BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MrMackey:

Yes they seemed to have a bunch of stuff! I'm new to the bambu world but I've made the trip there a few times to build some gaming pc's. The staff there is absolutely incredible every single time.

Set up time!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/587392/IMG_2113_jpeg-3316495.JPG
View Quote
those walls are bringing back memories.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#2]

I’ve noticed that! Thank you!!
View Quote

I've had good luck with the "flat" versions from user "AU3D" - I've tried fuzzy skin and regular and they both work exceptionally well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#3]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

You'll need to print rings for your cardboard spools more than likely.

Next will be spool dryers.

The S4 is an excellent unit.

I have 2.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

What's the downside to running the carboard? I printed some rings for my polymaker and it fit some rolls and didnt fit others, so ive been running with a mix of them that have the rings and some that dont. I haven't been able to discern a different in performance between either of them in the ams.
View Quote

As they roll in the AMS, the cardboard reels eventually produce a bunch of cardboard dust that gets into the mechanism and causes issues.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 7:25:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#6]
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#7]

i havent printed a full roll of the cardboard stuff yet so i guess i just havent printed enough to have had a problem yet.

guess im printing rings when im done printing out my snapon drawer organizers i made while practicing in fusion 360.
View Quote

Issue is three fold.

First, most of the time cardboard spools don't get enough traction to retract filament properly, especially as the roll gets lighter.

Second, dust build up.

Third, the cardboard can actually wear a groove in the rubber from the slipping.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 8:35:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 2:15:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chevrofreak] [#9]
are there any non fiber reinforced nylons that are decent?
View Quote

I am a big fan of Overture Easy Nylon.  Create your own print profile using their recommendations and it will print very well.  It is some of the most sturdy filament I have ever used, so try not to need supports as they will be impossible to remove.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#10]

I've had good luck with the "flat" versions from user "AU3D" - I've tried fuzzy skin and regular and they both work exceptionally well.
View Quote

Thanks brother! I printed them out yesterday while I was smoking some meat on the Traeger haha. I’m printing a poop bucket right now and these clipped onto the spools pretty well. Lesson learned and microcenter suckered me in with a sale on pla when I was there. I’ll probably stick with some plastic spools here on out if I can. My wife opened her mouth about the printer and all the girls in her office want shit printed out. Ass, filiament, or grass….i don’t print for free I told her. She wasn’t amused.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 9:41:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#11]
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Thanks brother! I printed them out yesterday while I was smoking some meat on the Traeger haha. I’m printing a poop bucket right now and these clipped onto the spools pretty well. Lesson learned and microcenter suckered me in with a sale on pla when I was there. I’ll probably stick with some plastic spools here on out if I can. My wife opened her mouth about the printer and all the girls in her office want shit printed out. Ass, filiament, or grass….i don’t print for free I told her. She wasn’t amused.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/587392/IMG_2147_jpeg-3317504.JPG
View Quote

Is this GD? Pics of wife with coworker girls not loading.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#13]

appears to be sold out on their website. amazon says wont ship till end of October or early November. Matterhackers has some of their own brand thats but its in .75kg spools and its more expensive than the GF/CF reinforced stuff from bambu
View Quote

I'm not sure why, but everyone was out. I have 4 rolls pre-ordered through Amazon.  I am using it to print a monocore suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#14]
So I just ordered the P1S combo and browsing around, it looks like I might be able to use carbon reinforced filament. Is that true? Will I need any upgrades to make that happen?
I can't wait, I've had an Ender 5 por for a while now and this looks like a nice upgrade.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 11:11:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gage] [#15]
Originally Posted By madwis15:
So I just ordered the P1S combo and browsing around, it looks like I might be able to use carbon reinforced filament. Is that true? Will I need any upgrades to make that happen?
I can't wait, I've had an Ender 5 for a while now and this looks like a nice upgrade.
View Quote

You'll need to get the hardened steel hotend (or complete hot end) .4mm or larger, and the hardened steel extruder gear assembly
Extruder gear assembly
Hotends
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 11:56:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: madwis15] [#16]
Originally Posted By Gage:

