Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2010 3:12:46 PM EDT
Have SEAL's ever worn black berets? I was talking to a guy at work today who says he was on subs, a Spook....could be both I guess, wore a black beret as part of his uniform and pretty much came out and said he was a SEAL............He talks...........a lot..........He spent a week at a school on how to eliminate dogs and other animals according to him anyway.

The guy just don't sound right!

I don't know his last name, but I will find out next week.

He seems like a nice enough guy, but it burns my ass if he is talking shit!

Link Posted: 4/9/2010 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody in the Navy wears a beret.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I forgot to mention, that he mentioned SEAL Team 2...........supposed to be a Viet Nam vet also
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm trying to find my copy right now but I was positive that there was a pic of Dick Marcinko on the original Rogue Warrior book that showed him wearing a beret while on a seal weapon publicity tour just after his first tour in Vietnam.

-V
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In Vietnam they did....Brown Water, Black Berets

Link Posted: 4/9/2010 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What about the boat crews in Apocolypse Now?

I have seen some Vietnam pics of Seals wearing berets but they were camo.

Link Posted: 4/9/2010 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm saying in terms of recently.

Link Posted: 4/9/2010 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Guys who rode boats don't talk at all, let alone lots
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#8]
As him what UDT/BudS class he was in and who his swim buddy was during said training....

That should tell you right there if he is full of shit.

-V
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]
You have to automatically be suspicious.  I've done quite a few things in my years in the military(not extreme hard core like SF or Rangers), know quite a few true badasses, and the vast majority of those I know who do that kind of stuff don't run their mouth about it.  I've pretty much noticed that the talkers were either qualifying school drop outs or wannabes.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/6563/imagevwraspximgsealtsbopb5.jpg

Boat crews in Vietnam wore South Vietnamese Navy black berets. Navy SEALs could've picked it up there.

Recently I've never seen a picture of any US Navy person in a beret.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Can you ask him for me how to dispatch an armadillo that's digging up my front lawn.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Did he offer you free jerky samples?
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Have SEAL's ever worn black berets? I was talking to a guy at work today who says he was on subs, a Spook....could be both I guess, wore a black beret as part of his uniform and pretty much came out and said he was a SEAL............He talks...........a lot..........He spent a week at a school on how to eliminate dogs and other animals according to him anyway.

Works on Subs. Check
Is a 'Spook". Check
Was a US Navy SEAL. Check.
Dept of Defense School for killing dogs that is not a Police Academy. Check

Sounds legit.

If he really was associated with the US Navy Riverine Force in Vietnam, ask him his call sign.

Notice this is a Vietnam era US Navy "The Brown Water Navy" sailor of the Mekong Delta but that does not equal US Navy SEAL.

RivRon15 sailors we were given camouflage berets.

Sailor with RADM Allen Bergner at Dong Tam
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#14]
The Stoner 63 indicates this may be a SEAL, if so he's wearing a camo beret.

Link Posted: 4/9/2010 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#15]
When I was stationed at Mare Island for school in 1989 the sailors assigned to Special Boat Unit 11 wore woodland BDU's and Black Berets. They were not SEAL's but performed riverine boat operations and trained closely with SEALs.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I suspect he was on SEAL Team Poser.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Find out his class # and last name. That's all you need as average graduation class was usually around 5 during that time. Contact VeriSeal or post here. You might be surprised who posts here.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#18]
11th acr wore black beret in 1977 when i was there.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#19]
The only berets the SEALs wore in Viet Nam were the ones they took from Chuck Norris––AFTER THEY KICKED HIS ASS!!

TC
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#20]
SEALs or not, why on earth would anyone wear a beret in a non garrison environment?
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
When I was stationed at Mare Island for school in 1989 the sailors assigned to Special Boat Unit 11 wore woodland BDU's and Black Berets. They were not SEAL's but performed riverine boat operations and trained closely with SEALs.

What school in Mare Island did you attend?
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Ask him how he did in the dive tower or how he handled The Flange.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I have his last name now. If anyone knows anyone that can loo this guy up I would appreciate it. He is a nice enough guy, likes to talk about guns and stuff. I just want to know how far this guy will talk shit.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

SEALs or not, why on earth would anyone wear a beret in a non garrison environment?

Rule 1 of SOF: Always look cool

Link Posted: 4/12/2010 4:12:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, I remember something about a SEAL Team in tiger stripes and berets... Ask him if Thomas Sullivan Magnum was his swim buddy...LOL. Does this guy wear a huge gold ring with a french cross on it?
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yeah, I remember something about a SEAL Team in tiger stripes and berets... Ask him if Thomas Sullivan Magnum was his swim buddy...LOL. Does this guy wear a huge gold ring with a french cross on it?

Nope, no ring

He lives near Springfield Mass.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, no ring

He lives near Springfield Mass.

Ah, yes. The home of SEAL Team Zero, the elite poseur unit.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have his last name now. If anyone knows anyone that can loo this guy up I would appreciate it. He is a nice enough guy, likes to talk about guns and stuff. I just want to know how far this guy will talk shit.

Thanks

IM sent
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I'm trying to find my copy right now but I was positive that there was a pic of Dick Marcinko on the original Rogue Warrior book that showed him wearing a beret while on a seal weapon publicity tour just after his first tour in Vietnam.

-V

Yeah I remember that picture.

Link Posted: 4/13/2010 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The only berets the SEALs wore in Viet Nam were the ones they took from Chuck Norris––AFTER THEY KICKED HIS ASS!!

TC

That made me chuckle, a lot.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nobody in the Navy wears a beret beanies.

Fixed!

Link Posted: 4/13/2010 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

+1 (also they make you look French)
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rule 1 of SOF: Always look cool

Seriously... never underestimate the value of looking cool.

Link Posted: 4/13/2010 4:14:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Sailor with RADM Allen Bergner at Dong Tam

That's Don Blankenship with RADM Bergner.
RADM Bergner passed away earlier this year.

More pictures on his web page - http://www.rivervet.com/uniforms.htm

Link Posted: 4/13/2010 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Stoner 63 indicates this may be a SEAL, if so he's wearing a camo beret.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/stoner_63-tfb.jpg

That's probably one of the most famous SEAL pics of all time.

That and this one.

Link Posted: 4/13/2010 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#36]
OPSEC, sub spooks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 (also they make you look French)

Oui!

I also hear they get you out of speeding tickets...
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I spent time with about 200 hundred different SEALS over the last 2 years, and NONE of them wore a beret of any kind.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#39]
see if he's on here anywhere, or maybe there is a contact link on the site you could ask.  http://www.sealtwo.org/

I know a guy on there, but not well enough that I would want to ask him about something like that.  He never even told me he was a SEAL, I heard it from someone else.  He actually never even mentioned being in the military to me, just talked about guns.  But there's pics on that site of him at one of the reunions so he's apparently the real deal.

ETA:  about 1/3 down the page there is a group pic of them in berets:  http://www.sealtwo.org/photoalbum08.htm.  There is also a box on the main page where you can do a search of the guy's name and see what comes up.  A search of the guy's name that I know brings up quite a bit.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Opening to Magnum PI, black beret
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top