View Quote
@Gage thanks I'll check that out.  

You the BLC Gage?
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#42]

You the BLC Gage?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gage:
@K1rodeoboater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuuyrffuF30

You the BLC Gage?
no problem.
No, not the BLC Gage.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 1:31:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bubbahana] [#43]
Just brought home a P1S with AWS from microcenter... what do I need to know

ETA:  Holy shit this is way better than my old Sidewinder X1!
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By bubbahana:
Just brought home a P1S with AWS from microcenter... what do I need to know

ETA:  Holy shit this is way better than my old Sidewinder X1!
View Quote
that pretty much sums it up. I have maybe done 15 prints or so with mine with literally zero tweaking. plug it in set it up and print. ABS petg PLA all of it just works.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Just made the hour drive to microcenter outside of philly and picked up a x1 carbon with ams! subbing to this thread as well! ill get it all up and going tmw.  I have an anycubic vyper so im sure this will be a decent upgrade
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 7:12:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By MrMackey:
Just made the hour drive to microcenter outside of philly and picked up a x1 carbon with ams! subbing to this thread as well! ill get it all up and going tmw.  I have an anycubic vyper so im sure this will be a decent upgrade
View Quote

Welcome to the club.

Do they sell much for Bambu accessories?
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 8:47:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MrMackey] [#48]

Welcome to the club.

Do they sell much for Bambu accessories?
View Quote

Yes they seemed to have a bunch of stuff! I’m new to the bambu world but I’ve made the trip there a few times to build some gaming pc’s. The staff there is absolutely incredible every single time.

Set up time!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By MrMackey:

Yes they seemed to have a bunch of stuff! I’m new to the bambu world but I’ve made the trip there a few times to build some gaming pc’s. The staff there is absolutely incredible every single time.

Set up time!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/587392/IMG_2113_jpeg-3316495.JPG
View Quote

You'll need to print rings for your cardboard spools more than likely.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#50]

You'll need to print rings for your cardboard spools more than likely.
View Quote

I’ve noticed that! Thank you!!
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top