You'll need to get the hardened steel hotend (or complete hot end) .4mm or larger, and the hardened steel extruder gear assembly
Extruder gear assembly
Hotends
View Quote

Thanks, I did order the hardened steel hot end along with the printer. I guess I'll order the Extruder too.
What kind of things do you typically print with the carbon anyways?
What CF filaments do you normally use?
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Thanks, I did order the hardened steel hot end along with the printer. I guess I'll order the Extruder too.
What kind of things do you typically print with the carbon anyways?
What CF filaments do you normally use?
View Quote
I used PETG CF for some tool mounts to hang things in my garage.  Like the M18 leaf blower.  Probably overkill and PETG would have been fine.  For me the PLA CF would be just for appearance vs regular PLA.

I haven't messed with any of the Nylon CF filaments yet, but I'm sure I'll experiment soon.  If only to see if I can get good prints.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By gtfoxy:

There are screen upgrades. Here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9p361eqZmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Av64TRznlI
View Quote

Got my Xtouch set up a few days ago.  It is a significant improvement over the stock P1S screen.  When I ordered the screen it was on sale for less than $4.00 with free shipping and it was delivered in about week which is impressive coming from AliExpress.  I printed the Teaching Tech case from the video.  10/10 would recommend if you want a touch screen for not a whole lot of money.  Super simple to get set up.

It boggles my mind that this works as well as it does and costed less than $4.00.  They aren't on sale for dirt cheap anymore but still only cost about $12. I wish I would have bought a few of them just to have a couple extra for other projects.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 9:09:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: memsu] [#19]
I can't wait, I've had an Ender 5 por for a while now and this looks like a nice upgrade.
View Quote

You aren't supposed to use carbon reinforced filament within the AMS though. Have to use external spool holder for that or print from a dry box.

Your Ender 5 is still an awesome printer. You can convert your Ender 5 to a Zero G Merc 1 with a Rapido hotend and print PLA/PETG faster than the P1S. Especially if you put a big nozzle on it. Print all the ABS parts for it on the P1S as the first big project on it.

They have conversion kits out now with the hardware you need. It's actually turned out to be one of my more reliable printers.

https://zerog.one/

Joining The 6 Minute Club! ZeroG Mercury One Hydra Speed Benchy
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 1:50:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I run PETG and PLA CF filaments through my AMS almost daily,  No issues thus far.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Midyew5959:

Got my Xtouch set up a few days ago.  It is a significant improvement over the stock P1S screen.  When I ordered the screen it was on sale for less than $4.00 with free shipping and it was delivered in about week which is impressive coming from AliExpress.  I printed the Teaching Tech case from the video.  10/10 would recommend if you want a touch screen for not a whole lot of money.  Super simple to get set up.

It boggles my mind that this works as well as it does and costed less than $4.00.  They aren't on sale for dirt cheap anymore but still only cost about $12. I wish I would have bought a few of them just to have a couple extra for other projects.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Midyew5959:
Originally Posted By gtfoxy:

There are screen upgrades. Here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9p361eqZmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Av64TRznlI

Didn’t realize they were that cheap.

Cool.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 9:11:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: delemorte] [#23]
Finally decided to try support materials and how to set it up in bambu studio.

WTF was I waiting for. That shits awesome!!!  The parts with supports were smoother than what was sitting on the plate and peeled right off. Zero hassles.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

https://imgur.com/a/how-why-to-print-with-support-interface-material-DhoQgtV
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By delemorte:
Finally decided to try support materials and how to set it up in bambu studio.

WTF was I waiting for. That shits awesome!!!  The parts with supports were smoother than what was sitting on the plate and peeled right off. Zero hassles.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/127073/1000009183_jpg-3326157.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/127073/1000009182_jpg-3326158.JPG

https://imgur.com/a/how-why-to-print-with-support-interface-material-DhoQgtV
View Quote
You should try the Bambu PVA support filament.  After printing, put the print in some water and the PVA disolves.

Or, use PLA as a support for PETG and vice versa, they don't stick well to each other.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Saker13:
You should try the Bambu PVA support filament.  After printing, put the print in some water and the PVA disolves.

Or, use PLA as a support for PETG and vice versa, they don't stick well to each other.
View Quote

I've seen the dissolvable stuff and am now considering it.

I had considered petg but was worried about temp differences and what not.. but the purpose built support is super sweet. Regret not trying it out previously
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 8:49:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#26]
Originally Posted By delemorte:

I've seen the dissolvable stuff and am now considering it.

I had considered petg but was worried about temp differences and what not.. but the purpose built support is super sweet. Regret not trying it out previously
View Quote

Don't bother with PVA unless you need it dissolvable specifically.

Use PETG for PLA and PLA for PETG. I do this literally all the time. The purge sequence needs to be long to get proper layer adhesion but that gives plenty of time for temp difference.

I've used this technique extensively, and it works perfectly. Set top interface distance to zero, and top interface spacing to zero. Makes a perfect overhang every time.

This is yellow PETG with gray PLA as the interface material. Pic taken at the end of the interfacing top layer.

Here is the finished product, with the center surface supported by the gray PLA in the first Pic. It's very smooth and evenly textured without any drooping or gapping.

Link Posted: 9/20/2024 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#27]

Don't bother with PVA unless you need it dissolvable specifically.

Use PETG for PLA and PLA for PETG. I do this literally all the time. The purge sequence needs to be long to get proper layer adhesion but that gives plenty of time for temp difference.

I've used this technique extensively, and it works perfectly. Set top interface distance to zero, and top interface spacing to zero. Makes a perfect overhang every time.

This is yellow PETG with gray PLA as the interface material. Pic taken at the end of the interfacing top layer.

Here is the finished product, with the center surface supported by the gray PLA in the first Pic. It's very smooth and evenly textured without any drooping or gapping.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/1000012396-3327371.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/1000012397-3323957.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/1000012398-3323956.jpg
View Quote

Very cool. Thank you
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm considering ditching my Ender 5 and going Bambu, but my printer area is relegated to the basement so I'm worried the AMS's dessicant won't keep up with the moisture. The dehumidifier is set to 35% and runs on and off, right now I run all of my prints with the filament in a food dehydrator at 54C for the entirety of the print, with bowden tube all the way to the direct drive motor. New rolls get 12+ hours of dehydration before they go into sealed storage.

Choice would be P1S or X1C, either with AMS.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 11:13:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#29]
Originally Posted By Kharn:
I'm considering ditching my Ender 5 and going Bambu, but my printer area is relegated to the basement so I'm worried the AMS's dessicant won't keep up with the moisture. The dehumidifier is set to 35% and runs on and off, right now I run all of my prints with the filament in a food dehydrator at 54C for the entirety of the print, with bowden tube all the way to the direct drive motor. New rolls get 12+ hours of dehydration before they go into sealed storage.

Kharn
View Quote

It will do fine.

Only watch out is PLA gets very brittle when it gets wet so if you leave a roll in there awhile the portion in the tube gets wet and will break off in the AMS. Not fun.

Thats my only real complaint honestly. Otherwise it's great.

OH, don't microwave ASA dessicant containers. Learned that the hard way.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Kharn
View Quote

I’m planning on moving up from my ender 3 if there’s a Black Friday sale that seems good. X1C with AMS and I need to figure out what other things that they offer to add on when I do it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By APPARITION:

I’m planning on moving up from my ender 3 if there’s a Black Friday sale that seems good. X1C with AMS and I need to figure out what other things that they offer to add on when I do it.
View Quote

Do you need the X1C? The P1S combo is 849 now, +29 ship.

I don't know if it goes lower.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 12:52:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#32]
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 1:11:27 AM EDT
[#33]

i have had bad luck with support materials at the interface with smaller tree supports like on the trigger guards and what not on glocks, goes everywhere and almost starts a spaghetti. but then i have great results with it on large parts where teh support interface is very large. its weird because i dont have problems if i just use the same material as support, i just have problems removing it.

any tips?
View Quote

I'd have to see the part print settings but common issues are support trees breaking off. Make sure you get all tree trunks on the same brim field if possible. That helps a ton. Then limit interface to two layers, and only use the opposite material on those two layers. That allows for two filament changes only.

If you want to give an failed print's settings I could help troubleshoot.

One more issue that could be caused by smaller prints is inadequate layer time. Heat retention causes curling. Curling causes raised edges and raised edges cause crashes or broken supports.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 1:13:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#34]
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#35]

It will do fine.

Only watch out is PLA gets very brittle when it gets wet so if you leave a roll in there awhile the portion in the tube gets wet and will break off in the AMS. Not fun.

View All Quotes

Kharn

It will do fine.

I don't leave filament out in the open, I use five gallon buckets with the spin-top lids and desiccant inside to store my open rolls so if I'm not starting another print within the next hour, I take the spool off and put it back in the bucket.
I think I'm heading to Microcenter today, wife and one kid have tickets to a show so I just have to bribe the other kid to not be a menace.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ctfish15:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ctfish15:

Probably don’t need it but you never know and I’d rather go all in.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 12:30:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#37]

View Quote

Go all in. It's worth it.

One of these days we will convince Rat to go all in too.

He still needs to build his Voron. Bambu will probably release a large format before he finishes it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#38]

He still needs to build his Voron. Bambu will probably release a large format before he finishes it.
View All Quotes

The filament calibration feature was what made me go for the X1C vs the P1 series. Sure I might have gone 3 months without changing anything on my Ender if I was printing stuff with the same filament for the same hobby, but when things went wrong or I wanted to switch applications, it was 2-3 weeks of pure misery getting new settings dialed in.

I hit Microcenter this afternoon, got home in time for dinner, ate while reading the quick start booklet, and had it printing the six piece toy that comes loaded into memory while the toys were being put away before bed. Holy crap does it make some weird noises during calibration and vibrate the hell out of my crappy, sheet metal Harbor Freight tool stand, I need a heavy duty workbench for it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#39]

The filament calibration feature was what made me go for the X1C vs the P1 series. Sure I might have gone 3 months without changing anything on my Ender if I was printing stuff with the same filament for the same hobby, but when things went wrong or I wanted to switch applications, it was 2-3 weeks of pure misery getting new settings dialed in.

I hit Microcenter this afternoon, got home in time for dinner, ate while reading the quick start booklet, and had it printing the six piece toy that comes loaded into memory while the toys were being put away before bed. Holy crap does it make some weird noises during calibration and vibrate the hell out of my crappy, sheet metal Harbor Freight tool stand, I need a heavy duty workbench for it.

Kharn
View Quote

I ended up building a bench into the wall of the basement.

Now it just makes weird noises throughout the whole house.

Link Posted: 9/22/2024 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Kharn
View Quote

Exact same thing.  My E3's were dialed in to run Inland PLA+ at that was all I could ever do. Had a shelf full of other filaments I couldn't use. Once the X1C showed up I was able to burn through everything. Various PLA's PETG's ABS, TPU's. Sealed, open, wet, old...etc

It really made the hobby enjoyable and fun again.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 5:56:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kharn] [#41]
It shits on the floor more than a toddler.

Kharn
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Back in June I put the Hydra Pro mod in my AMS. It's been reliable and a worthwhile mod.

Humebeam on printables  designed it.

Basically, you print new parts for the spool holder and replace the injection molded parts. The electronics and such from the original transfer over. Not very difficult to do at all.
Printed parts are available from Matterhackers and Voxelab I think. But you've got a 3d printer right there. I printed everything in ABS.

The main benefit is that Atomic spools work way better. They're on the larger side both in width and diameter, plus Atomic seems to fill the spools to the brim which would rub against the feeder causing jams.

light, nearly empty cardboard spools jump around, especially if the filament is curled tightly against the hub.
Page / 15
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top